• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Teaching Someone Brawl

comboking

Smash Master
What would be the easiest way to teach my girlfriend (Who is a casual gamer) how to play Brawl competitively? Whether it is through videos or written guides on here. They obviously can't be too difficult to understand. I ask because I suck at teaching new players.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
You could watch her play without any guidance and let her know where she is going wrong, as well as note any bad habits she is performing. You could also let her play against you and teach her through simple experience using the same mindset as above.

reading guides can be worth it, but i feel like actually playing and getting a feel for the game outweighs that.

:phone:

comboking

Smash Master
I whole heartedly agree with you.

I think I will start with showing her the Jab moves and then moving onto the tilts and then smash moves. Then Aerials and then showing her how to short hop and use aerials. Then move on to the special moves and their diferent uses. Maybe go to the Pit boards (Who she wants to use) and check stuff out. After she knows how to use the moves I will show her how to recover to the ledge and how to perform DI. Then move on to edge guarding. Then I will show her some of the advanced tactics. Of course I won't do this all at once. Before I do this I will let her just mess around against some computer players. Anything wrong with my method? Maybe a different order or anything? She is a beginner of the lowest caliber....This is her first smash game. But i love her and want to team with her in Brawl so I'll do whatever it takes.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Make sure she uses the controller correctly, a lot of my friends tend to press "hard" if you know what I mean... xD While I casually slide my fingers over the buttons when I press... (man this comes out wrong).

If you press the buttons... too hard. It's harder to combine moves and... finish combos... block quickly... etc........... worst post ever.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
I'm also in the process of teaching multiple friends how to play competitively. So far, it's not going too bad at all. So long as you don't get frustrated, it'll come eventually. Keep in mind though that my friends had already played the game casually for years. You may need to teach some really basic things, such as recovering, to your girlfriend before attempting this.

Note: As already somewhat mentioned, not a good idea to do this all in one day. The toughest part about teaching someone competitive Smash is probably motivation. You'll need to stay motivated to coach, and your girlfriend will need to stay motivated to learn. Make it interesting too; have her watch videos and play rather than read guides. (At least at this stage.) I don't recommend written guides until she's comfortable with most aspects of her character, but everyone's different.

First off, have her start by doing some doubles against even the easiest of CPUs, but with team attack on. This helped my friends learn to stay on the right target, and learn to not hit their teammate (me) at the same time. Kinda obvious here, but let her share stock, even if she SDs all 3 lives. It could also probably motivate her if she's winning against the CPUs all the time with you. Once your girlfriend feels confident against easy CPUs, adjust the difficulty accordingly.

Secondly, have her do some 1v1s against computers. Set the CPU difficulty equal to the skill level you believe she is on. I recommend replaying the matches. (Infinite replay hack could help, if you have it. If not, might want to set the stock time limit to 3 minutes.) After a few games, watch the replays with your girlfriend and start critiquing the matches. Make sure you aren't harsh at all though, it's not going to be motivating to hear that there are 10 things she needs to work on. Just point out obvious flaws, and then explain to them how they could fix that in the future. Go back and keep playing more matches afterwards, it's one thing to get advice, and another to apply it.

Once your girlfriend has a good feel for the basics, I recommend going to training mode and practicing DI and Momentum Canceling. (Character specific moves chart for momentum cancelling: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Momentum_canceling#Horizontal_momentum_canceling) Training mode is nice since you can set the percentage instantly to 100+%. After showing her examples of DI/Momentum Canceling, allow her to try it. Tell her exactly when you are going to attack. Once she has the general idea of how to do it, don't tell her when you're going to attack, so it's more of a reflex.

Now if I were you, I'd start doing more doubles matches, most likely against tougher CPUs. Ask her to try using DI and Momentum Canceling when she gets hit. Remind her in between matches to use DI and Momentum Canceling in indirect ways, such as saying "Nice job on the DI that match." or something along those lines. It should motivate her and reminds her to keep trying.

Here's where I'd start explaining some more in-depth things, such as ledge play, frames, priority, etc. But make sure you aren't overwhelming her with information. Teach the basics of one specific thing, and then play some matches against the CPUs. I don't know if this helps, but I picked up competitive smash by constantly beating up computers and practicing combos on a team with my brother, which eventually led to my interest in getting better. Play experience, at least from what I've noticed, seems to be the most beneficial.

Then, it's time for you to 1 vs. 1 her. Now, chances are it's still going to be entirely in your favor, but that's not the point. She will now be gaining experience against an actual player; something she may not have at this point. You don't necessarily have to let her win, but keep in mind that some people could eventually lose their determination if they lose every match. Or if your girlfriend has a competitive attitude, that could be exactly what you want. Some of my casual friends have a death wish for me on Brawl and just won't stop trying to beat me.

If you can, invite some other friends over, preferably around your girlfriend's skill level, so you guys can practice doubles against other players. Have her watch videos, mainly of her character at first, and then of others. Ask her to read match-up threads here on Smash Boards, and then attempt to apply it in-game. It is a bit different for doubles of course, but learning what the opponent is capable of is always a major plus.

Hopefully this helps, it's what I've done to help my friends get better, and it just might help your girlfriend too!

To be honest, I wouldn't really feel like teaching anyone until you know for certain they want to learn. When I think about it, no one taught me how to play. I learned by simply playing for a long time and observing others.

If someone is really going to improve, they will put in the time themselves. The best thing I think you could do is just point out one a thing here or there depending upon how far someone has come along. For example, the biggest thing I showed someone more recently was the whole idea of different aerial directions. After that, I was not going to go and tell them more about the game because that seems like a pretty big leap in the first place. Someone who actually knew the moves there character performed could probably be told a little more like this concept of DI.

Eventually, you might end up with someone who understands the game as much as you do, but simply lacks the experience you might have. At that point, I do not think there is much you can do for them other than keep playing with them.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Tell her to main MK and spam the living s*** out of tornado and c-stick.

There u have it. Your gf is now officially a pro brawl player. Happy to help, see you guys at Apex =)

grizby2

Smash Lord
well.. when i teach someone how to play, i start with a few silly matches , maybe with items, giving them time to experiment with their own capabillities, then i pit them up agains a few coms, and then myself. when they see the difference between me and the com, it kinda inspires them to do even better. then i go on to explain the utility of whatever character they want to use, and then throw in some advanced techniques like short hopping, ground techs. ect...and you can take it on from there. :o

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
What would be the easiest way to teach my girlfriend (Who is a casual gamer) how to play Brawl competitively? Whether it is through videos or written guides on here. They obviously can't be too difficult to understand. I ask because I suck at teaching new players.
The way I get people to want to get competitive is by beating them a lot. Making them want to get better, learn all the tech, watch the pro matches, all that jazz. It's what got me into competitive and it's the best way to make someone want to get competitive.

If you keep beating them, and they still have no desire to play competitive; then it's not for them. Don't force someone to do what they won't have fun with.

Top Bottom