• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja General Discussion Thread - The Coolest Pokémon Ever Is Now Confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Thinking about it, he has a 45 degree down angled projectile and a teleport.

Greninja is Wesker approved

Complete Water Saturation

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
If anything, Lil Mac has an advantage. Greninja being air prominent means nothing when Lil Mac has such a huge ground game and can cover so much space that Greninja can't even come close. Greninja has to be careful in the air as well because Mac has solid anti airs. Considering the fact Mac is ridiculously mobile on the ground Greninja has to be very careful when he plays keepaway which is the only thing that would work against Mac on the ground.

Mac's worst nightmare would be a character that could play defensively or zone effectively. Someone like Wario, Snake and Olimar could be trouble. If Smash had more proper grappler in the vein of Zangief they'd be trouble too but alas I don't imagine DK (the closest thing to a Smash grappler) would have a lot of options. But enough theory fighters.
True my mistake..however i am sure Little Mac will be Rosalina's worst nightmare

Last edited:

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I've been seeing some people talking about how Greninja owes some of his popularity to Froakie. Other way around, in my opinion.

When the original starters were revealed, I was hanging out on the Serebii forums and some other Pokémon centered places. The conclusion almost everyone came to was that Fennekin was the clear winner, Chespin was pretty cool, and Froakie was weird and ugly (and looks perpetually sad). It was only later when Frogedier was revealed that the community huddled around Froakie but it was still tied with Fennekin/Braixen. Only very close to launch did the Greninja line emerge as the victor. For people following the whole time (myself included) it was a very shocking transformation and a lot of us switched favorites.

When the game actually came out and it was revealed how much of a beast Protean Greninja is, almost everyone converted to Greninja.

It now looks like Greninja is most "landslide victory" starter since Blaziken or even Charizard.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Greninja sure was a surprise for me. I'll probably play and have fun with him, but I never asked for him. Still, can't deny the awesomeness of "(DISCO) NINJA FROG"

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Thinking about it, he has a 45 degree down angled projectile and a teleport.

Greninja is Wesker approved

Complete Water Saturation
"Complete Water Saturation"
LOL!

Also, what is his downward angled projectile? I didn't see that in the trailer.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You know what, I'll admit it. My favorite thing about Greninja in Smash is the same as my favorite thing about him in X/Y. His animation for the move Bounce (seems to be his D-Air) looks bloody hilarious.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Greninja sure was a surprise for me. I'll probably play and have fun with him, but I never asked for him. Still, can't deny the awesomeness of "(DISCO) NINJA FROG"

I kept trying to remember where I heard the phrase "ninja frog" before and I thought real hard with no avail, but you just reminded me. Thank you LOL.

If only Jiraya's element was water...except Persona doesn't have water.

Last edited:

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Everything about this character is just making me so excited!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Seems like the down Aerial will bounce the opponent backwards from what your facing, unless it sends the opponent either direct.

It's properties of shooting you straight down will also help Greninja have extra resilience with vertical knockback.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Can anyone else tell if they've featured his Forward Special yet? The only one's we know for sure are Water Shuriken and Substitute, right? We've seen his recovery move as well, but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe Aqua Jet?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Can anyone else tell if they've featured his Forward Special yet? The only one's we know for sure are Water Shuriken and Substitute, right? We've seen his recovery move as well, but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe Aqua Jet?
I'm pretty sure his side special is that teleport move he does.

Seems like it will have similar functionality to Mewtwo's Teleport from Project M.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Greninja's moveset is amazing. I've not been this happy for a newcomer in a while. Solo Charizard made me really happy too, so that reveal trailer was the best one yet for me.

Love it.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Seems like the down Aerial will bounce the opponent backwards from what your facing, unless it sends the opponent either direct.

It's properties of shooting you straight down will also help Greninja have extra resilience with vertical knockback.
I think it will be a meteor smash if the opponent is in the air, while if he/she is on the ground, the bounce will send them diagonally upwards.

SUPER HYPE FOR GRENINJA OH MY GOODNESS! My favorite Pokemon unexpectedly comes into the Smash Bros. universe and helps feed my ninja obsession! He seems to be about as fast as Fox and jumps very high, possibly on par with Luigi or Falco. I hope he has decent grabs. ^_^ Instant main or dual-main with Yoshi no matter how good he is.

Oh and dual water swords! *o*

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I'm really excited to play as Greninja. He seems really fun!

I've been seeing some people talking about how Greninja owes some of his popularity to Froakie. Other way around, in my opinion.

When the original starters were revealed, I was hanging out on the Serebii forums and some other Pokémon centered places. The conclusion almost everyone came to was that Fennekin was the clear winner, Chespin was pretty cool, and Froakie was weird and ugly (and looks perpetually sad). It was only later when Frogedier was revealed that the community huddled around Froakie but it was still tied with Fennekin/Braixen. Only very close to launch did the Greninja line emerge as the victor. For people following the whole time (myself included) it was a very shocking transformation and a lot of us switched favorites.

When the game actually came out and it was revealed how much of a beast Protean Greninja is, almost everyone converted to Greninja.

It now looks like Greninja is most "landslide victory" starter since Blaziken or even Charizard.
I was Team Froakie from the start. :bee:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah, can we have more threads questioning why Greninja got in here? I MEAN WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THOSE AMIRITE?

Last edited:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Greninja has to be the most ridiculously epic character ever.
Anyway, about that USmash... It looks like it has quite a bit of ending lag. Perhaps a high-risk, high-reward move?

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Pokemon Y question would anyone want to trade a Froakie or Frogadier with Protean? I don't have much to offer as I only started yesterday

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
I know that I am a bit very late in saying this, but congratulations on your character making the cut! His trailer was well made and he looks very fun to play as and play against. Truly a remarkable character and I can't wait to try him out!

Neo Zero

I'm 100% going to main him. My only concern is if sub does damage to him. What do you think?
Hard to say really. In the trailer his reflected Shuriken does hit him, and then the cloud of smoke appears as does the substitute. My guess would be that he still takes the percent damage, but leaves the substitute behind, and allowing him to attack out of it a bit after. Hard to say in the end though without more footage or a Sakurai caption

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
What if Substitute is a set-up move like WFT's breathing thing? You Down-B and the next hit you take makes the substitute pop out and teleports you? Hmm. Just a thought.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume the Substitute can be grabbed and thrown like a generic item, considering that even after Greninja preforms the counter it doesn't disappear.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
What if Substitute is a set-up move like WFT's breathing thing? You Down-B and the next hit you take makes the substitute pop out and teleports you? Hmm. Just a thought.
No i think Substitude and Teleport are two different moves..

Neo Zero

Know I just posted one of these....but I had a much better one made than what I could make

Much more fitting for Greninja-san

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Hi guys!
Just a quick post to tell you all how I am very hyped about Greninja and that I'm really looking forward to play him/her/it whenever the game is out.
Also, I'l be your mod in this Greninja Board. have fun! ;)

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm pretty sure it is his tongue. When he opens his mouth in Pokemon-Amie, you can see that it comes out of his mouth.
This is true. It was heavily debated up until we finally got some Amie shots of Greninja, but the tongue scarf is indeed his tongue. If you look at the screen where he slaps Mega Man with his "scarf," there's little electric waves coming off it. Lick in the Pokémon games can cause paralysis. Coinkidink? I think not.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy

Hmm... perhaps not, but it still looks that way to me, coincidence or no. All in all... it's preeeetty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom