• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
Hold down the buttons = Charging it up. That's why I compared it to Balrogs turn punches in Street fighter. They work the same way. Shadow sneak won't be predictable, so long as you don't use it predictably. It will be primarily used as a punish or an escape.

Think of it this way. Lets say you constantly are holding down gren's side-b, whilst moving around and poking with Water Shurikens. Now you're able to poke at them with your projectiles, while simultaneously being able to punish theres with your teleport if they dare throw one. Just having that move will be enough to scare the opponent into throwing anything from a range.

It can also be used as an escape and a recovery too i'm assuming. Also, because his charged shuriken drags the opponent for so long, it looks like it's very possible to teleport into the opponent as they're still being dragged and hit them if you have been charging it up. It will have it's uses.

Also, I wouldn't automatically dismiss his throws as weak merely because of the range. Charizard had the longest non-tether grab in brawl, and his down throw was one of the strongest in the game as far as pure knockback goes. Only surpassed by Squirtle. Although the angle was kinda meh. :V And when it comes to damage, DDD was well known for his above average grab range, but punishing damage.

His u-smash has some hellish recovery time yea. HA! Just so long as you use them as punishes, and not spacing moves. Although, his f-smash looked pretty safe on shield. Wish I could see his down smash.
I guess it depends on the skill of the player to use the Shadow Sneak. What I was think is when you said you could use it to punish the opponent if he is using projectiles, they could just smash f-smash you when you land behind them, as it's obvious when Greninja is using it because of the smoke that appears when he telports. With the grabs, by weak I meant that they don't do much damage. If they are fast than they would be really good.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
How would you charge one special while using another special, seeing as all specials are mapped to the one special button?
This move sounds like a better version MetaKnight's Dimension Cape. Hold down the button while "sneaking" and release to attack. The longer the charge, the strong the attack (i.e., increasing risk and reward, as is the case with most powerful attacks in fighting games.)
EDIT: And this would support your statement that it would be used as a punish. You read or predict the opponent's move, and use the period of invisibility/invincibility to close the distance and strike, like a NINJA!

Man, I can't wait to play as this guy...
Because you can map multiple buttons to your special button. For example, if you wanted on brawl, you can map your X and B button to the special button. Just a little theorycraft if it does let you charge while holding down and still being able to attack and move. :p If that's the truth, I gareenty top Gren players will map 2 buttons to there special button so they can use his other special moves while charging his teleport~

Haaaa. And I kinda hope it doesn't work like MK's cape. =X Just because, yea, that'd be predictable. I mean, it would still make a great escape and punish probably~

I guess it depends on the skill of the player to use the Shadow Sneak. What I was think is when you said you could use it to punish the opponent if he is using projectiles, they could just smash f-smash you when you land behind them, as it's obvious when Greninja is using it because of the smoke that appears when he telports. With the grabs, by weak I meant that they don't do much damage. If they are fast than they would be really good.
Mm. Well, yea, if ya use it badly while your opponents just waiting for it, but I mean like characterst that CAN'T recover before you hit them. Liiike for example if Iceclimbers decide to throw an ice block or yoshi decides to throw an egg, you can hit it as a reaction and they won't have time enough time to shield. That sorta thing. :p

And lol. I know man. That's why I mentioned DDD too. Damage wise, he gets a lot offa grab. But this is just my hopeful thinking. Regardless of how much damage or knockback they do though, it looks really good, so long as his grabs come out quick~ Seriously. That range. X-x

Last edited:

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
How would you charge one special while using another special, seeing as all specials are mapped to the one special button?
This move sounds like a better version MetaKnight's Dimension Cape. Hold down the button while "sneaking" and release to attack. The longer the charge, the strong the attack (i.e., increasing risk and reward, as is the case with most powerful attacks in fighting games.)

EDIT: And this would support your statement that it would be used as a punish. You read or predict the opponent's move, and use the period of invisibility/invincibility to close the distance and strike, like a NINJA!

Man, I can't wait to play as this guy...
That last part should be capitalized, YOU DON'T NEED TO WHISPER THAT. EVERYONE KNOWS GRENINJA IS AWESOME!!!

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Because you can map multiple buttons to your special button. For example, if you wanted on brawl, you can map your X and B button to the special button. Just a little theorycraft if it does let you charge while holding down and still being able to attack and move. :p If that's the truth, I gareenty top Gren players will map 2 buttons to there special button so they can use his other special moves while charging his teleport~

Haaaa. And I kinda hope it doesn't work like MK's cape. =X Just because, yea, that'd be predictable. I mean, it would still make a great escape and punish probably~
Well, the Cape didn't work well in Brawl, but look at the utility it has in Project M. If we can use it in air, and don't have to end the move with an actual attack, it would massively improve the move's utility as a recovery. Greninja would be practically un-gimp-able.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Well, the Cape didn't work well in Brawl, but look at the utility it has in Project M. If we can use it in air, and don't have to end the move with an actual attack, it would massively improve the move's utility as a recovery. Greninja would be practically un-gimp-able.
Oh! True. Haha! Sorry, I don't play much PM. But I guess, yea if it recovers a lot quicker it could be good. I mean hey! It already looks like it has WAY more distance then brawl's dimensional cape. I really do hope it comes out good. :T

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
I would say Shadow Sneak would work well as a flee move. Greninja seems very light and he needs something to escape his opponents.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Oh! True. Haha! Sorry, I don't play much PM. But I guess, yea if it recovers a lot quicker it could be good. I mean hey! It already looks like it has WAY more distance then brawl's dimensional cape. I really do hope it comes out good. :T
I don't play as much P:M as I would if there were a local scene here in Montana, but there are plenty of good replays on VGBootCamp's stream and YouTube channel.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I would say Shadow Sneak would work well as a flee move. Greninja seems very light and he needs something to escape his opponents.
And thus the mind games: Am I going left? Right? Up (if we aren't confined to horizontal movement)? BEHIND YOU?
NINJA!

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
And thus the mind games: Am I going left? Right? Up (if we aren't confined to horizontal movement)? BEHIND YOU?
NINJA!
This TOTALLY irrelevant to this thread, but what kind of costume could Greninja wear? Possibly a traditional NINJA costume. Greninja may be a lot about mind games due to his side-special and down-special. Speaking of down-special (SUBSTITUTE), it seems like there is a delay when you use it before the attack occurs. The opponent could easily know your about to counter attack. Also what's the timing with it anyway? I can't tell.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
This TOTALLY irrelevant to this thread, but what kind of costume could Greninja wear? Possibly a traditional NINJA costume. Greninja may be a lot about mind games due to his side-special and down-special. Speaking of down-special (SUBSTITUTE), it seems like there is a delay when you use it before the attack occurs. The opponent could easily know your about to counter attack. Also what's the timing with it anyway? I can't tell.
This is one of my biggest concerns, actually. Lucario's Down+B special was pretty crappy because of the same reason.
EDIT: And I only see a couple of alternate colors for Greninja, but there's a whole 'nother thread for that.

Last edited:

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
This is one of my biggest concerns, actually. Lucario's Down+B special was pretty crappy because of this.
I hope they fix that counter. It was really flawed, and the timing was odd. I would say they would fix it and learn from there mistakes and not make Greninja's counter flawed.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I hope they fix that counter. It was really flawed, and the timing was odd. I would say they would fix it and learn from there mistakes and not make Greninja's counter flawed.
Well, with Namco helping (I hope) with the balance, it's likely they'll fix it.
Also, never underestimate the power of the plushie!

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
Well, with Namco helping (I hope) with the balance, it's likely they'll fix it.
Also, never underestimate the power of the plushie!
That substitute doll does look really good. I hope it is balanced, can't let that beauty go to waste.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
It is fun to challenge yourself with a character. Rosalina is DEFINITELY the hardest to master though. Greninja may have a bit of a learning curve, due to his fast speed and what seems like unique specials.
I wouldn't say Rosalina is definitely the hardest to master. She looks difficult to play, but personally I think characters like Marth or Mega Man would be harder. Greninja also looks pretty tricky as well. Considering a few of his moves are basic baiting moves. He dissapears, you think he's in one spot, Mr. Frog is behind you and kicking you in the back lol. My reasoning for why Rosy isn't the hardest is because Rosy doesn't seem to really have to worry about spacing, since you don't need to space the Luma. Just get the thing away from ya and go fight. Mega Man is basically screwed if someone penetrates his camping wall, and Marth is screwed if he can't tip anything. Greninja looks to be screwed if he can't fake out his opponents. If his opponent's sees through his feints, he has basically no fight left in him. His moves are quick to execute but kinda ending lag heavy.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
It doesn't matter to me since I'll be mastering him and the playstyle
...Mmm. =/
Well, it's better for a character to be viable...

I'm in the top 10 power ranked players in my state, and one of the upper level Lucario mains that's still active. However, regardless of how much effort I put into this character I still have to accept his limitations as a character who's odds aren't in his favor when fighting someone who's put there heart and soul into mastering a top tier. Really, this goes for anyone who dedicated there time to any character that's not top tier. I can't really complain. It's our own choice to main who we main.

But I hope that's not the case in smash 4.
I'd like it if you can play any character you like, and get equal returns for learning them.
And I hope greninja along side all characters in this game come out on par with each other. I speak not of myself, but the incredible low tier hero's i've met that are damn prodigys for there characters but held back by there character limitations. Perfect balance will never be a thing, but the gap that seperates viable from unviable can definitely be closer then it was in brawl.

#irrelevant-spiel

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
...Mmm. =/

I'm in the top 10 power ranked players in my state, and one of the upper level Lucario mains that's still active. However, regardless of how much effort I put into this character I still have to accept his limitations as a character who's odds aren't in his favor when fighting someone who's put there heart and soul into mastering a top tier. Really, this goes for anyone who dedicated there time to any character that's not top tier. I can't really complain. It's our own choice to main who we main.

I'd like it if you can play any character you like, and get equal returns for learning them.
And I hope greninja along side all characters in this game come out on par with each other. I speak not of myself, but the incredible low tier hero's i've met that are damn prodigys for there characters but held back by there character limitations. Perfect balance will never be a thing, but the gap that seperates viable from unviable can definitely be closer then it was in brawl.

#irrelevant-spiel
I give a lot of credit to guys like you who play/master characters they like and not just based on tiers. I'm a Mario main and despite his shortcomings I love the little guy.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
...Mmm. =/

#irrelevant-spiel
It seems like they are really focusing on making every character balanced. It would be a lot better if anyone can be rewarded for playing their favourite character and not have to pick one of the "top tier" characters to actually be able to compete.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I actually expect him to either be silent, or to make Charizard-esque noises.

Having him say his name over and over would severely wreck the "cool" factor they're going for with this Pokemon. I honestly felt like nothing was wrong with him being totally silent in the trailer. Seems like a ninja thing to do.
Actually, him shouting "...NNNNINJA!" after landing a dash attack like Fox's side-B would be pretty ****ing awesome.

Jackson

Smash Lord
It seems like they are really focusing on making every character balanced. It would be a lot better if anyone can be rewarded for playing their favourite character and not have to pick one of the "top tier" characters to actually be able to compete.
Yeah, I feel the same way. It's pretty exciting. All of the fighters are looking very unique.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Since nobody else answered this.....

That is Mario that he's beating. With Night Slash.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
This is a little late; but I am certain Greninja can wall-cling. Greninja is essentially the successor to Squirtle, and Squirtle could wall-cling. Greninja is reminiscent of Sheik, who could also wall-cling. It would be very strange if Greninja couldn't.
That would be cool, but we don't know if wall-clinging is even in Smash 4. Considering the updated speed of gameplay (somewhere between Melee and Brawl, according to Sakurai), I kind of doubt it.
That said, I would be surprised if Big G didn't get a least a walljump.

Last edited:

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Have it spice things up a bit, like allowing you to go invincible for a few seconds and having the doll magically absorb attacks that touch Greninja, at the expense of raising your damage meter by 10 or 20%
That sounds broken as ****, a few seconds is enough for Greninja to apply major pressure without risk and combo the **** out of you. I agree that something other than a boring simple counter would be nice, but I think what you suggest might be too generous.

Unless you mean that Greninja's in the middle of some sort of animation while he's invinicible, then yes that sounds less broken.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
It reminds me of Strider's Ragnarrok hyper combo in Marvel vs. Capcom and it's awesome.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
While I also agree that the FS is probably Night Slash (or simply a new move, just like Lucario's FS), it's also the moon in the background is not caused by Greninja's badassery, but could instead be the background of a new stage. bear in mind that there have been no Wario, F-Zero, or Earthbound stages announced yet, so it's entirely possible that Sakurai has more stages ready to show off than he does new characters.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
While I also agree that the FS is probably Night Slash (or simply a new move, just like Lucario's FS), it's also the moon in the background is not caused by Greninja's badassery, but could instead be the background of a new stage. bear in mind that there have been no Wario, F-Zero, or Earthbound stages announced yet, so it's entirely possible that Sakurai has more stages ready to show off than he does new characters.
In case this is a stage background, it could FD.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I kind of think that Greninja will be a lightweight fighter, being at the same weight level as Sheik.

Greninja would have to be light anyway, considering its agility.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
It'd be kinda cool if you could pick up substitute but after all the brawl characters that had that I hope it's more than that.
I kind of think that Greninja will be a lightweight fighter, being at the same weight level as Sheik.

Greninja would have to be light anyway, considering its agility.
he's only like 60 pounds so he's already one of the skinniest smash bros characters

IronFish

Smash Ace
I think we will get and Pikachu then either Lucario or Charizard as starters then any other pokemon as unlock-able

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom