• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goku, the Monkey Martial Arts Master for Smash DLC!

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Sign me up for this. At first I seen Goku and of course, I thought of DBZ. Then I remembered Nintendo has this Goku. It would be amazing because the average fan likely doesn't know who Goku is. It'd be interesting to see how it would all play out.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Sign me up for this. At first I seen Goku and of course, I thought of DBZ. Then I remembered Nintendo has this Goku. It would be amazing because the average fan likely doesn't know who Goku is. It'd be interesting to see how it would all play out.
Welcome aboard! :grin:

I think that's something that's traditionally been interesting about Smash in general - sometimes someone shows up who is less well-known than some others, and gets a second chance as a result.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yeah, I can imagine seeing the look on some people's faces if Goku is revealed as a playable character. It'd be pretty funny although that's not the main reason I support him.

edit - btw I'll add you to the support list.

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Welcome aboard! :grin:

I think that's something that's traditionally been interesting about Smash in general - sometimes someone shows up who is less well-known than some others, and gets a second chance as a result.
I'm not sure if Sakurai or Nintendo realizes that. Shulk and Little Mac boosted in popularity when they were revealed, though that's not to say they weren't popular beforehand. When Duck Hunt was revealed, it got people interested in the series again. Kid Icarus was revitalized because Pit was popular in Brawl, too.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm not sure if Sakurai or Nintendo realizes that. Shulk and Little Mac boosted in popularity when they were revealed, though that's not to say they weren't popular beforehand. When Duck Hunt was revealed, it got people interested in the series again. Kid Icarus was revitalized because Pit was popular in Brawl, too.
Little Mac's reveal in Japan: Who da **** is dat?
Shulk's reveal in America to most people: Who da **** is dat?

Yeah, Smash is basically a series reviver (poor Icies). Hopefully, if Goku gets in Smash at all, there will be a new Yuyuki game (or at least a English port of the original Yuyuki).

btw I'm really thankful for the influx of activity on this thread. Thanks guys!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
To get from page 1 to page 2
-About 2 months

To get to page 2 to page 3
-About a day

Time to party

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm still waiting for Duck Hunt Uprising. :awesome:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
How bout just a retro game revolution?
Man, I really do hope that we get a bit more spotlight shone on "retro" characters in the next game's roster. If we get that, hopefully it will obliterate the mindset that these older characters are only chosen to represent a particular platform, as well.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Man, I really do hope that we get a bit more spotlight shone on "retro" characters in the next game's roster. If we get that, hopefully it will obliterate the mindset that these older characters are only chosen to represent a particular platform, as well.
Yeah, there's a ton of retro characters that are good choices for Smash. Excitebiker, Donbe and Hikari, our very own Goku, etc.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, there's a ton of retro characters that are good choices for Smash. Excitebiker, Donbe and Hikari, our very own Goku, etc.
Don't forget Mr. Stevenson, the Urban Champion (who I honestly think could make a legitimately good Little Mac semi-clone), and so on. :grin:

Is it crazy that I'd even kind of like to see a stage based on the otherwise-awful DK Jr. Math? :laugh: I can just kind of picture it having some interactive hazards that you can use to trap or hit people with, in a similar fashion to the numbers that are thrown around by the Dr. Kawashima Assist Trophy.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
If only Nintendo would localize Yuyuki, then he could have a somewhat decent shot at Smash. Look at Takamaru, then again, he is from an action game similar to Zelda while Goku is from a text based adventure (what's up with Nintendo and these NES pairs, Metroid and Kid Icarus, Zelda and Murasame Castle, Yuyuki and Shin Onigashima).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We did... :popo:

But to be fair, Sakurai wanted them to specifically represent the NES era.

:4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt: were added for other reasons.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If we're naming our retro characters, I'd love Ice Climbers, Lip, Sukapon, Goku, Ayumi, Takamaru, Mini Kangaroo, and Mach Rider. Plus, Frogger for non-Nintendo legacy types. Wouldn't mind Prince Sable, Devil, Sheriff, or Bubbles either. Diskun if they could get him to work.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
If we're naming our retro characters, I'd love Ice Climbers, Lip, Sukapon, Goku, Ayumi, Takamaru, Mini Kangaroo, and Mach Rider. Plus, Frogger for non-Nintendo legacy types. Wouldn't mind Prince Sable, Devil, Sheriff, or Bubbles either. Diskun if they could get him to work.
Don't people support Diskun as a Famicom Disk System rep. Goku fits that role better in my opinion lol.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Don't people support Diskun as a Famicom Disk System rep. Goku fits that role better in my opinion lol.
I mean Diskun is the logo so... Honestly it doesn't matter to me. I'd be happy either way.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
All those who want this character for troll reasons disappoint me. We should support a character because we actually like said character.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
All those who want this character for troll reasons disappoint me. We should support a character because we actually like said character.
I like said character. Also, if you support the character, you support the character. Doesn't really matter what your reasons are.

edit - It is better and helps more if you like said character though.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I actually like both Gokus. I'd love to see Nintendo's Goku appear as a playable character for his interesting mystical moveset, and awesome staff action! (And the very fact that he's a retro.:p)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
We did... :popo:

But to be fair, Sakurai wanted them to specifically represent the NES era.

:4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt: were added for other reasons.
I know that. :) What I mean is, these days you see people saying that Duck Hunt Duo made it in purely because of the Zapper, and stuff like that, and that post-dates the Ice Climbers' debut in Smash by quite a long time.

For me, in no particular order, I'd like to see Mr. Stevenson, Goku, Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Sheriff, Tamagon, and the return of the Ice Climbers, as far as the NES era goes. I know we'll never get them all, but that's my list.

There are several more titles of the same era that I'd be happy to see represented with stages, items, Assist Trophies, and so on, too, but if I were to attempt to go through those we could be here for a long time. :laugh:

I've always imagined Diskun making it in as an Assist Trophy, along with the eShop shopping bag mascot (does he have a name? Does anyone know?)... :laugh:

I couldn't possibly agree more. Well-said!

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
For me, in no particular order, I'd like to see Mr. Stevenson, Goku, Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Sheriff, Tamagon, and the return of the Ice Climbers, as far as the NES era goes. I know we'll never get them all, but that's my list.
Wow, Goku is quite high on that list of yours, did you want him originally, or did my OP charm make you like him :4wario2:. Also, Sheriff is arcade I believe not NES. And also *COUGH COUGH Star Man from Pro Wrestling*
I've always imagined Diskun making it in as an Assist Trophy, along with the eShop shopping bag mascot (does he have a name? Does anyone know?)... :laugh:
Yeah, Diskun seems more of an assist trophy type of character. Maybe him and the eShop bag could team up lol.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

There are several more titles of the same era that I'd be happy to see represented with stages, items, Assist Trophies, and so on, too, but if I were to attempt to go through those we could be here for a long time. :laugh:
I'd be fine with seeing these guys get any type of rep right now (AT, stage hazard, trophy). Any bit bit of exposure can lead to a full on revival if people take to them well enough. Little Mac's popularity went through the rough after his AT reveal, that probably ended up playing a huge role in him getting a new game, and his eventual appearance in Sm4sh.

If you want a character that's extremely unlikely that also happens to be the most perfect troll character ever, it helps said character's chances immensely, seeing that Sakurai has admitted to putting joke characters in, in the past. No reason not to advertise it as such.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Wow, Goku is quite high on that list of yours, did you want him originally, or did my OP charm make you like him :4wario2:.
I wanted him originally, even before I joined Smashboards. :grin:

Also, Sheriff is arcade I believe not NES.
Quite correct! I should probably have made a note of there being a pre-NES-era candidate in my list. :laugh:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
btw do you have any ideas about my previous post (the argument one).
Oops! I forgot to say! :laugh:

I think that it's definitely worth adding to the OP. The fact that Yuyuki and Dragon Ball have a shared inspiration/source material will probably always be a sticking point for our favoured Goku, which also means that the "troll character" thing will probably always be around, too.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Oops! I forgot to say! :laugh:

I think that it's definitely worth adding to the OP. The fact that Yuyuki and Dragon Ball have a shared inspiration/source material will probably always be a sticking point for our favoured Goku, which also means that the "troll character" thing will probably always be around, too.
Updated the thread. Check out my new argument. Is it good? Does it defend our monkey pretty well?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The retro characters (except Ice Climbers) Sakurai adds aren't random characters. They have their places in Nintendo's history and represent Nintendo's success. Sakurai saw their potential for uniqueness as well.

:popo: added because Sakurai wanted a NES rep and he liked the team idea
:4gaw: represents the Game & Watch series; it was the earliest Nintendo product to garner major success; I guess he liked the idea of a 2D fighter
:4rob: the toy that saved the gaming industry after the video game crash of 1983; not sure what Sakurai saw in a NES peripheral
:4duckhunt: represents the NES Zapper games; Duck Hunt was a commercial success as the most-sold shooting game in the world; Sakurai liked the idea of a fourth wall shooter

Goku or Donbe could be considered if Sakurai wanted someone to represent the Famicom fairytale games and he sees something special in them even if their games probably didn't move units like the retro trio did.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Updated the thread. Check out my new argument. Is it good? Does it defend our monkey pretty well?
Big thumbs-up from me. It's very reasonable, and doesn't deny that the perception exists, whilst also showing that it shouldn't be a real issue. :)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Thanks! If you have any more ideas for the OP be sure to tell them to me.
Shall do! I haven't had any yet, mind you...

While I'm here, though, I wonder if there's any official artwork or concept art out there relating to the two Kirby series Yuyuki cameos? Actually, come to think of it, at first glance, they're a pretty odd combination... Although when you consider how the Kirby series is probably the most unashamedly Japanese series Nintendo has, and how many cool historical and mythological references it actually has (I've mentioned a few over in the Bandana Waddle Dee thread over time :laugh:), I guess it starts to make sense.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Shall do! I haven't had any yet, mind you...

While I'm here, though, I wonder if there's any official artwork or concept art out there relating to the two Kirby series Yuyuki cameos? Actually, come to think of it, at first glance, they're a pretty odd combination... Although when you consider how the Kirby series is probably the most unashamedly Japanese series Nintendo has, and how many cool historical and mythological references it actually has (I've mentioned a few over in the Bandana Waddle Dee thread over time :laugh:), I guess it starts to make sense.
There actually is!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
There actually is!
Oh wow! That's official artwork? I'd seen it in someone's signature, but hadn't realised that - I actually thought it was (very, very good) fan-art.

That is, without a doubt, one of the most awesome things ever. :smash:

Last edited:
Top Bottom