• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
@continuityOfficer if you want to add onto the conversation and no one has posted after you, please use the edit function instead of making a double post, as it is against the rules. Just a reminder~

Prince of Sable. Personally, I'm glad he's appearing in the game, actually.

Honestly, it makes sense, but I think something with Backstab properties would maybe be a side special or a down special?
By the way, I agree with backstab as a smash. If Shulk does not have a talent gauge gimmick (which he really should) then all his specials should be Monado Arts. "Visions" as a down special are a function of the Monado so that would be okay. If those were his actual specials, his side special should be either Monado Eater or Monado Purge. Purge would be the better choice because it could have some very unique properties in how it interacts with shields and/or specials.

Theotakugirl9

Smash Apprentice
I really want multiple Xenoblade assists. That would be one of the best perks of having Shulk as a playable character... the two best being the stage and music, of course.
I want at least one xenoblade assist if shulk makes it in but if i just get shulk as playable im fine with that too

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Of course what we are all hoping for is a Juju assist that drives into battle in his buggy, crashes it, and then stands around looking sad.
I would pay good money to see that. XD I would probably also die laughing in the middle of battle the first time I saw it, though. I'd completely throw the match trying to breath.

I had a dream last night that Melia was confirmed as an assist trophy, basically confirming Shulk for Smash. Is it a SIGN? (The dream wasn't blue-tinted, so I guess it wasn't a vision...)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The only supporters who have to worry at this point are the retro supporters. Mainly the:

Mike Jones
Lip
Mach Rider
Duck Hunt Dog
Etc

Retro supporters are the ones that are going to be the most worried.

Shulk's only opposition is Sakurai being able to make him work. Of course, as Xenoblade Chronicles Fans we have no trouble, but Sakurai has to see it.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The only supporters who have to worry at this point are the retro supporters. Mainly the:

Mike Jones
Lip
Mach Rider
Duck Hunt Dog
Etc

Retro supporters are the ones that are going to be the most worried.

Shulk's only opposition is Sakurai being able to make him work. Of course, as Xenoblade Chronicles' Fans we have no trouble, but Sakurai has to see it.
If Sakurai saw something in Wii Fit Trainer, villager, C. Falcon etc. then there is no doubt in my mind that he would have no problem with Shulk.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Sakurai saw something in Wii Fit Trainer, villager, C. Falcon etc. then there is no doubt in my mind that he would have no problem with Shulk.
Not just making movesets, but testing them. The Monado Arts have tons of different abilities behind them and putting that in a Chaotic and Frantic game like Smash Brothers would require a ton of testing.

If Sakurai can get the Monado Arts to work in SSB4, then we get Shulk, no questions asked.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I would pay good money to see that. XD I would probably also die laughing in the middle of battle the first time I saw it, though. I'd completely throw the match trying to breath.

I had a dream last night that Melia was confirmed as an assist trophy, basically confirming Shulk for Smash. Is it a SIGN? (The dream wasn't blue-tinted, so I guess it wasn't a vision...)
Visions aren't always blue-tinted, were the colors faded and white around the edges?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, just to lighten things up:

If Nintendo had a Power Rangers type team, what position would Shulk fit?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Shulk-is-waiting.gif

Shulk is currently playing the waiting game.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Out of curiosity, how would you all react if Shulk is not revealed in the August Direct, meaning we'd have to wait until the game comes out to learn whether or not he's in?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Out of curiosity, how would you all react if Shulk is not revealed in the August Direct, meaning we'd have to wait until the game comes out to learn whether or not he's in?
I would get kinda nervous, simply because it would take longer to find out his destiny. It would be so much nicer to just have a trailer confirmation.

D

Deleted member

I'm honestly bracing myself that he might not get confirmed so that disappointment is minimal. I will be a bit concerned if he isn't revealed this month, though.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Eh. I'm confident he's in the game, so it'd just mean more waiting to finally see him with a model that doesn't have egg eyes. If that happens, I just hope he gets a cinematic in-game trailer.

Theotakugirl9

Smash Apprentice
Are they doing the august direct on super smash bros specifically?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
They're doing one on Hyrule Warriors today, and probably a general Direct later this month. They've been revealing newcomers after general Directs. Though a Smash Direct isn't off the table, it isn't needed.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We don't know yet. We just know that there will almost certainly be some Direct with Smash news in it, and probably a newcomer as well.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The current Direct tonight is Hyrule Warriors. Don't expect Shulk.

However, going by traditional ND schedules, we're likely to get at least one more Direct later this month. Smash Direct or General Nintendo Direct are the most likely scenarios.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I am still really :salt:y about this:

How do all of you feel three weeks after it happened?

Dunban

Smash Journeyman

:salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt:
Well to be honest, I was still a bit puzzled at this point since I was near certain that they wouldn't have two newcomers from different franchises in the same trailer. But even still...
:salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Well to be honest, I was still a bit puzzled at this point since I was near certain that they wouldn't have two newcomers from different franchises in the same trailer. But even still...
If he only used ANY other spell I wouldn't have thought it was Shulk, but instead the one that was used was the only one that looks even remotely similar to one of Shulk's arts. Coincidence?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I think you guys have already sort of brought this up

Takamaru and Prince of Sablé were both one game only characters, except for some non-canon appearances of Takamaru.

The characters are known out here, but my guess is since their games are both Japan exclusives that they are more well known in Japan. They both made it in as assist trophies. That being said, by what Smashchu said about what the Japanese are looking for, they come nowhere near the level Shulk is wanted.

Therefore, it's reasonable to say that Shulk will be at least an assist trophy in ssb4. In my mind, this is probably the worst case scenario. However, since Shulk is Japan's #1 most wanted newcomer, and that there is also very large want for him out west, I have a hard time envisioning him placed on the same level as Takamaru and the Prince of Sablé. It only really makes sense that he would be a playable character.

Add in all of the other arguments that have been raised in this thread... the leaks, the four tweets, how well he would work, how he could be unique, how great Xenoblade is, how he's 1st party, how Monolith Soft made Xenoblade (only 1st party without representation in Smash), and how Xenoblade has a sequel, etc, and I have no doubt that Shulk is in.

-

That being said, I wish I could send a message to myself two years ago saying, "Yeah dude, Shulk becomes just as wanted, if not more wanted, as Ridley and K. Rool out west. Also, there are just so many positive things going for Shulk's inclusion right now that democratic vote in a thread on Smashboards rates him at an 84.58% chance of getting into ssb4. Personally, I have no doubt. Oh and you will join Smashboards and spend a lot of time in a Shulk support thread having fun with many other fans of Xenoblade and Shulk."

I used to feel alone with Shulk support, or at least, part of a very small and unorganized group. Xenoblade was this amazing game that nobody knew about, and thanks to GameStop, nobody would. Because of playing Xenoblade, I thought Shulk was deserving of being in SSB4 but didn't think of it as at all likely, because almost nobody knew of the game. Things started to turn around when my oldest brother tried out the game and also fell in love with it and started to support Shulk. Then, I found the Shulk support page on facebook, which started to give me hopes at his inclusion. It was small at first, but my confidence continued to boost with each new like and each new thing came out to support Shulk. I think when Gematsu leaked about Shulk is when the ball really started rolling, and after MonadoMonday and joining this thread, that ball is at its terminal velocity.

-

Oh hey, Solfiner, I just realized that we have main pretty much the same characters! It turns out that for the majority of Brawl I was maining Lucas, who is very similar to your Ness, only going back to maining Link more towards the end. If we both main Shulk in ssb4 then we'd be even more similar.

domokl

Smash Lord
If he only used ANY other spell I wouldn't have thought it was Shulk, but instead the one that was used was the only one that looks even remotely similar to one of Shulk's arts. Coincidence?
probably honestly. i dont think that was a tease as that was the only downard spell used in robins moveset. i still fully believe shulk is in but we dont need to go finding what might be teases to prove it.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman

Takamaru and Prince of Sablé were both one game only characters, except for some non-canon appearances of Takamaru.

The characters are known out here, but my guess is since their games are both Japan exclusives that they are more well known in Japan. They both made it in as assist trophies. That being said, by what Smashchu said about what the Japanese are looking for, they come nowhere near the level Shulk is wanted.

Therefore, it's reasonable to say that Shulk will be at least an assist trophy in ssb4. In my mind, this is probably the worst case scenario. However, since Shulk is Japan's #1 most wanted newcomer, and that there is also very large want for him out west, I have a hard time envisioning him placed on the same level as Takamaru and the Prince of Sablé. It only really makes sense that he would be a playable character.

Add in all of the other arguments that have been raised in this thread... the leaks, the four tweets, how well he would work, how he could be unique, how great Xenoblade is, how he's 1st party, how Monolith Soft made Xenoblade (only 1st party without representation in Smash), and how Xenoblade has a sequel, etc, and I have no doubt that Shulk is in.

-

That being said, I wish I could send a message to myself two years ago saying, "Yeah dude, Shulk becomes just as wanted, if not more wanted, as Ridley and K. Rool out west. Also, there are just so many positive things going for Shulk's inclusion right now that democratic vote in a thread on Smashboards rates him at an 84.58% chance of getting into ssb4. Personally, I have no doubt. Oh and you will join Smashboards and spend a lot of time in a Shulk support thread having fun with many other fans of Xenoblade and Shulk."

I used to feel alone with Shulk support, or at least, part of a very small and unorganized group. Xenoblade was this amazing game that nobody knew about, and thanks to GameStop, nobody would. Because of playing Xenoblade, I thought Shulk was deserving of being in SSB4 but didn't think of it as at all likely, because almost nobody knew of the game. Things started to turn around when my oldest brother tried out the game and also fell in love with it and started to support Shulk. Then, I found the Shulk support page on facebook, which started to give me hopes at his inclusion. It was small at first, but my confidence continued to boost with each new like and each new thing came out to support Shulk. I think when Gematsu leaked about Shulk is when the ball really started rolling, and after MonadoMonday and joining this thread, that ball is at its terminal velocity.

-

Oh hey, Solfiner, I just realized that we have main pretty much the same characters! It turns out that for the majority of Brawl I was maining Lucas, who is very similar to your Ness, only going back to maining Link more towards the end. If we both main Shulk in ssb4 then we'd be even more similar.
Dude, are we the same person?
Day 1 of my experience with Xenoblade I was browsing this thread, although most people were hopeful of his chances to say the least. I know nobody else who has played Xenoblade let alone knew about it before I casually ranted to them about it. And to top it all off I main Lucas :p
So I think it's fair to say that we're in the same boat. In that case i'm sure you share my fear of who to main if we get neither Shulk nor Lucas...

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

I'm still feeling a little :salt:y myself. Like you said, of all the spells of all the elements in Awakening, he just had to use the one that looks like a Monado art. It doesn't even match up with his newcomer tag line (brings the thunder). The element Robin's most noted for using is thunder (one of his/her first weapons in the game is a thunder tome), so why make his first attack a wind spell unless it was meant to mess with us?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

-

-

Dude, are we the same person?
Day 1 of my experience with Xenoblade I was browsing this thread, although most people were hopeful of his chances to say the least. I know nobody else who has played Xenoblade let alone knew about it before I casually ranted to them about it. And to top it all off I main Lucas :p
So I think it's fair to say that we're in the same boat. In that case i'm sure you share my fear of who to main if we get neither Shulk nor Lucas...
All three of us are the same person. Somehow, it just happened.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I'm close to being like you guys. Only difference is I mostly play regular Link in Melee, and I don't really have any one pinned down main for Brawl. :p

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm close to being like you guys. Only difference is I mostly play regular Link in Melee, and I don't really have any one pinned down main for Brawl. :p
I really hope Lucas makes it back in. I noticed a lot of cross over between Mother fans and Xenoblade fans. Maybe it's jut because we are a bunch of JRPG hipsters.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I really hope Lucas makes it back in. I noticed a lot of cross over between Mother fans and Xenoblade fans. Maybe it's jut because we are a bunch of JRPG hipsters.
Lucas appearing in Shulk's trailer would be hype for me- Lucas was my 3rd in Brawl behind Olimar and Pit.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hey guys, just to lighten things up:

If Nintendo had a Power Rangers type team, what position would Shulk fit?
No one actually answered your question? FOR SHAME.

Well, it's hard to say. Honestly if it was a Nintendo Power Rangers team, I'd have the primary rangers be:

Red - Mario
Yellow - DK
Blue - Samus (Zero Suit)
Green - Link (Position can be filled by Luigi and/or Yoshi if Link is incapacitated.)
Pink - Peach
Captain Falcon Colored - Captain Falcon

Additional Rangers who show up throughout the series: (Here's where I'd fit Shulk in this.)

Emblem Ranger: Marth
Pokemon Ranger (lol): Red
Monado Ranger: Shulk
Palutena's Angels Angel Ranger....ick, better names there can be.: Pit
Kirby, Little Mac, etc. could also appear throughout this series.

...And they can fight K. Rool and Ridley and XENOBLADESPOILERBOSS and Black Shadow and Bowser and...now I really want to see this. Yess....

...Now if we're just making the Xenorangers....

Red: Shulk
White: Melia
Black: Dunban
Blue: Sharla
Orange Reynger: Reyn
Heropon: Riki

And the Seventh Ranger is....obvious.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I do love me some Mother. I REALLY love me some Mother. And Xenoblade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom