• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
So I was thinking about new and stupid supports, and I thought, what are the things that supports do? Having some of the following is good, and not being dependent on items to do them is wonderful.

--Initiate with CC, or disrupt teamfights with CC
--Peel for the carry, and protect the carry in lane
--Stave off ganks, or assist ganks
--Heal or buff the carry
--Do damage and help zone in lane, even without damage items.
--Tank and obstruct

So then I thought, hey, there's a character that does bunches of damages, has a soft AOE CC, a hard CC, good damage even without damage items, can waveclear, and a very powerful disruption utility spell to boot. You never see this character played as support, but it's clear to anybody with half a brain she would make an amazing one that can do damage, stop pushes, help ganks, peel, disrupt, and can go for like 15 to 20 minutes without damage items while still staying relevant. Then later her utility lets her continue to shine as a frustrating champion that makes the enemy's teamfights a nightmare. And that champion is, obviously, Anivia.

edit:

her biggest weakness is a base 300 movespeed. remedy this with mobility boots (combine with shurelya's for surprise walls later on). At the start rune/master for 1 movespeed quint and 2 percent from utility, and you'll start at a much more manageable 310 or so.

DO IT

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Anivia is still a high skill champion that is even less forgiving as support than others.
Her stuff will tend to be pushing waves (which may not be a bad thing) but doesn't give the ad carry anything specific, other than her ult, which she won't really have the mana to use to be an effective attack speed reduction.

She will easily force hard engages though, which could be grand for something like Shaco/Rengar.

Kira-

Smash Champion
So I was thinking about new and stupid supports, and I thought, what are the things that supports do? Having some of the following is good, and not being dependent on items to do them is wonderful.

--Initiate with CC, or disrupt teamfights with CC
--Peel for the carry, and protect the carry in lane
--Stave off ganks, or assist ganks
--Heal or buff the carry
--Do damage and help zone in lane, even without damage items.
--Tank and obstruct

So then I thought, hey, there's a character that does bunches of damages, has a soft AOE CC, a hard CC, good damage even without damage items, can waveclear, and a very powerful disruption utility spell to boot. You never see this character played as support, but it's clear to anybody with half a brain she would make an amazing one that can do damage, stop pushes, help ganks, peel, disrupt, and can go for like 15 to 20 minutes without damage items while still staying relevant. Then later her utility lets her continue to shine as a frustrating champion that makes the enemy's teamfights a nightmare. And that champion is, obviously, Anivia.

edit:

her biggest weakness is a base 300 movespeed. remedy this with mobility boots (combine with shurelya's for surprise walls later on). At the start rune/master for 1 movespeed quint and 2 percent from utility, and you'll start at a much more manageable 310 or so.

DO IT
quite brilliant actually

Cho poops on Darius.
lol

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Anivia certainly needs blue buff in mid lane, when she's focused on dueling/zoning her opponent, or blowing up creep waves without having to go back every minute. In a role where she's avoiding using her abilities except to fight (probably to the death), she'll be less susceptible to OOMing herself.

Honestly? I'm mostly pushing this idea because I want to see Anivia's wall in conjunction with other AoE casters and other abilities. It's a mean utility spell that combines extremely effectively with AOE's and pick-off abilities, so being able to isolate bottom lane engages into 2v1 and 3v1 when your jungler shows up is unbelievably useful. The wall is a godlike tool during Baron fights as well, and if you can combine stuff like Anivia+Karthus during a baron battle? Yes please. Same with dragon in the early/mid game.

And the wall = free brush checks! THAT ALONE IS REASON ENOUGH MANG.

(I'd listen to me man. I was running Zyra support on her release week. They called me crazy (when really I was just bad). GUESS WHO IS LAUGHING NOW.)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'll say this, in season 3 chalice will build into an amazing support item so support anivia can sort of work with chalice + philo

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
@Tmacc - if the issue is that your support isn't putting wards in your bottom bushes, you can buy yourself a ward when you base and place it there.

Pretty much everyone should buy wards as long as they have space in their inventory.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I've seen some mean things with Anivia's wall. I remember a game where a Trundle and Anivia sealed me at the border wall of top lane. May as well have stunned me for 8 seconds.

I know for sure Anivia does a lot of free damage and she might actually work best with a bruiser bot like Jarvan/Wukong/Fiora.

What's your LoL tag, Wobbles? I'm all for trying new things. I'm Oni Master.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
darius talk

winning against darius involves baiting out his q, then going hard on him until your stuff is on cd, then backing off and repeating the process. this pretty much goes for every top lane matchup lol

building hp against him makes it harder for him to get kills with his ult, dont even worry about building armor against him

champs that can kite darius work really well against him, excluding rumble. get in, do damage, then get out quick before he has time to get 5 stacks and chase you out of lane

i beat darius pretty easily with irelia. my build is usually heart of gold, phage, then getting ionic spark followed by triforce. puts me at a good attack speed with a chunk of hp and makes dueling darius easy as hell

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I heard a rumor that Volibear is really good against Darius. He builds HP, and he makes it REALLY easy for his jungler to help him gank Darius.
I could be making this up, but it sounds true in theory.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
That's not a rumor. It's friggin' true. Feel the storm.

Darius's Q actually has relatively meh base damage at point blank and Volibear is one of those champs that excels at early level fighting. Be really aggressive and you'll find Darius is actually scared of commitment. I play Volibear top all the time and he's really good in general.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
zero_gamer: I'm Eskimaux on NA, but I'm in Egypt right now so I can't play. I may be able to play at the end of December when I return to AZ. But it's more likely I'll only be available in 2013.

I remember years ago, in the first season I got up to 1600 Elo running Urgot+Anivia with my friend in bottom lane. This was before anybody knew what the hell they were actually doing. Then again we also spammed our ventrilo info and half the time we were basically doing 4 man premades in soloQ with voice chat, which may also have had something to do with it.

that was also when 1600 actually suggested you were worth anything, when the top 100 were maxing around 2000 and that actually put us in the top few thousand NA players. Now that's just small time.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I wanna pick up Volibear again in ranked.

I've also seen him used as a support at my Elo recently and I don't know why, his flip and slow sound scary bit I feel like kiting him solves the issue.

:phone:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I still remember the amazing statistic that being 1200 put you in the upper half of ELO for all players

D

Deleted member

cho beats darius only if u go flat atk spd/ flat ap and start small camp

if u don't then expect to sit at tower a lot and then get dove a **** load vs actual good people

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I beat a darius as cho in lane. Then again I had my jungle gank level 2 and send darius home. It seems like it would be rough otherwise.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
darius talk

winning against darius involves baiting out his q, then going hard on him until your stuff is on cd, then backing off and repeating the process. this pretty much goes for every top lane matchup lol

building hp against him makes it harder for him to get kills with his ult, dont even worry about building armor against him

champs that can kite darius work really well against him, excluding rumble. get in, do damage, then get out quick before he has time to get 5 stacks and chase you out of lane

i beat darius pretty easily with irelia. my build is usually heart of gold, phage, then getting ionic spark followed by triforce. puts me at a good attack speed with a chunk of hp and makes dueling darius easy as hell
This is good advice; or at least it's better than "lol butt darius is bad why are you losing to him becuz i miss with e a lot"

I haven't played top for a couple of days, so I guess I'll try it tonight maybe.

Usually I go Udyr or Renekton, with Udyr tho, I just press w and ignore Darius as he hits me.

I played a game with Espy and fed horribly and felt bad about it last night~ :woman:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yeh, but I didn't help top as much as I should have.

... Elise's Rappel is kinda ******** though.

ARE YOU GANKING ME? KNOPE. *folds arms and crosses legs*

Coney

Smash Master
This is good advice; or at least it's better than "lol butt darius is bad why are you losing to him becuz i miss with e a lot"
he just said exactly what everyone else said, except added in the "build HP" bit

if you want it that spelled out for you go read a guide or something

btw that carley avatar is depressing me, i wonder whatever happened to lily

i def left her *** stranded

Coney

Smash Master
played it

it was really really really disappointing :(

exactly what i thought would happen, happen, and your choices actually didn't do anything at all

Kira-

Smash Champion
Anivia certainly needs blue buff in mid lane, when she's focused on dueling/zoning her opponent, or blowing up creep waves without having to go back every minute. In a role where she's avoiding using her abilities except to fight (probably to the death), she'll be less susceptible to OOMing herself.

Honestly? I'm mostly pushing this idea because I want to see Anivia's wall in conjunction with other AoE casters and other abilities. It's a mean utility spell that combines extremely effectively with AOE's and pick-off abilities, so being able to isolate bottom lane engages into 2v1 and 3v1 when your jungler shows up is unbelievably useful. The wall is a godlike tool during Baron fights as well, and if you can combine stuff like Anivia+Karthus during a baron battle? Yes please. Same with dragon in the early/mid game.

And the wall = free brush checks! THAT ALONE IS REASON ENOUGH MANG.

(I'd listen to me man. I was running Zyra support on her release week. They called me crazy (when really I was just bad). GUESS WHO IS LAUGHING NOW.)
When a new idea pops up, people always talk about why it can't work, instead of figuring out how it can. I already began considering it as soon as you mentioned the champion. I've actually seen it work well before, just like I've never seen a Darius bot lane lose in any ranked game I've played.

Also people are still sleeping on support Morg, she's OP in lane.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
i love playing gp support, but people at my elo are so stuck to meta that im just considered trolling

(but level 6 engages are SO GOOD)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
GP is one of my favorite supports. His ult is sooo good for controlling team fights and winning engages.

GP has one of the highest base HPs and with oranges he can walk up and start tanking both champs in laning phase if his adc follows him up properly. This is what i find his biggest factor in winning lane with GP support

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I thought support Morg was common now? I've started doing it, even, and it's pretty ****ing stupid.

Vyke

Smash Champion
I think GP literally does have the highest base HP in the game, but don't quote me on that. Support Anivia would probably do fine. The only problem I see her having ability-wise is getting into range for E without taking some free damage, but that's sort of off-set by Q's ridiculous range, an E follow-up is just icing (lolol) on the cake.

Either way, she'll definitely be worth trying out come Season 3 changes. Supports can build Chalice into Mikael's Crucible (which is amazing) so she'll be less want for mana.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I feel like Morgana support is inferior to both Lux and Zyra atm. They all have the long range bind, but morg has to effectively put herself in the middle of the enemy team to ult effectively, while Lux and Zyra can be dumb from afar.

Spell shield is hella op tho.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Well, I played a couple of games with Holopaw this afternoon and they were lots of fun~

We lost both, but only because in the first game our Rengar was trying to 1vs 1 Jax, and then he laned for the rest of the game. Someone fed Diana so she was 11/2 iirc, so that was... interesting.

The next game our Jungler went afk~

I was Renekton vs Cho in top lane, killed him pre-6, then I got ganked by the enemy jungler. I was like "know" and then constantly tower dived the Cho who was getting fatter and fatter, I used Dominius as he Feasted and he's like "WTF?" and so I started yelling at him in caps.

I won my lane, and I think Holopaw won his since he was ADC, but we lost the game due to lol 4v5~

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
ugh, zero confidence in solo q people. enemy singed purposely starts feeding after we rock early game, then our plat irelia starts tower diving nonstop to give them the win n_n

Top Bottom