• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got A Friend Who's New To Smash? Here Are Some Pointers

BBC7

Smash Ace
It's possible to walk in this game? God dayummmm, I'm going to beat all of my friends when I show them my walking capabilities! Toughest kid on the playground right here 2MLG4u

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It's possible to walk in this game? God dayummmm, I'm going to beat all of my friends when I show them my walking capabilities! Toughest kid on the playground right here 2MLG4u
But can you beat dat amazing tip-toeing?

Move aside, wave dashing.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I actually found this video to be very informative and helpful. There was some good advice and pointers in that video that I never even considered. No wonder I die so quickly. Thank you, Nintendo!

Last edited:

JagoTheTiger

Smash Apprentice
WOW......now I feel like a pro smasher, just c-sticking the howl game..
Now im up there with M2K and Armada. MLG # :GCCN:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I actually found this video to be very informative and helpful. There was some good advice and pointers in that video that I never even considered. No wonder I die so quickly. Thank you, Nintendo!
People online that use the B button only will cower before your C-Stick-only skills. Why run and shield their projectiles when you can walk, jump, and charge smashes right up on their faces?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Joking aside, I don't really have anything against this tutorial. Yeah, it's basic and pretty mind numbing to more experienced players but it could be helpful for those generally unfamiliar with Smash and video games. Case in point, I have a some friends who aren't gamers that didn't know how to move around or use attacks until I explained it to them. My wife, who dislikes games, had no idea about the controls until I explained them. She described them as "confusing". However, the biggest goof up was not including the Up B recovery. I find that to be biggest problem for those unfamiliar with the series and game play. So many suicides from that :/

The video is more or less a basic summary of the series that fans can show to thier friends in order to introduce them to Smash. I don't quite get the "What kind of morons does Nintendo hire?!" comments. Seems childish and elitist to me.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Joking aside, I don't really have anything against this tutorial. Yeah, it's basic and pretty mind numbing to more experienced players but it could be helpful for those generally unfamiliar with Smash and video games. Case in point, I have a some friends who aren't gamers that didn't know how to move around or use attacks until I explained it to them. My wife, who dislikes games, had no idea about the controls until I explained them. She described them as "confusing". However, the biggest goof up was not including the Up B recovery. I find that to be biggest problem for those unfamiliar with the series and game play. So many suicides from that :/

The video is more or less a basic summary of the series that fans can show to thier friends in order to introduce them to Smash. I don't quite get the "Whst kind of morons does Nintendo hire?!" comments. Seems childish and elitist to me.
Yeah but the thing is, it would be better to teach them EVERYTHING about what you can do. Like, teach them you pretty much have moves for both the A and B buttons in 3-4 directions, that you can shield, how to walk and/or run, how to dodge, how to recover with Up B or whatever their character of choice has for recovery options, the list goes on and on. It's a lot to take in, but it helps more than "Yeah you can walk, jump and spam smash attacks to win. There's nothing else to the game, just that!!! GLHF."

Again, even the How to Play that plays in the game itself covers every basic thing perfectly with neat demonstrations, this just teaches you how to be a one trick pony that will lose to everyone.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Teaching them everything about the game would be beneficial but it's not entirely needed - especially if the focus of the video is to teach enough for a beginner to pick up the game and play in its most basic form. Maybe they are planning for a three pointer series with. Ideas to follows. However, for a tutorial of the most basic form of Smash, it isn't incredibly bad.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
Anybody that walks into my home with the audacity to spam C-Stick would probably get beat easily. In real life, of course, since I'd probably lose to those #MLG tactics and would need to compensate for something via belt

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
... or just watch training mode?
This is kinda like for stupids if you'd ask me...

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
I now want Little League Competitive Smash to be a thing.

As in, like literally by like 3-6 year olds. Excite.
That would be great. Instead of everyone playing Fox they would all play Link and Kirby. I remember when I first played Melee when I was six... Spam Falcon Punch as many times as possible.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
That would be great. Instead of everyone playing Fox they would all play Link and Kirby. I remember when I first played Melee when I was six... Spam Falcon Punch as many times as possible.
Link/Kirby/Pikachu only, All Items, Palutena's Temple!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I fully support this idea.

Actually I'm sure a sub-10 league can exist in a few years (maybe half a decade), when all those 64 and melee players become dads and moms of like 5-8 year old kids.

Last edited:

DC| Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yayforall
3DS FC
3007-8110-9759
THIS ENTIRE TUTORIAL = FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I... have no words for this... Besides the ones I am saying.... right now...

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I guess its good that they're explaining how to play the game to newcomers, I've just been playing smash since 64, so I don't remember what it was like to not know what to do. I find it difficult to explain the game to people.

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
Many players on Smashboards are veterans of the Smash Bros. series, but your friends may not be as familiar with the concepts of the newest Smash Bros. game. If you have a few friends like that, iJustine and Lamarr Wilson have created some videos that explain the series, and will help beginners get into Smash more easily. Also present in these videos is JC Rodrigo, a Nintendo Treehouse member. He has been present at several events leading up to the release of Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, and had a hand in putting together the E3 Invitational - one might call him a community representative of sorts.

Check out the videos below! The first details the basic controls and ideas of Smash, while the second explains how to train Amiibos.

What do you think? Would you like to see more videos like this? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is about to go play his first game of Smash Wii U. Wish him luck on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
Jumping with L-stick. yeah nooooo

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Yeah! Let's teach our noob friends to c-spam and then watch them refuse to give it up!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yeah! Let's teach our noob friends to c-spam and then watch them refuse to give it up!
This is why literally no one would show this to their friend.
The intro is a lot better at this.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Woah now, loads of people are being total douches in this thread. This tutorial is clearly meant for people who don't play videogames. Notice how they are all in their 30s at least. Not everybody grew up with game pads.
but because so many people on this forum are part of the competitive community, we know that these instructions are not the best for playing competently. Also, the videos have no place here. We play smash, and if we want to teach our friend how to play, it would be better to show them ourselves because we'd give better tips anyway.

so really, we just make fun of it now.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
but because so many people on this forum are part of the competitive community, we know that these instructions are not the best for playing competently. Also, the videos have no place here. We play smash, and if we want to teach our friend how to play, it would be better to show them ourselves because we'd give better tips anyway.

so really, we just make fun of it now.
This is actually a very good point. I didn't mind watching ir, but I was upset that the "intermediate tips" hasn't been out yet from what I could find. We all should be able to teach our friends how to play better than just this video. HELL, Smash's in-game tutorial does better than this in half the time.
These "upcoming" vids better go deeper unless they want to be outclassed by Nintendo before they even had the chance.

ProfessorTakehiko

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0240-2597
This can teach kids to keep hitting their brain cells because of how easy this step is... Way to go, Nintendo Treehouse. At least they're better than the creator's of Sanic Boom.

Top Bottom