• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

High School Tournament Vids

QERB

Banned via Warnings
Here are some vids at my high school's sbbm tourney last week. The only matches that will be recorded are semi-finals and finals (and maybe one 3rd round match if it's good), so far here posted my semi-final, with more to come. I will post the final once it's played. Ok, i main kirby, but I chose my secondary, Falco first. And according to these tourney rules if you won the previous game, you cannot change characters, only the loser can. Semi-Finals and Finals are best of 5 (all the other matches were best of 3) and it is a single elimination tournament. Here's the tourney bracket if anyone's interested: Bracket

Dunno if anyone knows, but pyh189 will be my opponent in the final (he has a bunch of 1p mode world records and stuff :dizzy: ) and yeah I'll probably lose lol.

EDIT: All of the matches are now up. Yeah, and the finals aren't very exciting as one might expect, mainly because I got owned.
Anyways, here are the links and any help or critiscism, whichever you prefer, would be nice, thanks in advanced.

TWNZ vs Richie (3rd Round, Best of 3)

TWNZ (Falco) vs Richie (Peach) Round 1(youtube)
TWNZ (Falco) vs Richie (Peach) Round 2(youtube)
TWNZ (Falco) vs Richie (Peach) Round 3(youtube)
Winner: Richie, 2-1

Richie vs pyh189 (Semifinals, Best of 5)
Richie (Peach) vs pyh189 (Falco) Round 1(youtube)
Richie (Peach) vs pyh189 (Falco) Round 2(youtube)
Richie (Peach) vs pyh189 (Falco) Round 3(youtube)
Richie (Peach) vs pyh189 (Falco) Round 4(youtube)
Winner: pyh189, 3-1

Qerb vs Ralph (Semifinals, Best of 5)
Qerb (Falco) vs Ralph (Sheik) Round 1(youtube)
Qerb (Falco) vs Ralph (Link) Round 2(youtube)
Qerb (Falco) vs Ralph (Link) Round 3(youtube)
Winner: Qerb, 3-0

pyh189 vs Qerb (Finals, Best of 5)
pyh189 (Falco) vs Qerb (GW) Round 1(youtube)
pyh189 (Falco) vs Qerb (Kirby) Round 2(youtube)
pyh189 (Falco) vs Qerb (GW) Round 3(youtube)
Winner: pyh189, 3-0

WINNER: pyh189

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
Ralph rolls too much. Matches were also a little slow. Try and speed up your game a little, cancel shines faster and whatnot. Id say the vids were pretty medium.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Umm...ur leik...falco...u shud liek...do the attack manuever more.

Yeah, anyways, your Falco really needs to get more aggressive. Falco's generally supposed to be played very aggressively. My guess is Kirby is to be played a lot less aggressively. So you really have to switch up your style of play if your going to play Falco.

You had some pretty awkward approaches, too. Such as f-smashing...you should just SHFFL n-airs and some d-airs, and yeah, as stated, practice up your shine cancelling. It's really really important that you do. You also should u-tilt more. If you're having problems with cancelling the shine fast enough, just d-air or n-air and land behind the opponent, then u-tilt.

Anyways, nice matches.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
Ok thanks for the tips guys.

EDIT: Oo, yeah i played way too defensively (I guess) just because the kid I was playing is known to cg repeatedly so I was playing scared of that lol. Only that match i played catiously but obviously I shouldn't.

EDIT2: Oh yeah about my approach, if I approached his link with a shffld n-air/d-air, wouldnt he just shield grab it? That's why I didn't always approach with a shffl anyways....

Sol

Smash Lord
falco needs to fsmash less and try and rshl and sex kick more the sheik player needs to roll less and grab more

twnz

Smash Cadet
lol..wow dude i didnt noe you posted this in the video's forum

Giggidax

Smash Ace
ur shl's need work, like learn to be mobile while shl. and also u didnt use much variation of utilt. u where constantly trying to use fsmash, it became very predictable. theres so much lag time on fsmash u shouldnt use it so much.

other than that u should learn to double shine after dair and lcancel more

QERB

Banned via Warnings
More Vids Up!

Falco vs Peach up! Other semi final and finals should be posted up by today or tomorrow

twnz

Smash Cadet
yeah.. so if u can tell.. TWNZ is me.. wow i cant believe i lost. i got so nervous so i started shooting backwards and rolled around a lot.. lol... Anybody wanna gimme advice? i cant believe i lost round 1 cuz i had such a good start. : (

ICYU

Smash Rookie
yea twnz was having an off day, and ken (chin) was being homo during the match.
*for those who don't know ken chin he's this emo asian that says stupid things during a match*

ICEE

Smash Rookie
Falcos-
pyh189 is pretty decent.
Qerb needs a little work, but he is getting there.
TWNZ dont let other people distract you. Even if they are annoying. Keep focused on the game and you will do just fine

Cheezit

Smash Ace
All i have to say is The peach needs to vary it up. Dash attack, Dash Attack, Dash Attack are not gonna cut it. tell him he should try float canceling and using more arials to edge guard. There was many times where the peach could punish the falco trying to get back. Back air has lots of priority.

I wish my school had tournements. By the way OREB i got to jackson memorial high school, not to far away if u guys ever want to play.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
All vids are now up! Comments/tips for TWNZ's falco or other matches would be appreciated, thanks.

twnz

Smash Cadet
umm.. yeah... wow...............................the finals were ****?............................ sorry.. lol..

ZXO

Smash Rookie
how the hell did u get your highschool to let u hold a tournament for smash. u gotta PM me and tell
When I was in high school (oh dear, it's been a while), the way we worked the original Super Smash Brothers in was through our 'Technology' club. They offered up the TVs and we advertised it as their tournament. Still, it was Smash. I came in in third place with Ness. Woot.

twnz

Smash Cadet
When I was in high school (oh dear, it's been a while), the way we worked the original Super Smash Brothers in was through our 'Technology' club. They offered up the TVs and we advertised it as their tournament. Still, it was Smash. I came in in third place with Ness. Woot.
Neither me nor QERB started this smash tournament but it was a CLUB that started it, made by 2 ppl i noe. You need to get permission from people higher than you (a given). Besides, you can get it through if its for charity. Who can say no to charity? :p

ZXO

Smash Rookie
Neither me nor QERB started this smash tournament but it was a CLUB that started it, made by 2 ppl i noe. You need to get permission from people higher than you (a given). Besides, you can get it through if its for charity. Who can say no to charity? :p
How many people ended up partaking in the entire tourney?

On another note, our tournament had a $40 gift certificate prize for the first place winner. What's charity? :laugh:

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
my school is strict as hell and i don't know how the **** i can convince the administratort to let me do it. any ideas besides charity on how to let them let us have it

QERB

Banned via Warnings
On the first page there's a bracket showing the number of people who participated. There were 48 people, and the enry fee was 5$/person. Not bad I guess.

Uhh charity or fundraising for something is the only thing that you could probably pull of at your school I would guess...

ZXO

Smash Rookie
On the first page there's a bracket showing the number of people who participated. There were 48 people, and the enry fee was 5$/person. Not bad I guess.
Gotcha.

$5 was the entry for us, as well.

Wow. We only had like... 20 people, at most.

dullshot

Smash Rookie
i liked the GnW in the first match of the finals. Only critique i'd give is to not d-smash. :O

ICYU

Smash Rookie
whose crappy memory card were we using for the tourney? they didn't have all the stages so QERB couldn't couter pick kongo jungle. *cough* twnz's memory card *cough*

QERB

Banned via Warnings
i liked the GnW in the first match of the finals. Only critique i'd give is to not d-smash. :O
I definitely used the dmash too much...dunno why, I usually don't.

Lol ICYU yeah I was gonna counterpick Kongo Jungle, but it wasn't unlocked so that sucked w/e.

twnz

Smash Cadet
whose crappy memory card were we using for the tourney? they didn't have all the stages so QERB couldn't couter pick kongo jungle. *cough* twnz's memory card *cough*
WAT?! My memory card has all the levels.. i dunno whos gamecube that was but it wasnt mine.. I even told aaron before he said that his counterpick stage wasnt there that i had my memory card.. :mad:

QERB

Banned via Warnings
Ok forget about the memory card lol it's all said and done. Any more comments on the matches?:)

Ryft

Smash Rookie
i think richie (peach) did pretty good against peter (falco) considering he basically learned it all on his own and doesnt know the "technical" terms for what he does, which basically means he figured it out on his own. and still managed to beat him once considering that most of us havent beaten him at all or wihtout him saying he was off his game.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
Mingames?

i think richie (peach) did pretty good against peter (falco) considering he basically learned it all on his own and doesnt know the "technical" terms for what he does, which basically means he figured it out on his own. and still managed to beat him once considering that most of us havent beaten him at all or wihtout him saying he was off his game.
Umm yeah idk how much Richie "learned" Peter's patterns, because all he was doing was spamming running A and d-smash. Dunno if that's really mindgames, or him just spamming the **** out of teh space animal killer attack. And the round that he won I think Peter Sd'd twice so yeah...

twnz

Smash Cadet
With the exception of Pyh189 and possibly Ralph, you guys need technical practice with your characters. Some L-cancelling and non cancelled SHLs would probly do you some good.
wat do u mean by non cancelled SHL's? not doing the fastfall? the different jumps involving lasers? huh? explain. Thanks!

yeah i noe my falco isnt that great. but thats why im practicing.

Lier

Smash Cadet
thats so cool since you guys hosted a smash tourney in school! sad thing is im probably the best in my school since only two of my friends play seriously. how did you host it btw? and non-cancelled shl is when u shl but u ff before the laser came out.

twnz

Smash Cadet
i still dont get wat a non-cancelled shl is.. is it basically just a fake out tactic? cuz if u ff before the laser comes out. then wats the point? lol.

and Bailey. we aren't sure right now if there is going to be another smash tournament. The club that hosted this tourney, said that we might be having a Guitar Hero tourney.. or maybe a Smash Doubles tournament. or maybe nothing? not too sure. but yeah. We live in Holmdel, NJ. which is kinda far from NY? and read from the earlier posts to find out how the club hosted.. basically its just for charity.

GodheadsLamentX

Smash Apprentice
wat do u mean by non cancelled SHL's? not doing the fastfall? the different jumps involving lasers? huh? explain. Thanks!

yeah i noe my falco isnt that great. but thats why im practicing.
If you have "cancelled" a Short-hop Laser (SHL) then that means you fast-falled too quickly for the laser to shoot out.

Heres a good way to approach it: Short hop > tap B > then tap down for the fast fall when you hear the sound of Falco's gun clicking. you can also do the same thing while running, and if you need to (as a Falco player, you will need to) try a backwards SHL which is done the same way as a normal SHL, but you tap the opposite direction you're facing immediatly after short hopping.

Another typical mistake for starting Falco players happens in running SHLs and WaveShining alike; slipping into a ForwardB, which usually is dangerous on small stages like Yoshi's or FoD. So remember not to press any of the buttons in the squence at the same time or you'll screw up and die.

Keep practicing! ^_^

Din

twnz

Smash Cadet
If you have "cancelled" a Short-hop Laser (SHL) then that means you fast-falled too quickly for the laser to shoot out.

Heres a good way to approach it: Short hop > tap B > then tap down for the fast fall when you hear the sound of Falco's gun clicking. you can also do the same thing while running, and if you need to (as a Falco player, you will need to) try a backwards SHL which is done the same way as a normal SHL, but you tap the opposite direction you're facing immediatly after short hopping.

Another typical mistake for starting Falco players happens in running SHLs and WaveShining alike; slipping into a ForwardB, which usually is dangerous on small stages like Yoshi's or FoD. So remember not to press any of the buttons in the squence at the same time or you'll screw up and die.

Keep practicing! ^_^

Din
lol.. ohh.. i already know wat it is.. and umm godheads, were u referring to TWNZ (Me) or aaron (QERB)? cuz my shl werent cancelled..lol

Top Bottom