• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Wow, I just made a video about this and I'm uploading it to Youtube right now. I'll post a link in about 30 minutes, when it's uploaded it.
Can't wait to see it. The symbols get so blurry when paused, so I'll bet a video analysis would be better.

This is pretty much what our speculation on Monado symbols amounts to:

I just realized there's one symbol we haven't considered yet.
Although I doubt it would be used :p

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
The 3DS version supposedly has Guar Plains as the Xenoblade stage, last I checked. I wonder what Xenoblade stage the Wii U version will have? Hopefully somefin like Eryth Sea or Satorl Marsh. While Guar Plains is certainly pretty, it's not the most beautiful place in the game.

hey now, #teamShulk has Ridley supporters too.
OI! Ridley supporter here, and 90% of us didn't say any such thing. You propably went "But he's too big!" on our ***** more than we did say anything against Shulk together.
I apologize. I wasn't trying to incite an argument. I was just making a point. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Ridley in smash.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Ha. Look at this; Nintendo shut down another one.
The funny reality is that the pandora's box has already been opened and it doesn't really matter at this point how many times Nintendo rips it off youtube at this point.

Ynikoma

Smash Rookie
Ok, here's the video about Monado arts in the leak. Please watch this in HD since the original footage is so blurry.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
-Shulk stands stands still in a very similar way to how he does in Xenoblade
-Shulk jumps the same way he does in Xenoblade
-edit: It's hard to tell, but I think he might have the same run too
(can see both in this gif)

-Slit Edge

-Stream edge

-Shadow Eye

-Air Slash

-SEVERAL Monado Arts

We are not yet sure what they all are, but here's some of my speculation

So much more Xenoblade in this moveset than I would have expected. There are also a lot of moves we haven't seen yet, along with the final smash.
NICE work! Sums up everything that we saw perfectly. I noticed Stream edge too, but couldn't really make out the details when I watched it.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Honestly Shulk seems like a very random selection to fake footage. theyd get more hype (the leakers) by faking more popular characters like ridley or snake. I just cant see any false leaker going through that trouble for a character in an obscure jrpg that many people havent heard of. (A jrpg that is in my top 3 of all time)

Ynikoma

Smash Rookie
Honestly Shulk seems like a very random selection to fake footage. theyd get more hype (the leakers) by faking more popular characters like ridley or snake. I just cant see any false leaker going through that trouble for a character in an obscure jrpg that many people havent heard of. (A jrpg that is in my top 3 of all time)
Well, maybe not so random since he's been in so many leaks already. Including him in the fake footage just makes it belivable when other leaks support it.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Ok, here's the video about Monado arts in the leak. Please watch this in HD since the original footage is so blurry.

This make me more convinced about shulk move set now after seeing this.
I'm aware of the situation with the Ice Climbers. That doesn't address your point about the transformations, DDD moves, or Olimars Pikmin.
I'm not going to keep talking about this so I'm just going to say this, I don't think they where going to make Zelda Zero suit Samus, and sheik their own character just because they just wanted to, I'm guesting that they try to get four zeldas to transform and that didn't work so they made them there own character, it don't make sense for them to remove the Ice Climbers because the only move that may cause them problems is their B move, so that may tie in with King DDD and Olimars moves, it may be horrendous to keep the frame rate up with all of the waddle dees and Pikimin running around.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

I can confirm that the thing with the red hands is definitely a power effect. You can see Shulk uses the down smash on Ganondorf early on and it does very little knockback, but then later on, with Ganondorf taking no more damage between the two attacks, Shulk hits him again with the down smash while having the red hands activated and it sends Ganondorf flying much further.

A little criticism though: I think the mode that activates the power effect is Monado Enchant. It makes more sense than Monado Buster since along with allowing people to hurt mechon is also improves the damage of auto attacks. You show that both of them are in use in the video, but it does not really make sense that both of them boost power, since Monado Enchant's mode wouldn't make sense to do anything else.

When the mode deactivates, it doesn't really look like Monado Buster to me in that frame that was paused. It's hard to make it out to be anything rally, but a few frames later, you have Monado Enchant.

If it is Monado Enchant, that explains the difference in order you bring up in the video.

I enjoyed the video though, really nice analysis :)

edit: Oh and I love the music too! I'm a big fan of the Colony 9 music

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
It's possible there is a distinction between a mode boosting knockback and another boosting damage dealt instead. There are a lot of possibilities here, especially since we know Palutena can increase her speed at the exchange at her taking more knockback (because she's lighter).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
-Shulk stands stands still in a very similar way to how he does in Xenoblade
-Shulk jumps the same way he does in Xenoblade
-edit: It's hard to tell, but I think he might have the same run too
(can see both in this gif)

-Slit Edge

-Stream edge

-Shadow Eye

-Air Slash

-SEVERAL Monado Arts

We are not yet sure what they all are, but here's some of my speculation

So much more Xenoblade in this moveset than I would have expected. There are also a lot of moves we haven't seen yet, along with the final smash.
@ Shun_one Shun_one Enchant is likely a pure power boost while booster would likely be knockback and perhaps range

If Cylcone and Buster are both part of his neutral special (@ Ynikoma Ynikoma mentions Armour but not Cyclone in his video, I haven't really compared yet to see what I think) then his Final Smash has to either relate to visions or be chain attack. (Or perhaps be the
true Monado [/close spoiler]

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
If it a fake that must be one good fake, I don't think anyone will put that much time to make a fake moveset look real and i don't think Nintendo will take it down if it was fake.

Ynikoma

Smash Rookie
I can confirm that the thing with the red hands is definitely a power effect. You can see Shulk uses the down smash on Ganondorf early on and it does very little knockback, but then later on, with Ganondorf taking no more damage between the two attacks, Shulk hits him again with the down smash while having the red hands activated and it sends Ganondorf flying much further.

A little criticism though: I think the mode that activates the power effect is Monado Enchant. It makes more sense than Monado Buster since along with allowing people to hurt mechon is also improves the damage of auto attacks. You show that both of them are in use in the video, but it does not really make sense that both of them boost power, since Monado Enchant's mode wouldn't make sense to do anything else.

When the mode deactivates, it doesn't really look like Monado Buster to me in that frame that was paused. It's hard to make it out to be anything rally, but a few frames later, you have Monado Enchant.

If it is Monado Enchant, that explains the difference in order you bring up in the video.

I enjoyed the video though, really nice analysis :)

edit: Oh and I love the music too! I'm a big fan of the Colony 9 music
Yeah I agree with you; enchant should be the mode that boosts attack power. However I'm still sure it's Buster

I should have included this in the vid.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, interesting. I'm really against the idea of having Monado Buster be a buff, I would much rather it be Monado Enchant. Although, we'll have to wait for an official reveal for more info.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Hmmm, interesting. I'm really against the idea of having Monado Buster be a buff, I would much rather it be Monado Enchant. Although, we'll have to wait for an official reveal for more info.
It's killing me that I can't see the trailer right now.......
How long must you make us wait, Sakurai?

Every time the potd comes around I'm expecting to see a Smash Direct date revealed.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
It's killing me that I can't see the trailer right now.......
How long must you make us wait, Sakurai?

Every time the potd comes around I'm expecting to see a Smash Direct date revealed.
Maybe it's because the potds this week so far have been pretty lackluster (showing us stuff we already knew from the 3DS E3 trailer) but if that keeps up I feel like either by the end of this week or beginning next week we'll either get a direct or a newcomer livestream. Of course I'll probably be wrong, but if I keep saying we'll get a direct this week, eventually I'll be right!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel SO much better now that we know Shulk isn't a clone.

From what I can tell it seems like the moveset is much more faithful to Shulk and Xenoblade than we initially thought.

I have a pretty good feeling about Shulk being the next (and probably) final trailer reveal before release. I think he would be the best choice for an epic trailer.

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Just random point here

They're not kanji guys, they're Chinese characters on the monado

(I know chuggaaconroy's video pointed this out but as i've studied chinese for 5 years i knew the difference from the start, his video just reminded me that it annoys me when people assume they're japanese characters just cause it's a JRPG)

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Just random point here

They're not kanji guys, they're Chinese characters on the monado

(I know chuggaaconroy's video pointed this out but as i've studied chinese for 5 years i knew the difference from the start, his video just reminded me that it annoys me when people assume they're japanese characters just cause it's a JRPG)
I thought kanji was just the Japanese word for the Chinese characters.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
I'm really looking forward to play as Shulk. I always wanted to use Link but he is not very good, hope Shulk turns out better than him.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Kanji is the Japanese word for Japanese characters. It's understandable that people mistake them, as Japanese was derived from Chinese and so shares a lot of similar, some even identical characters, but Monado arts are clearly Chinese.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Kanji are an abbreviation of words in Japanese used in symbols, think of it like reading pictures. Some are borrowed from Chinese symbols. Here are two sentences with Hiragana only and with Kanji.
わたしわここにさかなをたべます。 (I eat fish here.)
私はここに魚食べます。(I eat fish here.)
The Kanji make sentences shorter and easier to read.

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
Maybe it's because the potds this week so far have been pretty lackluster (showing us stuff we already knew from the 3DS E3 trailer) but if that keeps up I feel like either by the end of this week or beginning next week we'll either get a direct or a newcomer livestream. Of course I'll probably be wrong, but if I keep saying we'll get a direct this week, eventually I'll be right!
Well we are seeing a lot of detail about some of the game modes...

And Shulk is about changing modes to buff certain characteristics...

Ya catch my drift?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Well we are seeing a lot of detail about some of the game modes...

And Shulk is about changing modes to buff certain characteristics...

Ya catch my drift?

The fact that the Monado can grow in length is not helping. Dang it Freud!

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Speaking of Chugga's Let's Play videos...

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when people try to incite some sort of guessing game to make other people guess what the answer is? I keep seeing posts like, "Heh, I bet you none of you would ever guess who Alvis is," or "You know, those High Entia. There's a reason why those Alcamoth quests are timed," or "Fiora's not really dead, or is she? Who knoooooows." It's like they're trying to encourage other people to guess what or who something is, which is essentially spoiling, even when Chugga said no spoilers. Speculation, however, is allowed, but the quote examples I give out aren't speculation at all; they merely bait so someone else can potentially spoil it.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Chugga's Let's Play videos...

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when people try to incite some sort of guessing game to make other people guess what the answer is? I keep seeing posts like, "Heh, I bet you none of you would ever guess who Alvis is," or "You know, those High Entia. There's a reason why those Alcamoth quests are timed," or "Fiora's not really dead, or is she? Who knoooooows." It's like they're trying to encourage other people to guess what or who something is, which is essentially spoiling, even when Chugga said no spoilers. Speculation, however, is allowed, but the quote examples I give out aren't speculation at all; they merely bait so someone else can potentially spoil it.
I even saw one comment that stated exactly who Alvis is in the video where he helps Shulk fight the Telethia, but it was under the guise of "speculation". I handled the situation by calling him out in the only way I knew how without telling other people who haven't played the game yet that he was right, and made a
of myself in the process. Some good Youtube samaritan who hadn't played the game in turn called me out, and I couldn't say anything in my defense without spoiling anything. Man, I am such a good person.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I even saw one comment that stated exactly who Alvis is in the video where he helps Shulk fight the Telethia, but it was under the guise of "speculation". I handled the situation by calling him out in the only way I knew how without telling other people who haven't played the game yet that he was right, and made a
of myself in the process. Some good Youtube samaritan who hadn't played the game in turn called me out, and I couldn't say anything in my defense without spoiling anything. Man, I am such a good person.
Yeah, it's almost impossible to talk about this game's plot without spoiling something, and that makes it all the more infuriating when someone spoils it. You can't defend yourself because by defending yourself you end up spoiling something.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
That's pretty much true, but...

Japanese and Chinese both use Kanji, which originated from Chinese, but the japanese readings have different pronounciations and even different meanings entirely. It's like how English/Spanish/German/French/etcetcetc all use roman letters, but those letters mean different things in different languages. I only know Japanese, not Chinese, but we know the different monado modes have names like Speed, Enchant, etc... so if the kanji that appears for Monado Speed, for instance, says "Speed" in chinese then they're likely meant to be chinese! (It definitely doesn't mean Speed in Japanese anyway)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom