• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
You guys misunderstand what my goal is.

My goal is to be unique/successful like i was in brawl. Just not with low tier. Mid tier is a good spot. Yes it's a challenge and yes some
Match-ups would cause me to suffer and yes it's all by choice but at least id still be looked at as "wow he does THAT with a non top/high tier?!?!?" It's one the greatest things to hear when playing smash.

Yeah, there are many ways to be "famous" but ANYBODY can discuss high level play with pros and theory craft with new gens. Just read stuff/watch videos and boom you will come off like a living smash dictionary. I don't want that. I want to produce results with a weaker (but not low tier) character to gain that "wow factor" like I had in brawl.

We each have our own personal goals and dreams. Shaya is cool with having a 200 Smash IQ, others are ok with being greninja/shulk/rosalina user #800000000 and some are ok with just simply picking who they like. I'm not, I want to be the best with a weaker char and wow people. It's less about caring what others think and more about being special/unique. MK user #20 may be god like but he will be forgotten quickly. But PaCMan user #1 with be remembered forever even if he can't beat MK user #20.

I guess you gotta main low tier for 6 years to see what I see

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, I still like to be known.
As do you.

I understand what you want, but I was just trying to alert you there are other ways of doing it. Nothing's stopping you from playing Shulk while still using another character in tournament. Hell there's a lot of stardom in people who aren't #1 at any character but are top 5 for multiple and use them all successfully (M2K is the only one left, and it's only in Melee), more Azens would be awesome.

Last edited:

Xyro77

To be honest with you, I cant focus on more than one char.I am a single minded nerd. I also wont have a ton of time (im super far behind on life things) to focus on keeping up with and beating a billion shulks. But 5 Samus or 5 DK or 5 yoshi....etc yeah i can easily do that. Again, i learned from brawl that no matter how much work you put in, low tier will never cut it. Mid tiers can and have so id like to give that a shot.

I cant speak for any tiers in smash 4 but id like to end up using one of the following

Miss Marth
Pac Attack
Falcon
ZS
Palutena

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hey Xyro what song is playing in the Shulk trailer during the in-game stuff? :applejack:

Xyro77

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Xyro, you want to be a low-tier hero. I understand. I knew someone who played a low tier character in Tekken and was considered one of the best in the world for that character before he quit.

But you've chosen a very difficult path.

Xyro77

Hey guys, its Xyro, legendary TO of the HOBO/WHOBO series and best USA Brawl Samus! Smash 4 is right around the corner and ive decided to announce my new tournament series "Texas Gaming Championships" or TGC for short. With this new series, the focus wont be solely on smash but rather many other Nintendo games as well. For now, i am offering Smash 4 on 3ds (WiiU will be added once its out), Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon X&Y but more games will be added as the series evolves.

The 1st event, The Road to TGC, is on November 1st here in Houston (Tx) at a familiar venue but will offer a combo i've never tried before. Free food and a $0 venue fee! This event is a pilot into my new TGC series and i want to try many new things, TO wise, so please come on out and enjoy the new series that will bring Tx back to its former "top 4 states in the usa for smash" status.

SWF tournament page
http://smashboards.com/threads/nov-...ouston-texas-free-venue-and-free-food.366489/

Facebook event page
https://www.facebook.com/events/1464546770489796

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Post a REAAAAAAAAAAAAL LINK.

Like so: http://imgur.com/a/F3lzv

Mii Fighters do have a default moveset.

A shame D3's dance is gone. But it was terrible anyways. But dat special treatment...

There is also a potential character unlock list going around. Looks like the (maybe) last character unlocks at 1000 matches. So even if you suicide on single stock matches, that'll be 16+ hours to unlock everyone (assuming 1 min for every match)

It's unlocking Mewtwo in Melee all over again...assuming the list is true.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
To be honest with you, I cant focus on more than one char.I am a single minded nerd. I also wont have a ton of time (im super far behind on life things) to focus on keeping up with and beating a billion shulks. But 5 Samus or 5 DK or 5 yoshi....etc yeah i can easily do that. Again, i learned from brawl that no matter how much work you put in, low tier will never cut it. Mid tiers can and have so id like to give that a shot.

I cant speak for any tiers in smash 4 but id like to end up using one of the following

Miss Marth
Pac Attack
Falcon
ZS
Palutena

Guess you're using Falcon

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Guess he's using Doc

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I getcha loud and clear Xyro.
Gonna be hard though. I don't know what I'll do if Sonic ends up being high or top.

I mean, I think I have a good idea of what I'll do, but I won't know until the game develops a bit.
At least I got Little Mac and Pac. :applejack:

Thanks for music sources. God this song is good.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
What the...why host a tournament when you have zero time to unlock everything...? That impatient?

Last edited:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
That's too close to release date. No-one's even going to have all the characters unlocked, even know how to properly play, etc.
Need to give some time for the game to breathe at least, Xyro's date on Nov. 1 will prob be my first smash 4 tourney.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You can probably play like 2-5 hours of Smash Run and unlock 60-80% of the content.

I like the super early stages of a game where nobody knows what they're doing. And it would be pretty funny to show up to the tourney blind/seeing who was able to get what in such a limited timeframe.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
From the supposed leaked list of unlock methods, if you're willing to grind out the vs matches, you would unlock maybe 5 characters.

Stages in Smash are usually unlocked by meeting very specific criteria, usually by playing all the other modes.

Highly doubtful everything will be unlocked in 2-5 hours. I don't think any of the Smash games have had everything unlocked in this time frame (maybe doable in 64)

Last edited:

Xyro77

I gave brawl 1-2 months before the first HOBO. Smash 4 I'm doing the same.

Launch day "tournaments" are pretty much fests

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
People are free to do what they want.

But Xyro is right, it is basically paying for a fest.

Denti

Smash Master
It's the hunger for that green paper, man. :applejack:
Since I'm getting Smash 4 in 6 days I won't be too clueless. Also Espy pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I'm top at PM as well as just entering the lower part of 10 in TX at Melee so this would be good for me financially if nothing else was happening. I was just wondering if I'd see any of ya'll.

edit: but it totally might be like an 8 man tourney and if so then screw that!!!

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
my first smash 4 tourney is gonna be as soon as it comes out because there's an anime convention in corpus the day it comes out and we'll be holding a tournament.

Speaking of that, since I'll be running it, what do you think would be an acceptable ruleset to just throw together? All I can think of so far is no items 3-4 stocks (idk if there's discussion on this, but I'm leaning on 3). I doubt I'll do anything about stages and just let them play on w/e they want since most of them won't care and the ones that do will just play each other on neutral looking stages like fd/sv/bf.

Suggestions would be helpful

Xyro77

3 stock
7min
No items
No custom moves
Ban the obviously bad stages like a "big blue" or "new pork city" type stuff.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Diddy can only pull one banana at a time. Pulling out a second one makes the first vanish.
RIP. :applejack:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I imagine he just does the animation and no naner comes out. That's what happened in Brawl. :applejack:

Denti

Smash Master
You're in the Texas top 10 at Melee?
Wow we're a ****ty state. :applejack:
Haha I'm on the rise, maybe not top 10 yet. I'm not grinding at Melee just kinda entering events and getting better. My best result has been all of DFW showed up and M2K and I got 3rd under Wobbles and M2K. I also took a game from Wobbles in LF. That's kinda good but our better Melee players didnt show. DFW is kinda weak.

Last edited:

Xyro77

how do you think I should handle characters?

Default roster only, or use whoever you have unlocked?
That is the problem with having an event 1 day after the game is released.

I'd tell them all characters are legal but mention that not all set-ups will have the full cast.

If people complain, tell them it's impossible to make everybody unlock all characters in 24 hours after the game is released.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Wasn't it confirmed that Shuttle Loop is basically a two hit Dolphin-Slash-esque move? Also, Dsmash has actual ending lag, and Tornado apparently has less hits and you can't rise nearly as high as in Brawl. And wasn't there a clip in one of the trailers where WFT actually hit MK with her Usmash during his Drill Rush and they didn't exchange hits?

Sounds like MK already got nerfed, but I imagine his tilts will still be amazing. Probably a solid mid-high tier if going by Brawl standards.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I've heard nothing about any of that other than his UP+B.

If it's true, he did get nerfed a decent amount. I'd be so happy.

Top Bottom