• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Guide] Built With Courage: The Smash 4 Link Analysis Thread

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, I'm mostly happy about the first hit in his F-Smash being a stunner while the second hit is the true smasher. Makes it a much more viable move and makes it equal to Toon Link's.

Plus, he can get some air with his Up-B now.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I've been playing the demo a lot today and I must say Link is my favourite of the 5 available chars. I've never liked Link but he's really buffed now, a lot faster and has a lot more options overall. Running attack does A LOT of knockback but has a also a lot of ending lag, but can be used in combo's as showed here by Zero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxyehbGJcig

Overall Link has surprised me and I wouldn't surprise if I end up maining him in the end. :)

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
I've been playing the demo a lot today and I must say Link is my favourite of the 5 available chars. I've never liked Link but he's really buffed now, a lot faster and has a lot more options overall. Running attack does A LOT of knockback but has a also a lot of ending lag, but can be used in combo's as showed here by Zero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxyehbGJcig

Overall Link has surprised me and I wouldn't surprise if I end up maining him in the end. :)
Link was my Melee main. Eepeepomg. Is anyone seeing this? This rendition truly is shaping up to be the best Link yet.
*imagines him in the hands of HDL* *droolz*

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Is Demo info needed here? If so, I got some (as a Link main I played like only Link while testing...):

Link's Z-Air is amazing. So much range, ok knockback. And you can spam it, so its good for spacing.
It hits twice on its peak. The Chain itself does no damage. It autocancles and is very good for combos, Zair to jab works always, for example. You can also move left and right while zairing, so spacing with it is really easy.
Also, the ether has ok to good range, quite nice for recovery.
Zair also cancles airdodge, how it did in the past.
If you carry the item, using zair will input zair AND drop the item. Thats like... godlike. I imagine edgeguarding with this willbe a thing. Jumping over the edge with a bomb, and grabbing the edge while letting the bomb fall down sounds cool.
Airdodge before the zair, and you won't drop the bomb. So Aridodge->zair->Bombthrow is still a thing.
Oh and droppig Bombs and Zairing will NOT hurt you. So you can do a 2 hit combo, where Zair and Bomb hit at the same time.
Thats sooooo amazing.

His grab seems to have good range, but it has not. Only about 80% of the clashots length actually grab. Tha looks really confusing sometimes. Or maybe the game just messes with me, the grab seems to work kinda strange.

Bombs explode after about 4 seconds. They start blinking red after 1. Thats extremly confusing. Theyre still a really good projectile. 5% damage. Reverse throwing is possible. Out of the run, you can throw the bomb and chain it into the dashattack. thats a good killing move. Dropping bombs low will cause them not to explode. Regrabing and throwing them or setting up traps is quite possible.

Boomerang works fine, good up and down angle, 7% damage. The Wind carries youre enemie alot. I like that.

Arrows are good. They go quite far even uncharged. Not much knockback, but they kill charged in sudden death.
Arrowcanceling (shortening lagg) is not possible, or at least I can't pull it off. Reverse B / turnarround arrows are still possible.

Up special is ok, good killing power. It works out for him.

As mentioned by others, his dash attack is good.

Utilt is really fast, good combo move, down tilt can spike. Ftilt has really good range (even above Link)

Fsmash seems bad. The two hit auto connect quite long. The first hit doesnt kill very good. Second hit has good Killing power.
I think its hard to hit.
The three hits of the Usmash connect quite good. Ok KO power.
Downsmash is like.. bad. I cant hit anybody with this.

Jab is good. Especially jab-cancel. Like Jab-Jab-UpB

Nair is ok. Long startup, but its good for followups. Shff ana is the way to go.
Bair is amazing, as always.
Fair is Ok, seems hard to hit. Long warm up.
UAair is Ok, makes up for star KO, but much lagg and delay. And hard to hit.
Dair spike is kinda cool. Still much lagg if you miss. Hits twice.

His throws are good. Dthrow makes up for good combos, Upthrow gets your enemie in the air. Theyre like theyve been before.

Link feels overall really good. Hes fast, has good KO, has combos, good projectiles, his ridiculus Zair (I love this move...).
However, all his moves have strange hitboxes, I still got a hard time hitting with most. Maybe thats just lack of experience.
He survives quite long, but seems to have trouble killing his oponent (or maybe I'm just not good enough.)

Ok, thats all for now. If I got anything knew I'll write it somewhere down. Oh and sorry for my bad english, I'm not really an english speaker^^

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I am liking these new link posts about the demo.How is the bow and arrow?

SpLSlick

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpLSlick
3DS FC
3540-1397-4329
Is Demo info needed here? If so, I got some (as a Link main I played like only Link while testing...):

Link's Z-Air is amazing. So much range, ok knockback. And you can spam it, so its good for spacing.
It hits twice on its peak. The Chain itself does no damage. It autocancles and is very good for combos, Zair to jab works always, for example. You can also move left and right while zairing, so spacing with it is really easy.
If you carry the item, using zair will input zair AND drop the item. Thats like... godlike. I imagine edgeguarding with this willbe a thing. Jumping over the edge with a bomb, and grabbing the edge while letting the bomb fall down sounds cool.
Airdodge before the zair, and you won't drop the bomb. So Aridodge->zair->Bombthrow is still a thing.
Oh and droppig Bombs and Zairing will NOT hurt you. So you can do a 2 hit combo, where Zair and Bomb hit at the same time.
Thats sooooo amazing.

His grab seems to have good range, but it has not. Only about 80% of the clashots length actually grab. Tha looks really confusing sometimes. Or maybe the game just messes with me, the grab seems to work kinda strange.

Bombs explode after about 4 seconds. They start blinking red after 1. Thats extremly confusing. Theyre still a really good projectile. 5% damage. Reverse throwing is possible. Out of the run, you can throw the bomb and chain it into the dashattack. thats a good killing move. Dropping bombs low will cause them not to explode. Regrabing and throwing them or setting up traps is quite possible.

Boomerang works fine, good up and down angle, 7% damage. The Wind carries youre enemie alot. I like that.

Arrows are good. They go quite far even uncharged. Not much knockback, but they kill charged in sudden death.
Arrowcanceling (shortening lagg) is not possible, or at least I can't pull it off. Reverse B / turnarround arrows are still possible.

Utilt is really fast, good combo move, down tilt can spike. Ftilt has really good range (even above Link)

Fsmash seems bad. The two hit auto connect quite long. The first hit doesnt kill very good. Second hit has good Killing power.
I think its hard to hit.

Nair is ok. Long startup, but its good for followups. Shff ana is the way to go.

His throws are good. Dthrow makes up for good combos, Upthrow gets your enemie in the air. Theyre like theyve been before.

Link feels overall really good. Hes fast, has good KO, has combos, good projectiles, his ridiculus Zair (I love this move...).
However, all his moves have strange hitboxes, I still got a hard time hitting with most. Maybe thats just lack of experience.
He survives quite long, but seems to have trouble killing his oponent (or maybe I'm just not good enough.)

Ok, thats all for now. If I got anything knew I'll write it somewhere down. Oh and sorry for my bad english, I'm not really an english speaker^^
If you don't mind me asking, what is Zair?

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11

Thats sooooo amazing.

I think its hard to hit.

Thanks for the info! Link is looking better and better. Bomb jump being back is really great for his recovery options.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
If you don't mind me asking, what is Zair?
Zair is simply pressing the Z or grab button in the air. Mostly used for spacing as Short Hop Zair.

Edit: Sorry about the double post!

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015

Thats sooooo amazing.

I think its hard to hit.

Link's Dsmash isn't bad though. It's a great kill move, as shown by Zero (the back hit sends people flying horizontally at 8:50).
His side smash isn't bad, either. The second hit comes right after the first one (both hits can connect), and the second hit has killing power. Your update seems pretty inaccurate in some cases (nair has almost no startup, lol), although there's truth in there.

Last edited:

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Link's Dsmash isn't bad though. It's a great kill move, as shown by Zero His side smash isn't bad, either. The second hit comes right after the first one (both hits can connect), and the second hit has killing power. Your update seems pretty inaccurate in some cases (nair has almost no startup, lol), although there's truth in there.
I said Fsmash second hit has good KO power, and 1st hit connects into the second hit. So yea. Why I think its bad is because i cant hint anybody with it. Maybe its just those Lvl 9 CPU spamming frame perfect rolls all over the place. But yea, it's range seems strange so it's hard to hit. But thats probably just me lacking experience.
Dsmash the same. I said it feels bad cause i can't hit with it. Ikes Fsmash is like a godlike killing move, but its almost impossible to hit. Would you consider that move good? ;)

And yea, I was wrong on the Nair. There is just this strange felling when you use it, it comes out a little bit slower than what you would expect, so it feels really strange. Oh and I was really tierd when I was writing that, so maybe my brain just messed up.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I have to say I'm extremely surprised by the amount of buffs Link has gotten. Looking forward to maining him the way I did in Melee.

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Of the characters I've played so far in the Demo, Link felt the most powerful to me. As a Toon Link main, this gives me chills, guys. Link's Up B is going to be a crazy aerial finisher.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Been playing a lot of Link in the demo. Let me give my basic impressions

The Good
- Link's grab seems to be much better this time. I don't know if it's the speed or something, but it's significantly improved. At some percentages, I was able to SH Fair into a grab, which looks really cool. Dunno if DI will change this, but it was very cool
- Link's dash attack seems like it will be a decent punisher at higher percentages to set up an off-stage situation
- Utilt is pretty quick. Seems like it's a lot more workable
- Fair is AWESOME. Very little landing lag and the first swing comes out pretty fast. It's a lot of fun to use. Bair is the same

The Neutral/Bad
- A lot of Link's attacks have big knockback, so it seems like he has limited combo tools. I need to experiment more with these moves though (mostly his tilts barring Utilt)

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge Link player, but I played a bit of him in Brawl and Melee and he's a lot different.

rsniteblaze

Smash Rookie
Someone pointed out that Link's Hylian Shield blocks Megaman's F-Smash.

I'm playing the demo right now and I just wanted to point out that standing Hylian Shield also blocks Villager's F-Smash, dash attack, F-Air, Side-B, and the tree from the Down-B. If Villager is really close to Link, then all those moves can hit him if the projectiles spawn behind the shield (except for maybe the tree).

Crouching ensures protection against Villager's Side-B since it can sometimes explode at Link's feet if he's just standing. After the shield absorbs the hit, then you can just D-Tilt (which got faster) if he's running at you.

It's nothing new or exciting but thought it would be useful for anyone who didn't know. Link is looking like Villager's worst match up right now, unless there's something he can use to approach Link safely.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Haven't got much chance to use him but from what I saw he got a lot of solid buffs and should be a well balanced character.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Thanks for your contributions everyone! I updated the OP to reflect the goal of ongoing information gathering on Link. If you have any info you want to contribute please do so. I'm hoping we can make this the ultimate guide to Link or at least a good place to start!:awesome:

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
I'm lucky enough to have the demo, and I happen tu use Link in every Smash to date, so maybe my impressions would be of use too, so here they go:

• If you thought that Link's F-smash was like Toon Link's, think again! It seems that we'll need to master our tippers, because the tip of the first hit has kill power, just like our old F-Smash.
  • If you cancel the first hit of the bair you can still turn around and jab for a nice combo, just like in brawl. Tried turn around down smash, too and it seems to work as well.
  • Jab canceling is still a thing, the timing is a bit different, but I was able to cancel into grab, up tilt, down smash, and SKRAAA (spin attack), the former might not be as reliable as the others.
  • Fair has so little lag that it's possible to jab, up tilt and stuff on hit, on either hits it seems, same with nair.
  • Zair is still good, no lag whatsoever, so it's possible to use a low start up move, or a grab.
  • The recovery... it's like a dream come true, it's finally decent!
  • Bomb pulling is fast, so that's good. Limited to 2 bombs on screen at a time, and you can't hit them, so no bomb jumping, unless it explodes; which appears to be sooner, might count the seconds and edit later to have that.
  • As others have said, the spin attack seems to be somewhat of a kill move, I got a kill around 130%, not too shabby.
  • Arrows are pretty nice, since the knockback is horizontal, you can use it to snipe opponents that were sent flying horizontally to (maybe, haven't gotten one) score a kill, or at the very least (which I have done), knock them far enough that those without an excellent horizontal recovery won't be able to make it back.
That's what comes to mind at the time, I'll keep playing and post other things that I find. If you want me to try something or have a question, let me know! I'll gladly help my fellow Links.

Dott

Smash Ace
I said Fsmash second hit has good KO power, and 1st hit connects into the second hit. So yea. Why I think its bad is because i cant hint anybody with it. Maybe its just those Lvl 9 CPU spamming frame perfect rolls all over the place. But yea, it's range seems strange so it's hard to hit. But thats probably just me lacking experience.
Dsmash the same. I said it feels bad cause i can't hit with it. Ikes Fsmash is like a godlike killing move, but its almost impossible to hit. Would you consider that move good? ;)

And yea, I was wrong on the Nair. There is just this strange felling when you use it, it comes out a little bit slower than what you would expect, so it feels really strange. Oh and I was really tierd when I was writing that, so maybe my brain just messed up.
Have you tried with a dtilt and then fmash? The scond hit should be the one that connects, and it could do a good amount of damage at early percents.

@ Bravo Bravo could you try to hit someone with zair offstage and then recover with an upb? It could be a nice edgeguard.

Last edited:

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Have you tried with a dtilt and then fmash? The scond hit should be the one that connects, and it could do a good amount of damage at early percents.

@ Bravo Bravo could you try to hit someone with zair offstage and then recover with an upb? It could be a nice edgeguard.
It does work! But it seems that it's only useful if you take away the opponent's second jump either before or with the zair, tested it against Mario; guessing that it wouldn't gimp a Villager or someone with a good recovery. I zaired as I was double jumping, and after that I was indeed able to get back to safety with the up b

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
LINK CAN BOMB JUMP IN THIS GAME. No kidding. However, it doesn't work like in previous games. I saw ZeRo do it on his stream. Apparently you need to time it right. You can't get hit by your own bombs, but they have a lot of blast range, so it's easy to up b into it.

*edit: Either that, or you need to hit the bomb with Link's sword with up b, but I'm not entirely sure.​

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
LINK CAN BOMB JUMP IN THIS GAME. No kidding. However, it doesn't work like in previous games. I saw ZeRo do it on his stream. Apparently you need to time it right. You can't get hit by your own bombs, but they have a lot of blast range, so it's easy to up b into it.

*edit: Either that, or you need to hit the bomb with Link's sword with up b, but I'm not entirely sure.​
Hitting the bomb with up b does not cause it to explode. You can always just hold the bomb too. Don't have to throw it.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Hitting the bomb with up b does not cause it to explode. You can always just hold the bomb too. Don't have to throw it.
I see. But throwing the bomb allows for better mix-ups and isn't that difficult to do, as the blast has more range in the air.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481

Link is very good. From the demo, his back air and forward air have close to no lag, even if the attack isn't finished, the forward air has no lag. Up air, more lag, Down air first part spikes, acts a lot like TL's. D tilt string up combos, down throw not so much, though it can link to dash attack. Not confirmed, but it happened to me: weak part of nair tripped Mario. Can anyone reenact? No success right now. Maybe low chances, like 10%. Down smash is a viable killing move and bomb jump is difficult but possible. I think I glide tossed a bomb up, because I got some horizontal distance.

Dott

Smash Ace
It does work! But it seems that it's only useful if you take away the opponent's second jump either before or with the zair, tested it against Mario; guessing that it wouldn't gimp a Villager or someone with a good recovery. I zaired as I was double jumping, and after that I was indeed able to get back to safety with the up b
Can you do it under the stage? i mean in this areas.

The procces i'm thinking would be:Run offstage+ jump back as you use the zair+upb. I don't know if it could be useful, seems like players don't get into that area too much when knocked offstage. Even with a second jump could be difficult to them to come back.

Also, d-tilt + fsmash, the second hit should be the one that hit.

That's all i have to ask

Last edited:

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Just a side note in case no one has mentioned it; the back-slice of his down smash now has the same meteor-like effect that Link's spin attack used to have in Melee.
It now sends opponents flying far to the side instead of straight up.
Useful info for his edge-guarding game.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
From what I've read, I have incredible high expectations of Link in this game. Though my biggest concern is whether or his Up-B spin attack or not.

Link doesn't have to be top or high tier for me, I just need him to be good like he is in Project M. I prefer using a seldom used character, and ****** people who like to exploit high tiers just to increase their performances in tournaments

I will also like to state that I'm going to be the best Link in Smash 4. Calling it now. I will money match anybody who doubts otherwise
You can keep the money off the table, but I'll gladly take that bet, since it's my goal too and the more rivals I have the more powerful I can become.^_-

Honestly, I'm mostly happy about the first hit in his F-Smash being a stunner while the second hit is the true smasher. Makes it a much more viable move and makes it equal to Toon Link's.

Just FYI...
It's a stunner without charge, but if you charge it up the first hit can launch a bit too, even at moderately low percentages, whereas without the charge it will normally stun even at mid-level damage ranges and only launches uncharged at really high percents.
Of course, that might be an effect of tipping; I don't know yet. I'll have to see if tipping has been applied to Link's F-smash.
If it has, then the already-spacing-focused Link has just gained a powerful new tool.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Link is very good. From the demo, his back air and forward air have close to no lag, even if the attack isn't finished, the forward air has no lag. Up air, more lag, Down air first part spikes, acts a lot like TL's. D tilt string up combos, down throw not so much, though it can link to dash attack. Not confirmed, but it happened to me: weak part of nair tripped Mario. Can anyone reenact? No success right now. Maybe low chances, like 10%. Down smash is a viable killing move and bomb jump is difficult but possible. I think I glide tossed a bomb up, because I got some horizontal distance.
Don't you need the c-stick to AGT? But if it's possible...oh boy.
You can keep the money off the table, but I'll gladly take that bet, since it's my goal too and the more rivals I have the more powerful I can become.^_-

Just FYI...
It's a stunner without charge, but if you charge it up the first hit can launch a bit too, even at moderately low percentages, whereas without the charge it will normally stun even at mid-level damage ranges and only launches uncharged at really high percents.
Of course, that might be an effect of tipping; I don't know yet. I'll have to see if tipping has been applied to Link's F-smash.
If it has, then the already-spacing-focused Link has just gained a powerful new tool.
Whoa. If Link has a tipper on his Fsmash, Marth officially sucks lol. But in all seriousness, that's a genius move by the dev team. It would make it useful as a kill move and a conversion into fsmash.

Last edited:

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman

Whoa. If Link has a tipper on his Fsmash, Marth officially sucks lol. But in all seriousness, that's a genius move by the dev team. It would make it useful as a kill move and a conversion into fsmash.
Well, I've been playing against the CPU's so testing it is a bit difficult, but so far, it seems I can confirm that the first slash of the two does have a tipper effect.
Hit with the middle and it'll put them up into the air a little bit to set up the second slash, but hit them with the tip and watch em' fly away like a home run.
I don't know about the second one having it or not; you'll need to get someone with a buddy and some time on their hands to test whether the second slash has a tipper effect, because the computers just don't stay still long enough for me to do anything useful.XD

ibmutt

Smash Cadet
You can play against a sandbag in the waiting room. Found by clicking: smash / group /Host Game. Select your character and one or more computers. Press start and there you are.

As someone has touched upon, you're invunerable to certain bombs throws. Link is immune to a side thrown bomb in the air or on the ground. He doesn't get hit even if he's standing right next to the target. Perhaps forward throw will be a useful out of shield option. Or a combo starter at low percents.

He's not immune to down thrown bomb. He's immune when he throws the bomb up on the ground. I haven't tested the air. On return, the now falling bomb can hit you.

You can throw bombs on to platforms or stage. Throwing bombs, just before link's head is level with the practice stage or platform, means the bombs rest a short distance from Link. It seems useful for counter measure to edge guarding.

Even for down thrown bombs, in the air I could be much closer to the explosion than I thought before I was hit. Perhaps bomb down throw to aerial is a combo a low percents.

EDIT: for down thrown bombs link is immune if he hits someone with the bomb without the bomb hitting the ground.

Last edited:

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Can you do it under the stage? i mean in this areas.

The procces i'm thinking would be:Run offstage+ jump back as you use the zair+upb. I don't know if it could be useful, seems like players don't get into that area too much when knocked offstage. Even with a second jump could be difficult to them to come back.

Also, d-tilt + fsmash, the second hit should be the one that hit.

That's all i have to ask
That's the area where I did it, jump offstage, the incoming Mario was below stage level, zaired him facing away from the ledge, and then up b to recover. Did I get it right? I think that a nair is actually better, but the zair does have more range, so I guess that it could be useful too.

Pretty sure that it's a tipper, tested it against sandbags and opponents alike, and not only does it inflict more knockback, it does more damage too (14 if I remember correctly).

Last edited:

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Sorry for the double post

Last edited:

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
Link is awesome this time around

things I noticed after playing with the demo, perhaps most of them are known, but here it is:

- Dair can auto cancel if you do it with full first jump and then dair as soon as you begin your second jump
- turn around arrows if you shoot them like an Reversal Aerial Rush, when you turn around just press b
- dtilt still spikes off stage
- aerial down bomb>footstool>dair still possible, thou iirc footstools can be tech'd, correct me if I am wrong
- Uair can auto cancel if you do it as soon as you leave the floor with a full first jump

that's some things I remember, I guess he won't be bottom tier in this game, I wish ; ~;

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Just a side note in case no one has mentioned it; the back-slice of his down smash now has the same meteor-like effect that Link's spin attack used to have in Melee.
It now sends opponents flying far to the side instead of straight up.
Useful info for his edge-guarding game.
This is Awesome.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Do you guys know of any combos Link might have? I've heard people say he has trouble doing them. And is there any word on his custom specials? Also, please PM me a download code if you have one. I would like to try this stuff out myself. I would really appreciate it.

Top Bottom