• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja General Discussion Thread - The Coolest Pokémon Ever Is Now Confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Hoenn remakes for the 3DS confirmed, guys!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It'll be interesting to see how he'll compare to other Pokemon characters in this game. Will he be the best competitively?

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
It'll be interesting to see how he'll compare to other Pokemon characters in this game. Will he be the best competitively?
Considering that it's a Hoenn remake, we'll probably just have Hoenn pokemon. The only difference will be some possibility of new Mega pokemon. IRRELEVANT

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Oh lol, sorry. Switching between pokemon and Smash gets me so mixed up. :D But I think Greninja will be the best competitively unless Charizard got a huge buff.
But Lucario tho. Greninja will probably be a close second. But hey you never know. One thing I do know is that if Mewtwo returns, he will be the best pokemon there is, no questions asked ;)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Generally speaking agile characters like Greninja tend to fair well. Though it also helps that Greninja also sports some utilities too.

I have confidence Greninja will be a competent character to use, though whether or not it will be among the best is an answer that will be determined in the future.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I was so happy when Greninja was confirmed.

I got alot of flak for wanting a gen 6 pokemon and never including Mewtwo in my rosters. Greninja was a great victory for me.

JDE

Smash Rookie
What do you guys think of his final smash? Or have they showed it yet? I've been trying to keep up with him, but I haven't been able to get video to video updates. I only seen 1 or 2 when he was confirmed.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
His Final Smash is like a night slash/acrobatics/ariel ace in front of the moon.

Looks cool, I wonder what it will be called.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
His Final Smash is like a night slash/acrobatics/ariel ace in front of the moon.

Looks cool, I wonder what it will be called.
I think it's just either Aerial Ace or Acrobatics. Acrobatics has been considered a staple for physical Greninja builds, so it's somewhat relevant. Looks cool, too!

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Does Greninja share moves with Sheik? From the footage in the Direct, it looks like he stole a couple of moves. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he just took Inspiration from Sheik (That's what I'm hoping for, anyway).

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
He doesn't share any Specials with her, at least. Here's a nice compilation of character movesets, as confirmed by "pics of the day".

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hey guys, I have a question that maybe will sound a little stupid XD
Is Greninja male or female?
Pikachu is male because the tail, Jigglypuff is female because she acts like a girl, has that taunt in Melee ;) and also has the female trainer hat in Brawl, Lucario is male because he has man voice and is also based on the Lucario of the movie...and well, I'm pretty sure Charizard is male too, because he is probably based on Ash's Charizard or Red's Charizard from Pokemon Origins, but what about Greninja?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Pikachu is male because the tail, Jigglypuff is female because she acts like a girl, has that taunt in Melee ;) and also has the female trainer hat in Brawl, Lucario is male because he has man voice and is also based on the Lucario of the movie...and well, I'm pretty sure Charizard is male too, because he is probably based on Ash's Charizard or Red's Charizard from Pokemon Origins, but what about Greninja?
Greninja, like fellow ninja Sheik, keeps its gender a secret for now. Who knows when we will find out for sure.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Greninja, like fellow ninja Sheik, keeps its gender a secret for now. Who knows when we will find out for sure.
Well...Sheik is obviously a female because she is Zelda XD But, I was thinking in something, the gender ratio of Greninja (and Charizard) is 87,5% Male and 12,5% Female, that would help...maybe, but yes, you are right, we will have to wait more to know the gender or maybe we will never know it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
By going with Pokemon logic, I'd assume male due to gender ratios.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will say that since so many people are enthusiastic about playing with Greninja, I have a feeling that might be a key factor into making sure Greninja is a mainstay.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I will say that since so many people are enthusiastic about playing with Greninja, I have a feeling that might be a key factor into making sure Greninja is a mainstay.
Probably. With his popularity, it is likely that Game Freak will continue to promote Greninja.

Gune

Smash Lord
The way Greninja is going he has a good chance of following in Lucario's footsteps which I'm honestly excited for, because any non gen 1 pokemon that can become a mainstay is pretty damn awesome.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I will definitely to invest in Greninja once Smash 3DS comes out, along with Mac, Zamus, Tink, and Ike.

I have a bad feeling that Greninja won't be too good, though...

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
So, Greninja will be available at the Invitational. Which means we may see a lot of Greninja soon.

How do you think Greninja will fair? Will he even be chosen to play?
I know ending lag seems to be fear for Greninja around here, but do you think his mobility and speed will outweigh it and allow him to be viable in this tournament scene?

Also, being playable in the Invitational may mean Greninja will be playable at best buy as well. Thoughts?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Keepin mind that due to the design of Super Smash Bros., there is a bias towards agility and speed. Naturally I would imagine Greninja being rather effective due to this.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I don't know, he may be difficult to use on a FFA with Items.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Keepin mind that due to the design of Super Smash Bros., there is a bias towards agility and speed. Naturally I would imagine Greninja being rather effective due to this.
True, true. I do hope that the likes of Bowser becomes a force in this game.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm disappointed that Charizard was right there showing itself off and Greninja just completely steals the spotlight from him. The last move he used in the Direct video had to be his final smash. Anybody know what the heck it was?
That was the best part of the video to me. :laugh: Anyway, I am very happy Greninja was confirmed (two months ago lol). I am kinda tired of Pokémon, but it is one of the best Generation VI species and while I prefer Delphox over it, I think the frog was the most deserving Pokémon to get the playable status.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
If it was 1v1 all the way, I could see Greninja winning easy. In a FFA environment though, it could be a lot harder for him.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yay Meteor smash!Also about Greninja being a mainstay...idk.How popular is Lucario?Greninja would need his popularity,mega evolution and a movie.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
It may even be simpler than that. If the anime producers have the sense to make Ash's/Satoshi's Froakie evolve into Greninja and make it do awesome stuff (looking at you Sceptile. Why you gotta lose your attacks for so long?), by the time the next Smash comes out, those kids will have a voice on the internet. By then, Gamefreak would also hopefully bring Greninja into the limelight again in some way in the gen 8 or whatever games. I remember seeing people post the Dorkly poll and others arguing that he was behind Pokemon like Feraligatr, but a big reason for that is because most of the people voting on that poll were adults that grew up with the first two (maybe the third as well) generations. Once we see the gen 6 kids get older, we're bound to see a lot more love for the Ninja Frog.

Another thing, gen 6 was a huge step for Pokemon (mega evolutions, 3D, Fairy), so it'd make sense to have a representative from that generation (to me at least), so I'd imagine that the only real competition for slots in future games would be between Mewtwo and Charizard as a gen 1 representative. Besides, tons of people thought Ike would be a one time deal, but he's back in Smash 4, so I don't see why Greninja can't return in the next Smash.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Pink Greninja is love.

I agree with Kero on Gen 6 and Greninja's popularity. If Lucario can do it, Greninja can, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom