• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You can invite people to play, but they could up on your team or enemy team. No actual party matchmaking yet from my understanding, which is...dumb.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
No flip that feature doesnt come for another 2 months you can only invite friends but teams are set up randomly.. :/

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 So Team Kidz Bop Is Confirmed For TGC 3 (Onion + Jellybeans) Jellybeans recently getting 17th at Comicpalooza. or was it 33rd? And Onion, Being the Caller Of Money Matches, Absorbing All the Knowledge of Both Old And New Gens into his tiny little Mind. Are You Ready?

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
A platoon sounds good in a couple of months I'll wait till then I guess until I hear more reviews from you guys

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
I will continue to beat onion until the end of time
Your green Samus will be my ***** one day. I WILL beat you, old man, and after I take your money, I will take over Houston! Mwahahahaha! You're going down, Nerd!

Onions>Poop!

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Is there any benefit/bonus from getting the game digitally. If not ill run up and get a physical copy

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Is there any benefit/bonus from getting the game digitally. If not ill run up and get a physical copy
I always get physical copy. That way you can let people borrow it or trade/sell it when you are done.

With digital you can do neither.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Gamestop preorder had the DLC codes for free Mii costums in Smash in summer.

Otherwise no bonus

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Anybody from Sync's going to the Sunday weekly?
Might stop by tomorrow afternoon so just wondering

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Wow, Chargers suck in turf war. I'm guessing they will be good in that capture the flag mode because they literally let you charge with a path of ink, but man. It's a little dissappointing for now, but I'll have to be Roller or a Splattershotter in the meanwhile.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Yea Gaius, some of us will go I think.

Knife, Having the highest range is a big deal for controlling areas of the map with high ground. It also one-shots people so no retreating/hiding when they get hurt. The 2 maps I played had decent high vantage points and chargers are actually a bit annoying because you can't reach them without going way around.

If anything I'd say having at least 1 charger on each team to counter snipe is important.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Roller has its place, but I think the splattershots are far too versatile to be overtaken by anything else.

Especially since you apparently need to back out of lobbies to switch

RunC.T.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RunC.T.
3DS FC
1204-0385-5852
rollers can be amazing with the right setup. for me I have:
Kraken Roller/jump point(makes a beacon you can teleport to)/Kraken special(invincible and OHKOs)

abilities: swift swim(faster when in ink)
inkling speed up(faster when humanoid)
Attack up 2x(basically OHKO even with midrange attack)
ink saver(decreases ink consumption)
quick respawn 2x(respawn rate halfed.)
special up(special gague recovers faster.)

well that goes for any weapon really but this is my best setup at the moment. might use blaster and disruptor tho.

Xyro77

I havnt touched online yet. Wanna beat offline first.

I have questions.

1. Can your offline gear go online?

2. How do I get XYZ perks added to my weapon of choice? Let's say I want 2x damage. How do I add it to the grenade launcher gun?

Xyro77

I don't watch trash smash aka custom smash

Is splattershot the sniper?

Last edited:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
what are some of y'alls' thoughts on splatoon after playing it for the weekend?

Xyro77

what are some of y'alls' thoughts on splatoon after playing it for the weekend?
Offline consists of:

1. A 6 hour single player story that teaches you the basics of the game in a super smart way. Each new world forced you to remember/use the previous teachings and combines them with new things to complete the world.

2. Offline mtiplayer is a "Pop the balloon to get more points and kill the foe to reduce their points" 1vs1 fight. Fun for a bit but def not Splatoon's draw.

The one online mode unlocked to the world is this Online mode called "turf war." You and 3 others are teamed up bs 4 ransoms from across the world and yall see who can capture the most ground with ink. SUPER fun. Especially when you have like 8 weapons to choose from and all of them
Have advantages and disadvantages.

Oh and there is gear you can find and buy to use use to customize your character's looks and stats. Each piece of gear (hat, shoes, shirt....etc) has stats that buff or nerf you. You can socket them to further buff you.

When you level up, it unlocks new gear and weapons in the shops.

Also, when the majority of the public reaches past lol 10 in online battles, Nontendo will unlock a new battle mode for us. I like this.

FREE DLC consisting of weapons, gear, modes and stages will be released by Nintendo in the coming months.

The game is super addicting and the art style and design is something I KNOW you will appreciate.

Last edited:

z00ted

i've already been researching the game's mechanics and content.. leveling up and gear system, etc. the star thing they've got going on the gear is like my favorite aspect i've seen so far, reminds me of maplestory ^^ but other than all of that, allan your opinion on the game is super fun i'm guessing? i wanna hear more of what's actually grabbing you while you play that sets it apart from other shooters that i can't hear anywhere else than out of you guys' mouths cause i know you all so well. that's all great to hear though, i'll probably pick it up tomorrow if i can find a wii u somewhere for cheap

you're 100% right about the entire mood or aesthetic of the game, i absolutely love it
also, can you use the wii u pro controller online?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I don't really like shooters, but I'm enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would. The winning condition being that you have to cover the most turf makes it very different from other shooters. I love that weapons can also be used defensively and not just for kills. Painting the ground not only gives you points towards winning, but it also gives you and your team a huge advantage in mobility and stealth. Mastering your weapon is going to be all about how well you can cover the ground with enemies around and using that painted ground for making safe approaches or escapes. Another thing I like is that you can jump to another player or beacon anywhere on the map at any time. So if you see that someone on your team needs help covering an area, you can just super jump to them and help them right away. I just love how mobile you are in this game.

This game seems way more team based than other shooters too. Having one afk, disconnected or just a really bad player on your team is pretty much an automatic loss. This can make it really hard to carry bad teams not matter how good you are. Having no voice chat only makes this worse. This is the type of game where having some kind of communication is important. But there's always Skype when you're playing on teams with friends.

One thing I hate is the map variety. You can only play on two different maps at a time and the matches are really short. These maps change up every few hours. It can make the game feel really repetitive since you're only playing on two maps. Hopefully they add a lot more content later on. I can see a lot of people getting bored of this game after about a week because of this.

I think the Wii U gamepad is the only controller you can use online, but it's not bad at all. You need the gamepad screen for jumping to other players and for using air strikes. The mini-map is on there too, but I don't like it. To me, it's hard to look from the tv to down on the gamepad just to see where you need to go. There's also motion controls which are hard to use, but I feel like if you can master them, it's better than the normal controls. Motion controls just feel faster and way more precise than just using the right stick for aiming.

The worst part of the game is the amiibo locked content. There's challenges you can unlock by scanning the Splatoon amiibos which I hear unlocks unique weapons and gear. Amiibos are cancer.

Even though there's a severe lack of content, the game is still really fun. The gameplay is fresh and new and feels very skill and team based. You're rewarded a lot for being good and winning which is what I like a lot.

Here's some good non-scrub level gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycFDDerstw

Last edited:

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Anybody willing to drop by Sync's today to pick me (and possibly Tesh, not sure if he's going) for the weekly?
Like I said I don't know if Tesh is going and don't know if he has a ride planned.

z00ted

oh hell yes, k prime... that's exactly the type of post i was looking for! thanks ^^

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Does the amiibo challenges require you to have it beside you to start them up, can they be scanned once and stay unlocked forever? Could just have everyone use one set if possible.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Does the amiibo challenges require you to have it beside you to start them up, can they be scanned once and stay unlocked forever? Could just have everyone use one set if possible.
I am pretty sure once you scan the amiibo you perm unlock what it has. I can share my amiibo if you don't wanna buy it. I have the girl one.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I have all three, so I don't need help.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC