• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hoboz' CSP Garage

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, here's that TP Link I promised.

I like the sound of Ness; that'll possibly be the next one I work on, after I go to Facebook Official and rework the music on my personal build.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
The lighting is really nice on that! I would suggest moving the eyes to look towards the camera though, it looks a bit odd with him just gazing into the distance.

Another thing I would suggest is maybe adding a Vibrance adjustment layer and increasing it a bit (or a bit more, if you've already added one), it'll make them look much nicer!

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking a similar thing, though its strange cause the OoT Link's eye came out right and TP uses the same eyes. Just came out different on shrinking the image I suppose. I probably could just copy OoT Link's pupils and that'd get the exact effect.

Didn't know about Vibrance Adjustment Layers, where would I find that option on GIMP?

Taiko

Smash Ace
I was thinking a similar thing, though its strange cause the OoT Link's eye came out right and TP uses the same eyes. Just came out different on shrinking the image I suppose. I probably could just copy OoT Link's pupils and that'd get the exact effect.

Didn't know about Vibrance Adjustment Layers, where would I find that option on GIMP?
Based on a quick search, it seems GIMP doesn't actualy have a Vibrance filter...
You might be able to fake it with an adjusted Saturation filter, but here's a quick example of the vibrance effect:

Left is vibrance filter, right is the original.

Vibrance is different in that it selectively makes parts more saturated. This is an example of a saturation filter:

It targets everything, including the skin, so it looks really unnatural.

Hopefully you find something that works!

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man! I saturated it by about 40/50, and got this, which seems right.
Saturation 40 vs Saturation 50

Definitely not as good as Vibrance, but I can see how it looks better immediately.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
I'd go with 40 as it doesn't distort his skin as much. Looks nice!

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice! I'll probably go over my older ones and apply similar effects to fix em up.
Edit: Color'd up Mario. I'll be making un-mentioned changes as I keep making these.

Last edited:

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
I've recently started making my own custom csps using Brawlbox as well and I use gimp as well.

I've had problems getting the CSP to look right so I decided to make a CSP with your Charizard pose and try to get it to look as good as yours. I failed obviously.

Just wanted to ask, if it isn't a problem, what steps do you take while taking the screenshot in BB (how many times do you zoom out, and your lighting settings) and some general steps you use in gimp? Gimp is the part I'm having the most problems with because I am a noob when it comes to using it.

Amazing CSPs btw.

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
You inspired me to make my own CSPs for skins I made, King of Hoboz, so... Thanks?

I've recently started making my own custom csps using Brawlbox as well and I use gimp as well.

I've had problems getting the CSP to look right so I decided to make a CSP with your Charizard pose and try to get it to look as good as yours. I failed obviously.

Just wanted to ask, if it isn't a problem, what steps do you take while taking the screenshot in BB (how many times do you zoom out, and your lighting settings) and some general steps you use in gimp? Gimp is the part I'm having the most problems with because I am a noob when it comes to using it.

Amazing CSPs btw.
Here's Taiko's guide to CSPs, it may help you http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=66456.0

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I followed that guide but he uses Photoshop while I use GIMP and like I said, I'm a noob at gimp. Not sure how to replicate the same results which is what I need help on.
Oh sorry, I havent read the guide in a bit and thought he used GIMP too. My bad. I use paint.net but maybe I could give some tips that could help anyway.

I layer a number of different parts of the character. For example, with Luigi and Mario, I make his overalls, nose, face, eyes, stache, hat, and shirt all different layers and make the effects like lighting another layer. I use a transparent black and a transparent white to show which parts are brighter and darker and then I use a Gaussian blur to make the white and black parts spread out more thinly and have them look like more realistic shadows and lights. Hope this helps you.

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
So, to get them in their poses, do you play their attacks/taunts in brawlbox?

if so, how? (specifically samus)

or, do you kinda play QWOP with the bones...?
The animation might be on fitsamus00.pac, which you can find in the resources of Brawl Vault. The animations I make are 'QWOP' style, going bone to bone and adjusting them as necessary.

ChaoticBlitz

Smash Rookie

Hey, so i saw your thread and i thought i should try this. Your explanation + Taiko's tutorial gave me am understanding of how to do this c: So here's my first CSP, took inspiration from MK's SSB4 pose though it may not show through here. Sorry if the lighting's a bit iffy, I used GIMP and I'm kinda a noob on it lol. I also left the .chr0 file in there for anyone else if they want to mess around with it and the original Brawl Box Screenshot c:

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I've been MIA, I've figured to take a break to do other things, as well, I'm not sure if I want to continue doing CSPs until 3.5, considering the massive load of new content it'll be adding. BUT! I decided to make this for now anyway, so here you all go.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Okay, 3.5 is out. I told myself I would start again, and I am now. . . by redoing Samus again >.>

Here ya go. It's the same pose that the other Alts are using (which I replaced in my personal build with their Alt Reveal Renders)

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. He's pretty bad. I don't really intend to redo Doc either. I kept trying to fix it, but it never ended well.

Hopefully I can put out less duds like him.

McMarth

Smash Cadet
These are looking great! Are you going to include the animations used for the new ones, too? :)

Top Bottom