• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get your lucas critiqued here thread. post critique vids here!

Levitas

the moon
A tournament I would have been at if you guys had just made it last weekend instead of pushing it back 2 weekends.
We would have had 0 attendance between JAB1, chicago, and JV's thing. It was bound to work out one way or the other.

MeLL0W

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYq4iHChJU
A Match with my Team Partner FightAdamantEevee and his Sonic.
*note: There are two matches here and the second one is Peach so after the Lucas match you can stop watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO9daJHsvoI
This match is a Team Session with my Partner FAE and his Pit (Which is a very compatible team pairing btw =0)

Please give me your ratings ecspecially the Team one because I aim for getting Lucas more known in the doubles scene. Please and Thank You. =)

Levitas

the moon
WOAH, no need to close a combo vid thread. Those aren't really there to critique your gameplay like normal vids.

zombiebrothel

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYq4iHChJU
A Match with my Team Partner FightAdamantEevee and his Sonic.
*note: There are two matches here and the second one is Peach so after the Lucas match you can stop watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO9daJHsvoI
This match is a Team Session with my Partner FAE and his Pit (Which is a very compatible team pairing btw =0)

Please give me your ratings ecspecially the Team one because I aim for getting Lucas more known in the doubles scene. Please and Thank You. =)

hello fellow lucas player. my first bit of advice is simply to work on the accuracy of you moves more (esp. grab). Lucas has a great variety of moves, so with practice, you should be able to really reduce the air hits (as in hitting air, not hitting in air)

secondly, and possibly more importantly, you really need to utilize pk thunder. i dint see you use it other than for recovery. seriously, mastery of this move takes lucas to the next level. especially in a level like yoshis island, or any similar one, if lucas has the opponent off of the level and to the side, with proper timing, its not hard to juggle opponents off w/ this move

Levitas

the moon
Welcome to smashboards, zombie ^_^

pk thunder isn't useful onstage, but you did hit its one offensive application right on the head. PKT is good as an edgeguard. Don't be using it onstage against opponents onstage often if ever, it has massive amounts of lag as well as a large startup, and it moves pretty slow. You'll get hit hard if they rush you, hit the bolt, and then smash you.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
I edited in the right URL, sorry. Go back to the post.
fsmash spam is kind of bad, he overused fsmash, and the use of it, wasn't intelligent, like "let's see if i can hit him with the stick". Needs to work on recovery, Lucas has a lot more than only his pk thunder, and the way he was recovering (upB, near and below the stage) is not a good idea vs a character with a reflector. I'd like to see more jabs, tilts and aerials from that Lucas. And next time, don't post a 3-stocked match :p

please, critique this fight :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpFyqhL4AiY
tell me pros, cons, what i need to work on, some matchup advices, anything you can tell me, thanks :)

c3gill

Smash Ace
tell me pros, cons, what i need to work on, some matchup advices, anything you can tell me, thanks :)
here goes:

awesome PKT2 use @ :20.
why the PKT2 @ :25? you gave him an opening to punish you, your lucky you didnt get met with a utilt to your face- your lucky he gave you a chance to shield.
:40 - nice avoiding of his explosives, your winning the game of stage control at this point.
:45 - why the running grab? waste of an opportunity, shouldve punished his landing with a fresh F-Smash for the kill
:52 - pay better attention to his grenade- there was no reason for you to jump into in as you did.
:55 - nice job on killing that mine.
his kill on you @ 1:02 was kinda a surprise, it was a good kill by him.
1:06 - beautiful revenge kill :) that was flawless.
1:14- 1:37- it becomes apparent that you have totally lost control of the stage. he is moving you around, and predicting how you will react. This is the time where he was in complete control.
1:41- 1:50 - your rebuttle, and amazing. you called his ****, punished his every move, and got a very early KO. 96%, on Snake? beautiful.
1:55 until 2:30- your playing ok, exchanging blows with him. not great, but decent.
2:31- how predictable was that? you rolled right into it.
why arent you picking up his grenades, rather than swinging at them with a bat?
3:00- again, you screwing around rather than chucking his 'nades back at him. if nothing else it knocks away at his shield, and prevents them from blowing you the **** up.
That ending was... crazy. i dunno how you couldve stopped it, other than a perfect shield or a very well timed PK Fire. Great on his part.

All in all, an ok match. you seemed really streaky, playing very well at some times and not so well at other times. Generally, when you were doing well you were controlling the stage, and vice-versa. I know this is kind of a given for playing against Snake, but it seemed like an extreme when you were playing. Control the stage better, and if he isnt holding them, throw his grenades back at him! Its either free damage or predictable shielding, so run in there and Nair his shield up!

As I siad, an ok match- just gotta control the stage better and ....win? lol. its always fun to watch your matches, APC.

edit- hopefully this is a decent critique! (i hope i can critique better than i play, lol ;))

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
fsmash spam is kind of bad, he overused fsmash, and the use of it, wasn't intelligent, like "let's see if i can hit him with the stick". Needs to work on recovery, Lucas has a lot more than only his pk thunder, and the way he was recovering (upB, near and below the stage) is not a good idea vs a character with a reflector. I'd like to see more jabs, tilts and aerials from that Lucas. And next time, don't post a 3-stocked match :p

There was only one other Lucas match... I think.

I thought I should find the worst one of him to show his greatest weaknesses. But I understand. You want me to critique that? Or everyone else?

EDIT: Doesn't matter, you're covered.

Thanks a lot.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
Hey, I would like some help to improve my Lucas, please.
Any input would be appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d3-CUQoTiw vs Snake
sorry this took so long
ok lets see:

0:44 - we used PKT. i can see why, but Upsmash would've actually been more appropriate. see how snake was using his nair? he wouldnt hav had time to protect himself if u tried to hit him with one.
0:58-1:03 - u hit him with it the first time: thats good! the 2nd one missed. but hey, it happens. try timing it better next time.
1:14-1:18 - lol. . . but the dair was good. u used it correctly and it did help with the KO
1:42 - full hop your dair's if you;'re going to approach with it
1:57 - great use of auto-canceled Nair and Jabs
2:13 - he was falling towards the left, but u ran towards the right and used Upsmash. be a little more patient and work on your timing!
2:18 - i do this sometimes too, but dont roll into your opponent. this got him the KO
2:32 - i wouldnt recommend approaching with fair because it can get shield-grabbed easily (which is what happened. and it led to a GrabRelease-> Jab combo.) use Nair or Dair for approaching. Fair is ok, but only once in awhile
4:05 - u rolled into his attacks again. . . dont do that
4:33 - congrats

what u should work on
-approaching less with fair
-short hopping your PKFires
-not rolling into attacks!
-timing your upsmash

other than that, not great job

Chuee

Smash Hero
Not a bad lucas. Just use more jabs and be careful with usmash (You seem to use it a lot).

Chuee

Smash Hero
Once again, good job.
The Link one was odd at that suicide. You seemed to make a good comeback though.
The marth player was kinda dumb and didnt use the Grab Release CG on you and hardly used DB at all.
A few things
  • Nice job recovering low with PKT2
  • PKT is usually a better option when your opponent is offstage than bair

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I only watched the first match (hilarious ending :laugh:), but here goes.

It looks he had trouble at close range. When you closed in on him he would just sorta of jump around or try PK Fire, like he wasn't sure what he should do. I saw almost no forward tilt! D: It's a great move, fast and creates distance between the enemy and yourself. His approach was also rather weak, I saw too many empty short hops, like he was trying to do something but wasn't quite able to pull it off. Full hop dair works well in a lot of cases, as well as Magnet Pulling towards the opponent followed by nair. He also ate way too many Wizard's Foots... er, Feet. This is where he should make use of PSI Fire to force Ganondorf to use a different tactic. On the plus side he got off more grabs than I see a lot of Lucases do, he should just be careful not to overdo it. Not bad at all-- just rough around the edges.

xXTACXx

Smash Journeyman
I only watched the first match (hilarious ending :laugh:), but here goes.

It looks he had trouble at close range. When you closed in on him he would just sorta of jump around or try PK Fire, like he wasn't sure what he should do. I saw almost no forward tilt! D: It's a great move, fast and creates distance between the enemy and yourself. His approach was also rather weak, I saw too many empty short hops, like he was trying to do something but wasn't quite able to pull it off. Full hop dair works well in a lot of cases, as well as Magnet Pulling towards the opponent followed by nair. He also ate way too many Wizard's Foots... er, Feet. This is where he should make use of PSI Fire to force Ganondorf to use a different tactic. On the plus side he got off more grabs than I see a lot of Lucases do, he should just be careful not to overdo it. Not bad at all-- just rough around the edges.
Wow thanks a lot, this is great advice I know he will love.

Crimson Child

Smash Cadet
NNID
crimchild
I'm having some problems with Lucas dittos.
I know this guy who's kinda like a fan of me :laugh: The thing is, I just can't seem to beat him in Lucas dittos even though he loses to everyone else I'm having no problems against. You shouldn't be better than those you look up to :psycho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW4J89wSS6w
I may have tried too hard on getting that chaingrab at the end of that first match.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Thunder Gimp him.
Ftilt OOS against this guy cause he seems to use laggy moves a lot.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Great matches Glarion
Your one of the best out of state Lucas players Ive seen

I thought u was going to lose that first match but u surprised me and won
That 2nd kill in the 2nd vid was funny lol

I like your use of nair,uair, and magnet pull (mind gamez:))

The only thing is more jabs and ftilt
Other than that perfect

Levitas

the moon
@ glarion's first vid:

:08 - usmash at 0 gets punished even if it hits. Use it for kills if at all.

:20 - utilt isn't very safe on shield. If you see this coming, try an ftilt or jab. Or jab cancel to ftilt.

:30 - you let the PKT get too far from you. Instead of looping it counterclockwise, you could have kept going clockwise to try to PKT2 away from the bad situation, but you got grabbed.

:47 - watch where you're landing. he gets a few followups here because you decided to put yourself in landing lag right next to him. Even if you think your out of shield options are decent, you need to already be on the ground to get into a shield safely.

:54 - textbook Dair > dtilt lock

1:04 - screwing around with airdodges is fine, but either use it once in a row to get close for a ground attack or use it a few times at a safe distance. You jumped at him after using it a few times and landed right in front of him (again, landing lag in front of people = you get hit)

1:46 - nice tech chase, though you could have moved a couple body lengths to the left and covered both getup options he had.

2:00 - you disrespected his area of control and got hit with a bair. It happens, especially w/ lucas.

2:18 - unsafe but effective PKT.

3:00 - another unsafe PKT. keep them closer to you or get hit.

when you missed that dair > dtilt, you should have hit his shield a few more times with staggered timing on the dtilt and hoped for him to drop his shield at a bad time.

Pretty good video. Would buy again. 8/10

HAGGS

Smash Apprentice
Hi all,

Here is a video from a recent tournament I was in. If you could give me a few tips that would be awesome. Unfortunately I could not get my hands on a "loss" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsNlyJ0DGv0&feature=channel_page

I know I use pk-fire ALOT, but Ganon hits really hard and I didn't want to be close to him unless I knew he wouldn't get a hit off on me.

Thanks in advance,

-Haggs

Chuee

Smash Hero
A lot more PKFs. Use reverse PKF to keep yourself far away from ganon since he hits haaaarrd.
Don't be afraid of boxing with Ganon. His attacks come out kinda slow so you should be able to shield them fairly easy. Oh and I played that guy before =]

Chuee

Smash Hero
  • Less approaching with dash attack
  • Only use usmash for kills
  • More PKF and Ftilt
  • You must recover!

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
  • Less approaching with dash attack
  • Only use usmash for kills
  • More PKF and Ftilt
  • You must recover!
Ok haha thanks
Usmash was because I just got so overwhelmed with him so I tried to Usmash to get him to go away.
I can't recover LOL

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
Nice c sticking haha. I love c stick =D
- Essentially what Chu said.
-Try to avoid using pkt2 to recover so much at close range. The range of that move is huge so you can start that move off further off the ledge and at an angle so that it is easier to recover. And practice it =D. It looked like you had an extra jump too when you started pkt2 at times, so use everything you have until you have to resort to it I suppose. Also another good recovery would be to learn pk zap jump, which would send you flying into the air, giving you an easier advantage to get back to the stage. Don't mess up though because then it will result in a stock. so that move takes a bit of practice... I still mess it up haha.
-More pk fire short hop and avoid using up smash since of the lag unless it's for the ko and you are sure you can get it.
- Use nair alot and use your *** combos, like A,A, tilt forward, or A,A, downtilt.
-Oh and I didn't see the MK use much tornado, but if you meet the spammy ******** metaknight player use your sh or fh pk fire and it will cancel the tornado! Make sure you have the hit, or just keep away since it's so annoying.
Hope it helps! :)

Top Bottom