• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got A Friend Who's New To Smash? Here Are Some Pointers

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Many players on Smashboards are veterans of the Smash Bros. series, but your friends may not be as familiar with the concepts of the newest Smash Bros. game. If you have a few friends like that, iJustine and Lamarr Wilson have created some videos that explain the series, and will help beginners get into Smash more easily. Also present in these videos is JC Rodrigo, a Nintendo Treehouse member. He has been present at several events leading up to the release of Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, and had a hand in putting together the E3 Invitational - one might call him a community representative of sorts.

Check out the videos below! The first details the basic controls and ideas of Smash, while the second explains how to train Amiibos.

What do you think? Would you like to see more videos like this? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is about to go play his first game of Smash Wii U. Wish him luck on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
#GoodGuyRodrigo

Teaching the new guys how to play :cheep:

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
This is perfect to everyone. They explained everything very directive and fast. Essy to learn, hard to master.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
The most important thing might be Up-B. Almost nobody who starts the game will know that their Up-B helps them recover. They should have mentioned that.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
This is so stupid. He's literally teaching people to only use smash attacks.
The How to Play in-game actually gives a better rundown than this. Maybe newbies shouldn't ignore those, or rather look for actually good players that would know how to teach the basics.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
This is so stupid. He's literally teaching people to only use smash attacks.
The How to Play in-game actually gives a better rundown than this. Maybe newbies shouldn't ignore those, or rather look for actually good players that would know how to teach the basics.
This. I'm sorry but his guide is misleading, showing basic stuff like walking and jumping that an 8 year old could figure out, and not even mentioning the most important thing: Up-B. Al the damage you do doesn't matter if you die the moment you get knocked off stage.

D

Deleted member

I've never been a c-sticker myself, having been taught the art of Smash on the 64.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
"Put your left thumb on this stick," what else am I going to use? My toes?

Tutorial making 101: respect the intelligence of human beings. If someone is intelligent enough to do a google search and find this video on the internet, pretty sure they at least got that part down.

Also, a lot of these tips are pointless, since they are so basic, it hurts. In my opinion, if someone is searching out a tutorial on the game, then they at least know the bare bones of how the game works: How to move, jump, and attack.

Last edited:

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
He advised us to jump with the L-Stick... WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS DOES NINTENDO HIRE???

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
He advised us to jump with the L-Stick... WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS DOES NINTENDO HIRE???
They hire morons that don't even know how to play the games they play on stream/video. A.K.A: the Nintendo Treehouse.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
They hire morons that don't even know how to play the games they play on stream/video. A.K.A: the Nintendo Treehouse.
I legit felt braindead while watching him say you can go entire matches with just the C-stick.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
May as well point out that you need to turn on the console before playing.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
I'm pretty sure that a 4 year old knows you can walk using the left stick

shlemon

Smash Rookie
Woah now, loads of people are being total douches in this thread. This tutorial is clearly meant for people who don't play videogames. Notice how they are all in their 30s at least. Not everybody grew up with game pads.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
This guide is ****. Screw your specials, **** the tilts and all the other moves you can do. Oh, and jump with the L-stick? What kind of morons does Nintendo hire?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Woah now, loads of people are being total douches in this thread. This tutorial is clearly meant for people who don't play videogames. Notice how they are all in their 30s at least. Not everybody grew up with game pads.
People in their mid 30s = born around 1980.

Pretty sure they grew up with video games.

And even if they didn't, I think they could put 2 and 2 together and put their finger on the stick.

The How-To-Play Screen in better than this.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
So they need an advanced tutorial on how to read a pamphlet?

Top Bottom