• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm.... Apparently, smash stance takes 20% extra damage. Is the "reduced defense" constant? As in like, it stays at 20% and that's it?

I'll get his attention since this question might derail the weight list rankings thread a bit

@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer hai :)

Edit: Monado buster vision counter seems to be a no-no. I checked one match with Shulk vs Sheik. Sheik was at a low percentage then the Shulk player used a perfectly timed counter then got punished due to buster's knockback debuff

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Hm.... Apparently, smash stance takes 20% extra damage. Is the "reduced defense" constant? As in like, it stays at 20% and that's it?

I'll get his attention since this question might derail the weight list rankings thread a bit

Edit: Monado buster vision counter seems to be a no-no. I checked one match with Shulk vs Sheik. Sheik was at a low percentage then the Shulk player used a perfectly timed counter then got punished due to buster's knockback debuff
It could probably work if the person is at a higher %. Buster mode, I think, doesn't make his moves have set knockback, but just lowers the knockback.

It could probably work if the person is at a higher %. Buster mode, I think, doesn't make his moves have set knockback, but just lowers the knockback.
I know that it doesn't have a set knockback. For lower %'s, it's kinda unsafe but maybe at mid-high %'s (I'm talking with buster on) it's safe since it probably deals enough knockback at that point

With smash though, I think it's consistently safe since it knocks back the opponent enough

Last edited:
Does anyone know the exact amount of damage Buster increases? Is it a percentage of an attack (ex: +20% of the damage dealt by x) instead of an added bonus percentage (20%+damage dealt by x)?

D

Deleted member

This is a pretty good video about shulk's moveset here.
Dang! That range is absolutely incredible!

I can't wait to get the game so that I can think of some good combos. That down tilt will be a good starting move.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

it's consistant, the only % I've confirmed though is Shield's 33.05% reduced damage.

I should probably make a topic but I don't have any way to test jump lol

so you do a move that does 10% and you take 12% (for Smash)

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Now I've yet to play the game (so what I say may not be gospel), much less Shulk, but some information I've taken notes from from early videos:

- F-Tilt dash-pivots look like they'll be fun / effective for spacing
- D-Tilt possibly is a potential combo starter and is another fast attack with good reach
- Up-Throw looks like the best throw as of right now (Up-Throw > Up-Tilt appears to link)
- F-Air hasn't too much lag and has good reach (spacing game)
- Up+B OoS for whiff / lag punishing
- U-Tilt combo potential, anti-air and platform poke (i.e. Battlefileds lower platforms)

Not taking into consideration the Monado arts (although I'm personally looking at Speed and Buster the most for added combo potential (Buster while opponent is at mid-high % could be promising)), these moves are the ones that seem to appeal to me the most. As we've all noted before, Shulk may take some time to understand and handle, but with a vast amount of options, the potential appears to be there, and rest assured I'll find my own way to express my play-style (along with everyone else) in the lab soon enough.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
This is a pretty good video about shulk's moveset here.
That guy has embarrassingly piss-poor knowledge of how Shulk works (not knowing Back Slash does more damage from behind, not knowing about Air Slash's second hit, using his up-air instead of his up-tilt). It's a miracle we learned anything out of that. At least we got to see most of his moveset, I suppose.

D

Deleted member

Are all of the Xenoblade songs ripped from the original game, or are some remixed?
They're the original songs.
I think that we might see some remixes in the Wii U version, if that remix of Gaur Plains in Shulk's trailer is of any indication.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
it's consistant, the only % I've confirmed though is Shield's 33.05% reduced damage.

I should probably make a topic but I don't have any way to test jump lol

so you do a move that does 10% and you take 12% (for Smash)
You could test jump by having a CPU Shulk set to jump, and then test to see how much of a difference it makes. You won't get exact numbers, but a reasonable estimate.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party

About an hour of footage from a japanese lifestream - almost every match here includes Shulk and by the movement and control of the players you can tell that they are some of the more advanced players with this character so far. I do not recognize the name tag of the Shulk player.
Here are a couple of things that stood out to me on first watching and should probably be noted:

* Fair has very short endling lag. When Shulk does a full hop fair you can use your midair jump before he touches the ground.
* Nair seems to have autocancel frames during almost its entire animation.
* Usmash kills and hits a tad behind Shulk. With its large hitbox above it, this could be a solid OoS punishing move.
* It seems pretty difficult to implement Backslash effectively. Look out for new options through custom moves here!
* Apparently it's possible to move onto and land on the stage while using nair / fair from the ledge.
* Monado Jump is not only a massive boost to Shulk's recovery but also a useful escape option against ledgetraps.
* Vision can definitely kill but will also whiff if you use it against certain attacks.
* Some of Shulk's throws seem to have kill potential. This needs to be investigated in combination with Monado Slash.
* Uair is the only aerial in Shulk's arsenal that doesn't seem to be very useful. Maybe in combination with Monado Jump.

:059:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I know this doesn't pertain to Shulk (though to be fair this *is* now the Social thread and I *am* being social), but I had a quick question. Has anyone checked to see if it's possible to transfer coins and/or trophies between players? I'm thinking of hosting a tournament for Halloween, and I'm trying to think of a good prize (I won't be the only one hosting a tourney on Halloween and I don't want to get out done because I don't have a prize). I was hoping it would be possible to transfer at least coins to other players, because then I might have something decent to offer.

C'mon guys, help a Bronado out :3

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice

About an hour of footage from a japanese lifestream - almost every match here includes Shulk and by the movement and control of the players you can tell that they are some of the more advanced players with this character so far. I do not recognize the name tag of the Shulk player.
Here are a couple of things that stood out to me on first watching and should probably be noted:

* Fair has very short endling lag. When Shulk does a full hop fair you can use your midair jump before he touches the ground.
* Nair seems to have autocancel frames during almost its entire animation.
* Usmash kills and hits a tad behind Shulk. With its large hitbox above it, this could be a solid OoS punishing move.
* It seems pretty difficult to implement Backslash effectively. Look out for new options through custom moves here!
* Apparently it's possible to move onto and land on the stage while using nair / fair from the ledge.
* Monado Jump is not only a massive boost to Shulk's recovery but also a useful escape option against ledgetraps.
* Vision can definitely kill but will also whiff if you use it against certain attacks.
* Some of Shulk's throws seem to have kill potential. This needs to be investigated in combination with Monado Slash.
* Uair is the only aerial in Shulk's arsenal that doesn't seem to be very useful. Maybe in combination with Monado Jump.

:059:
Well, that was disappointing. He pretty much lost every match. I really don't want the Smash fanbase to begin thinking he's low tier, but in nearly every video I've seen Shulk gets battered and his moves almost never connect. Plus his air game... doesn't look too good. :/

Thanks for sharing, nonetheless.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Well, that was disappointing. He pretty much lost every match. I really don't want the Smash fanbase to begin thinking he's low tier, but in nearly every video I've seen Shulk gets battered and his moves almost never connect. Plus his air game... doesn't look too good. :/

Thanks for sharing, nonetheless.
There was a better match posted a page or two back. Also, it's only been a few days. People are still adjusting. I wouldn't worry about it.

SomethingIntheWay

Smash Rookie
Joined here to tell you guys not to panic with Shulk - ZeRo just played him twice on his twitch stream and two-stocked both of his opponents (Wii Fit Trainer and Lucina).

His strategy was to use Monado Buster until his opponent got to about 60%, then switched to Smash for the rest of the stock. Air Slash was a great option of shield, and killed with the second hit at 80%.

Jab combos and Fair were incredibly useful with Buster, it seemed. ZeRo never used any other Arts, which is interesting.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
so boys and girls what I miss while on vocation?

SomethingIntheWay

Smash Rookie
Dapuffster (spelling?) played two matches with Shulk about ten minutes ago, won both, though these were a lot closer. As said above, counter can whiff, and it's not pretty when it does...however, it's a fantastically unexpected kill move.

Also, Up-throw into a Monado Jumped Uair strings together nicely, and it may combo into Air Slash.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Hello!

I finally beat Xenoblade Chronicles! Took 67 hours. I loved it so much.

I always wanted to join this thread but wasn't going to until I beat the game.

I think I'm a future Shulk main. I'm happy to be here. :4shulk::b:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Hello!

I finally beat Xenoblade Chronicles! Took 67 hours. I loved it so much.

I always wanted to join this thread but wasn't going to until I beat the game.

I think I'm a future Shulk main. I'm happy to be here. :4shulk::b:
67 hours, were you speedrunning the game? That's almost half the time of my first playthrough.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
67 hours, were you speedrunning the game? That's almost half the time of my first playthrough.
I made about 80 hours, I think you could do it easily if you weren't going back and doing quests or Colony 6 stuff.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I made about 80 hours, I think you could do it easily if you weren't going back and doing quests or Colony 6 stuff.
I had about 80 hours as well, but that was mostly because I did a lot of grinding because I didn't realize how helpful questing was.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Alright folks, I'll be making a new Shulk social thread soon. This one mainly consists of Shulk speculation/pre-release stuff, and it's time to begin anew now that the game is out and the people that frequent this sub-forum now will likely be among the people that you'll continue to see in the months/years to come here.

With that being said, we'll be having a new thread title and I'd like to hear some inputs and/or +1s to the ones suggested!

Here are some options so far (I can only take credit for the fourth one listed here):

- Colony 6: Constantly Growing! (Colony 6 is a Xenoblade reference...makes sense as we'll be working together to build up this sub-forum

- Colony 4: You Are Already Dead (The Colony 4 reference is a clever twist since this is Smash 4 :p)

- Colony 4: Bronados Really Feel It

- Colony 4/6: Bronado Guild Where We Fight 4 Feels

- Colony 4/6: Home of the Bronados

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I was around 157 hours on my first playthrough, and I still had stuff to do. If you ask me, if you're not breaking 100 hours, you're just barely scratching what this game has to offer.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Alright folks, I'll be making a new Shulk social thread soon. This one mainly consists of Shulk speculation/pre-release stuff, and it's time to begin anew now that the game is out and the people that frequent this sub-forum now will likely be among the people that you'll continue to see in the months/years to come here.

With that being said, we'll be having a new thread title and I'd like to hear some inputs and/or +1s to the ones suggested!

Here are some options so far (I can only take credit for the fourth one listed here):

- Colony 6: Constantly Growing! (Colony 6 is a Xenoblade reference...makes sense as we'll be working together to build up this sub-forum

- Colony 4: You Are Already Dead (The Colony 4 reference is a clever twist since this is Smash 4 :p)

I'll go ahead and vote for something with Colony 4 in it, since I am totally unbiased in every way. :b

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I vote for the "Colony 6: Constantly Growing!", it sounds more appealing, double points for the building the subgroup thing. Not really feeling the "Bronado" based ones lol

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I did like 80ish hours on the first playthrough. Did a large amount of side quests but skipped out on Colony 6 and missed a lot of skill trees. Second playthrough I clocked in at around 100, doing almost all of the sidequests and almost completely finishing Colony 6 and the collectopaedia.

And I vote for the Colony 6 title.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

I vote for anything using Colony 6. Although, with the social convo no longer being Colony 9, part of the significance is kind of lost.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Yeah, Colony 6 I reckon.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Out of the options included, I personally support, "Colony 6: Constantly Growing!" most.

EDIT - This is more than likely going to be a landslide :p "Colony 6: Constantly Growing!" it is.

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Out of the options included, I personally support, "Colony 6: Constantly Growing!" most.

EDIT - This is more than likely going to be a landslide :p "Colony 6: Constantly Growing!" it is.
YOSH! That's the one I suggested! Bosspon strikes again! Muahahahahahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom