• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
That's pretty much true, but...

Japanese and Chinese both use Kanji, which originated from Chinese, but the japanese readings have different pronounciations and even different meanings entirely. It's like how English/Spanish/German/French/etcetcetc all use roman letters, but those letters mean different things in different languages. I only know Japanese, not Chinese, but we know the different monado modes have names like Speed, Enchant, etc... so if the kanji that appears for Monado Speed, for instance, says "Speed" in chinese then they're likely meant to be chinese! (It definitely doesn't mean Speed in Japanese anyway)
Heh, I actually know a bit of Chinese and managed to spoil myself on a plot point through that. :p

Of course you find out that plot point a minute or two later. Specifically...

Prison Island, the Monado displays the character for person, so I figured the Faced Mechon were people juuuuust before Shulk cuts Face Nemesis open. I did have my suspicions about it beforehand, though.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
In actuality, if you guys hack Xenoblade and zoom in on the Monado VERY CLOSELY you can see an inscription on it's frame.

It says
Made in China. :troll:

Thus the Chinese for the symbols.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
we got to get a reveal this week or next their is no way I don't see MK being the last character announced

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
we got to get a reveal this week or next their is no way I don't see MK being the last character announced
If you mean Smash Bros, there's a Friday Nintendo Direct focused on Smash Bros.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, this leak could have pushed any reveals back, as Sakurai knows showing anything would prove it true. I mean maybe he was planning on not showing us anything as to keep us waiting with baited breath but considering we're in the final month you'd have thought there'd be more.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Unfortunately, this leak could have pushed any reveals back, as Sakurai knows showing anything would prove it true. I mean maybe he was planning on not showing us anything as to keep us waiting with baited breath but considering we're in the final month you'd have thought there'd be more.
I don't see him doing that since he did not do that with Sal's leak

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah I don't think Sakurai gives a crap about leaks. He will reveal a character whenever he feels like it... Or whenever Nintendo finally decides to do a new Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
The difference is Sal's leak was false. He did say there was at least one more trailer remaining, so I think we should expect to see someone in the coming few weeks before Japan's release. And of the unrevealed newcomers we know about, Shulk would definitely be the most hype, especially for Japan.

Ynikoma

Smash Rookie
You know, Wii U version will have some kind of trailers after 3DS version release. It's possible that we get more character trailers, even though their not reveal trailers anymore. Just hype for Wii U version. Either that or just gameplay trailers.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
you know I am thinking shulk is gonna be a poor air fighter based on that leak we see his jumps are pretty stiff since he jumps like he does in xenoblade so makes me wonder if his attacks are gonna show that stiffness in the air

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
You know, Wii U version will have some kind of trailers after 3DS version release. It's possible that we get more character trailers, even though their not reveal trailers anymore. Just hype for Wii U version. Either that or just gameplay trailers.
Yeah, I think so too. Sakurai continued to update Brawl's website with the game's unlockable characters even after it was released. I'm certain he'll be releasing more trailers for the remaining newcomers in-between the 3DS version and the Wii U version's release dates. That might mean we'll have to wait even longer for a proper Shulk reveal though... ... ... ugh.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
That's pretty much true, but...

Japanese and Chinese both use Kanji, which originated from Chinese, but the japanese readings have different pronounciations and even different meanings entirely. It's like how English/Spanish/German/French/etcetcetc all use roman letters, but those letters mean different things in different languages. I only know Japanese, not Chinese, but we know the different monado modes have names like Speed, Enchant, etc... so if the kanji that appears for Monado Speed, for instance, says "Speed" in chinese then they're likely meant to be chinese! (It definitely doesn't mean Speed in Japanese anyway)
Huh, I always knew that the pronunciations were completely different, but I wasn't aware that the meanings were too.

I just want to see Shulk's glorious hair in HD, is that too much to ask? D:
I'd rather see Dunban's hair in HD, tbh.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
you know I am thinking shulk is gonna be a poor air fighter based on that leak we see his jumps are pretty stiff since he jumps like he does in xenoblade so makes me wonder if his attacks are gonna show that stiffness in the air
They actually seem to. The few moves he shows in the leaked footage suggest as much anyway.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
ok, last two days, the PoTD were features that were previously leaked. If this trend continues tonight, I'm officially calling it that Sakurai's up to some mischief.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
I guess this is like, the community's punishment for spreading those leaks like wildfire. No more interesting Pics of the Day....just Menu shots from now on.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
They've pretty much already been proven true since he posted about Spectator mode which looks exactly like the one leaked a day earlier.

I don't think it'll change their plans. As they say the show must go on. I can't see them missing the chance to drum up some more excitement by showing off a trailer just because the leaks happened.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
REMINDER: There are 1 or more newcomer trailers remaining from what Sakurai said. I hope Shulk is a part of it
Didn't Sakurai say he wanted a reveal trailer for every newcomer? If this big leak is real, that means Shulk, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt Dog will all get one (I'll exclude Dark Pit because of his appearance in the Palutena trailer).

EDIT: It's still possible that the trailers will be shown after the 3DS game's release, but I will be quite shocked if the biggest character from those three (Shulk) doesn't get revealed beforehand.

Last edited:

Ynikoma

Smash Rookie
Couple of things I noticed in the leaked vid that I think haven't been pointed out.

When Shulk activates one of the modes, the symbol of the mode glows in the Monado. In the first image below Shulk has activated the Speed mode and the symbol glows in the Monado. In the second image, when the mode wears off, the symbol isn't there anymore. Maybe this indicates that not all of the modes are shown as glowing body parts (like blue feet in the Speed mode or red hands in the Buster (?) mode).

Other thing that I noticed is that Shulk actually pulls out his Monado when using normal shield. Notice in the gif below how he puts the Monado away after shielding. However, It doesn't seem that the Modano is activated.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Is Nintendo going to reveal a new character any time soon? August is almost over and they barely show us anything mostly smash run and the Mii fighters, come on Nintendo show us something new and keep some of the smash run stuff a secret.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Is Nintendo going to reveal a new character any time soon? August is almost over and they barely show us anything mostly smash run and the Mii fighters, come on Nintendo show us something new and keep some of the smash run stuff a secret.
Smash Bros. 3DS Release in Japan. I am almost 100% sure a character will be revealed on that day.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Just random point here

They're not kanji guys, they're Chinese characters on the monado

(I know chuggaaconroy's video pointed this out but as i've studied chinese for 5 years i knew the difference from the start, his video just reminded me that it annoys me when people assume they're japanese characters just cause it's a JRPG)
THANKYOU. This was bugging me. Not because I can read/speak Chinese, but because the internet told me it was Chinese a while back.

Didn't Sakurai say he wanted a reveal trailer for every newcomer? If this big leak is real, that means Shulk, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt Dog will all get one (I'll exclude Dark Pit because of his appearance in the Palutena trailer).

EDIT: It's still possible that the trailers will be shown after the 3DS game's release, but I will be quite shocked if the biggest character from those three (Shulk) doesn't get revealed beforehand.
I think that every trailer will be shown before 3DS (so maybe just one more?), but in the event that a trailer is never shown 'officially', maybe they'll be viewable in Smash itself, much like Brawl had access to E3 videos and Snake/Sonic reveals.

On topic of the Nintendo Direct, someone told me that the #MonadoMonday Robin/Lucina reveal was actually announced in a JP-only Direct. Not sure if that's true, but maybe there's something to look forward to.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
(EDIT: Double post, I'm sorry! I thought this was another tab!)

Standard shield does not look like Monado Shield barrier.

This leak gives me so much to love and hate at the same time.

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I think that every trailer will be shown before 3DS (so maybe just one more?), but in the event that a trailer is never shown 'officially', maybe they'll be viewable in Smash itself, much like Brawl had access to E3 videos and Snake/Sonic reveals.
I don't think that they will be in the game, and if they are, they'll be low-quality renders and likely not in 3D. Remember Brawl had to have a double-layered disc that some older Wiis couldn't read? That was because around 75% of the games files were video files for Subspace Emissary, trailers and etc.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I don't think that they will be in the game, and if they are, they'll be low-quality renders and likely not in 3D. Remember Brawl had to have a double-layered disc that some older Wiis couldn't read? That was because around 75% of the games files were video files for Subspace Emissary, trailers and etc.
True, for some reason I forgot "3DS Version" was a thing. Quite doable on Wii U, I'd expect.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
(EDIT: Double post, I'm sorry! I thought this was another tab!)

Standard shield does not look like Monado Shield barrier.

This leak gives me so much to love and hate at the same time.
I could see Shield being an Art swap that would change it and give him resisted knock back or a better shield for defense or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom