• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help some (more) if you wish (SMASH IS LOSING AGAIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Watch out for the logical falicies associated with overarching generalities like "None of them".

For example, I've been a member at MLG since 2004, and actually since 2003 but the forums reset and my first account got deleted. I also happen to know that a few pro players have also voted in the poll and most of them have had accounts for years now. The members who create accounts simply to vote are mostly in the minority, if I had to get I would say no more than 30% of the Smash votes are from members who join this month or in May.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
Don't "frequent?" Hahahaha, none of them have even had an account at MLG until a week ago.
The first place on the internet I went to for competitive SSBM was MLG. And I stayed there, and when I stumbled over a link to smashboards, I just used it instead of MLG forums for Discussion. I'm still a member of MLG, and I go to MLG tounaments. I have a right to vote in that poll, and so does everyone else who plays smash well and already had an MLG account. Granted, some made accounts and tipped the scales a bit, which is definitly not fair, but AlphaZealot opening this thread on Smashboards linking to the poll is not unfair at all.

Icedblue

Smash Rookie
Watch out for the logical falicies associated with overarching generalities like "None of them".

For example, I've been a member at MLG since 2004, and actually since 2003 but the forums reset and my first account got deleted. I also happen to know that a few pro players have also voted in the poll and most of them have had accounts for years now. The members who create accounts simply to vote are mostly in the minority, if I had to get I would say no more than 30% of the Smash votes are from members who join this month or in May.
Thank you for once again ignoring 99% of the things I say, and attacking the one thing I said that left you an opening, even though you fully got what I meant.

Join dates aren't indicative of whether someone should vote or not. The kids with new join dates are obviously the easiest to identify, but what about kids who joined in Sep '05 and have 3 posts, all in the poll thread? So let's assume that your 30% is correct..I'll then throw out an arbitrary number and say that of the votes for Smash, at least 25% came from people who have had no MLG forum interaction within the last six months. So over half of the votes for Smash are from people who do not interact with the MLG forum community, which is who the poll was intended for.

Icedblue

Smash Rookie
I registered three months ago plus I think it makes some advertising for MLG boards , some may just vote and go away , some may just stay
I'm sorry if double-posting is a no-no here..but you may have registered three months ago, yet you have no posts. And I'm going to venture a guess that you don't lurk very often, if at all.

Thino

Smash Master
Why focus on my words, and not what I said? I already addressed the "none of them" point.
sorry I didn't read your last post. anyways I first came to MLG to check some smash videos from an MLG event , and most recently Smash Series Event 1. I agree it doesnt make me part of the MLG community but its enough to make your statement wrong, cuz the fact we joined in sep '03 and dont have 6654 posts doesnt we only registered to vote , like everyone we post/vote in threads relevant to our interests

Icedblue

Smash Rookie
sorry I didn't read your last post. anyways I first came to MLG to check some smash videos from an MLG event , and most recently Smash Series Event 1. I agree it doesnt make me part of the MLG community but its enough to make your statement wrong, cuz the fact we joined in sep '03 and dont have 6654 posts doesnt we only registered to vote , like everyone we post/vote in threads relevant to our interests
Virtually everyone that has posted in the MLG thread has only posted in that thread.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
I guess I ruined it then, I did only post there and I did join only in May 2007
but I only joined to see those new SSBM vids, and I think a lot of other people did so too, I mean, they were the only vids of Bum out there. So I guess that's another reason there's a lot of members with no posts?

But I'll admit, I think it is kind of unfair. What if there was a poll here for
"who do you think was the most cheap character?", then a bunch of Fox lovers from
another site vote out on other people, when it was intended for the opinion of Smashboards

Icedblue

Smash Rookie
I guess I ruined it then, I did only post there and I did join only in May 2007
but I only joined to see those new SSBM vids, and I think a lot of other people did so too, I mean, they were the only vids of Bum out there. So I guess that's another reason there's a lot of members with no posts?

But I'll admit, I think it is kind of unfair. What if there was a poll here for
"who do you think was the most cheap character?", then a bunch of Fox lovers from
another site vote out on other people, when it was intended for the opinion of Smashboards
jExcept quite a few join dates coincide with AZ making a thread here garnering support.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
jExcept quite a few join dates coincide with AZ making a thread here garnering support.
I did admit that it was kind of unfair, but if I browsed throught the mlg site and saw that poll, I would go make an account and vote! Even if AlphaZealot didn't make this thread, I mean, it's MLG, and isn't that like the biggest tournament scene in all of gaming? I just had to represent Smash, I hope you guys get it and that we never meant to ruin your poll

Icedblue

Smash Rookie
I did admit that it was kind of unfair, but if I browsed throught the mlg site and saw that poll, I would go make an account and vote! Even if AlphaZealot didn't make this thread, I mean, it's MLG, and isn't that like the biggest tournament scene in all of gaming? I just had to represent Smash, I hope you guys get it and that we never meant to ruin your poll
MLG is huge, but not to the point where dozens of people who never visit MLG would make accounts or use accounts they hadn't been on in forever just to vote. AZ severely influenced the voting.

You guys don't realize that his has been going on for well over three months. Thousands of votes have been cast and tallied. Skinsman has made 30 different threads to vote in. Oranos made brackets, and links. Many of people have put thought into the effort, instead of just saying, "let's make an army and make sure Smash wins."

As for bias, MLG's main game was knocked out last round by an RPG.

And the other semi-final matchup has less than half the votes that the 007/Smash game has had..which is amazing considering the other semi-final matchup includes CE, and the game that beat out H2. For those of you who do visit MLG, you should know how absolutely amazing that is; or truly indicative of how messed up the tournament has become.

Binx

Smash Master
"Tommy: I don't understand why all of you are bashing Halo and saying how great SSBM is. Halo offers so much more gameplay to some of us that you are overlooking.

Take me for example.

I have very slow reflexes, I think my hand-eye coordination is shot because when I was born the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck and I suffocated for a while, causing brain damage.
My left hand is non-functional.
My right hand is missing.
I am homosexual, because I cannot play for too long or else I get a seizure I often times just look at Master Chief and dream about his naked body. This is a lot more fun than I can have actually playing the game, and all my homosexual friends agree.

So, you see, all this complex meta-gaming and endless opportunity to advance my skill doesn't really matter. I think I have obtained the height of my game with SSBM, but Halo's slow and rather simple gameplay offers me a lot more.

I vote SSBM, lolz!"

Just incase any of you have missed this in the last thread I thought I would post it again, I laughed so hard.

A-Laon

Smash Master
The only thing more pointless than the results of an arbitrary internet poll is an arbitrary internet debate regarding them.

Quality thread.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This is true and yet I'm inclined to vote simply because I heart Smash.

Smash is up by a slim margin, I think OoT may overtake it again if we aren't careful.

psicicle

Smash Ace
We play to win... I don't think I need to link to the sirlin thing again. Anybody who likes the other games can do exactly what AZ is doing.

I think cries of "that's not what the poll is intended for" are akin to "the reflector isn't supposed to spike". If you really find it so objectionable, then instead of wasting time here, go to each of the game's respective communities anf start "VOTE FOR blank" threads.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I was tempted to vote but did not so do not preach to me.

Everyone has a right to vote that has an account on the site because to get to that poll, you must have an account. This is the only requirement; therefore, the poll is prime game for people who make accounts.

I also bet that other forums do the samething. I definitely remembered when GoNintendo tried to get as many votes as possible on Zelda being the most important franchise on a GameFAQs poll.

Anyways, if you are going to complain about us, at least tell the other forums too if you haven't already.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Looking at the thread on the MLG forum, I have to say that this is really pathetic. The entirety of it only serves to divide the community. MOST of the people who actually posted on that thread that were smashboarders make me want to punch them. Whenever someone says "Smash is the greatest game ever and anyone who thinks otherwise is dumb!" should be shot. It's one thing to think that smash is the best game made (I think this way too), but it's another to tell them they are dumb for having other interests. Please, do the boards a favor and DON'T post if you are gonna say stupid **** like that.

I have nothing against the crusade if we defended our opinion with logic on the quality and playability on it, but that isn't the case. So I'm going to urge people to stop making accounts specifically to vote for this, unless you actually have a good argument to back your opinion, at least. Even then, it's kinda dumb to make an account just to vote.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If there really were that many Smashboarders who actually said something like that, then the hostility I saw from some of the MLGers are understandable.

I myself did not attack anyone for having an opinion. I was, however, rather upset at the tone I received from certain people just because I came from Smashboards.

Icedblue

Smash Rookie
Looking at the thread on the MLG forum, I have to say that this is really pathetic. The entirety of it only serves to divide the community. MOST of the people who actually posted on that thread that were smashboarders make me want to punch them. Whenever someone says "Smash is the greatest game ever and anyone who thinks otherwise is dumb!" should be shot. It's one thing to think that smash is the best game made (I think this way too), but it's another to tell them they are dumb for having other interests. Please, do the boards a favor and DON'T post if you are gonna say stupid **** like that.

I have nothing against the crusade if we defended our opinion with logic on the quality and playability on it, but that isn't the case. So I'm going to urge people to stop making accounts specifically to vote for this, unless you actually have a good argument to back your opinion, at least. Even then, it's kinda dumb to make an account just to vote.
The only issue I've had is the creation of accounts to post.

While it may seem like a harmless poll to most of the people here, in reality, it has taken a lot of time to do. One person has made 30 threads for this contest. He counted many votes in the weeks leading into the tournament (we voted for the top 32..everyone was given 50 votes.) And this was made for the MLG community.

I have never been here before. I don't know how tight this community is, but judging from what I see, it compares with MLG's. How would you guys feel if someone took it upon themselves to put in hours making a contest, and then have it all fall apart when someone calls an entire other forum to arms, to vote for one game? I'm sure you would be quite angry.

To be honest, I'm glad that there has been no actual flaming, and that a fair level of maturity has been maintained. That said, my posting here is done. What's happened at MLG has happened.

I appreciate you asking your members to quit doing what some of them (not all, I don't want to stereotype the whole community) have done.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Meh, people got caught up in the whole mob mentality, and did stuff without thinking of how it affected others and how others see our community as well. It's very apparent that it's no longer a poll between the two games and now is a fight between 2 communities that *should* be united. If only the smasher MLG attendees made posts/votes it wouldn't have been that bad and it would have been cool. Who knows which one would have won, but in the end it's not like this survey would yield results that one is really better than another, it's just a fun forum game for ****'s sake.

After reading the entirely of the thread, it was the scrubs who made new accounts that was spewing the most nonsense. One might think I'm being harsh towards these guys, but you got to realize that most of MLG goers will view smashers AS KIDS WHO WORSHIP MELEE AND ARE VOID OF DIFFERING OPINIONS. I don't want that to be the case, but this is what ALWAYS happens and why the more mature, serious smashers have to validate Melee as a deep game with a good community. Seriously, a few loudmouthed and nubby kids prevent Smash from being seen as a solid competitive game.

[Edit]
Some things I missed.
If there really were that many Smashboarders who actually said something like that, then the hostility I saw from some of the MLGers are understandable.
Yeah man, if you didn't read the entire thread before you posted you wouldn't have any idea of the stupid stuff people have said. Those guys had AMPLE reason to be pissed off and they of course generalized because 5-6 people were spamming with stuff like "MELEE RULES GE IS LAME LOLOLOLOL! YOU GUYS ARE DUMBTARDED!" So yeah, their anger was indeed justified and those guys were out of patience long before you showed up. I wish I stopped to check the whole thread earlier in the day when I made my first post here and voted, cause I might have been able to salvage some of the MLG peepz opinions and lightened the situation. Then when the smarter peepz came in you would have had a much warmer welcome.

K1T3

Smash Lord
There's also the fact that just because we come from smashboards doesn't make us of the opinion Smash is the best game ever. True we understand the depth of smash because we have access to the information here thus knowing that it is a good game. But it is still an opinion poll. We do believe smash was better then GE as per the reasons stated before, but, for example, had I seen the FFVII poll I would have gladly voted for that or Starcraft for instance over smash, because that is my opinion. After playing both games Smash and GE or Smash and H2 though I felt that smash was a better game and don't see why I should not be allowed to express that opinion just because I am from smashboards and actually have a greater understanding of the game then "it's a party game for kids"

Binx

Smash Master
Smash finally has a good lead, and I think its cooled down alot there, I think its just people voting for the games they like now. Anyways though AZ I have been looking around their site and I really like it, not for smash but everything else there is fantastic, I also like the decent quality videos. Anyhow if any MLG mods see my post over here, just know I will be browsing some of the forums and the main site for sure from now on.

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
Same with me... I'm not going to lie, I created an account to vote. I can see why the MLG community would be annoyed with that, so I apologize. From now on however, I will regularly visit the MLG site; as Binx said, they have good vids up and loads of interesting topics.

Also, I may be wrong, but MLG has the only vids of BUM around, right? Im checking right now.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Its just a fun forum contest to see what is the best game ever. Its the final four, after this round (assuming Smash wins) smash will go on up against Halo CE (assuming Halo CE wins).

I honestly don't know if (even with the help of Smashboards) we can garner the support to beat Halo CE.

Zodiac

Smash Master
The only issue I've had is the creation of accounts to post.

While it may seem like a harmless poll to most of the people here, in reality, it has taken a lot of time to do. One person has made 30 threads for this contest. He counted many votes in the weeks leading into the tournament (we voted for the top 32..everyone was given 50 votes.) And this was made for the MLG community.

I have never been here before. I don't know how tight this community is, but judging from what I see, it compares with MLG's. How would you guys feel if someone took it upon themselves to put in hours making a contest, and then have it all fall apart when someone calls an entire other forum to arms, to vote for one game? I'm sure you would be quite angry.

To be honest, I'm glad that there has been no actual flaming, and that a fair level of maturity has been maintained. That said, my posting here is done. What's happened at MLG has happened.

I appreciate you asking your members to quit doing what some of them (not all, I don't want to stereotype the whole community) have done.
MLG is a forum for FPS games, almost exclusively. Smash would never even stand a chance if didnt crusade over to the mlg forums. Im happy that there hasnt been any flaming, or very little flaming anyway.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
uhh, ya actually I registered for MLG a few days ago...cuz i wanted to be able to watch VOD, but then I ended up voting for smash. Sry if that's unfair. Seriously, sry.

smash_rob

Smash Rookie
voted for smash bros, we're going to the toooop

everyone do your part in the name of smashbros!

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
voted for smash bros, we're going to the toooop

everyone do your part in the name of smashbros!
Voted! We are winning by 15! The MLGans are sad since we made accounts just to vote! lol
Guys, it's already been established that it's not fair for guys to just join now and vote smash. The poll is for people who play at least one of them in tournaments. We're not going to cheat to beat oo7, so don't advertise it like that. Alphazealot, you neet to say so in your first post. It's getting a little out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom