• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
well the hyrule direct is coming up don't think we'll get shulk here but ya never know ^_^

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
well the hyrule direct is coming up don't think we'll get shulk here but ya never know ^_^
Hmmm... Monolith Soft helped in the development of the previous two main-series Zelda games, and lets face it, if that teaser of Zelda Wii U's overworld is anything to go by, they're even more involved this time around...

SHULK CONFIRMED FOR HYRULE WARRIORS!!!

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I owe this thread an apology. Some of you may have heard I made a nasty comment about Shulk fans at the K. Rool thread. I take back what I said, and I'm sorry.

I truly am a Shulk supporter as well, I just got too cynical and spoke out of turn. So no hard feelings right?
No hard feelings, I'm just glade that it's all over, like everyone said a bronado is always a bronado.

Ha. Did you guys ever refuse to use an armor set simply because you found it to be ugly, despite it being better than the armor you had on? I feel like I might be in the minority with that one.
I can't use the armor just too ugly, sorry Shulk but my eyes are more important than your safety.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I can't use the armor just too ugly, sorry Shulk but my eyes are more important than your safety.
I love ruining serious emotional scenes because Sharla has a pineapple on her head or Dunban has the world's heaviest helmet and pants on but no shirt. :p

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I love ruining serious emotional scenes because Sharla has a pineapple on her head or Dunban has the world's heaviest helmet and pants on but no shirt. :p
I literally couldn't follow the story when Riki joined my party, because Reyn had a goddamn native American Chief headdress on in all of the cutscenes.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I literally couldn't follow the story when Riki joined my party, because Reyn had a goddamn native American Chief headdress on in all of the cutscenes.
None of my friends could take Melia seriously during the scene where everything happens because she was wearing glasses. We kept joking she was Thelma.
Melia: Jinkies!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I never had an issue with most of the armors... except for the mechon armors I think.

Like this! Shulk looks like some sort of female mechon or something... except for that huge bulge at the crotch.

To be fair though, I usually kept most characters to the lighter armors except for Reyn, Sharla, and Riki. Dunban was usually nude, so I never even knew about that mechanical grasshopper armor that was posted a couple pages back.

Glory gear ftw, I hope I see that in ssb4

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I never had an issue with most of the armors... except for the mechon armors I think.

Like this! Shulk looks like some sort of female mechon or something... except for that huge bulge at the crotch.

To be fair though, I usually kept most characters to the lighter armors except for Reyn, Sharla, and Riki. Dunban was usually nude, so I never even knew about that mechanical grasshopper armor that was posted a couple pages back.

No joke, I first saw a pic of Dunban's heavy armor just after recruiting Fiora. I saw it without context, so my reaction was basically "OH MY GOD THEY TURN DUNBAN INTO A MECHON TOO!?!?"

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Well, no newcomer, but did anyone REALLY expect there to be one. It was a Hyrule Warriors direct after all. Not to go off topic but oh my Bionis does Ganondorf look based in Hyrule Warriors. If that look and playstyle doesn't make it into Smash I'll be very disappointed.

I hate the heavy armor. It makes the characters look so goofy and really only Reyn (and I think Riki) benefit from it. I still want the jungle armor (can't remember the name) as an alt. But that's probably because I love Makna Forest so much. Plus a guy wearing primitive clothes swinging a futuristic sword clashes in all the right ways.

50 likes on the OP.

350 pages.

Over 300 members on the support list (I think).

...If Shulk' s not in, I'm gonna tear my hair out.
Well I got good news for you.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
None of my friends could take Melia seriously during the scene where everything happens because she was wearing glasses. We kept joking she was Thelma.
Melia: Jinkies!
Melia in Sleek Oil and glasses is my favorite armor set in the game. You do realize I'll have to hurt you now, right?

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

Them be fightin' words.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Uh, I just thought of something. The Monado is a two handed weapon, so how is Shulk going to grab item? Also, what's going to happen when he grabs a beam sword?
Shulk both two hands and one hands it. In that cutscene where he first picks it up he was one handing it, but I think as he got better he began to alternate between one handing and two handing.

So with the beam sword I think he would one hand that and at the same time one hand his Monado with the other hand. Two handing is pretty uncommon anyways, everyone seems to one hand it in Smash Bros.

Perhaps during some moves he would use two hands and on others one hand, kind of like how he seems to alternate when you see him swinging his activated Monado around in the game.
-I definitely think that when Shulk is in the air his moves will be one handed. Using two would just be a little too awkward then.
(hehe)

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
After reading about Nintendo's subsidiaries and affiliates, I noticed that only one game development oriented subsidiary has no direct attachment to a playable character: Monolith Soft. Probably just because it is the most recent, but not recent enough to be overlooked back when Sakurai decided the roster. All other studios and subsidiaries have fully developed at least one game with a playable character in Smash.

I think that we can all agree that if any studio deserves some playable love, it's Monolith Soft.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
After reading about Nintendo's subsidiaries and affiliates, I noticed that only one game development oriented subsidiary has no direct attachment to a playable character: Monolith Soft. Probably just because it is the most recent, but not recent enough to be overlooked back when Sakurai decided the roster. All other studios and subsidiaries have fully developed at least one game with a playable character in Smash.

I think that we can all agree that if any studio deserves some playable love, it's Monolith Soft.
That's why we get Kogoro from Project X Zone, right?:troll:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann

I was going to bring up Retro Studios, but I guess they don't count since they've never made a original IP. Plus I guess you could say Donkey Kong and Samus kind of count. But yeah good find, another reason to believe Shulk will be in the game.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Two weeks away from True Monado Tuesday... but I can still keep my fingers metaphorically crossed for his reveal tonight!

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion

They have to get something and Shulk is the logical option.

Two weeks away from True Monado Tuesday... but I can still keep my fingers metaphorically crossed for his reveal tonight!
Whats in two weeks?

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
The 19th, the European Anniversary for Xenoblade.

Here's hoping!
tbh, something about August tells me Ridley would be revealed then. Especially the 20th, being the anniversary of not only Metroid as a whole but also the anniversary of Sakurai teasing Ridley. But I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I can't stand it when some people think that we only support and want Shulk because of the second Gematsu leak. It makes me really :salt:y actually, since most people here have wanted and supported Shulk WAY before that leak.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I can't stand it when some people think that we only support and want Shulk because of the second Gematsu leak. It makes me really :salt:y actually, since most people here have wanted and supported Shulk WAY before that leak.
I'll admit I found out about him thanks to Gematsu. But I'm just one of many supporters who have all found out about Shulk in their own way. Gematsu didn't create Shulk's popularity. Maybe gave it a tiny boost, but it didn't start it. Kinda like fuel on an already growing flame :p

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'll admit I found out about him thanks to Gematsu. But I'm just one of many supporters who have all found out about Shulk in their own way. Gematsu didn't create Shulk's popularity. Maybe gave it a tiny boost, but it didn't start it. Kinda like fuel on an already growing flame :p
Yeah, exactly. I love how Gematsu helped Shulk's popularity, but it didn't start it, like with the Chorus men. I myself found out about Shulk kinda late compared to some people here, a little before E3 2013 I think it was.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Yeah, exactly. I love how Gematsu helped Shulk's popularity, but it didn't start it, like with the Chorus men. I myself found out about Shulk kinda late compared to some people here, a little before E3 2013 I think it was.
I only found out about him a couple months ago, right after E3 2014, iirc. Heard about Gematsu, found the thread, saw Shulk's name, and found this thread to learn more. And look where I am now :p

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
As much as I hate the Gematsu leak, at least it helped Shulk's popularity.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
As much as I hate the Gematsu leak, at least it helped Shulk's popularity.
I never took issue with it, especially since it never claimed that it was listing the only newcomers. But it being proven inaccurate doesn't affect me much either. Doesn't hurt Shulk, and I kinda like Robin.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The only people who think that the Robin reveal hurt Shulk's chances are non-Shulk supporters basically. Kinda ironic when you think about it, considering how salty some threads get whenever they think something hurts their characters.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I never took issue with it, especially since it never claimed that it was listing the only newcomers. But it being proven inaccurate doesn't affect me much either. Doesn't hurt Shulk, and I kinda like Robin.
I It made talking about newcomers pretty painful though because everyone assumed that the Gematsu 3 were the only possibilities left; meaning it basically killed all speculation.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I It made talking about newcomers pretty painful though because everyone assumed that the Gematsu 3 were the only possibilities left; meaning it basically killed all speculation.
Since Skull kid was confirmed an AT, and Masked man was extremely unlikely to begin with I didn't have much to discuss anyway. Therefore the rest of the forum could share my butthurt for all I cared. :troll:

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I agree with this so much. I knew about Xenoblade before Christmas of 2013, as i was shopping with a friend for presents and we went to a Gamestop where i said, "Mark my words, for Smash Bros, we're getting Little Mac from this and Shulk from this," while picking up their boxes. I didn't buy Xenoblade itself until BluePikmin told me if i truly supported Shulk, i'd play the game. Little did he know, i'm a sucker for a challenge. Bought it back in i believe January and beat it before E3 this year. Gematsu didn't leak Shulk when i took the leap of faith to buy Xenoblade. Not that i regret i did, because i sure as hell don't (Reyn will forever be ingrained in my mind). I guess I just wish people were as dedicated to standing for and supporting something as I am, instead of being bandwagoners.
Not that i've never bandwagoned, because at some point in our lives, we've probably all done it. I just mean for this because of the leak and how people are supporting him now that they think he's a shoo-in

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
tbh, something about August tells me Ridley would be revealed then. Especially the 20th, being the anniversary of not only Metroid as a whole but also the anniversary of Sakurai teasing Ridley. But I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
I've been thinking that a Shulk/Ridley joint reveal would make a lot of sense as they want any and all trailers that are shown this close to launch to be super hype, and Ridley isn't that huge in Japan but Shulk is (compared to Ridley at least.) They both come from Sci-Fi heavy series, too, so I think it could work stylistically.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking since Shulk and Ridley are the only two newcomers that I REALLY care about. Yeah, Isaac and K. Rool would be awesome, but I NEED Shulk and Ridley.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I've been thinking that a Shulk/Ridley joint reveal would make a lot of sense as they want any and all trailers that are shown this close to launch to be super hype, and Ridley isn't that huge in Japan but Shulk is (compared to Ridley at least.) They both come from Sci-Fi heavy series, too, so I think it could work stylistically.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking since Shulk and Ridley are the only two newcomers that I REALLY care about. Yeah, Isaac and K. Rool would be awesome, but I NEED Shulk and Ridley.
As long as I get Shulk, I will be satisfied for a lifetime personally.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the topic of the beam sword, wouldn't the fact that it's now red instead of blue kinda soft-confirm Shulk? That was the first thing I thought in the April Direct when they showed off the beam sword (pretty sure it was there I saw it)

And call me crazy but I'm having a hope for the 2nd Nintendo direct this month to be Smash Direct 2: Going Out With A Bang, with maybe two newcomer trailers:
one for Marshal with a Wario vet reveal, the second and last being an epic Shulk trailer with a surprise Fiora it would be just PERFECT. it'd be an effective way of showing off all the newcomers before release too

As for the two handed thing, I'm sure some attacks would have him only use one hand, as well as when he grabs a ledge.

I'll post more properly when I get home, I'm at work and mobile typing is annoying.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
So, anybody see that Ganondorf Hyrule Warriors reveal? Look at the glorious hair.

You see, if they can make a DW Zelda game with the most glorious hair on the planet, then Shulk in Smash can't be too hard, right? Right?!

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
So, anybody see that Ganondorf Hyrule Warriors reveal? Look at the glorious hair.

You see, if they can make a DW Zelda game with the most glorious hair on the planet, then Shulk in Smash can't be too hard, right? Right?!
Oh, Ganondorf, your glorious mane is an inspiration to Dunbans, Fioras, and Sharlas everywhere.

Is it just me or would a DW/Xenoblade game be pretty sweet.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
On the topic of the beam sword, wouldn't the fact that it's now red instead of blue kinda soft-confirm Shulk? That was the first thing I thought in the April Direct when they showed off the beam sword (pretty sure it was there I saw it).
Well it could be just a throwback to Melee & 64, but yeah that is some great thoughtwork

Regarding Fiora I would not be surprised if she would be playable, due if Awakening can get 2 playable reps due they had a very vocal fanbase on their own, Xenoblade fans perhaps are also maybe in for a threat

Can contain Major Major Xenoblade Spoilers
Fiora in her Face armour also screams customisable moveset potential due her Drones & it is something Sakurai would do imo to recreate that Robin effect from last time.
It would be cool if Shulk first gets showed with his moveset, gets beaten down like Mega Man by the rest of the cast...but then Fiora revives her & both unleash hell on the "One's who got in Shulk's way" similair to the scene when you face D*ckson in his giant form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom