• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I really wish the leak hasn't killed some of the hype beforehand. The trailer was still awesome, though. We got the chain attack Final Smash we wanted, we got some awesome music, and we even got Shulk in what looks like...a swimsuit?

Also, did I hear Metal Face at the end? Did even that part of our wishes come true?

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
The one thing I can't shake is the lack of Reyn.......
Sharla, Melia, and Fiora I can see just being trophies or whatever, Dunban and Riki are Shulk's final smash (weird pairing btw, not complaining though, they're still the best), but the no Reyn at all really bugs me.....the closest thing we got was "Now it's Shulk time" which as great as that is....it teases at the lack of Reyn even further.

I'm not trying to predict anything.....but I feel like something fishy is going on with Reyn

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Gamexplain talks about Shulk a 'lil bit. Other stuff too, but relevant.

The Flying Brick

Smash Apprentice
Never posted in this thread before, but I almost fangasmed when I saw that trailer. I've always supported Shulk (Him being my second most wanted after K. Rool) and I'm pumped to finally see him officially confirmed. Congrats, guys!

MugiMikey

Smash Rookie
Good to have him (and the leak) confirmed!

Haha, my friend is pretty pissed about Shulk's confirmation. He's claiming he plays just like Marth.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now, I want to take some time to make a long victory speech, so bear with me.

Since this game was revealed, I've always had a hunch that Xenoblade was going to get some representation. I don't know why and I was greatly uninformed, I just had this feeling that we would get the main protagonist from the franchise (who we all know is Shulk). As a result, I started to support Shulk since the beginning; I didn't mention it in the thread when I joined since I didn't know him that much, but I still supported his inclusion. He seemed like he would be a cool character with his awesome blade and he would bring a lot of new content in Smash (and I am always up for that!).

I didn't know what Xenoblade was. I just know that it was an RPG with a lot of demand to be released in the states. When I heard that Shulk was highly demanded for Smash 4, I gained more interest in him and the series. I scoured my local GameStop time and time again just to see if Xenoblade Chronicles was on the shelves. I wasn't losing hope; I knew that I was going to get a copy, I just didn't know when.
Then... my eyes before me... the words "Xenoblade Chronicles" were shown right before me. I was giddy and I immediately bought the game for $70. Did I care about how expensive it was? Hell no! I'm just glad that I got the game. I even opened the casing in my car when I got it. I dunno why... but it felt like a magical experience.

When I finally played it, it was an experience like none other. I loved it since the beginning and I immediately jumped on the Shulk train when I played enough of the game or I got to Gaur Plain. I loved it all. I loved the story, the characters, the music, the graphics, the exploration, the battles, the sidequests, the world and lore of Xenoblade... it was honestly a game that I didn't want to put down. I remember checking the Wii's Daily Activities to see how long I played Xenoblade... I once played Xenoblade for 8 straight hours in one day. When I got near the end, it was a sad moment for me. I knew that it had to end at some point, but I didn't want it to!
Shulk himself is my third favorite video game character of all-time. I related to him at some points in the story.
[collapse=Xenoblade spoilers]That scene where Metal Face killed Fiora really made me sad. Even to this day, it still does. I understand Shulk's pain and frustration when that happened... but explaining that would be a bit too personal for me. I just understand his sadness and rage over losing a friend close to him.
What solidified Shulk for me as one of my favorite characters was the scene where he defended Mumkhar from getting killed by Dunban. It was powerful scene for me and it led to amazing character development for Shulk. Yes, he is angry at Mumkhar for killing Fiora, but he didn't want to take his life away because he was a person just like all of us.
I cheered for Shulk when he finally kissed Fiora and I felt incredibly sorry for him when he was betrayed by D**kson and I was glad to see him ultimately triumph against the god Zanza.[/collapse]
What also made Shulk an amazing character to me was his personality. He wasn't some generic rough and tough hero. He is a character who knows his limits and he knows that he wouldn't have made it far without his friends. He is a smart individual who doesn't like to go in guns blazing; he thinks his battles through and he strikes when necessary, despite having a lack of experience.

I was always confident in him, but I knew the pieces were really coming together when we saw the retweets, Robin's Nosferatu being similar to Back Slash in terms of one of its mechanics, the Monado pic, Xenoblade becoming an official Nintendo franchise, seeing obscure games like Captain Rainbow get representation and not Xenoblade... it all made sense that Shulk was likely going to happen.
While I was confident, you guys helped me give me hope where I thought a character that was extremely likely to get in is possibly near shoo-in status. We've had our shares of ups and downs as supporters, but we stayed together near the very end. We didn't let the #MonadoMonday hype just simply die, we pressed on and on and on until Shulk finally got his grand reveal.

All I can say is thank you guys for sticking with Shulk and thank you Sakurai for including such a fantastic character from a wonderful game. This truly was a victory... our Vision has come true. Shulk is in Smash 4! I still can't believe it!

That's all I wanted to say. :)
Here's some music for reading it all:

Last edited by a moderator:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I am underwhelmed...

Because there are no signs of Reyn, Fiora, Melia or Sharla!!
I think Reyn will be an assist, and maybe a variation of a Final Smash will have Melia and Sharla.
But where does Fiora fit... Hmmm.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I need to play Xenoblade! I bought the game before, but I never started it. Happy Foreseeable Friday guys!

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
A question, do we know if Gaur Plains is a scrolling stage or not? The trailer made it seem scrolling but I think it was just some camera thing or something. I hope it is not.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
Only downside to the trailer, upon closer inspection, is that I think Guar Plains is going to be this games Rumble Falls...well, at least there'll be a Final Destination version.
Nooo! I didn't notice that, it looked pretty stationary to me. If that's the case I'm going to be a little disappointed. I already am not completely on board with Metal Face as a boss character.

thecharizardf8

Smash Cadet
honestly leak or not I was still surprised and hype
also: my mains for smash 4: Shulk Shulk Shulk Shulk Shulk Charizard Shulk Greninja Shulk Shulk :D

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
here's the highlights of that reveal at least to me
1. Shulk's in
2. Dat remixes
3. Team Bowser blasting off again
4. Shulk Time
5. dat OP counter of his holy ****
6. Riki confirmed as a AT/Final smash
7. Dunban in HD with Riki in shulk's final smash
8. Metal Face confirmed as a boss in some form
9. Fanservice Shulk AKA Underwear Shulk confirmed as a Alt

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
I was expecting a Shulk + ROB reveal, but I wasn't disappointed in the end.
His Monado stances looks like an interesting mechanic.

Also I hope Melia is an Assist.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Maybe because he's a one shot character, or a JRPG character?
Either way, I didn't like that, it pretty much sounds like he's a guest, and this will be his only appearance.
We better make the most of it.
nah I think Shulk's gonna become the Marth of the Xeno games since it clearly shows Nintendo wants to expend the xeno games with the xenoblade port and X

ShadowShuriken

Smash Cadet
Who ever called Shulk a clone should definitely re-think, Shulk is freken awesome, he's unique, with an awesome final smash. Nintendo I praise you. However we need ISAAC and a early release date for the new 3DS model

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Now, I want to take some time to make a long victory speech, so bear with me.

Since this game was revealed, I've always had a hunch that Xenoblade was going to get some representation. I don't know why and I was greatly uninformed, I just had this feeling that we would get the main protagonist from the franchise (who we all know is Shulk). As a result, I started to support Shulk since the beginning; I didn't mention it in the thread when I joined since I didn't know him that much, but I still supported his inclusion. He seemed like he would be a cool character with his awesome blade and he would bring a lot of new content in Smash (and I am always up for that!).

I didn't know what Xenoblade was. I just know that it was an RPG with a lot of demand to be released in the states. When I heard that Shulk was highly demanded for Smash 4, I gained more interest in him and the series. I scoured my local GameStop time and time again just to see if Xenoblade Chronicles was on the shelves. I wasn't losing hope; I knew that I was going to get a copy, I just didn't know when.
Then... my eyes before me... the words "Xenoblade Chronicles" were shown right before me. I was giddy and I immediately bought the game for $70. Did I care about how expensive it was? Hell no! I'm just glad that I got the game. I even opened the casing in my car when I got it. I dunno why... but it felt like a magical experience.

When I finally played it, it was an experience like none other. I loved it since the beginning and I immediately jumped on the Shulk train when I played enough of the game or I got to Gaur Plain. I loved it all. I loved the story, the characters, the music, the graphics, the exploration, the battles, the sidequests, the world and lore of Xenoblade... it was honestly a game that I didn't want to put down. I remember checking the Wii's Daily Activities to see how long I played Xenoblade... I once played Xenoblade for 8 straight hours in one day. When I got near the end, it was a sad moment for me. I knew that it had to end at some point, but I didn't want it to!
Shulk himself is my third favorite video game character of all-time. I related to him at some points in the story.
[collapse=Xenoblade spoilers]That scene where Metal Face killed Fiora really made me sad. Even to this day, it still does. I understand Shulk's pain and frustration when that happened... but explaining that would be a bit too personal for me. I just understand his sadness and rage over losing a friend close to him.
What solidified Shulk for me as one of my favorite characters was the scene where he defended Mumkhar from getting killed by Dunban. It was powerful scene for me and it led to amazing character development for Shulk. Yes, he is angry at Mumkhar for killing Fiora, but he didn't want to take his life away because he was a person just like all of us.
I cheered for Shulk when he finally kissed Fiora and I felt incredibly sorry for him when he was betrayed by D**kson and I was glad to see him ultimately triumph against the god Zanza.[/collapse]
What also made Shulk an amazing character to me was his personality. He wasn't some generic rough and tough hero. He is a character who knows his limits and he knows that he wouldn't have made it far without his friends. He is a smart individual who doesn't like to go in guns blazing; he thinks his battles through and he strikes when necessary, despite having a lack of experience.

I was always confident in him, but I knew the pieces were really coming together when we saw the retweets, Robin's Nosferatu being similar to Back Slash in terms of one of its mechanics, the Monado pic, Xenoblade becoming an official Nintendo franchise, seeing obscure games like Captain Rainbow get representation and not Xenoblade... it all made sense that Shulk was likely going to happen.
While I was confident, you guys helped me give me hope where I thought a character that was extremely likely to get in is possibly near shoo-in status. We've had our shares of ups and downs as supporters, but we stayed together near the very end. We didn't let the #MonadoMonday hype just simply die, we pressed on and on and on until Shulk finally got his grand reveal.

All I can say is thank you guys for sticking with Shulk and thank you Sakurai for including such a fantastic character from a wonderful game. This truly was a victory... our Vision has come true. Shulk is in Smash 4! I still can't believe it!

That's all I wanted to say. :)
Here's some music for reading it all:

Fantastic speech.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
@ SmashChu SmashChu
I changed the thread title to signify that this is the general discussion/social thread to prevent future overlap. Feel free to change it to wording more of your liking.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
SHUUUUUUUUULK!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!!! UGH I'M JUST MAD I DIDN'T WATCH THE DIRECT BUT SHULK!!!!!! YAY!!!!

thecharizardf8

Smash Cadet
I find it ironic people said shulk is a clone of marth and link yet in the trailer shulk was fighting marth and link at the same time...

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I...I'm confused.

Why are there two Robins in the game?

JUST KIDDING HOLY MEYNETH IT'S SHULK TIME BABY

thecharizardf8

Smash Cadet
I just hope shulk's final smash isn't just riki and dunban I hope its a combination of al the characters like random combinations like melia shulk riki, melia shulk dunban etc and so on lol I feel it would be very unique that way :D

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
"Now it's Shulk time!"

Yeah, I don't think we need to worry about a Reyn AT.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
YES!!! Not only was Shulk announced for Smash, but there will be a portable version of Xenoblade along with a new 3DS that has a better CPU and two sticks built in!

Obviously since Smash 4 is coming to America, Shulk in Smash is the best one

Hong

The Strongest
Shulk has my favourite fighting stance.

Having the weapon on a character's back when not in use allows for a bit of freedom for the animators. I'd imagine he can use both of his hands for grabbing his opponents.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
This character was one of my most anticipated. Although the leak killed a bit of the trailer hype for me, it was still awesome to see him in action. He plays a lot better than the video leaks led me to believe.

Plus my two favorite tracks from the game are remixed.

Cheers Shulk fans.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Shulk has my favourite fighting stance.

Having the weapon on a character's back when not in use allows for a bit of freedom for the animators. I'd imagine he can use both of his hands for grabbing his opponents.
His running animation and his jump animations are perfect.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Been away from the internet all day.

*deep breath*

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see Riki and Dunban too. Gaur Plains looks gorgeous and hurrah for a Metal Face appearance.

It's more or less turned out exactly as well as I'd hoped. :D

thecharizardf8

Smash Cadet
im not deep breathing. Im freaking sobbing and deep breathing with more happiness than going to Disney world for the first time 8 years.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Guys, I...I'm confused.

Why are there two Robins in the game?

JUST KIDDING HOLY MEYNETH IT'S SHULK TIME BABY

Honestly, I have to say that, at the present moment...

I'm hyped.

These trains won't crash. THEY'LL SMASH!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Honestly, I have to say that, at the present moment...

I'm hyped.

These trains won't crash. THEY'LL SMASH!
Perfect moment to use these two. My good ol' Monado Monday GIF's live on. :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom