• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Don't trust the CPU playing Shulk to give you a good impression with a 10 and a 1/2 foot pole. Remember guys, Luigi beat every CPU at level 9 without doing anything in the series so far. :p

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Been watching the leaked footage for about 30 minutes straight now. . . Just came by to say to everyone that we did it! I will say that from a visual standpoint, Shulk doesn't play or move how I imagined him to (neither good nor bad as of now), but regardless, he is in fact confirmed and I am excited! The future does indeed belong to us!

On a side note, here's to more Xenoblade Chronicles exposure as well! Oh, and hooray for Bowser Jr. supporters, too. ;w;

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Some of Shulk's moves look pretty good, and his gimmick looks interesting. I hope his side B impresses.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
So, if this leak is true (I have enough things that make me doubt it despite the videos) how are you feeling? Do you like Shulk straightout being a semiclone of several characters mixed into one and his dorky facial expression? Is that really what you people wanted? This looks like Falcondrok 2.0 atm.

(For all that don't get what I'm getting at, his Up-B is Marths Dolphin Slash, Down Air is Link/Toon-Links Stone in Sword, side B is Marths shield break... did we really need a straight up Marth clone AND a Marth/Link semi-cone? I'd be extremely annoyed at Sakurai if THAT is what they made Shulk like. EURGH.)

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So, if this leak is true (I have enough things that make me doubt it despite the videos) how are you feeling? Do you like Shulk straightout being a semiclone of several characters mixed into one and his dorky facial expression? Is that really what you people wanted? This looks like Falcondrok 2.0 atm.

(For all that don't get what I'm getting at, his Up-B is Marths Dolphin Slash, Down Air is Link/Toon-Links Stone in Sword, side B is Marths shield break... did we really need a straight up Marth clone AND a Marth/Link semi-cone? I'd be extremely annoyed at Sakurai if THAT is what they made Shulk like. EURGH.)
My thoughts exactly. Shulk could've had such a unique moveset, but nope, just throw other sword user moves on him and call it a day. UGH.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
These forums are lagging, they cannot contain our hype!

Blast this to intensify hype.

Shulk's unique as it is with his long ranged strikes and modes!! I wonder what his custom moves will bring to the table!

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Shulk looks like a mix of characters is dissapointing. There's a Monado Enchant and Monado Speed but I wanted Purge

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Nope, it's real guys! There is no way this is a brawl mod, what with Charizard smoking at high damage, the different graphic people have when being hit, and a lot of other details.

In this video Shulk uses Monado Speed and Monado Enchant, which first show their corresponding Chinese symbols, and then put a glowing graphic around the part of Shulk that is effected. With Monado Speed, his feet are blue, and with Monado Enchant, his hands are red.

It seems that his side smash and up smash are him pointing his monado in the direction of the opponent and then activating it in order to hurt them. It's kind of weird, lol, but w/e. They both look like they have really good range, especially the up smash.

Up B is air slash, looks like Marth's.

Down B is a counter of sort, but given Shulk's stance when he uses it, it appears like he's going to do a dodge attack rather than countering.

His neutral air is partially shown, but he lands on the ground. It seems like the slash starts low and will go up.

Down air looks like it's a meteor smash

Down smash is a spinny thing. When Shulk first uses it on Ganondorf, Ganondorf is barely hurt, but the second time Ganondorf is really hurt, and between the two hits ganondorf wasnn't hit once. Shulk has Monado enchant on during the second time. There's also the possibility that the Monado is most powerful if the opponent is hit by the blue blade of light rather than the red metal part.

Up tilt looks like Marth's but with much better range.

I think he might use his down tilt at 30 seconds in. It's hard to see.

At 44 seconds I think he uses his first jab attack. Also hard to see. Looks like one of his auto attacks though.

Fighter stance seems to be either "Way to beat it!" or "We did it!" It's really hard to make out what he's saying though.

I think that the side B might be Monado speed and the B might be Monado enchant, due to seeing nothing else that could be those. As for cutsom moves, I could see Monado Cyclone being an up b, and the modes being exchanged for other modes or attacks.

Victory theme is Those Who Bear Their Name/You Will Know Our Names. In the victory screen, Shulk's animation is the same as when he puts his weapon away in the game, except he then strikes a victorious superman pose.

I'll admit, the feeling of this is not as good as if Shulk came from a trailer. The CPU being junky with him also contributes to this. And the fact it's a low qual recording from the 3ds version. Shulk will still be awesome though!! ...and he's in!! Shulk!! From Xenoblade!! :D!! Geeze, I'm so glad to finally have this. He's just so deserving. That game is just so deserving.

Maybe I will make gifs of the moves now
just buff zard up its easy to hack this game im sorry but shulk is just a texture hack with swaped moves from link marth and C.falcon

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
There are supposedly different modes that change how Shulk works, something like this:

Mode 1: Massive attack - Terrible Defense
Mode 2: High attack - Low Defense
Mode 3: Balanced
Mode 4: High defence - Low Attack
Mode 5: Huge defence - Terrible Defence
Ah okay thanks. I thought people were saying he would have a changed moveset or something with each mode

It would be an interesting strategy so he could match most people's play style. I would go massive attack first but as my percentage racked up I'd switch to defensive.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
just buff zard up its easy to hack this game im sorry but shulk is just a texture hack with swaped moves from link marth and C.falcon
Forget that the characters were smoking at a high level, that the footage is running at a higher FPS then Brawl, and the Smash 4 specific screen KO.

Also, this: http://imgur.com/a/PzeCw

This would be an insane amount of work to fake.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
What about legit footage with fake added to it ? We have no video footage of either DrMario, Dark pit or DHD (though this last one looks pretty legit to me). Maybe the leakers played with legit datas, I don't know if possible.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm surprised he wasn't more unique.
There were some really odd design choices for Shulk, that's for sure. Out of all the possible down b moves they could have given him, they gave him counter. Lord knows we needed more Swordsmen with a counter move.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm just glad he's in the game now, most likely. I hope he'll be good enough so I can go solo-Shulk in tournament!

:059:

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
He looks amazing in that render, his victory theme is dope, and he looks super fun to play as. Like seriously, I've been waiting for this glorious moment for two years now AND IT FINALLY HAPPENED. I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW. Oh man, I can hardly contain my excitement for this!!

Staarih

Smash Master
Congrats guys, and me too, we got who we wanted:) I personally am extremely happy that Shulk is in the first place, I'll worry about his move set later (if at all).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I would have preferred the Herepon, but Shulk will have to do. THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have been told that's not all though. It's a stretch, but I think we miiiiiiiiiight see a 2nd Xenoblade rep alongside Shulk too, most likely either Riki or Seven.

But either way I'm super happy!!

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's just a shame we found out through crappy off-screen footage and not a fancy CGI trailer.

But, he's in, and that's what ultimately matters.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
well, congratulations you guys ^u^
While I don't have much of a personal connection to Shulk, I know a friend of mine that is gonna be very, very happy.
I'll at least be glad to hear his amazing British voice.

AeriusAstrum

Smash Rookie
Shulk's moveset:
Up special: Definitely air slash, he even yells the name.
Down special: Could be a counter, but the animation looks like shulk's 'Shadow eye' art, right down to the glinting eye.
Side special: Not shown
Neutral special: Mode change, appears to activate monado enchant (glowing hands) or monado speed (glowing feet)

Up smash: Plants monado in the ground and extends the blade
Side smash: Stabbing attack
Down smash: Clockwise spinning attack that hits both sides

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
I think that if he has a counter as shown in the video, it's gonna be the backslash, so he'll end up behind the opponent. I could totally dig that. So glad that Shulk is in! I couldn't help but start listening to the Xenoblade Chronicles OST

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
this is the internet trolls went through a lot more just to troll
When this sort of reason becomes the arguments against a thing, you really haven't got much of a case left. You obviously have the rights to your suspicions, but seriously, that's all they are.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
it's been a while since I posted here been absent mainly because as newbie to the Xenoblade series I had nothing to bring to the discussion. However I stopped by to say congrats to all of you who supported Shulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom