• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
But mario should have the most slots and it'll be 5 at most thus 5 pokemon

Electric, Fire, Flying, Water, Dark, Fighting, Steel, Normal, Fairy and Psychic. I got 10

EDIT: also dragon because of mega charizard X so 11
Yes that is what I was counting. 11 of the types would be represented. We'd only be missing Bug, Ghost, Grass, Ground, Ice, Poison and Rock.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, I don't think he can talk. But Anime lore changes things from the games. Though, as he is a Ninja, he would probably be pretty quiet.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If you listened to the fanbase, all newcomers are OP.
All of them.
Technically the only one that could be claimed that is Rosalina, and that's because of her playstyle being a puppeteer. Puppeteer characters in fighting games are traditionally high tier, due to their 2-in-1 style fighting being able to create very lethal combos and pressuring that wouldn't be possible solo. The only issues being maintenance and their high learning curve.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
One word: transcendence.

If Greninja's moves don't out-prioritize every single other move there is in the game, then don't expect him to be MK 2.0. Even MK won't be as godly as he was in Brawl this time around (if indeed Sakurai has learned anything).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really don't think that Greninja will ever be as good as Brawl Meta Knight. It's larger in size, and doesn't have as many recovery options.

In fact, I don't think anyone will ever be like Brawl Meta Knight in any way.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Technically the only one that could be claimed that is Rosalina, and that's because of her playstyle being a puppeteer. Puppeteer characters in fighting games are traditionally high tier, due to their 2-in-1 style fighting being able to create very lethal combos and pressuring that wouldn't be possible solo. The only issues being maintenance and their high learning curve.
Pretty much this. Most fighters actually have to fight face-to-face to be able to get anywhere. With Rosalina, she doesn't necessarily have to fight directly to be a threat, thanks to her Luma partner.

Greninja may look impressive with its sneaky tactics, but they'll probably be far from reliable if the fighters can block/evade its counterattacks before they land.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I wouldn't be so quick on calling Rosalina OP either. Sure, puppeteers are normally good in fighting games, but these are traditional examples. Smash is far from traditional, and the limited movement that made puppeteers great in traditional fighters isn't there in Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wouldn't be so quick on calling Rosalina OP either. Sure, puppeteers are normally good in fighting games, but these are traditional examples. Smash is far from traditional, and the limited movement that made puppeteers great in traditional fighters isn't there in Smash.
Perhaps, but the Luma's involvement does mean that Rosalina is capable of messing up opponents without getting her hands dirty. She may not seem overpowered, but thanks to the Luma, most fighters may find it very hard to deal with Rosalina's battle options, especially if their approach options are very bad.

No one else has that kind of luxury, not even Greninja, but that's not to say that Rosalina won't have at least a few negative matchups.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It all boils down on how dependent Rosalina is on Luma. She might be completely defenseless without it, or she could hold on her own, but we'll see.

Well I'd say Greninja does have his own luxury in looking like he's gonna be a pure keepaway what with his range, projectile and teleport and how he doesn't seem good up close. Smash is one fighter that's missing its share of zoners, but Mega Man and Greninja will continue Snake's legacy.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No, the purpose of a puppeteer isn't having the puppet do all the hard work, the purpose of a puppeteer is to work in tandem with the puppet it controls.

Like for example, Zato-1 can't rely on Eddie to do all the work, and likewise Zato-1 can't fight on his own because it restricts him of his options. You've got to rely on both, with Eddie typically being used to eat through the opponents defenses and serves as a ranged attack, and Zato being the one punishing the opponent exposed by Eddie.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It all boils down on how dependent Rosalina is on Luma. She might be completely defenseless without it, or she could hold on her own, but we'll see.
Considering that she's not like Olimar, Rosalina seems capable of holding her own without the Luma for some of her attacks, but again, it all comes down to how her battle plan works out in the end.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
No, the purpose of a puppeteer isn't having the puppet do all the hard work, the purpose of a puppeteer is to work in tandem with the puppet it controls.
I didn't know how to word it properly, but that's pretty much what I meant. I don't exactly play a lot of fighters with puppeteers, so it's a fighting style I'm wholly unfamiliar with.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
okay so in the reveal for Greninja, we saw this

which many expect is his final smash.
what do you guys think?
how powerful will it be?
what other effects could it have?
is that mario or luigi?!?!?!?!? :p
Smashboarders used discuss! It's super effective!

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
I wonder if it is possible to attack Luma like in the Ice Climbers and get rid of Luma much like you could on one of the ICs? The AI controlled the Nana though so we have to see just what is at the disposal of the actual controller.

I really don't think that Greninja will ever be as good as Brawl Meta Knight. It's larger in size, and doesn't have as many recovery options.

In fact, I don't think anyone will ever be like Brawl Meta Knight in any way.
if that "quick attack" recovery works like Pika's then you may have all you need combining it with the jumps. Not to mention that the teleport will help a lot as well. Just like it helped Zelda to grab a ledge.

Xigger

Smash Lord
A tether with his tongue does seem plausible.
Tether is more than likely gone, given the fact that tether was never too reliable in the first place. Both confirmed tether recovery veterans Olimar and Zero Suit Samus have new recovery moves.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Tether is more than likely gone, given the fact that tether was never too reliable in the first place. Both confirmed tether recovery veterans Olimar and Zero Suit Samus have new recovery moves.
Well we don't know about link or samus yet maybe he was just talking about characters who's main method of recovery is tethering

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
Totally. It's definitely a big deal. Think of Popo being able to respawn Nana.
if the Rosalina player sends out Luma, then perhaps Greninja players can teleport closer or behind and counter attack on Rosalina herself. Thus with a connected hits attack going on, the animation will maybe be holding up the Luma being recalled immediately.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Dude, why are you guys talking about Rosalina? xD

Regarding Greninja, it's always possible he has options for approach and defense, but he may fall short when it comes to knocking out characters.

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
Dude, why are you guys talking about Rosalina? xD

Regarding Greninja, it's always possible he has options for approach and defense, but he may fall short when it comes to knocking out characters.
I guess we were talking about how to counter her with Greninja. Maybe we should direct it to the match-ups speculation thread.

Though I am just loving that the sword attack can possibly be spammed, and maybe use it straight out of a dash.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Definitely night slash. It maybe works like the Captain Falcon FS where you hit a certain amount of people and it takes you away from the battle area to show you running over your opponents. Except, Greninja doesn't have his license, so he can't do that yet.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This Final Smash is probably going to receive some sort of unique name, despite it being based on the move Night Slash. I'd wager something like Cross Killing as a bit of a play on it's Japanese name つじぎり Crossroad Killing.

Nippo

Smash Cadet
That teleporting aerial rapid slash that Greninja and MvC3 Strider both have is some sort of cliche. Chipp from Guilty Gear has a very similar move as well.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well we don't know about link or samus yet maybe he was just talking about characters who's main method of recovery is tethering
This. I'm sure it's still an option. However, he appears to have a water grab.

I would think he could walk cling too, given that (some) frogs can stick to surfaces.

Also, I think that the teleporting smokescreen move and substitute are the same move and can be done through different inputs.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
This. I'm sure it's still an option. However, he appears to have a water grab.

I would think he could walk cling too, given that (some) frogs can stick to surfaces.

Also, I think that the teleporting smokescreen move and substitute are the same move and can be done through different inputs.
Well considering lucario can wall cling who is more of a martial artist, I'm sure greninja the ninja could

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom