• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Nintendo just confirmed that these leaks are real by removing the videos. GG

BUT HOLY CRAP GUYS, SHULK IS IN, TURN DOWN FOR WHAT

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
Nintendo just confirmed that these leaks are real by removing the videos. GG

BUT HOLY CRAP GUYS, SHULK IS IN, TURN DOWN FOR WHAT
It can go either way: Either the leak is real, or they removed it due to the idea of someone messing with everyone's expectations.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Interesting choice of stance.
Little weird that they chose his casual standing animation over his battle one, I really doubt he'll use his fists much. Hopefully there's more to him than meets the eye, the Monado just being able to adjust his stats is a little lackluster. Especially for what Shulk is normally capable of doing.

Whit

Smash Journeyman
After the game comes out and we can begin hacking Smash 4 like we can brawl, somebody needs to make a Shulk with sunglasses on. I would download that so hard

100/10 would main all day everyday

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Well I'm not doubting Shulk's inclusion or the manado's power but the leaks ^^
When I think of this stuning unofficial Mario Ad some guy made a while ago, I know some people are capable of crazy things like this.
Only sakurai words are gold to me.
I simply mean that if Shulk will truly be in the game people will be getting hit by the Monado a lot ;)

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
If it was fake I don't think it would even be on their radar, regardless of how good a fake it was.
Well think about it this way: The leaks were uploaded four hours ago, and they've racked in almost 100,000 views total. Such attention could can hurt Nintendo and the fans.
Also, in some of the videos, the two screens shift places. Sometimes the top and bottom are located at their respective positions, and then there are some videos where the bottom screen is shoved to the right.
In addition, Sakurai has been working on the Ice Climbers based on an IGN article (I can't post a link yet...)
I know it sounds like I don't want to believe this leak, but seriously, I'd much rather take anything with a grain of salt than have my expectations tampered with.

skypunch

Smash Rookie
I'm so glad that Shulk's in! (I knew he'd be in anyway) and I love how they've nailed his goofy jumping animation :p Now we just have to wait for his CGI trailer!

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
The way I see it. A lot of things aren't truly final. The roster we see probably is official, but any gameplay footage is probably several months old and bound to be different by now, from animations, to sound clips, to music, all that jazz is "unofficial" almost definitely tweaked and enhanced. Shulks victory stuff could be unrecognizable from the leak by the time of it's official release. Same goes for movesets. They're being play tested and tweaked every day.

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
Well, this is great news for me. Shulk was my most wanted newcomer, and I'm glad that--against the odds </Dunban>--me made it into the game.

Though I do feel that his moveset could be better, I need to see more of it, specifically in a trailer, to make a better judgment.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
*Skips to recent page*
So a total of 440 supporters. :D
We have gone so far, I'm so glad Xenoblade is getting the representation!
(I'm still accepting requests until Shulk is confirmed)

Last edited:

Ninjendo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninjendo92
As much as I'm still rooting for Shulk to be in, I'm still also waiting for some more solid evidence (and hopefully a changed moveset). The guy looked like he used a potato to record the footage. It's 2014 for goodness sake!

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Now I hate school. It made me miss these videos.

On a side note, from what I saw, not what I expected from Shulk. I'm still ecstatic that he is most likely in the game, but now I want to see what happens with his customizable moves. It's great enough that you can change your strategy from an offensive one to a defensive one on the fly, he seems like he could be a very technical character.

Also good for mode changes, the kanji looked amazing. My friends all have a brute force strategy, but one discovered he could switch from a more offensive style to a defensive style by shifting his controller, so I'm pretty used to this.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Interesting choice of stance.
Little weird that they chose his casual standing animation over his battle one, I really doubt he'll use his fists much. Hopefully there's more to him than meets the eye, the Monado just being able to adjust his stats is a little lackluster. Especially for what Shulk is normally capable of doing.
True, but on the other hand, micro-managing those buffs would give him a very unique playstyle. Let's just hope that if he truly has 5 modes to choose from, some of them are a bit more exciting than flat out buffing him.

...What move is it? His neutral B? How to customize that?

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
my biggest problem with the moveset shulk has is the stance not because it does not rep the xenoblade games at all (even though I agree with that statement still) but because it's the same as transformations and sakurai flat out said their would be no transformations in this game

Booster

Smash Lord
My new avatar is based on a really ****ty Lion King knock off movie made to be watched on a PS1

Shulk (and Bowser Jr) is pretty much confirmed already, with Nintendo forcing the videos of the leak. Glad to see he made it and Bowser Jr. isn't a clone of Bowser

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
My new avatar is based on a really ****ty Lion King knock off movie made to be watched on a PS1

Shulk (and Bowser Jr) is pretty much confirmed already, with Nintendo forcing the videos of the leak. Glad to see he made it and Bowser Jr. isn't a clone of Bowser
That would be really weird. To see Bowser Jr. grab and suplex Donkey Kong.

On a Shulk note: Really looking forward to using Shulk, I like characters that require strategy.

Booster

Smash Lord
That would be really weird. To see Bowser Jr. grab and suplex Donkey Kong.

On a Shulk note: Really looking forward to using Shulk, I like characters that require strategy.
I wonder what his Final Smash is going to be (I didn't beat the game but I enjoyed the 60 hours I played, hopefully it's not a spoiler power, I like spoilers for fighting games but that's it.)

Bowser Jr: Dad you son of a ***** I'm gonna **** your ass up with my clown car

Bowser: Oh heeeeelllllllll naw. I'm gonna beat 'cho ass, I'm top tier now you son of a *****...oh Pauline, why do you hate me so much?

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I like the way Shulk's "default" pose is, he is like "I don't even know what I am doing here".

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
But i
my biggest problem with the moveset shulk has is the stance not because it does not rep the xenoblade games at all (even though I agree with that statement still) but because it's the same as transformations and sakurai flat out said their would be no transformations in this game
But it's not a transformation. If anything, it's a stance. Think of Gen from Street Fighter, or someone similar.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I never understood why people thought they were the same move.

Shulk has much more vertical coverage while Lucina and Marth have coverage to the back of them.

Slit Edge and Shield Breaker are hardly the same either. Lucina and Marth have much longer reach. Only similar moves are Air Slash and the possible counter move, which could easily be Shadow Eye.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I never understood why people thought they were the same move.

Shulk has much more vertical coverage while Lucina and Marth have coverage to the back of them.

Slit Edge and Shield Breaker are hardly the same either. Lucina and Marth have much longer reach. Only similar moves are Air Slash and the possible counter move, which could easily be Shadow Eye.
The most blantant stolen moves are still Up-B and down A, Marth and Links respectively.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
The most blantant stolen moves are still Up-B and down A, Marth and Links respectively.
I could see the Link comparison, but Shulk thrusts the Monado's reach down further while Link's is actually pretty lackluster. I could be totally wrong, though; this is just coming from memory

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
Pepole,this shulk moveset most likely to be old XD
the up b are te only cloned atack because are work in progress the others are really diferent.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
True, but on the other hand, micro-managing those buffs would give him a very unique playstyle. Let's just hope that if he truly has 5 modes to choose from, some of them are a bit more exciting than flat out buffing him.

...What move is it? His neutral B? How to customize that?
Now I'm not saying that it's bad, I actually think it's neat. Though I figured Mewtwo would use them before Shulk, I imagined Shulk more like being a stance character where he could utilize his regular arts and monado arts through activating the monado and deactivating it. Mostly changing his speed and strength along with some of his regular attacks and specials.

I'm gonna guess Down B, because it would make no sense for Kirby.

Whit

Smash Journeyman
The reach on Shulk is just vicious! I guess we expected that considering the Monado is so big but oh my Bionis is that scary! Also can anybody make out the symbols that appear behind him? At one point in the video he cycles through them all quickly. It looks like there are around 5 of them.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I'm ecstatic Shulk is there, but it really would have been better if he was confirmed in a trailer.

Also, I have yet to see footage of him on the WiiU.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Now I'm not saying that it's bad, I actually think it's neat. Though I figured Mewtwo would use them before Shulk, I imagined Shulk more like being a stance character where he could utilize his regular arts and monado arts through activating the monado and deactivating it. Mostly changing his speed and strength along with some of his regular attacks and specials.

I'm gonna guess Down B, because it would make no sense for Kirby.
True. The thing is, didn't he move about while he used it? I'm wondering if it couldn't be a neutral B that then relies on the directional input of the analog stick after it is pressed once. Four directions, plus a neutral. Could work, if a bit wonky at times.
If it is buffs only, Kirby could probably still use it. Would that mean he'd be wearing the Monado on his head?

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I could see the Link comparison, but Shulk thrusts the Monado's reach down further while Link's is actually pretty lackluster. I could be totally wrong, though; this is just coming from memory
The movements are all stolen nontheless HENCE my theory this is dated and shows Shulk in a stage where they tested where to put him compared to other swordfighters - that most of his moves are just fillers to be able to play around with the character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only one that noticed that Shulk is using a form of Iaido?

The art of drawing your sword, striking swiftly, and then sheathe the blade.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Am I the only one that noticed that Shulk is using a form of Iaido?

The art of drawing your sword, striking swiftly, and then sheathe the blade.
I also saw the Monado symbol appearing, could this mean Shulk switches arts mid gameplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom