• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Hm, I very much believe it's a spiritual sequel. Xenoblade was an experiment, as stated by Takahashi himself. I believe Xenoblade is the beginning of Xenoblade X's world, not in the literal sense, but more in the way that the ideas and experiments that worked so well in Xenoblade, and its design philosophy, will be carried over, refined, and built on in Xenoblade X.
I believe it is a sort of an 'alternate reality' similarly to the Bioshock series if you are familiar with that. The starting point will be the Earth, branching off into two timelines,
one where Klaus/Zanza destroyed and create a new world of the Bionis and the Mechonis,
and the other one where the two alien species battle it out above Earth, and the aftermath of that(Storyline of Xenoblade X)

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
His name is Dittson by the way.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
That's what I'm thinking too. If Sakurai played Xenoblade, then everything will fall into place for him as a playable character. I made a whole moveset for Shulk way long ago (I'll have to dig deep in this thread to find it) and everything fell into place.
Back Slash as his side smash.
Slit Edge as two of his tilts.
Shaker Edge as his down smash.
Air Slash as an aerial attack.
Stream Edge as his up smash.
Monado Arts like Buster, Eater, Shield, and Speed as his specials.
Monado Cyclone as his Final Smash.

There is so much Sakurai could do with Shulk that he would easily translate well into Smash.
As for Chrom, I struggled to think about what he could do. I saw all of his attacks in the Unit Gallery and most of them were taken by other characters. I really had to dig deep just to know what could make him unique.
Is Shulk's moveset the thing that most Shulk Supporters argue about? I mean, is there a set amount Monado arts that the majority of Shulk fans agree with that makes a perfect Shulk moveset?

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Has Sakurai ever said in an interview he's a fan of Xenoblade or are people assuming because of the picture with the monado?

I've played through Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade, I know how crazy these stories can get. Until proven otherwise i'm operating under the assumption that Xenoblade Chronicles X is a true sequel.

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Is Shulk's moveset the thing that most Shulk Supporters argue about? I mean, is there a set amount Monado arts that the majority of Shulk fans agree with that makes a perfect Shulk moveset?
I think Shulk's moveset is the only thing Shulk fans argue about. And it's not even arguing. It's politely suggesting back and forth.

Again, I love this thread.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I love how I'm posting these goofy a** Pokémon while people are having serious discussions.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
That's what I'm thinking too. If Sakurai played Xenoblade, then everything will fall into place for him as a playable character. I made a whole moveset for Shulk way long ago (I'll have to dig deep in this thread to find it) and everything fell into place.
Back Slash as his side smash.
Slit Edge as two of his tilts.
Shaker Edge as his down smash.
Air Slash as an aerial attack.
Stream Edge as his up smash.
Monado Arts like Buster, Eater, Shield, and Speed as his specials.
Monado Cyclone as his Final Smash.

There is so much Sakurai could do with Shulk that he would easily translate well into Smash.
As for Chrom, I struggled to think about what he could do. I saw all of his attacks in the Unit Gallery and most of them were taken by other characters. I really had to dig deep just to know what could make him unique.
Agreed with Monado Arts being the specials, but the Final Smash should be a Chain Attack!

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I love how I'm posting these goofy a** Pokémon while people are having serious discussions.
Well, you see, perhaps it is the goofy Pokemon that propel us to such heights of maturity and serious conversation? Perhaps, it is Pokemon that are the answer to getting people to be serious.

That said, have discussions, gentlemen!

Edit: Oh my... It actually worked.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think Shulk's moveset is the only thing Shulk fans argue about. And it's not even arguing. It's politely suggesting back and forth.

Again, I love this thread.
Well, that is good to hear. I just thought some Shulk supporters would have a harder time deciding what would be the best Stage Rep for the Xenoblade Chronicles series. It is good to know that Shulk Supporters have some things that they agree on without much debating (as far as I know).

Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Well, that is good to hear. I just thought some Shulk supporters would have a harder time deciding what would be the best Stage Rep for the Xenoblade Chronicles series. It is good to know that Shulk Supporters have somethings that they agree on without much debating (as far as I know).
The only thing that seems to get me is how Shulk would enter the stage. The closest thing I could think of is an Eryth Sea teleporter...

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Well, that is good to hear. I just thought some Shulk supporters would have a harder time deciding what would be the best Stage Rep for the Xenoblade Chronicles series. It is good to know that Shulk Supporters have somethings that they agree on without much debating (as far as I know).
Gaur Plains is by the most iconic, so that makes sense as far as stages. If not, then Fallen Arm would be good because then you can see both the Bionis and the Mechonis. I don't think stage selection is too hard, right?

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Gaur Plains is by the most iconic, so that makes sense as far as stages. If not, then Fallen Arm would be good because then you can both the Bionis and the Mechonis. I don't think stage selection is too hard, right?
I don't know. I think when it comes to stage selection, it all depends on whether you prefer stages with Hazards or provides competitive battle space with no interference.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
We all agree that any stage from Xenoblade would be fantastic, and that it would be impossible to choose just one.

(Junks 4 life, tho)

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I don't know. I think when it comes to stage selection, it all depends on whether you prefer stages with Hazards or provides competitive battle space with no interference.
Gaur Plains has hazards. Say hello to random level 80+ monsters anyone? I think somebody also suggested a Junks travel stage, which works just fine.

The only thing that seems to get me is how Shulk would enter the stage. The closest thing I could think of is an Eryth Sea teleporter...
Maybe Junks could drop him off?

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Junks travelling stage would be best to cover all the bases! But if we were to pic a locale, I say maybe Raguel Bridge overlooking the Gaur Plains, which is probably the most iconic area of the game.

Other possible stages:
Eryth Sea floating island? (FD/Battlefield type stage)
Frontier Village? (that Donkey Kong type scrolling upwards stage? lol)
Fallen Arm overlooking the titans?

So many great places!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I have stopped thinking about which stage would be the best, because they all are.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Sword Valley seems likely. Eryth Sea, Prison Island, and most of all Junks would be better choices in my opinion though.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
On the topic of movesets, here's my proposal. I'm on my phone, mind you.

For starters, I imagine Shulk will have a talent guage, in a similar vein to Mac's power meter. Once charged, he can hit B or Down+B to activate his Monado Arts. At any rate, his specials would be:

B--Back Slash: now that we know certain characters have attacks that work better from behind (thank you Robin), I feel this is likely. Does exactly what it says on the tin, more damage from behind the target.
Side-B--Slit Edge: minimal knockback, but makes the target take a small amount of extra damage from attacks for a few seconds.
Up-B--Air Slash: Shulk slashes upwards like Dolphin Slash, but has an extra hit at the end that reduces walking speed for a few seconds.
Down-B--Shaker Edge: Pesky thing! Stuns grounded opponents and spikes airborne ones (not fully obeying canon, I know). Stun last for only a few seconds but can be enough to position for a Back Slash.

Monado Specials
B--Monado Cyclone: Chargeable (charge increases range). Forces opponents to trip.
Side-B--Monado Buster: Outright massive damage, no surprises there.
Up-B--Monado Purge: Similar animation to Air Slash, but final slash sends out an energy ball that hits through shields and disables blocking for a short time.
Down-B--Monado Shield: Blocks the next Smash Attack Shulk is hit by.

Final Smash--Chain Attack: Shulk initiates a Chain Attack. I won't specify how the other participating characters are chosen (randomly, all of them, or set pair). Ends with a Monado Buster, regardless of Shulk's Talent Guage at the time of initiation.

Edit: regarding his visions, I feel like trying to directly incorporate them into his actual moveset would slow the game down (due to Shulk stopping the battle to have a vision). To me, it would suffice for Shulk's eyes to glow when he dodges. We know Sakurai pays attention to detail, and it would serve as a good homage without causing the battle to slow down.

Last edited:

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
I could imagine a Gaur Plains stage where different monsters stampede across the stage every now and then, like a Leg Ardun for example.

Finkrat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Finkrat3932
After seeing Dittson, I have to stop lurking. Otherwise, it would be a crime after the laugh it gave me. But then again, I'm already guilty due to the Juju jokes and Lovenado fanfiction a couple pages back.

Anyways, I guess I should introduce myself. Well, ever since I played and finished Xenoblade all the way through, I became a supporter of Shulk since 2012. The uniqueness of his sword and arts made me come under the impression that he was almost practically MADE to be in Smash Bros and that seeing him would be a dream come true. Despite that, I didn't start lurking around these forums until a few days before the MonadoMonday hype. (Another crime added to the record. :ohwell:)
I know you also received this praise by plenty of others, but I have to say that you are all an amazing group. I could get into detail, but I'll just skip most of this since you've heard this before. Your optimism and creativity was probably the main reason as to why I constantly came back to view this thread. Must admit, I barely see these traits in a fandom anymore, especially in the Smash Bros community.

Anyways, we're talking about stages now, huh? Gotta admit, the Junks idea would be REALLY cool, but it doesn't feel right to leave out any Xenoblade areas, so I will concur with the "there are no bad Xenoblade stages" agreement. Although, if I had to pick one area, it would probably have to be Sword Valley, but that's taking the easy way out. I guess Eryth Sea? I honestly dunno. It hurts my soul to choose only one area to be a stage...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I dunno, I'd be cool if his entrance was him running onto the stage with Monado Speed.

The thing that gives me the most trouble as a concept (which isn't saying much, because Shulk has so many potential moves anyway.) is coming up with an Up-B I'm actually comfortable with. So far, I like:

(This is of course, ignoring the decent chance that Sakurai just gives him a ****ing Monado Gauge.)

B - Monado Eater: Shulk swings the Monado and produces a wave of energy that causes damage over time to the enemy. Also does decent damage and knockback if the target is struck with the Monado itself. This could also be Buster, but that's so much less interesting.

Bv - Monado Shield: Shulk gains a shield that completely deflects special moves for X amount of time.

B<> - Monado Purge: Shulk swings the Monado, producing a wave of green energy that either A. prevents the target from utilizing special moves for a couple seconds, or, if that concept is so OP, like was said earlier, just prevents them from shielding. Also does damage, but with no knockback.

I just can never pick an up-b I actually like. Although I guess Speed is a good choice, because on the ground it could make him faster, and in the air it can propel him diagonally upwards. I dunno, what are your thoughts?

Chain Attack or bust, although there's like a billion potential FSs.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just a heads up to all the thread noobs, the MOST fantastic part of this thread is that if you even mention something in a casual way, someone will make it happen.

Watch.

Yeah, Megaman's Final Smash is cool, but it would be cooler if all the Megamen were actually Riki.

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Just a heads up to all the thread noobs, the MOST fantastic part of this thread is that if you even mention something in a casual way, someone will make it happen.

Watch.

Yeah, Megaman's Final Smash is cool, but it would be cooler if all the Megaman's were actually Riki.
Super Fighting Nopon!
HEROPON!
FIGHTING TO SAVE HIS LITTLEPONS!

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
See, Herpon Legends isn't even out yet, and we're all so hype.

#BestThread.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

Watch.

Yeah, Megaman's Final Smash is cool, but it would be cooler if all the Megamen were actually Riki.
I'm straight on that s**t bronado.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Shulk Taunts and misc.!

This is the power of the Monado! (Flashes the Monado)
The enemy's weak, but don't drop your guard!
Eats infinite sandwich

Victory dialogue:
"Piece of cake!"
"We(I) win!"
"The future doesn't belong to you!"

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Shulk Taunts and misc.!

Eats infinite sandwich

Victory dialogue:
"Piece of cake!"
"We(I) win!"
Ooh, it'd be a nice touch if he specifically said "We win!" in a team battle.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Shulk Taunts and misc.!

Eats infinite sandwich

Victory dialogue:
"Piece of cake!"
"We(I) win!"
I love those. I especially think he needs to say the last one (in victory themes), because it's just such an iconic line that represents the game well.

Well, all of them do.

So are we still set on "Secret Area Discovered" jingle being the Xenoblade victory theme?

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I love those. I especially think he needs to say the last one (in victory themes), because it's just such an iconic line that represents the game well.

Well, all of them do.

So are we still set on "Secret Area Discovered" jingle being the Xenoblade victory theme?
I wasn't until you said it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Now that I'm thinking about Shulk's potential reveal trailer, I think as some have suggested that Shulk should be the last newcomer revealed along with my other two Xenoblade hopefuls and that it ends with the entire Smash Bros. 4 cast (assuming that a Rhythm Heaven newcomer is also in and that all Brawl vets minus Squirtle/Ivysaur/maybe Snake and/or Lucas are in) doing a Chain Attack against Master Hand, with Shulk going last using Monado Buster. After Master Hand is defeated, Shulk will say, "No one being has the future to themselves. Everyone -- all of us --" and then the camera zooms out showing the entire cast as Shulk continues, "decide our own future!!" And then the Smash Bros. logo appears with hopefully a Wii U release date...
followed by a character DLC annoucement with Snake, Lucas and Mewtwo as the first DLC characters, since even without the Gematsu leak I still think DLC may happen

That would make his reveal/the Direct he's revealed in (if it is a Direct) absolutely perfect for me.

and I made a couple revisions to my Xenoblade rep ideas post a while back

And regarding my opinion about his chances, I actually picked up Xenoblade for Christmas 2013, long before I heard rumors about Shulk being in smash. I hadn't actually started playing it till March this year though, and had already seen potential in Shulk for SSB. I don't doubt he'll be in anyway.

Last edited:

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Shulk Taunts and misc.!

Eats infinite sandwich

Victory dialogue:
"Piece of cake!"
"We(I) win!"
For victory dialogue I always thought, "You never stood a chance!", would be pretty cool.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yay! It just fits awesomely for that kind of thing!

#MostAgreeableBronados.

Edit: For reference to those who haven't heard or don't remember it:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom