• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think a HUGE percentage of us are also Mother fans, so any news mixed in with a Lucas cut will be bittersweet at best.

I could get used to stance Shulk, and if that IS his gimmick, I'm sure Sakurai made it work. It doesn't mean I have to like the idea.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
One thing that I do find interesting in the new leak is that Shulk does not always have the Monado out. You can clearly see him with it safely stored on his back doing some sort of attack (might be a grab, actually.)

This would answer one of my questions.... which is "how does Shulk grab items when he uses a two handed weapon?" He actually does use it as a two handed sword in the game, so I always doubted he would have a lot of one handed attacks like Ike. It will still be odd to see him holding something like the Superscope and then suddenly swinging his Monado around.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
One thing that I do find interesting in the new leak is that Shulk does not always have the Monado out. You can clearly see him with it safely stored on his back doing some sort of attack (might be a grab, actually.)

This would answer one of my questions.... which is "how does Shulk grab items when he uses a two handed weapon?" He actually does use it as a two handed sword in the game, so I always doubted he would have a lot of one handed attacks like Ike. It will still be odd to see him holding something like the Superscope and then suddenly swinging his Monado around.
That's my concern with his gameplay. If it's on his back he won't whip it out so fast, making me think his Monado attacks are strong with a lot of range and he needs jabs for quick attacks. If a character has no quick attacks he's bound to be terrible, imo, so Sakurai did this for balance.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

I thought that image was already confirmed to be a brawl hack?

But either way Ike's sword is techincally two handed as well so I assume Shulk will either just hold the monodo in one hand or hang it from his back again. He doesn't have the force like Robin.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman

He does use it as a two handed sword mainly, but you can see him in a lot of cutscenes holding it in just one hand. I'm sure he can handle the Monado in one hand and an item in another.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
He does use it as a two handed sword mainly, but you can see him in a lot of cutscenes holding it in just one hand. I'm sure he can handle the Monado in one hand and an item in another.
If not he'll become dunban 2.0 only this time his right hand so they can give each other dead hand highfives :troll:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Well, I'm a Xenoblade fan but no mother fan, but I mained Lucas for a lot of Brawl. Just Ness is fine with me though. I suppose they could give Ness some of Lucas's mechanics.

Gahh that Shulk looks really cool =]. I was gone all yesterday and most of today so I just got word. I'm still skeptical but things are looking better as I continue to consider it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
2 handed Shulk would actually be the best version I think... Though yeah,grabs are an issue.

And yeah, as much as I liked Mother 3 I don't mind Lucas' absence. I never played him much.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, I'm a Xenoblade fan but no mother fan, but I mained Lucas for a lot of Brawl. Just Ness is fine with me though. I suppose they could give Ness some of Lucas's mechanics.

Gahh that Shulk looks really cool =]. I was gone all yesterday and most of today so I just got word. I'm still skeptical but things are looking better as I continue to consider it.
The render is REALLY nice. Best part of that leak... although honestly, the Duck Hunt Dog render was also pretty fantastic. You might hate the character, but I never thought I would see any version of him look so good.

I was also always a fan of Shulk wearing goggles, hopefully he at least has the option on some of his alt costumes.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
The render is REALLY nice. Best part of that leak... although honestly, the Duck Hunt Dog render was also pretty fantastic. You might hate the character, but I never thought I would see any version of him look so good.

I was also always a fan of Shulk wearing goggles, hopefully he at least has the option on some of his alt costumes.
He probably will. And swimsuit Shulk :p

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
2 handed Shulk would actually be the best version I think... Though yeah,grabs are an issue.

And yeah, as much as I liked Mother 3 I don't mind Lucas' absence. I never played him much.
Why not both 1-hand and 2-hand? 1 hand for light attacks and 2 for strong. The Monado is very light after all

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Why not both 1-hand and 2-hand? 1 hand for light attacks and 2 for strong. The Monado is very light after all
True. could be on his back by default and he just grips it differently depending on the attack.

Actualy that sounds really rad.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
That is one good-looking assist trophy. I'm still leery about the tongue, though. Freaky...

On another note, is Chuggaa back to his old schedule of uploading Xenoblade again?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

calcal

Smash Rookie
I usually lurk, but I've been away for the past 4-5 days. Have I missed any revelations?

Also feel free to add me to the supporter list.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

Hong

The Strongest
I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm, but this is being drastically less and less about Shulk this past day. :/ There are other places on the forums to talk about stages, items, other characters, and leaks. I hate to impede on such an awesome community, but the thread should stay about Shulk, and by extension Xenoblade.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
I'm not gonna lie, 5 modes sounds complicated, but I assume it'll be like Xenoblade's gameplay and i'll get used to it.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
All this talk about swimsuit Shulk make me want Shulk even more, come on Sakurai give us Shulk I know you have him ready I just know.

Ninjendo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninjendo92
What I wouldn't give for a Shulk reveal trailer with Mechanical Rhythm rounding off with Reggie asking if our bodys are ready for Reyn Time...hnnnng

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I usually lurk, but I've been away for the past 4-5 days. Have I missed any revelations?

Also feel free to add me to the supporter list.
Huge 'leak' was revealed, but no idea if it's legit or not. The images are incredibly well-made but there are a lot of inconsistencies. Regardless of where it's legitimate, Shulk's render looks great and everyone loves his luscious hair.

Regardless if it's real or not, we all know that the Monado boy is getting in anyway

In case anyone says Dunban (I doubt anyone would suggest it), Dunban is not a boy :lol:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
BluePikmin is going to have a ton of work to do. One thing is for sure, these leaks certainly are increasing the number of Shulk supporters. There have been a few detractors here but they pretty much got ignored or just left when we showed them the Monado's power.

@ TheFearsomeRyan TheFearsomeRyan Am I the only one that usually reads your name as the fearsome Reyn?

Last edited:

The Monkey King

Smash Rookie
I just imagined a SSE Adventure for SSB4 and Shulk, Robin and Link are all working together in the story as a team of level headed but still badass swordsmen:

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Did Lord Sakurai's Disciple @MASTERLINKX give more insight btw on the Gaur Plain stage besides the day & night cycle due I really want to know if "You will know our names" is the other track on that stage due the Gaur plain theme was a medley of both versions I believe :)

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Did Lord Sakurai's Disciple @MASTERLINKX give more insight btw on the Gaur Plain stage besides the day & night cycle due I really want to know if "You will know our names" is the other track on that stage due the Gaur plain theme was a medley of both versions I believe :)
Someone should make a photoshop of Sakurai as

*SPOILERS*

zanza with a trinity of disciples

No further information has been given about anything.

This was posted in another thread and contains Japanese reactions to the leak. http://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/what-do-japanese-gamers-think-of-the-smash-leak/

The one about Shulk made me crack up:

"こうして見るとシュルクとルフレ紛らわしい

It would be hard to tell Shulk and Robin apart"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom