• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Oo tyvm, I read this now.

Oo! Ether is still a thing! "ether resistance," "ether shot (an attack)," "ether bubble." This supports my theory!
I would like to point out that "ether" has been an present in all Xeno games in some form or another. The use of the term ether doesn't necessarily mean it's a continuation of Xenoblade's universe (assuming that's the theory you're talking about).

Ether as used in Xenosaga.

Ether featured on a list of Xenogears related terms.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I would like to point out that "ether" has been an present in all Xeno games in some form or another. The use of the term ether doesn't necessarily mean it's a continuation of Xenoblade's universe (assuming that's the theory you're talking about).
That's part of my theory but not where I make the connection.

The thing is, this game starts off from Earth, where as we know, ether (in the way it is referred to here) does not exist. Yet, it exists on this planet, Mira. Why? Hello, Xenoblade.

It's to my understanding that Xenosaga takes place thousands of years after humanity leaves Earth. As we can see, X is when humanity leaves Earth. Idk enough about Xenogears to fit it onto here... even futher in the future maybe?

Xenoblade would be the beginning of the universe. Mira is what Bionis/Mechonis sunk into. That could be why ether is present, and how ether got introduced to the Xenoseries universe, which actually happens to be our universe.
-
what do you think shulks grabs will be? i've been trying to come up with something, and I have nothing special I can think of.
I don't think grabs really have to be unique.

edit: Also, I really can't think of anything either

Last edited:

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
That's part of my theory but not where I make the connection.

The thing is, this game starts off from Earth, where as we know, ether (in the way it is referred to here) does not exist. Yet, it exists on this planet, Mira. Why? Hello, Xenoblade.

It's to my understanding that Xenosaga takes place thousands of years after humanity leaves Earth. As we can see, X is when humanity leaves Earth. Idk enough about Xenogears to fit it onto here... even futher in the future maybe?

Xenoblade would be the beginning of the universe. Mira is what Bionis/Mechonis sunk into. That could be why ether is present, and how ether got introduced to the Xenoseries universe, which actually happens to be our universe.
-

I don't think grabs really have to be unique.

edit: Also, I really can't think of anything either
Actually, that's pretty close to a theory of mine. Save all the detail, 'cuz, y'know, I know jack squat about the rest of the Xenoseries.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Would nintendo be able to put the rest of the Xeno games on the virtual console?
All the previous ones were on Playstation, and were published by either Square (Xenogears) or Namco (Xenosaga). There was a port of Xenosaga Episodes I + II for the DS around 2006 i believe, but it never left Japan.

D

Deleted member

Would nintendo be able to put the rest of the Xeno games on the virtual console?
I dunno. Some Xeno games are on the PlayStation, so I think that Nintendo would have a tough time trying to port them on the Wii U's Virtual Console and trying to get the rights to that game. They could remake those games if they wanted to.
EDIT: Actually, they can't if Square owns Xenogears. Other Xeno games will require Namco's permission, I bet.
I guess the only Xeno franchise Nintendo owns is Xenoblade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
No. For obvious reasons, the Wii U does not have any Play Station emulators which would be necessary for those games to be added to the virtual console. Secondly, Nintendo does not own the rights to Xenogears or Xenosaga, so any releases would be up to Square Enix and Namco Bandai to decide.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Y'Know the prospect of a Xenoblade character in Smash is looking good when fake leaks are now including a 2nd Xenoblade character.
I know some people would riot if Metroid and DK still had two reps and Xenoblade also had 2, but I would love for Fiora to be a character. Yes Melia is still best girl, but Fiora would be a pretty unique character. I'd imagine her playing similar to Nu 12 from BlazBlue. We need Robot Waifus in Smash. If BlazBlue and Persona can get it right than so can Smash...it aint gonna happen though

I actually think it would be better not to put Xenogears and Xenosaga on the eShop. It'd be better to not cause any brand confusion.

So, I just thought of something. In Brawl there were music from series not represented in stages. Like Golden Sun music in a Metroid stage or 1080 music in a F-Zero stage. What I ask to you all is what music from a non Xenoblade Nintendo IP would fit in a Xenoblade stage. Hard mode: nothing from Monolith Soft.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Y'Know the prospect of a Xenoblade character in Smash is looking good when fake leaks are now including a 2nd Xenoblade character.
I know some people would riot if Metroid and DK still had two reps and Xenoblade also had 2, but I would love for Fiora to be a character. Yes Melia is still best girl, but Fiora would be a pretty unique character. I'd imagine her playing similar to Nu 12 from BlazBlue. We need Robot Waifus in Smash. If BlazBlue and Persona can get it right than so can Smash...it aint gonna happen though

I actually think it would be better not to put Xenogears and Xenosaga on the eShop. It'd be better to not cause any brand confusion.

So, I just thought of something. In Brawl there were music from series not represented in stages. Like Golden Sun music in a Metroid stage or 1080 music in a F-Zero stage. What I ask to you all is what music from a non Xenoblade Nintendo IP would fit in a Xenoblade stage. Hard mode: nothing from Monolith Soft.
Well, they could use music from The Last Story and Pandora's Tower, because symbolism.
Then of course, there's always Golden Sun music. :troll:

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793

Fire Emblem Awakening Music.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Umm... I had a solid idea for a Shulk AT... but I'm not going to post it. Yeah.

Oo, here's a new/random stage idea. You know how there's that one circular platform in sword valley? You know,
Where the team fights the faced mechon
You know, and the faced mechon dies by being impaled and then falling to his death
Stage hazard could be faced mechon

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Oo, here's a new/random stage idea. You know how there's that one circular platform in sword valley? You know,
You know, and the faced mechon dies by being impaled and then falling to his death
Honestly that could be a pretty great place for a stage, but I'm a bit disappointed that you aren't referring to Metal Face by his proper name.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion

Sword Valley all the way man. Hell,
maybe it falls
if you defeat metal face, and then maybe you move to
the fallen hand

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Robot waifus errywhere. I think a Nu-12 style could work, but only under Sword Drones. Unless you just want to have the projectiles as ether blasts or something. Maybe she could have one button change the equipped Drones which in turn change non-recovery specials? That's moving into stance-change territory though.

Music would be highly dependent on the stage. I think The Last Story music actually would fit well. I'm not so sure about Pandora's Tower, personally. Plus I'm not 100% sure how Nintendo goes with rights to those, since *all* of PT's music is adaptations of things composed by people like Giuseppe Verde and Franz Liszt.

I don't know a whole lot of Nintendo games that aren't repped in Smash already. If the stage is Sword Valley, I think a version of The Rolling Western Theme (or an arrangement of,) from Dillon's Rolling Western could work well. I can't think of anything in particular, but I think some of Advance Wars' rock-styled music could fit in Xenoblade's universe. Is there anything from, I dunno... Freakyforms or Tomodachi Life that'd suit?

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Robot waifus errywhere. I think a Nu-12 style could work, but only under Sword Drones. Unless you just want to have the projectiles as ether blasts or something. Maybe she could have one button change the equipped Drones which in turn change non-recovery specials? That's moving into stance-change territory though.

Music would be highly dependent on the stage. I think The Last Story music actually would fit well. I'm not so sure about Pandora's Tower, personally. Plus I'm not 100% sure how Nintendo goes with rights to those, since *all* of PT's music is adaptations of things composed by people like Giuseppe Verde and Franz Liszt.

I don't know a whole lot of Nintendo games that aren't repped in Smash already. If the stage is Sword Valley, I think a version of The Rolling Western Theme (or an arrangement of,) from Dillon's Rolling Western could work well. I can't think of anything in particular, but I think some of Advance Wars' rock-styled music could fit in Xenoblade's universe. Is there anything from, I dunno... Freakyforms or Tomodachi Life that'd suit?
I believe Verdi and Liszt are both public domain, meaning Nintendo could use their music however they damn well please and no one can say a thing about it.

Last edited:

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
Random idea!

I believe that in melee,I think, there was a trophy of one K. K. Slider, from animal crossing,a game yet to come out. It was basically a foreshadow trophy. So, my thought is that maybe they'll do something like that again, only maybe a chronicles x trophy. Perhaps it could foreshadow an important character and help from up hype for the game, or, at least,even more than there currently is.

I dunno, random 3:20 at night thought. I'm going to bed.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Random idea!

I believe that in melee,I think, there was a trophy of one K. K. Slider, from animal crossing,a game yet to come out. It was basically a foreshadow trophy. So, my thought is that maybe they'll do something like that again, only maybe a chronicles x trophy. Perhaps it could foreshadow an important character and help from up hype for the game, or, at least,even more than there currently is.

I think that considering Animal Crossing was basically Nintendo's big new franchise, its probably more likely to be Splatoon.
But we also do have to consider that Xenoblade Chronicles X was GOING to come out about the same time as Smash BRos for Wii U, and also notably, its confirmed that the two games will have different trophies.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
...Everyone makes mistakes. There's actually a surprising amount of things you can miss in Xenoblade. Like when I freaking missed the place in Satorl Marsh with the Gogols.
wait, the where and who and whatnow? Gogols in Satorl Marsh o-o?

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Random idea!

I mean, seriously, we had Roy, which wasn't out in any country at the time. So I don't think it's too un-realistic to see someone from XCX as a trophy. But if you mean a character that hasn't been even shown off yet, idk.(Not sure if Roy was public knowledge(Small) or not prior to Melee releasing.)

Last edited:

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
Random idea!

You have to keep in mind however, Animal Forest had already been released for the N64 in Japan when Melee was released.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
That's a great question and topic of conversation regarding the music. I wonder if they would use something from The Last Story since they're both well known JRPGS and had the whole Operation Rainfall thing going for them. Xenoblade is of course much bigger though.

Some of my Last Story song picks:

The One Ruling Everything (Last Battle)

Battle! General Trista

Invitation to Madness - Would probably fit best on a boat or water stage

And the beautiful song that no one wants to play Smash with it playing, but its in the game for some reason...
Toberu Mono

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I found this on Gamefaqs and brought it up on the Leaks thread, and so far, people seem to agree its pretty reasonable, and it mentions Shulk, so I'll put it here aswell:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69772248
I work as a tester for the English version of Smash Brothers for 3DS, but recently I have had to quit due to school getting ahead of me, and me needed to catch up. None the less I figure I might as well leak what I can, as anonymously as possible. The perfect thing about this site is that it kind of blends in. It is however very awkward, and I'm not sure I should do this, but I think I will anyway.

The developers where probably smart in only giving testers the portions of the game they want you to test. Some people act as specifically balance testers, but those people are honestly better at the game then me, and they get looks at the full mechanics of battle mode. I was more of an odd job tester, I'm doing IT, and I felt this would be a good way for me to get better at noticing bugs in games I wanted to make. Anyway, they give me bits of the game (usually very small) and I make sure there's nothing buggy that they missed.

I had to give back all my versions of the game, so I am working off of memory here, so please forgive me if I can't get too detailed or I get something a little off.

-There is a trophy of the Inking (Splatoon)

-The Double Cherry was a tested Item early on, but was taken away early once someone tried to to double an Pikmin and Olimar. You where only able to have 1 out on the field at a time (so only 1 person could double), but when doubling olimar it had to many things on screen to run well at the same time, when you faced against 3 other olimars and one of the more complex assist trophies.

-Ice Climbers returns: their grabs seemed to be better then ever, with fantastic range. but also, they seem to be a little weaker in all other aspects. It's also important to note that de syncing seems to be a little harder.

-Shulk is a newcomer: please forgive me, since I haven't played the game (I've been planning to over the holidays), but his neutral special makes his sword really big, his down special is basically counter, but it stuns to opponent temporarily, instead of you hitting them automatically. His recovery isn't fantastic, but it makes people trip if you hit them from the ground, it also has really good range from the ground. Also, his side smash does a HUGE amount of damage when you hit an opponent from behind. Seriously though, if you counter someone, you can hit them from behind and it HURTS.

-Robins customizable moves focus mainly on how many times you can use his books

-Lucina and Marth have custom moves that focus on their type of sword play specifically. For example, one of Lucina's neutral B customs has a lot longer total range, while Marths Neutral B custom increases increases the size of the tip temporarily,

--Links neutral B customs are Fire Arrow and Ice Arrow

-Ridley is in fact a newcomer: He's basically the opposite of Little Mac is the best way I think to put it. He has really good air time, and has fantastic aerial moves. His side special is a grab type move where he zooms forward and grabs someone. his neutral special is a breath attack thing.

-There are new things, similar to the codec calls in brawl. specifically the ability to talk with Hades and Varidi about characters you're facing.

-Event Matches are back, and they seem more like Melee then Brawl. There is actually an event to represent each character reveal trailer.

-Wario is also returning, although I've honestly never been able to get the hang of him.

-I'm sure theirs somethings if forgetting, and I'll comment those things if I remember them.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
That's a great question and topic of conversation regarding the music. I wonder if they would use something from The Last Story since they're both well known JRPGS and had the whole Operation Rainfall thing going for them. Xenoblade is of course much bigger though.

Some of my Last Story song picks:

The One Ruling Everything (Last Battle)

Battle! General Trista

Invitation to Madness - Would probably fit best on a boat or water stage

And the beautiful song that no one wants to play Smash with it playing, but its in the game for some reason...
Toberu Mono
Can they even use Last Story music? I thought a 3rd party studio made it?

On that note, could they use Pandora's Tower music on a Xenoblade stage?

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
I found this on Gamefaqs and brought it up on the Leaks thread, and so far, people seem to agree its pretty reasonable, and it mentions Shulk, so I'll put it here aswell:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69772248
This is interesting... heck it even sounds believable! And best of all, Shulk's playstyle sounds exactly how I would've expected Sakurai to handle it. I'm content :3

"his neutral special makes his sword really big" - This sounds like Monado Buster but there isn't a whole lot of information on it... Is there no attack? Does the sword just get bigger? Who knows...

"his down special is basically counter, but it stuns to opponent temporarily" - Well I imagine this is how his visions are going to be implemented. I like this, since it's the obvious choice, but still unique. A short stun opens up a lot and by the sound of it he'll be able to utilise it well.

"His recovery isn't fantastic, but it makes people trip if you hit them from the ground, it also has really good range from the ground." - Monado Cyclone? The trip concept is interesting, since y'know... 'cyclone'. And as we expected, the recovery is mediocre.

"Also, his side smash does a HUGE amount of damage when you hit an opponent from behind. Seriously though, if you counter someone, you can hit them from behind and it HURTS." - No prizes for guessing what move this is. Sounds perfect.

And why do I believe all of this? Well obviously he might be lying, but he said he hasn't played Xenoblade yet. The moves he explains are identifiable to someone who has played it, but not to someone who hasn't.

Also, this: "the ability to talk with Hades and Varidi about characters you're facing."

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
T"his neutral special makes his sword really big" - This sounds like Monado Buster but there isn't a whole lot of information on it... Is there no attack? Does the sword just get bigger? Who knows...
Dude, neutral B being Monado Buster would be so awesome. Just imagine Kirby using that move with Shulk's british accent!

:059:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I could see Monado buster as neutral B function like Marth's shield breaker from Melee, but slower and with much farther reach.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I usually have a policy on leaks that pretty much sums up as "Always a chance of it being fake, and just got lucky if complete came true". Still, this one clearly has a make-or-brake factor in being yet another leak that has Ridley as a character, and as someone on the "Ridley is Pyrosphere's boss hazard" side of that argument, i'm doubly doubtful of this one.

That said, that Shulk moveset doesn't really sound too out of place, especially with that last one that had Shulk's Neutral Spec as a stance shift. I also kinda like how all of these "leaked" Shulk movesets make him out to be some kind of rogue, disturbing character's pace to go in for a backstab <or Back Slash, in his case>.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
That said, that Shulk moveset doesn't really sound too out of place, especially with that last one that had Shulk's Neutral Spec as a stance shift. I also kinda like how all of these "leaked" Shulk movesets make him out to be some kind of rogue, disturbing character's pace to go in for a backstab <or Back Slash, in his case>.
Honestly, thats pretty much how I played Xenoblade. Set up Shulk, then Dunban/Reyn and then one if the support like females, and play as Shulk to hit the enemy from behind.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Can they even use Last Story music? I thought a 3rd party studio made it?

On that note, could they use Pandora's Tower music on a Xenoblade stage?

The Last Story IP is completely owned by Nintendo even though Mistwalker made the game. Although if Music is used from Non-Xenoblade games on a Xenoblade stage I would think it would be from Soma Bringer, since that game was also made by Monolithsoft (it is a DS game that was never released outside of Japan.)

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Oh cool, a new leak.

I like this one better, in terms of how they claim Shulk will play out. Monado Buster will probably take a while to build up in exchange for range and power. Cyclone tripping doesn't surprise me. Maybe down special is either Vision or Shadow Eye?

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Bravely Default music on the Xenoblade stage. Because the main BD composer works on X.
Dont read the comments if you haven't finished the game; spoilers!
I would like to see
The final boss theme. You could shorten the intro a bit because the most epic part of the music starts around 3:00, where, eventually, all of the characters themes get remixed into another. <3
The battle themes for a very important pre-final boss boss later on.
More boss battle themes.
And the normal battle theme!

But honestly, the Xenoblade soundtrack is so huge, there are so many tracks to pick from, and although I LOVE the BD soundtrack (and not just the battle themes, they just fit the best), I don't think any other game soundtracks are necessary for the stage.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Oh cool, a new leak.

I like this one better, in terms of how they claim Shulk will play out. Monado Buster will probably take a while to build up in exchange for range and power. Cyclone tripping doesn't surprise me. Maybe down special is either Vision or Shadow Eye?
Let alone Side Smash being Backstab

Like, in terms of content, I have zero problems with what it's saying (super powerful backstab better be at least 30+% :p )

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
"His recovery isn't fantastic, but it makes people trip if you hit them from the ground, it also has really good range from the ground." - Monado Cyclone? The trip concept is interesting, since y'know... 'cyclone'. And as we expected, the recovery is mediocre."
I made Monado Cyclone a move that causes tripping in a move list I made about 150 or so pages ago. The reasoning behind that is that is causes topple in game, and the closest thing Smash has to topple is trip. These leakers are stealing my ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom