• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So, since Sakurai wants to add as many characters as possible now, who would you want to be a second Street Fighter rep if we somehow got a second one? (Doubt it'd happen but still)
Definitely Chun-Li. Not because she is the other main representant, but because she is the first fighting game character I played.

Steelia

Smash Champion
The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of Ryu being in Smash. When first hearing about him, I was pretty indifferent, even mildly disappointed. But once getting past the "Capcom having 2 reps?" phase, it's now the "HADOKENSHORYUKENTATATSHOHDAOFEHAFYUKEN" phase. I really enjoy playing Little Mac, and if Ryu's anything like that, I'm gonna love playing as him.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, one's karate, one's boxing. I mean... I think people are expecting Ryu to have a similar playstyle to Mac, strong on the ground, but suffers in the air. But I think Ryu will be balanced like he's supposed to be in each game he's in? Not very special in any way and no gimmicks, just holds his own well in any situation.
I kinda expect Ryu to be...yeah, that. Not 'phenomenal' at anything, but very solid at everything. A good response to pretty much any situation.

Oh! And I got a new down-b idea: Parry. Like from Street Fighter 3! Not really a counter, more like...Olimar's down-b in Brawl. It just lets him avoid taking any knockback from a predictable attack.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I watched a video today that, the guy who was talking, first admitted that he isn't a Street Fighter fan and doesn't know too much about the character and the series in a whole.... said that expect Ryu to be a mix of Little Mac and Captain Falcon. lol... I don't know exactly from where people are taking those references;.. if there's a character that plays slightly similar to Ryu in the Smash cast, is Mario (for obvious reasons), and yet, I don't expect anything like a similar playstyle for Ryu...

Sure they would still share some common moves (uppercuts, spinning the fists/feet and throwing projectiles), but there's enough bases to make Ryu a very unique character in Smash;.. even with a gimmick working similar to the Power Meter, like in my idea, would still result in something completely different.. by far an another metagame. Heck, even without ANY kind of specific mechanic or gimmick like the EX Gauge, he would still have a ton of possibilities for the sake of variety;

-- Moreover, he has a legacy of games that few characters in Smash has (even the most consecrated in the cast), an enormous quantity of appearences with so many variations of playstile through the ages; He's even somehow flexible (until certain limit, of course) to have some new attacks made up just for Smash; =P

With all that said; I CAN understand why people are having strange interpretations of Ryu's potential as a character in Smash... =P.. because of this I made my moveset, the video of his story, and plan to do some other things too.. He's a very popular character and the mass knows what he does; but some other people, more focused in other genres, or never been fan of other Fighting Games aside Smash, seems to have a little issue in visualize all this gigantic potential. Can't blame them, though... It's normal when you're not familiarized with a character or series;.. I know 'cause I passed the same thing with Shulk... =P (though he's not nearly as popular) and I understood better with him in the game anyway.... since, I wasn't visiting frequently his support thread here..

Hope that until Ryu's announcement at E3 (hopefully), we can help people to understand better the character portrayal. =)

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, he should be quite different. Also, thinking of him in smash...he must be a fast-faller, right?
And a weight somewhere between Ganon and Falcon.
Yknow, I can see his rolls being forward and back dashes, like in street fighter, when you double tap forward or back.
But Ryu's run... I can easily imagine his walk, and his walk speed must be pretty good, but for an actual run... I guess they'll havta pull from one of those Street Fighter animated movies?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Ryu runs in the Capcom vs. SNK series and Street Fighter X Tekken (I mean, he has a running animation). :\/

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ryu runs in the Capcom vs. SNK series and Street Fighter X Tekken (I mean, he has a running animation). :\/
Oh? I have SFxT, played it a bunch for a week or two and can't remember that at all...when does he run in battle? Is it a cutscene...? Oh! Or when he's tagged in? Oh okay, that could work I guess! Would havta slow it down a bit haha

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Yes, exactly this time! When he's tagged in or out; XD... and looking for it, it's an exact replica of his running animation in CvS; pretty cool! So, he'll probably run that way in Smash4; =P.

I think he also runs in Super Gem Fighters Mini Mix with a similar animation; but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Victory Pose :

Taunt :

Kirby :
I don't think my heart can take hearing cute little Shoto Kirby yell "Hadouken!". Every time I play with Kirby on For Fun I'm going to team with the first Ryu I see.

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps he can have a combo meter that fills up after an attack, but drains quickly after, meaning he has to combo to fill it up?

Also, Zangief is better. Who else will crush man's skull like sparrow's egg between thighs?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
So, here I am again bringing something visual for to help our imagination! =) .. As I did for K. Rool, a comparison size with the Smash4 cast and a set of Alt Colors;

For Ryu's size, I imagined him actually same of Captain Falcon.. after all, they're both adult male humans with large muscles. =P... and the the colors that I chose, are very self explanatory; .. As always, Hope you enjoy, ^^

and in case you missed something; here is a list of everything done until now for Ryu:
Ryu Story on Nintendo (Video):

Example of a Suzaku Castle Stage:
http://smashboards.com/threads/hadouken-ryu-for-smash-bros.341804/page-8#post-19020072

Some personal selection of music:
http://smashboards.com/threads/hadouken-ryu-for-smash-bros.341804/page-9#post-19022873

Finally united in the battlefield! (reference to XMvsSF):

My proposed moveset:

A single image explaining the EX Gauge:

D

Deleted member

Here's what I've come up with for some of his moveset if they stick to Street Fighter 2 only.

:GCB:Hadouken
:GCR::GCB:Shakunetsu Hadoken or Faster Hadouken
:GCD::GCB:Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
:GCU::GCB: Shoryuken

:GCA:Light Punch
Forward Tilt - High Kick
This is because it has the longest range and would fit the move more than his other ones.
Back Throw - Either of his throws from Street Fighter 2
Down Tilt - Crouching Low Kick

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
There's no way they're keeping his moveset *only* SF2. They don't do that for any of the other characters. All of them have stuff from multiple entries in their series, not just one (except in the cases where they only have one appearance in the series).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's no way they're keeping his moveset *only* SF2. They don't do that for any of the other characters. All of them have stuff from multiple entries in their series, not just one (except in the cases where they only have one appearance in the series).
Dunno, I mean they're using his Street Fighter 2 theme, and Street Fighter 2 was what started the fighting game craze and also Sakurai use to play Street Fighter 2 competitively while 2 being the last time Street fighter was really popular on a Nintendo console.

Besides, he doesn't have much since then if we're referring to the Street Fighter series. He has:

Donkey Kick
Ultras / Specials
Focus Attack
EX Meter

Donkey Kick I could possibly see, Ultras / Specials would be stuck to Final Smash, Focus Attack would be far too OP and we already have Smash attacks which charge. For EX meter, since they did add Monado Arts and KO Punch they might put this, but at the same time it seems a bit much.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
[...]while 2 being the last time Street fighter was really popular on a Nintendo console..
Actually was Super Street Fighter IV; .. the thing was huge, and is still one of the best selling 3DS games; It's amazing;

Yeah, I think the chances are very slim having Ryu only based on SFII;.. not only because he's very limited there, but as I keep saying, Ryu evoluted very well and has a modern and established image very well recieved (much like Sonic, I guess.... [even though I personally don't like it =P ])... AND there's the point that adding a character on game means that the character will need to attract (primarily) its own fans.. and I doubt that people would be pleased with a retro Ryu. =P

I mean,.. there's some people like Maximillian Dood cheering for it, but let's face that most of Street Fighter players wouldn't be interested in a downgraded Ryu... And one of the best appeals of a crossover is also exchanging interest of players and enthusiasts between series; and I don't see this happening with heavy SFII influence (but of course there will be some; I'm just expecting something very balanced in cohesion of modern appearances)

the musics being CPS2 means nothing; almost every character recieves a throwback like that 'cause nostalgia. Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, etc =P.. I trust in the best; .. the overall reaction of a SFII Ryu would be probably something like that \/

XD

------
but btw, people.. any thoughts on the alt colors and the size comparison I made?

Last edited:

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Ryu's custom specials could be different character's variations of the attack, like if Ryu has his Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, one of his custom specials could be the Dankukyaku.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
If Mewtwo is any indication; DLC characters don't have any Custom Moves available; :\/

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
yeah, I know about the hidden data and the glitches;.. but I'm not betting that we'll have those finished someday. But would be very cool! Principally by bringing Ryu new possibilities.. like moves from the other Ansatsuken fighters, or even new variations of his Specials not present in his EX Specials; =)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Here's what I've come up with for some of his moveset if they stick to Street Fighter 2 only.

:GCB:Hadouken
:GCR::GCB:Shakunetsu Hadoken or Faster Hadouken
:GCD::GCB:Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
:GCU::GCB: Shoryuken

:GCA:Light Punch
Forward Tilt - High Kick
This is because it has the longest range and would fit the move more than his other ones.
Back Throw - Either of his throws from Street Fighter 2
Down Tilt - Crouching Low Kick
Having two special moves mapped to the Hadouken is a massive waste in my opinion - if you want multiple speeds this can still be implemented very easily.

PsychoJosh

Dunno, I mean they're using his Street Fighter 2 theme, and Street Fighter 2 was what started the fighting game craze and also Sakurai use to play Street Fighter 2 competitively while 2 being the last time Street fighter was really popular on a Nintendo console.
Using that logic Mario should only have moves from SMB1 since his victory music is only from that game. He shouldn't have FLUDD or his cape.

Besides, he doesn't have much since then if we're referring to the Street Fighter series. He has:

Donkey Kick
Ultras / Specials
Focus Attack
EX Meter

Donkey Kick I could possibly see, Ultras / Specials would be stuck to Final Smash, Focus Attack would be far too OP and we already have Smash attacks which charge. For EX meter, since they did add Monado Arts and KO Punch they might put this, but at the same time it seems a bit much.
Focus attack would be OP in what way? Lucina/Marth already have a shield breaker move, this would basically be the same thing. He'd be committed to doing it so you could just grab him out of it. You have two of his specials mapped to fireballs which doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't his forward B just be the mule kick? The EX meter won't be a "bit much" as it only lends to making him a more unique fighter. Given the tendencies of most zoner characters in this game to launch multiple projectiles, Ryu only has one, so I don't see him being as effective a zoner as say, Megaman or Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I think the reason people compare little mac and Ryu in the same section is that both Little Mac and Ryu [if he appears] are great for simple combo making. While almost any character's moves can combo into eachother Ryu and Mac seem built for combining lower damaging moves into large percents and then death. Interestingly enough the post above makes me think that Ryu's EX meter could work like Little Mac's power gauge. I dont know if DLC characters will have custom moves or not, but Ryu woudl have alot of easy alternates.
Ex
base tatsumaki
multi hit Tatsumaki [ken]
Electric Tatsumaki [Akuma]
Whirlwind Kick [The Hado Mode special in UMVC3]

Hadoken
Flame hadoken
Hado repeater [from UMVC3]
Charged Hadoken [like Lucario, mewtwo, Samus, and Most characters.... aCTUALLY this idea was handed to me by my sister who asked me about which attacks would cancel the other a fully charged Lucario or a full charged Mewtwo shot.]

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Hadouken (fires a small blast)

Shakunetsu Hadouken (a slower projectile with less range that explodes on contact for 2 hits)

Denjin Hadouken (a charge for more power Hodouken)

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (moves Ryu foward in a 3 hit attack and can be used to recover)

Shinku Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (is idol but creates a vacuum that sucks people in and does more hits)

Shin Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (Has more lag but does massive amounts of damage and has hitbox that covers his entire body and can move slightly left or right)

Shoryuken (An uppercut that has super armor throughout the hit)

Metsu Shoryuken (a 3 hit combo that while on the ground that does not have super armor but only activates if the 1st hit connects)

Shoryureppa (charges forward doing 3 uppercuts, powerful but not cannot be canceled)

Hanagashi (A low lag parry that blocks single hit moves and can be acted out of quickly)

Isshin (A counter that has lots of horizontal knockback)

Tesshin (A parry then an automatic attack that hits 3 times. It doesn't kill but racks up a lot of damage)

Final Smash: Shin Hadoken (Not just your ordinary giant laser, this one fires at an angle and bounces off the side stage borders)

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I've been thinking... isn't weird that Ryu wasn't revealed straight away with the Project X Zone 2 announcement? ... I mean, he was kinda the sub-protagonist from the first game and NAMCO X Capcom (just behind of the original characters Reiji and Xiaomu, which was given more importance)... And his partners Akira and Jin were already revealed..

Does this have something to do with his reveal in Smash4 at E3? maybe an Amiibo functionality? (I was expecting something like that to Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man Amiibos for this game.. but with Ryu on the way, the things kinda changes a bit)...

Also, there's a possibility of some new game starring Ryu coming to Nintendo systems;.. a lot of people are putting their bets on Nintendo vs. Capcom, but I don't... (but trust me, I'd love to see that).. maybe an Ultra Street Fighter IV port to Wii U, or the New 3DS (since the SSFIV on the original 3DS handled so well, and the amount of extra content in Ultra would just run fine on the N3DS).

but I still think is weird that we didn't see him on PXZ2.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I've been thinking... isn't weird that Ryu wasn't revealed straight away with the Project X Zone 2 announcement? ... I mean, he was kinda the sub-protagonist from the first game and NAMCO X Capcom (just behind of the original characters Reiji and Xiaomu, which was given more importance)... And his partners Akira and Jin were already revealed..

Does this have something to do with his reveal in Smash4 at E3? maybe an Amiibo functionality? (I was expecting something like that to Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man Amiibos for this game.. but with Ryu on the way, the things kinda changes a bit)...

Also, there's a possibility of some new game starring Ryu coming to Nintendo systems;.. a lot of people are putting their bets on Nintendo vs. Capcom, but I don't... (but trust me, I'd love to see that).. maybe an Ultra Street Fighter IV port to Wii U, or the New 3DS (since the SSFIV on the original 3DS handled so well, and the amount of extra content in Ultra would just run fine on the N3DS).

but I still think is weird that we didn't see him on PXZ2.
I'm thinking we'll see him E3 since he's such an iconic character in general. EVO possibly, but I wouldn't put my hopes up.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
probably;
but I'm just wondering about his (for now) absence in Project X Zone 2.. this must have something to do with Smash4; principally if we don't get any new game with Ryu on Nintendo Systems, they would want to save him to reveal everything on Smash4 and PXZ2 at the same presentation.

D

Deleted member

Using that logic Mario should only have moves from SMB1 since his victory music is only from that game. He shouldn't have FLUDD or his cape.
Keep in mind that I said "if" in my initial statement. My initial post wasn't meant to turn into some debate just as a demonstration of what if they use Street Fighter 2. I also feel you're ignoring a bit of other points I've made that will probably decide most of his design.

Either way, I'm not saying music is the sole reason, I'm saying there are a lot of things here that would lead me to believe (especially with how Smash does things), that Ryu is going to be Street Fighter 2 styled.

Kokonoe said:
PsychoJosh said:
Focus attack would be OP in what way? Lucina/Marth already have a shield breaker move, this would basically be the same thing. He'd be committed to doing it so you could just grab him out of it.
Focus Attack has Super Armor unlike Shield Breaker and adds stuns without being fully charged. I'd say these two in tandem are significantly better. They'd have to remove Super Armor and the stun effect and essentially make it just like Shield Breaker.

You have two of his specials mapped to fireballs which doesn't make any sense.
Having two special moves mapped to the Hadouken is a massive waste in my opinion - if you want multiple speeds this can still be implemented very easily.
Sonic has this with Spin Dash and Spin Charge. It actually makes sense in that if you're trying to emulate how he feels in the original games, except with the lack of stick movements, you would have to generally set it to a separate input to compensate. Having Ryu charge the blast would be out of character. Unless there is another way I'm not thinking of, this was all I could come up with.

Why wouldn't his forward B just be the mule kick?
I said earlier I said I could see them using the donkey kick as a move, however the donkey kick is not in street fighter 2 and thus isn't on my list I made earlier. This also wasn't intended to be a debate.

The EX meter won't be a "bit much" as it only lends to making him a more unique fighter. Given the tendencies of most zoner characters in this game to launch multiple projectiles, Ryu only has one, so I don't see him being as effective a zoner as say, Megaman or Duck Hunt.
I still feel like compared to mechanics in the game it seems like a bit more over the top for Smash Bros, I find it hard believing they'll actually put that in the game without changing it up.

I trust in the best; .. the overall reaction of a SFII Ryu would be probably something like that \/
Will it really, though? Street Fighter II is beloved by many, I doubt people will not play Ryu if his design or his moveset is more tailored around Street Fighter 2. At the same time, Ryu's overall moveset is generally the same in the street fighter series with slight differences and some hairstyle changes and subtle changes.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I met someone today who said that SFII Ryu would be ugly in 3D.

Original, SUPER, and Remastered art of SFII Ryu. So i don't see how Nintendo will have trouble making a 3D version.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Will it really, though? Street Fighter II is beloved by many, I doubt people will not play Ryu if his design or his moveset is more tailored around Street Fighter 2. At the same time, Ryu's overall moveset is generally the same in the street fighter series with slight differences and some hairstyle changes and subtle changes.
Within the context I said, yes, probably, without a doubt. XD; Not because Street Fighter II isn't beloved (and it is), but there's many other ways to appeal nostalgia and add throwbacks without limiting and/or downgrading the character.. As I said, I trust in the best; Something very balanced.. Not exaggerated in the bases of any game. A perfect hybrid; after all, all the characters in Smash celebrates their own story of games. =)

I met someone today who said that SFII Ryu would be ugly in 3D.

Original, SUPER, and Remastered art of SFII Ryu. So i don't see how Nintendo will have trouble making a 3D version.
His appearance in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is pretty much what I think how a perfect 3D Model could be for Ryu (even though the quality of the models in this game is very low)... in MvC3 and SFIV he was prejudiced by the artstyle and/or the graphic engine; but even this one in TvC, uses his SFIII design.. is being the definitive since its debut in 1997, with very few exceptions.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I really hope they don't make him a 2D sprite like some people have suggested. That would be stupid and pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom