• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja Stage Discussion Thread

Which Starter Stage should be discussed first?

• Battlefield/Miiverse

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Smashville

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Final Destination

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Prism Tower is the best stage for Greninja on 3DS imo. The general stage layout and the lips are just something that Greninja takes advantage of so well.

On Wii U, I'd say T&C for reasons I don't need to explain.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I've started to take slightly more of a liking to Lylat Cruise these days. It might limit our shuriken game, but against other characters that have projectiles that go straight ahead like ZSS, Samus, Ness and especially Sheik and Fox then they're also limited by it and depending on the case it might be worth to lose our shuriken game in favor of say, limiting Sheik's needles as well or making ZSS not be able to spam paralyzer too much.

I still need to get more practice on the stage to get better used to the layout and tilting, but it does look to be a lot better for us now that the stage doesn't screw up our recovery as much (it still happens unfortunately >_>).

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Perhaps we should consider what stages we should counter pick some of our worse matchups? Like, maybe :4sheik: dislikes Congo because of how long it takes her to kill there. Sure, it hurts Greninja, but it's also a question of who it hurts more. Since we tend to want to kill off the top against her, I would say Halberd may be a decent choice against her. Lylat may interrupt her Needle game, and I feel that may be worth it hurting our Shuriken game, since they don't matter to us as much as Needles do to her.

As for :4ness: Congo may be a decent choice for the same reason. We live longer from back throw, and we have more places to land and avoid juggles, and circle camp if need be. I feel we get a lot out of edge guards against Ness, and the barrel may get in the way of that, but the added survivability may make this stage a consideration. Town and City is a safer pick, since Greninja can comfortably reach the high platforms. The transformation with the 2 platforms that move horizontally can offer us recovery mixups as well. It might be Greninja's best neutral stage.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Prism Tower is the best stage for Greninja on 3DS imo. The general stage layout and the lips are just something that Greninja takes advantage of so well.

On Wii U, I'd say T&C for reasons I don't need to explain.
Been playing a lot of Prism Tower lately and oh my. This is absolutely the best stage for Greninja on 3DS. It helps that the main platform is soft so you can recover in the middle of the stage. Plus that low ceiling during a good portion of the transitions, mmhmm.

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
So while in tournaments, I find myself always banning Battlefield. I feel like FD is the best stage for Greninja(just IMO). With the recent release of Dreamland I find now that I keep having to fight there from time to time when my opponents see that I ban BF. For those greninja players who feel like they don't struggle too much in those, could you send some tips and info of what Greninja is good at doing in BF? My main problem is that the 3 platforms get in my way A LOT, in the neutral game I can deal with them and I can use them to escape from time to time, but whenever I'm on the offense and got the upperhand I feel like the platforms either prevent me from going to where I want to go to keep the pressure up/keep comboing or my opponent just uses them to gain land and jump away from me.
Oh and quick question, I can't seem to get a Sweetspotted USmash when I'm right below one of the lower platforms but I've seen many other Greninjas doing so to get a KO(First one that comes to mind would be aMSa vs Ally at Apex). Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
So while in tournaments, I find myself always banning Battlefield. I feel like FD is the best stage for Greninja(just IMO). With the recent release of Dreamland I find now that I keep having to fight there from time to time when my opponents see that I ban BF. For those greninja players who feel like they don't struggle too much in those, could you send some tips and info of what Greninja is good at doing in BF? My main problem is that the 3 platforms get in my way A LOT, in the neutral game I can deal with them and I can use them to escape from time to time, but whenever I'm on the offense and got the upperhand I feel like the platforms either prevent me from going to where I want to go to keep the pressure up/keep comboing or my opponent just uses them to gain land and jump away from me.
Oh and quick question, I can't seem to get a Sweetspotted USmash when I'm right below one of the lower platforms but I've seen many other Greninjas doing so to get a KO(First one that comes to mind would be aMSa vs Ally at Apex). Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!
I have merged your thread with the Stage Discussion Thread.

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I had my doubts as to whether or not to make a threat or just post it here

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Hello Greninja players. I have noticed that there is no thread on Greninja's stage selection, so I have took it upon myself to make said thread.This thread is intended to inform Greninja players on what stages they should go to, as to avoid picking the wrong stage that could cost them the game. What are our ideal stages for Greninja? For reference, here is the usual stage selection for tournaments. I will add a general consensus for each stage as we go.

Color checklist:

Green- This is a stage that Greninja can depend on and will almost always be a good stage choice for optimal play.

Yellow- This is a stage that is neutral for Greninja but it can sometimes benefit him depending on the matchup.

White- This is a stage is absolutely neutral for Greninja. You are most likely banning this stage because it is your opponent's best stage. (Or, it is the filler color for stages not fully discussed yet.)

Orange- This stage is sometimes bad for Greninja but can be neutral depending on the matchup. You may want to ban these stages.

Red- This stage is bad for Greninja in most to all matchups, and it is reccomended that you ban these stages.

Stagelist:

Starter:
Battlefield/Miiverse
Final Destination
Smashville

Starter or CounterPick (usually starter):
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

CounterPick:
Dreamland 64
Duck Hunt

CounterPick or Banned (usually banned):
Delfino
Halberd
Castle Seige

I have a poll created for which stage we will discuss first. The choices you have currently are Battlefield, Smashville, and Final Destination since they are practically guranteed to be starter stages. For the next week, feel free to talk about your opinion on any of the legal stages before we decide which starter stage we will discuss. Enjoy the discussion folks!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I feel like platforms kinda just get in Greninja's way, especially at BF/SV height since he can't sweetspot U-Smash from under them. They also make it easier on all characters to get around shurikens. High platforms like the middle BF/T&C/Duck Hunt tree can lead to early ceiling kills from U-Throw/U-Tilt/U-Air, I feel like FD is generally speaking his best stage period. If possible, choose walled Omega's over FD, as they add wallcling options(I prefer Omega Eldin because the lip protects from vertical attacks like Villager bowling ball).

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Battlefield is awful for Greninja, the platforms get in the way of Up-Smash and footstool combos as well, plus other characters can abuse the platforms against us with moves that hit through them like Sheik's Up-Smash that is always going to sweetspot there.

Top Bottom