• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't really mind if Ryu get moves from other characters, but I think it should stay true to the character, more or less.

So seeing him suddenly using a wrestling technique from a big russian seems a bit out of place... :p

On the other hand, the flash kick is basically just Captain Falcon / Ganondorf U-air. It's less specific, so it's okay.
This is absolutely true. I personally justified it to myself using a few reasons:

1) That move is probably the most iconic throw move out of the entire SF series.
2) There will be plenty of things that look far more out of place in comparison; like Ryu wielding a ray gun.
3) It would look awesome.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
This is absolutely true. I personally justified it to myself using a few reasons:

1) That move is probably the most iconic throw move out of the entire SF series.
2) There will be plenty of things that look far more out of place in comparison; like Ryu wielding a ray gun.
3) It would look awesome.
You do get 3 points here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3F1wgG70Qw

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
I don't think dlc fighters receive customs, mewtwo didn't get any then again it could be added later on in the games life.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Am I the only one who's excited for the possibility of Dan appearing as an assist trophy? (If Street Fighter were to get two assist trophies; Chun-Li would probably be the first pick for assist trophy as many have mentioned.)

Just imagine Dan popping out and performing the Legendary Taunt.

Vineyard Vines

Smash Rookie
Can you guys imagine?... The standard logo of the Smash trailer appears, and a normal battle between common characters already in the game is shown in the Battlefield; .. and then, the fight freezes and the Announcers yells "HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!" in a Street Fighter fashion;

Ryu appears as in his SFIV intro and says "The answer lies in the heart of Battle!" -- The splash screen appears! (I dunno about the text, XD XD);
This idea is genius!

I myself would be very happy to see Ryu added to the Smash bros. roster. He would fit in perfectly. Street Fighter ll: The World Warrior was the highest selling 3rd party title and the 4th overall highest selling title on the SNES. Later releases of the series also rank among the top sellers. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition was also a hit, first 3DS game to sell a million copies and arguably the best launch title for the system. The series is also huge in Japan, so Ryu has a ton of supporters there.

Ryu definitely deserves to be playable in Smash compared to a lot of other characters being suggested. Without SFll, Smash would never even exist.
I just hope Ken is in his alternate costumes, possibly similar to how Wario has 4 colors for both of his looks. It would also be interesting if Ken had his moves, like the fire Shoryuken, weaker hadouken, multi-hitting tatsumaki, and his normals.

Another cool feature would be where you can select your ultra combo/super art move and Ryu gets a super gauge similar to Little Mac.

As for Roy, I would welcome his return, hopefully having a few more differences in his moves compared to Marth/Lucina.

Edit: Just read through more of the thread and noticed some of my ideas have been already posted.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Well, seems that will help some people here; I made with most of the purpose of showing off Ryu's legacy on Nintendo's system; but in the end... I think that this can be a nice tribute to whole the franchise as well;
Once I remember seeing a video explaining Smash for Street Fighter players; now, take this (kinda) the same but the opposite. XD.. Hope you enjoy! =)

Graizen

Smash Champion
Question : If Ryu is in Smash 4 it will be the second representative from Capcom in the game. Do you think it can confirm more representatives from SEGA and Namco Bandai also?

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
Question : If Ryu is in Smash 4 it will be the second representative from Capcom in the game. Do you think it can confirm more representatives from SEGA and Namco Bandai also?
I don't think so. Megs Man and Ryu are both worthy of being in Smash, but I don't think Sega or Namco really has anyone else who's worthy.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't personally think so - mostly because I have always viewed 3rd party characters as representing their series rather than the company that created them.

What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't have expected e.g. a 2nd Sonic character before, and still don't. However, if Namco hypothetically had another series with a 3rd party character of similar caliber then I wouldn't argue against their inclusion. I view Mega Man and Ryu as representative of two separate very iconic game series with important ties to Nintendo rather than putting them under a single Capcom umbrella.

For Sega and Namco in particular I still don't think either has another character from a series not yet represented who is of the caliber of the 3rd party representation currently. I think Konami has a couple.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Nah; Capcom just happens to have two names that are easily recognizable icons, even pioneers of certain parts of gaming. Without Ryu (and Street Fighter as a whole) the fighting game genre wouldn't be where it is today, and we wouldn't be obsessing over the game he's likely to guest star in.

Sakurai seems to look at third parties the right way, as in "What major icons are important enough to be brought into Smash?" Ryu would fit that, for all the same reasons and more some of our existing third parties do. Snake fit this, to a lesser degree than Ryu, but he was no less a recognizable name. So I wouldn't expect Namdai and SEGA to get another character just because Ryu's also a Capcom character. He's in a whole different league than literally all their other potential additions, frankly.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Y'all are dumb if you're trying to make his neutral B a hadouken. Ryu's whole projectile game revolves around varying speeds up to answer counters and a neutral B can't do that. Neutral B should be the donkey kick and Side-B does a slow/normal hadouken and Smash-B does fast ones. Make the spinkick downB and shoryuken upB and call it a day.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Ryu's moveset would work FLAWLESSY in Smash. I can see it now in my mind.

He will probably have similar animations and moves to the ones he had in games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom, etc. Those are the ones I can see working.

I for one, am super excited to play Ryu in Smash. Plus, just imagine what the fighting game community will say.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Y'all are dumb if you're trying to make his neutral B a hadouken. Ryu's whole projectile game revolves around varying speeds up to answer counters and a neutral B can't do that. Neutral B should be the donkey kick and Side-B does a slow/normal hadouken and Smash-B does fast ones. Make the spinkick downB and shoryuken upB and call it a day.
I think it's a more a case of approaching Ryu from a Smash Bros perspective than from a Street Fighter perspective. There are very good reasons why you'd put Hadouken as Neutral B:

- Primary projectiles are almost invariably mapped to that input in Smash. King Dedede is the only counter example I can really think of to that, though there are probably others.
- Specials which cause horizontal movement, especially if they can be used in the air for recovery, are very often put as the Side B.
- A neutral B could do that. You could quite easily map it so that if B was tapped once, it fires a slow Hadouken, whereas tapping it a second time during startup would cause it to travel faster. Enough moves (Bowser Up B, R.O.B. Up B, Luigi Down B, Ice Climbers Side B in previous games) utilise multi-tapping that I don't see what wouldn't be feasible about this idea.

Honestly I think mapping his spinning kick to the Down B is much, much more unnatural than mapping his projectile to the Neutral B when the spin-kick is all about the horizontal movement.

Edit: An easy solution to this, if you don't buy Hadouken as Neutral B, is to make it the Down B, for which you can then do the tilt/smash idea and still map the spin-kick to Side B.

Plus, just imagine what the fighting game community will say.
Based on my experience with fighting game communities, especially the capcom players waiting for Smash to finish at Evo so Marvel will stream, it will be something along the lines of "Now the babies can finally play Ryu".

Last edited:

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Based on my experience with fighting game communities, especially the capcom players waiting for Smash to finish at Evo so Marvel will stream, it will be something along the lines of "Now the babies can finally play Ryu".
It was food for thought. In other words, Ryu being in Smash is ultimately going to get people to realize that Smash is seriously a very in depth fighting game. It's pulling big numbers at every major and is continuing to grow. The final step is recognition by the broader community.

I personally believe that Smash 4 resembles traditional fighters more so than any other Smash game, including PM.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Two possibilities: Either as a "Smash" Side-B, like Samus' missiles, or make it a neutral-B that can be faster by pressing forward, or slowed down by pressing backward.

After all, Dedede can throw his gordo in three different manners.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The FGC and Smash communities intertwine a lot and most are cool with the idea.

Some are trolls AKA the Mahvel community and some just hate how childish the Smash community (roster complaints, not knowing a difference between a clone and original character 'Ken is a Ryu clone' and how most FGC members can transfer into a new game, Smash sticks to a 13 year old one and would trash and screw the other parts of the community; #OneFamily BS after APEX this year).

FGC at most will count Smash as one of them but call them babies because how they act and will call out BS when they see it

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I kinda want to see this song added to Smash Bros when Ryu arrives:

To be honest it's the only song I remember from playing Street Fighter 4 on the 3DS.

I'm sure it's not a favourite among Street Fighter fans and won't make an appearance though. Bring on the Street Fighter tunes I have never heard of before. :b:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I kinda want to see this song added to Smash Bros when Ryu arrives:

To be honest it's the only song I remember from playing Street Fighter 4 on the 3DS.

I'm sure it's not a favourite among Street Fighter fans and won't make an appearance though. Bring on the Street Fighter tunes I have never heard of before. :b:
Isn't Overpass a stage played often? If so, the music is kinda iconic.

Personally, I'd like to see Chun-Li's theme. Considering we'll probably get Ryu's stage from SFII, I guess that Akuma's Theme works well too.
Guile's theme is obviously a choice that they can't forget.

A remix of the SFII opening theme would be nice too!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
We need more Ryu themes.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
You guys, think about this, if Nintendo VS Capcom ever did happen we could have Wonder Red VS Viewtful Joe, or Captain Falcon VS Captain Commando, or Gannondorf VS Demitri, K.Rool VS Zangeif, there are a lot of really cool possibilities (and yes I have always wanted Demitri in a VS game for that one special move he has :p )

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Ryu got a lot of good rearranges of his Theme from Street Fighter II (and btw, his home stage on there is called Suzaku Castle/Temple.. not simply "Japan". XD); but some other musics he got in some specifics circumstances were generally pretty awesome too!.. In the first MvC for example, was an amazing remix of the Street Fighter II title screen. :3 (also, his theme on Street Fighter EX3 is sick; which I used first in the video);

speaking about the video; anyone has something to add, comment? I hope that can be useful for further references;

You guys, think about this, if Nintendo VS Capcom ever did happen we could have Wonder Red VS Viewtful Joe, or Captain Falcon VS Captain Commando, or Gannondorf VS Demitri, K.Rool VS Zangeif, there are a lot of really cool possibilities (and yes I have always wanted Demitri in a VS game for that one special move he has :p )
well, Demitri was in SvC Chaos =P... (even if this game kinda sucks XD ).. BUT I totally support Nintendo vs. Capcom;.. but maybe not now,... would be impactful for Smash4 and its DLCs

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
well, Demitri was in SvC Chaos =P... (even if this game kinda sucks XD ).. BUT I totally support Nintendo vs. Capcom;.. but maybe not now,... would be impactful for Smash4 and its DLCs
Not really, a Nintendo Vs Capcom game would be very different in playstyle than smash, and definitely not appeal to all of the Smash userbase, add to that most people who were/are going to get smash won't really be effected by it, just like they wouldn't be effected by a Pokken Tournament release/announcement. All three games appeal to different groups, but what NVSC could bring is an exclusive that would appeal to the MVSC crowd, along with a lot of Nintendo fans. All three games bring different things to the table, and all three happening would be a great bolster to the wii-u's library. also NVsC being announced alongside Ryu and other Smash DLC at E3(like the first ballot pick and new stages) would be a massive boom, and both would help each other

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
I would love to see Ryu in smash. I love fighting games in general and Ryu is THE WORLD WARRIOR for pete's sake. I swear some smash players don't even recognize other fighting games.

Vineyard Vines

Smash Rookie
For the stage, Ken's Alpha 2 theme, his Super Turbo HD Remix theme, and Sakura's EX3 theme are must haves. Also maybe Dudley's 3rd Strike theme.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I'm just having trouble thinking of the last special and Final Smash. Hadouken, Shoryuken, and Tatsumaki Senpukyaku are obvious choices. Maybe a stronger variant of the Hadouken like Shinku? His aerials, tilts, jabs, and smashes could all be derived from his Light, Medium, and Heavy attacks.

I would really like to see him bring along Sakura's theme. Guiles theme wasn't that interesting to me and I wouldn't mind not seeing it included.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Hadouken? More like HaDON'Tken... get it... because... never mind...

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm just having trouble thinking of the last special and Final Smash. Hadouken, Shoryuken, and Tatsumaki Senpukyaku are obvious choices. Maybe a stronger variant of the Hadouken like Shinku? His aerials, tilts, jabs, and smashes could all be derived from his Light, Medium, and Heavy attacks.

I would really like to see him bring along Sakura's theme. Guiles theme wasn't that interesting to me and I wouldn't mind not seeing it included.
B: Hadouken
Side B: Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Down B: FOCUS ATTACK (Or Donkey kick. lol)
Up B: SHORYUKEN!

Final Smash Choices: Evil Ryu/Satsui No Hadou or The Kamehameha version of the Hadouken from MVC.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Project M's Lucario was inspired by mechanics of traditional fighting games, was it not?

I wonder maybe if Ryu could work similar, as in constantly attacking the enemy would cause a meter of some sorts to fill up (sort of like Little Mac's KO Bar) and when its completely filled, Ryu could gain access to stronger attacks.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
You have to have Hadouken mapped to Side B so that you can do light and heavy variants (blue and red fireballs). All his specials, save for Focus Attack would have light and heavy variants.

B: Focus Attack
Side B: Hadouken (tilt = slow blue, tap = fast red)
Down B: Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (tilt = slow short, tap = fast far)
Up B: Shoryuken (tilt = short weak, tap = high strong)

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
One of my favorite versions of Ryu's Theme is the one from NAMCO X Capcom (which is also in Project X Zone, but downgraded due the "MIDI" quality of the game :\/ );

Also, sometime ago, I made this for SSBC team; could be a plausible concept for, at very least, Suzaku Castle OMEGA;

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
B: Hadouken
Side B: Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Down B: FOCUS ATTACK (Or Donkey kick. lol)
Up B: SHORYUKEN!

Final Smash Choices: Evil Ryu/Satsui No Hadou or The Kamehameha version of the Hadouken from MVC.
This is my favorite moveset for Ryu. I do hope that they take a page out of Greninja/Sakura's book and give him a chargeable hadoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom