• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I just laned againt a Ryze, I just tried to keep my distance. ... but he out CS'd me. Damn it. I just tried to play it safe.

But we managed to kill him anyways.

I think this may have been my longest game ever... Maybe.

It was pretty close in kills. Although, we pushed harder and got their inner turrets, but they didn't get ours. We also got dragon and Baron at least 3 times, and they didn't seem to catch up. A yi did follow us but I killed him.

I was mid against ryze, was ok. It's hard to kill him, but I'm afraid of his snare. Do merc treads work against him? I hate Ryze. D: <

I also split pushed and got a turret down. Orianna got the right turret down. : D

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I was under the impression that Ryze falls off HARD late game due to his poor AP scaling and due to the fact that the mana scaling isn't enough for him to deal sufficient AP carry-esque damage end game.
500 damage nukes on like a 1.5 second cd when you have 40% penetration is reallllly hard to fall off.
Top it off with spell vamp and his building tanky and you get a beast.

Leacero

Smash Lord
Yeah, but it's single target (with ult off) and he has to get relatively close and stay there for a prolonged period to deal the damage. I dunno, I just haven't noticed any Ryze's that were a big threat in late game situations, though this could probably be attributed to his team fighting ability and the emphasis of team fights late game.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
What are the Ryze counters for laning?

He's Nasus like late-game, yet I can't think of anything that solidly counters him in lane. Past 25 mins he's a monster, and I've found it's hard to keep him from getting there.

And he's got aoe. dunno what you guys are talking about in that regard. Galio/Ryze is a pretty ******** way to set it up to be more reliable.

I dont feel strongly about any of this. Just what I noticed.

jpak

Smash Lord
>jpak spams invites to people for normals
>goes afk during champ select
but we won so it's fine!!

He's Nasus like late-game, yet I can't think of anything that solidly counters him in lane. Past 25 mins he's a monster, and I've found it's hard to keep him from getting there.

And he's got aoe. dunno what you guys are talking about in that regard. Galio/Ryze is a pretty ******** way to set it up to be more reliable.

brand fizz heimer kennen urgot xerath do fine vs ryze

tarmacker

Smash Journeyman
How I Orianna these days? She's free this week and I laned her against Ryze in solo-queue normals (aka doesn't mean anything) and shut him down pretty hard just zoning with my ball early game. But then it got to like 30 minutes and he rolled our team even though I was up ~30 cs and 2 or 3 kills.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I would find Ryze quite difficult to play gainst as Fizz, actually. His nuke is on too low a CD and he has an instant snare. Can't juke enough to avoid that damage an he can zone you with range.

:phone:

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Well I think he's he only diverse AP mid player in all of swf, haha.
Except for kind of Zac.
Hey, I'd say I'm pretty diverse
kennen malz morg ryze tf teemo zil
Morgana, Annie, Kassadin, Ryze, Xerath, Sion, Zilean, Heimer, Lux, and Swain. I'd be comfortable picking any of those in ranked, except for maybe Lux (depending on if I'm just having a really bad skillshot day).
I think his kennen is good.

never seen his TF tho.
His Kennen is solid, watched it in stream for a couple minutes one time
Doublelift joining CLG as AD carry. Chauster taking support. Bigfat back to AP. o.o
Whoa, tectonic plates are shifting
>jpak spams invites to people for normals
>goes afk during champ select
At least he didn't pick universal teleport TF and feed regardless :awesome:
No more dodge?!: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/dodge-runes-refund-coming-weeks

Damn, and RIGHT after I got all 9 of my dodge seals lol, good thing they're refunding them.
Well how bout that. They were actually the first defensive seals I ever bought, back when dodge runes were standard on ranged carries
but we won so it's fine!!

brand fizz heimer kennen urgot xerath do fine vs ryze
I'd say the lane against Fizz would probably be even, though he'd certainly give Ryze probs with farming. All the others I agree with, Heimer most of all

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
His Monkey's Agility is being changed up b/c of the removal of dodge (apparently they removing it off all abilities as well as taking out the runes and nimbleness.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Can someone tell me why Ryze isn't picked more and what his counterpicks are.

He wreckes everyone in every soloqueue game I play. Not sure why he isn't banned/used in the competitive scene a ton.
Ryze is picked every so often. I've seen Salce/Bigfatlp play him here and there not too long ago.

He's a good solo queue caster. In teams though it's a harder choice. Late game damage there are casters that definitely output more, both in burst and in sustained. His trade off of course is being able to go much tankier while retaining a lot of damage. He doesn't get any AoE CC or strong poking at towers, and he's not that great at really trying to initiate besides catching someone extended with Snare. There is no Flash Ult/CC deal for him to turn the game around.

He has counters in lane. His very early laning before tear/boots is weak. Caster wise you're gonna lose to Cass hands down and Brand is also kind of hard if he can actually aim his skills (Conflag and ryze Q are almost same range, but he gets more damage out of small trades due to passive. Same if Ryze goes in to snare and eats Pillar. Then Level 6 he's in no better shape while Brand gets ult). Morgana will just push the lane and black shield your stuff. Even if you get snare off, the rest of your combo gets basically eaten for free and she walks away just to heal up again with another pool. He does beat Sion, but it's only because you can blow his shield up with Q/Snare and if he doesn't stun you it's likely you can throw another Q at him. He either has to blow the same/more mana than you, which obviously favors you, or try to make you use a lot more mana while taking the damage. Unless he's got a ton of pots, probably won't be that path lol. Kennen wins vs him too as Jpak pointed out.

Other less "traditional" picks would Heimer as someone mentioned. Push lane Rocket his face np np. Sivir probably does fine. Few other guys too.

I hate playing against Brand, and Sion isn't that fun either.
Brand isn't fun. Sion is fun though assuming you play a bit cautious early on and don't blow all your mana early trying to Q him.

Just play Gragas and beat Sion np.
Naw son, moar Ryze for Sion.

I was under the impression that Ryze falls off HARD late game due to his poor AP scaling and due to the fact that the mana scaling isn't enough for him to deal sufficient AP carry-esque damage end game.
Kinda. His 1 v 1 damage is pretty solid, but AoE wise yes he pales in comparison to Anivia Cass Karthus etc. He can't go in **** a whole team by himself.

Galio + Any Caster is a strong way of setting it up. Watch Karthus dance on everyone with defile while Qing. Watch Cass/Annie/Brand get free ults and AoE and etc. Ryze isn't the only one that gets that.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Yo, Dphat,

I've been jungling Udyr in ranked lately.

I was 0-4 with him in ranked (by far my worst with anyone), but now I'm 3-4 with him, after watching a couple of your streams.

I've been going Wriggles->finish boots->hog->wit's end->renduin's->variable depending on game.

Are there any changes I should make to my core build, in your opinion? I noticed you don't get Wriggles all the time...why is that?

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Hey Mogwai, change the OP so people don't think they can currently sign up for the tournament plz! Teams will be posted on Sunday.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
I'm assuming you go phoenix udyr? If so wriggles is not a good purchase. (Only time I go wriggles if they are EXTREMELY ad heavy) I tend to go cloth, boots (quick boots 2), wits to frozen heart (FH > Randium in most cases, only time I would go randium is if your team is lacking CC) if I don't go FH I tend to save the cloth armor for an Aegis.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
They nerfed morgana about a month ago. (lowered her spell vamp by 5% at all levels) I personally am not really bothered by them, but if I lane mid I usually am morg, so it comes as no problem to me. :) And for some reason random morgs I play against/with don't appreciate the beauty of flash>ulti>hourglass active.

brand has been nerfed with -100 range on his e

morgana is just a ***** and has only gotten a lower ap ratio on her shield since the huge buffs that put her on top of viable ap mids

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Slickback, even if you don't want to trade anyone for the tournament, can you please respond to my message so I can plan accordingly. :)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I think ive decided that my best roles by far are support and tank, mostly support though. Dunno, Ive always liked to play defensively (which is probably why I prefer Brawl > Melee and chose to main a super campy character with lots of spacing ability, speed, and a near impenetrable shield) so it does make sense.

I think what sealed the deal is that when I went:
Support Soraka - 0/1/18
Tank Shyvana - 11/5/23
Support Gangplank (lol) - 5/3/15

After each game I also received a stupid amount of praise from my team too lol.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Slickback, even if you don't want to trade anyone for the tournament, can you please respond to my message so I can plan accordingly. :)
Maybe he's not replying because you were supposed to copy the tourny admin on all those trade offers and since you didn't the trade can't go through until you do? Hmmmm?

Teams will be posted on Sunday people. Get ready for some SWF goodness.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Maybe he's not replying because you were supposed to copy the tourny admin on all those trade offers and since you didn't the trade can't go through until you do? Hmmmm?

Teams will be posted on Sunday people. Get ready for some SWF goodness.

I can't just ask him if he wants to trade, and then run it by you if he says yes? <.<

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'm so tired of people thinking tower is a safe spot, then acting like its not their fault when they get dived and killed.

Top Bottom