• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
You can't go wrong with the Xenogears and Xenosaga games, if you haven't already played through those (PS1 and PS2). The current team at Monolith Soft was behind those in their Square days, and Xenoblade Chronicles (as well as Xenoblade Chronicles X) definitely has its roots coming from those titles.
I tried playing Xenogears, but I'm afraid I couldn't continue on as I don't think it aged well at all. However, in the first couple of hours I've played it, it seems like a great title. I really want to be able to go through it sometime.

I also played Xenosaga Episode I and I must say, I really liked it! I'm still at the beginning but you can really see the 'Monolithsoft' signature style with it, that I guess will influence what Xenoblade Chronicles X will be.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm upset we don't have a pic of Shulk using Takamaru as a weapon yet. This thread is letting me down.
The sword of the Bionis! The Takamonado!

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm by no means meaning anything by this and I know absolutely nothing about Shulk or Xenoblade (Except for ROBOTS), but for whatever reason I feel like Robin's reveal hurts Shulk's chances somehow. Maybe it's the slight visual similarity. Maybe it's the Gematsu thing.

I do feel like we probably should have seen him already though. A rep from a new franchise being in the game, usually one of the first shown off. But we're talking about Sakurai so I dunno he probably has like kumquats playable instead
Must have been the blatant Monado purge troll :troll:

No need to worry. Shulk and Robin have nearly nothing in common. Gematsu may have been an apocalypse for the Chrom thread, but here it was merely the equivalent of a bad bug bite. Annoying as soon as you get it, but quickly gone and forgotten. Well maybe Gemetsu wasn't forgotten and I have no idea how I came up with this terrible analogy, however you get the point

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I've never played White Knight Chronicles, but I have heard that it and it's sequel have a very similar play style to Xenoblade. I have also heard that both games are extremely grind dependent and repetitive, but some people seem to really like them.

D

Deleted member

I'm by no means meaning anything by this and I know absolutely nothing about Shulk or Xenoblade (Except for ROBOTS), but for whatever reason I feel like Robin's reveal hurts Shulk's chances somehow. Maybe it's the slight visual similarity. Maybe it's the Gematsu thing.
I say that Robin's hurts Shulk's chances only because the Gematsu leak isn't valid anymore. As I've said time and time again, Shulk doesn't need the leak to get in. I also don't think that Robin being aesthetically similar to Shulk (even though they don't look that similar in my opinion) should hurt Shulk's chances.
If anything, I say that Sakurai's quote about Chrom helps Shulk. If Sakurai played FE:A and all of Robin's moves fell into place, then I bet all of Shulk's moves would fall into place if he played Xenoblade.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice

I do feel like we probably should have seen him already though. A rep from a new franchise being in the game, usually one of the first shown off. But we're talking about Sakurai so I dunno he probably has like kumquats playable instead
In terms of looks, Robin and Shulk might be similar to someone not familiar with either series is understandable, as they clearly have similar looking hairstyles, but Shulk's a bit longer and blonde, but I think they will differentiate his facial feature from him. Not to mention if VA is indeed a big thing this time (which I think it is given the Palutena and Robin trailers) He will be the only British character in the mix, I think.
The Gematsu is really nothing, as there are many other signs pointing to him even without the leak.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Robin hurts Isaac more then anyone, because they would both fill the Spell Sword niche. Even that is suspect logic, though.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Just read the article addressing Sakurai's attitude on Chrom. As I suspected, Robin's techniques stuck out to him more, but Chrom just didn't have that uniqueness that would have made him a compelling addition to Sm4sh. If memory serves, Sakurai is a Xenoblade fan, yes? I think the writing's on the wall, you guys.

D

Deleted member

Just read the article addressing Sakurai's attitude on Chrom. As I suspected, Robin's techniques stuck out to him more, but Chrom just didn't have that uniqueness that would have made him a compelling addition to Sm4sh. If memory serves, Sakurai is a Xenoblade fan, yes? I think the writing's on the wall, you guys.
That's what I'm thinking too. If Sakurai played Xenoblade, then everything will fall into place for him as a playable character. I made a whole moveset for Shulk way long ago (I'll have to dig deep in this thread to find it) and everything fell into place.
Back Slash as his side smash.
Slit Edge as two of his tilts.
Shaker Edge as his down smash.
Air Slash as an aerial attack.
Stream Edge as his up smash.
Monado Arts like Buster, Eater, Shield, and Speed as his specials.
Monado Cyclone as his Final Smash.

There is so much Sakurai could do with Shulk that he would easily translate well into Smash.
As for Chrom, I struggled to think about what he could do. I saw all of his attacks in the Unit Gallery and most of them were taken by other characters. I really had to dig deep just to know what could make him unique.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
He tweeted a real-life Monado in a Xenoblade(?) music event before, so I guess he is.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220

Boom. You da man, Sakurai.

Honestly, at this point, I'd be more surprised if Shulk isn't in Smash 4. Setting myself up for disappointment? Hopefully not.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess if Shulk doesn't get in but Ridley does, they could always add either the Bionis or Mechonis to face off against him since each one is too big. :troll:

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
With the attention to uniqueness AND to representing a character's home game mechanics, I have a hard time seeing Shulk not having a talent guage in the same way that Little Mac has his KO meter. His standard specials would then be his regular arts, but when his gauge is full he can press down b to unleash the Monado and then have a choice of one of 4 Monado arts. This would be interesting because, unlike Mac, he could save up when to use his super move, and he would also have to choose which super move he wanted to use.

Last edited:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice

Boom. You da man, Sakurai.

Honestly, at this point, I'd be more surprised if Shulk isn't in Smash 4. Setting myself up for disappointment? Hopefully not.
This just proves that Sakurai is aware of the existence of this game. OR maybe he played it himself? Hahaha (to create a moveset for Shulk!!!)

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
This just proves that Sakurai is aware of the existence of this game. OR maybe he played it himself? Hahaha (to create a moveset for Shulk!!!)
I'm just saying that it's evidence of his interest in the title, that's all. Sakurai is such an interesting fellow. I've just got my fingers crossed that Shulk piqued his interest enough to add him to Sm4sh.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I'm just saying that it's evidence of his interest in the title, that's all. Sakurai is such an interesting fellow. I've just got my fingers crossed that Shulk piqued his interest enough to add him to Sm4sh.
Oh I think he will be. :))

That real-life Monado makes me think of the Shulk amiibo! Hnnnnnnnng

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Real talk here.
Anyone remember That's So Raven? The girl who had visions of the future?
We need a That's So Shulk. Would be fabulous.
Agreed. Reyn will be played by a sassy, strong, independent black woman as well.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I just finished another run of Xenoblade and jumped back into FE Awakening to fuel my Robin hype. Does anyone have some suggestions for games to play in the future that are similar to Xenoblade? I know of some, but it is always nice to hear other people's opinions and create a log of games to play if I need a new one.
How about Last Story? It was one of the games that came from OPRainfall and is a very fun game to play.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
How about Last Story? It was one of the games that came from OPRainfall and is a very fun game to play.
Great game. Not as good as Xenoblade, however a lot of the music is excellent and I found the plot and gameplay to be very engaging. There's a game Nintendo can pull out a sequel for, but I don't think that's going to happen. I have yet to play Pandora's tower though.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
If Shulk isn't in Smash, I will be gobsmacked. The signs are all too clear, and I even believe Sakurai knows that we know he's pretty much a given. There's no way Nintendo would buy out a developer like Monolithsoft, have them create a critically-acclaimed, universally praised RPG, and greenlight a spiritual sequel under the same name for Wii U, and not put the main protagonist from the first game as a playable character for Smash in an effort to help the series gain more traction. (I know it's up to Sakurai, but I still think choices are somewhat based on internal business decisions)

Shulk is, worldwide, one of the most requested characters for Smash, and would bring to the fighting series the powers of the Monado (positional attacks, Arts, buffs/debuffs, visions, talent gauge). It would be a terrible business decision and very illogical on Nintendo's behalf to not include Shulk, and a big blow to their Xenoblade fanbase.

Monolithsoft and Nintendo are family; there's no way he's not getting in.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
If Shulk isn't in Smash, I will be gobsmacked. The signs are all too clear, and I even believe Sakurai knows that we know he's pretty much a given. There's no way Nintendo would buy out a developer like Monolithsoft, have them create a critically-acclaimed, universally praised RPG, and greenlight a spiritual sequel under the same name for Wii U, and not put the main protagonist from the first game as a playable character for Smash in an effort to help the series gain more traction. (I know it's up to Sakurai, but I still think choices are somewhat based on internal business decisions)

Shulk is, worldwide, one of the most requested characters for Smash, and would bring to the fighting series the powers of the Monado (positional attacks, Arts, buffs/debuffs, visions, talent gauge). It would be a terrible business decision and very illogical on Nintendo's behalf to not include Shulk, and a big blow to their Xenoblade fanbase.

Monolithsoft and Nintendo are family; there's no way he's not getting in.
Considering that Monolithsoft has helped Nintendo with multiple project (Brawl included.) I would be really weirded out if Shulk isn't a character in Smash 4.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
We need a timeline for this thread since it is so unpredictable, yet so amazing:

Character announcement in a few days --> Hype train for Shulk reveal, Reyn Gifs all of the time --> No Shulk reveal --> Bronados unite --> Hype continues with Xenoblade Miis, Neyn is born --> Xenoblade fan fiction, lovenado?--> Character photoshops takeover, Hades and Juju abuse --> Xenoblade X Pokemon --> Xenoblade X That's So Raven --> What will they think up next!?

I probably forgot a thing or two and some of that may be out of order if someone wants to make a more accurate version.

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Considering that Monolithsoft has helped Nintendo with multiple project (Brawl included.) I would be really weirded out if Shulk isn't a character in Smash 4.
And A Link Between Worlds. I didn't realize it during my initial playthrough, though, and I'm a little ashamed for that. :p

... Yuga confirmed? Yes? No? No...

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So guys, I have restrained myself long enough. I can't contain the hype anymore, I REALLY want Xenoblade chronicles X. I'ts gonna be so f**king amazing.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
It wouldn't make sense; it would be like leaving to go on holiday with your children and forgetting one of them.

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
We need a timeline for this thread since it is so unpredictable, yet so amazing:

Character announcement in a few days --> Hype train for Shulk reveal, Reyn Gifs all of the time --> No Shulk reveal --> Bronados unite --> Hype continues with Xenoblade Miis, Neyn is born --> Xenoblade fan fiction, lovado?--> Character photoshops takeover, Hades and Juju abuse --> Xenoblade X Pokemon --> Xenoblade X That's So Raven --> What will they think up next!?

I probably forgot a thing or two and some of that may be out of order if someone wants to make a more accurate version.
*Lovenado.

;)

Last edited:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Thanks guys. As much as I love Xenoblade, I haven't played earlier Xeno titles and will definitely give those a look. I hate to admit this, but I've never played a final fantasy game before although I have watched some lets plays. I'm planning on playing 7 and 4 at some point though since everyone raves about those. I've also been meaning to play a Tales game but for whatever reason I never do.

Shulk looks like a Nintendo character.... Never heard that one before.

I still think Shulk will be revealed next month since as far as I can tell, he is the most popular newcomer choice for Japan and a great way to build additional hype leading into the 3ds launch.
Watch out: Incoming wall of text.
Well, JRPGs I really like...
- Golden Sun, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, I liked Dark Dawn but not that much. Play those in proper order, or at least 1+2 in order so you can get the 100% in the second game. Golden Sun 1 had a WiiU VC release and Golden Sun 2 will be released for VC soon.
- Final Fantasy: I heard a lot of good things from FF6 and FF10, although one of my personal favorites is FF5, because the amount of customisation you can do in this game class-wise is nuts and there are so many secrets too!
- Tales games are great too. Notable Tales games for Nintendo consoles are Tales of Symphonia (GC) and Tales of the Abyss (3DS). Haven't played Abyss yet but Symphonia is a great game IMO; it has a bit of a slow start though. Then there's Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, which had a mixed reception: Some really liked it, others didn't like it as much as ToS. The PS3 has both Tales of Symphonias with even more content as well as Tales of Graces f and Tales of Xillia, didn't play them but watched LPs of them and really liked what I saw. We'll get PS3 Xillia 2 this summer too, Japan got it way earlier though. 360 has Vesperia, saw a LP of it and it looks fantastic, but the japanese PS3 version has a lot more content. Hope we'll get a rerelease like that overseas.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I still think X might be a true sequel to Xenoblade, and not in the way most people think.

Alvis recreated the universe at the end of the game, but being a computer he probably doesn't have that much of an imagination. He may have created an infinite universe based on the original universe pre-Zanza. Earth and other inhabited planets may have been part of that in addition to what was once Bionis, so it is possible that after Earth was destroyed the planet that the survivors found was in fact the one that the Bionis and Mechonis turned into at the end of Xenoblade.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I've brought it up in the past as the possibility that, because its new, it might not get as high of a priority as people are thinking. But I certainly don't think it denies entrance to a Xenoblade rep at all.
The too new argument is so dumb, I guest pikachu and jigglypuff shouldn't been in ssb because pokemon came out in 1996 and SSB came out in 1999 so they will be too new because of that argument.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I don't get why so many online are so anti- shulk ( mostly on youtube) They ignorance is worst I have seen, they don't see the benefits of having him in smash?
I think the reason some places don't like Shulk is because they never heard of Xenoblade and also see a sword so they think he shouldn't be playable and that this "generic anime swordsmen" is taking away spots from K Rool and Ridley. Which by the way the slot argument is so arbitrary. Sakurai will add as man characters as he wants. Just because a character you don't like makes it in the game doesn't mean they were the reason a character you wanted didn't make it in.

Also, and no offense to anyone here that wants these characters, but not realizing the potential Shulk has but wanting a Goomba, 57 Pokemon characters, Call of Duty Soldier, Goku and Shrek?!?! I think Sakurai has better idea of who would work in Smash.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
You guys were talking about Xenoblade Pokémon while I was asleep eh?
Have another one:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
You guys were talking about Xenoblade Pokémon while I was asleep eh?
Have another one:
Oooh, is it foreign? Now I have a better chance of hatching a shiny Shulkle!

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
I still think X might be a true sequel to Xenoblade, and not in the way most people think.

Alvis recreated the universe at the end of the game, but being a computer he probably doesn't have that much of an imagination. He may have created an infinite universe based on the original universe pre-Zanza. Earth and other inhabited planets may have been part of that in addition to what was once Bionis, so it is possible that after Earth was destroyed the planet the survivors found was in fact the one that the Bionis and Mechonis turned into at the end of Xenoblade.
Hm, I very much believe it's a spiritual sequel. Xenoblade was an experiment, as stated by Takahashi himself. I believe Xenoblade is the beginning of Xenoblade X's world, not in the literal sense, but more in the way that the ideas and experiments that worked so well in Xenoblade, and its design philosophy, will be carried over, refined, and built on in Xenoblade X.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom