• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Gamesradar is, and always has been, garbage.

At least they are when it comes to Smash Bros.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Uthrow -> Utilt -> Airslash seems to be a thing against DK. Anybody knows how much % it does with and without buster activated?

:059:

So in a Kirby vs Shulk match up, if Shulk gets copied, we're not completely ****ed right?

Eh, I don't know. I know too little of the game but that's how I'm thinking

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Does anyone know if Shulk's Final Smash ever changes party members from Riki and Dunban?

I'm assuming they don't because otherwise I would've heard by now ;_;

D

Deleted member

Does anyone know if Shulk's Final Smash ever changes party members from Riki and Dunban?

I don't think that happens, which is a bit of a shame. (I can also say the same for Robin's Final Smash; I love it but I rather have someone else help me than Chrom) It's still a nice reference to Xenoblade that features two popular characters from it!
I just hope that all of the party members are trophies. I'm really hoping for a Reyn Assist Trophy on the Wii U version!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Uh Shulk's not third party anymore. Nintendo bought Monolith Soft before they made Xenoblade, he's first party now. Besides, SAKurai stated the limit for THird party chars.in SMash was Three, Sonic, PacMan and MM maxed out the limit already.
Shulk was literally never third party. Not ever.

And just so no rumors get started, Sakurai never said there was a limit. If that was read somewhere, it's wrong.

Last edited:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Minor complaint: Shulk doesn't go "HAH" or "EYY!" when he jumps like in the game.

why

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that Shulk's Final Smash is the same as Robin's.
I mean it makes sense for a character to call their allies for help, but they even both said "On my mark".

What's next?

Bowser Jr.: "Koopalings, on my mark!"

Or maybe,

Duck Hunt Dog: "Ducks, on my mark!"
Wow. I was right.

Bowser Jr.: "Shadow Mario, on my mark!"

Duck Hunt: "Gunmen, on my mark!"

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Wow. I was right.

Bowser Jr.: "Shadow Mario, on my mark!"

Duck Hunt: "Gunmen, on my mark!"
Oh GOD xD

Though to be fair, it was Dunban saying "on my mark", not Shulk...but concept still applies. My only complaint is that Shulk's doesn't pick other party members at random. I suppose that WOULD be a bit taxing on time though, so I'm not too upset. Besides, I tend to play without items, so I'll rarely be worried about Final Smashes xD

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Wow, Shulk seems to be like Melee's Marth with those aerials, except with better landing lag. Mid-to-high tier for sure. That edgeguarding is safe with the enormous range of the Monado.

I think if anything we'll see that in the Wii U version. There's a lot to cram onto a 3DS cartridge already and there were likely plenty of cuts to compensate, so we might see the variation on Wii U but entirely cosmetically - it'd do the same damage and knockback but without Riki and Dunban. I personally would love to hear Sharla and Riki's semi-romantic banter during a chain attack. Or maybe the characters will interact on Gaur Plains, similar to the secret chats on Corneria or Shadow Moses.

Last edited:
Wow, Shulk seems to be like Melee's Marth with those aerials, except with better landing lag. Mid-to-high tier for sure. That edgeguarding is safe with the enormous range of the Monado
His aerials are somewhat on the sluggish side but that range is tremendous.
His monado arts will really benefit him more than hurt him. Seriously, the trade off's negative is not enough to balance how beneficial the buffs are. Don't get me started on buster and shield.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
His aerials are somewhat on the sluggish side but that range is tremendous.
His monado arts will really benefit him more than hurt him. Seriously, the trade off's negative is not enough to balance how beneficial the buffs are. Don't get me started on buster and shield.
Is Buster not just 1:1 ratio in terms of extra damage dealt and received?

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Yes, but it's a benefit which encourages aggressive play. You're not going to be taking damage if you're dealing it.
Well it encourages good aggressive play. Newbie's/out skilled players will elect to avoid Buster if they can't land any hits and just end up taking twice the damage. Also in teams and FFA it might not be worth cause you're risking eating extra damage from possibly 3 different players.

Well it encourages good aggressive play. Newbie's/out skilled players will elect to avoid Buster if they can't land any hits and just end up taking twice the damage. Also in teams and FFA it might not be worth cause you're risking eating extra damage from possibly 3 different players.
Of course you're gonna have to be smart with the Buster art (Or Smash art). That's basically why most people speculated that Shulk wasn't gonna be a character that you can simply pick up, and get used to quickly

So far and based on observation, jumping in with N-air (Look's like a U-air but whatever) then grabbing seems to be what I might be thinking because I'm not sure if I saw any safe ground attack that's reliable for rush down. Maybe dash attack is safe? What's Shulk's F-tilt?

I don't have the demo. Purely observation.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Shulk was literally never third party. Not ever.

And just so no rumors get started, Sakurai never said there was a limit. If that was read somewhere, it's wrong.
Right, my bad, that's what i meant to say. IDK why i said he was ever third party.

I remember him saying that for Brawl, so i figured that would also apply to this game. It's primarily about Nintendo Chars. after all, they don't want to add too many third party chars.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Of course you're gonna have to be smart with the Buster art (Or Smash art). That's basically why most people speculated that Shulk wasn't gonna be a character that you can simply pick up, and get used to quickly

So far and based on observation, jumping in with N-air (Look's like a U-air but whatever) then grabbing seems to be what I might be thinking because I'm not sure if I saw any safe ground attack that's reliable for rush down. Maybe dash attack is safe? What's Shulk's F-tilt?

I don't have the demo. Purely observation.
I think ftilt is just a horizontal swing with eh speed. I could dash attack being safe on block if they're spaced right, but dash attacks are typically unsafe so I doubt it. How about f-air? Does that move have any landing lag from what you've seen?

Though, thinking about it. With how good pivoting is now, f-tilt and f-smash can possibly be really scary retreat options.

Last edited:
I think ftilt is just a horizontal swing with eh speed. I could dash attack being safe on block if they're spaced right, but dash attacks are typically unsafe so I doubt it. How about f-air? Does that move have any landing lag from what you've seen?
F-tilt is actually fast. I checked one of the Shulk videos at the last page

DK's uncharged D-smash (Moderately fast smash attack) VS Shulk's F-tilt : Shulk's f-tilt hits first. It also seems fairly safe

I don't know about the f-air but it seems like you're given little reason to use it since n-air seems to be the superior option since it covers a lot of area and it doesn't have (a lot or at all any) landing lag

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
F-tilt is actually fast. I checked one of the Shulk videos at the last page

DK's uncharged D-smash (Moderately fast smash attack) VS Shulk's F-tilt : Shulk's f-tilt hits first. It also seems fairly safe

I don't know about the f-air but it seems like you're given little reason to use it since n-air seems to be the superior option since it covers a lot of area and it doesn't have (a lot or at all any) landing lag
Ok yeah that is a pretty nice f-tilt. Dunno what I was seeing before.

Well f-air has more of a hitbox below while n-air hit's above, so short hop n-airs maybe not be as good on shorties as is it against DK. Extra range on the bottom makes it safer on grounded enemies too. Also nair doesn't look like it has much knockback. Might not be safe at low percent. Dunno how much knock f-air has though.

Oh just thought of something, does Buster increase damage to shields too? That'd be pretty great. Man I really can't wait get my hand on the game and mess around with this stuff.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRSXf1RlnvU&list=PL0YN3mEp0MJPH9AsLfRf0LlYkdqB7WprK&index=50

Not sure if posted yet, but Mechanical Rhythm is confirmed to be in the 3DS version & my bet it plays on smash run
I think this has been confirmed. A compilation of the music tracks and applicable stages can be found here. I believe it was compiled by someone on Smashboards; apologies, I can't remember who. But I appreciate it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fPUZwtAoXssH1aqFQy56PWkQpK0mXX_2SZ9YIXbytE/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Do we have information on Shulk's custom moves? (If it's in that video linked earlier on, I haven't seen it yet. Because in my infinite wisdom, I'm writing this before watching it.)
(Edit: It didn't, so good, I don't look like an idiot.)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Don't think so, any Shulk final smash I've seen on streams has had Riki and Dunban.

Is "One who gets in our way" on the 3ds version? I love that song, it's my favourite Xenoblade track.

Last edited:
Ok yeah that is a pretty nice f-tilt. Dunno what I was seeing before.

Well f-air has more of a hitbox below while n-air hit's above, so short hop n-airs maybe not be as good on shorties as is it against DK. Extra range on the bottom makes it safer on grounded enemies too. Also nair doesn't look like it has much knockback. Might not be safe at low percent. Dunno how much knock f-air has though.

Oh just thought of something, does Buster increase damage to shields too? That'd be pretty great. Man I really can't wait get my hand on the game and mess around with this stuff.
I don't think any of the arts affect shield damage, unfortunately (I think). Key word being think

F-air has barely any landing lag by the way

Last edited:
F-air is probably going to be the go to attack for short hops then.
For medium-short sized characters, sure. For large characters, you can use both n-air and f-air while short hopping.

As cool as U-smash looks, its hitbox looks a bit narrow. A question I'd like to ask is how long the hitbox of the U-smash's "ether" effect linger?

Just a quick tidbit about Monado shield but this is just a guess: Monado shield increases Shulk's base weight but I think that doesn't necessarily make his falling speed different. I might be wrong here but I think based on what I've seen, I think I'm more right than wrong (Edit: This might have been obvious from the get go since there are some heavy characters that are floaty)

Edit: You should put Melia's face on Duck Hunt Dog now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom