• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get your lucas critiqued here thread. post critique vids here!

Levitas

the moon
From now on, instead of making new threads for us to critique your lucas, post them here.

That's all there is to it.

limit 2 vids per post. keep it reasonable, guys

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hm...I guess that these threads have become an issue here?

Personally, I don't think this is necessary. A new member making one thread and just letting it die out isn't too big a deal. I mean...people just want attention, lol. But hey, hope it works out :p

:093:

Levitas

the moon
If we redirect all the new threads here and they put their vids here, we'll only have to check one thread and the others will die faster. Less clutter on the front page = real threads less likely to die.

Veril

Frame Savant
O.o

I'm going to a (legit) tourney in Rochester on the 1st. If I don't embarrass myself and actually end up playing one of the characters I counterpick Lucas for I'll post here.

Cloake

Smash Cadet
I'm just going to add my 2 cents here, but I notice that most char forums with a consolidated critique thread tend to have less response per vid post than a thread per player. This, on top of the fact that the Lucas boards are dead enough where up-and-coming players are still a welcome addition rather than it being a spam problem. It's not like we get new threads here all that often except for the "Hey I Discovered a New Trick, You Can PK Fire Right Before You Hit the Ground!!11" and "I Learned An Infinite With Lucas But the Victim Needs to Be Holding a Bomb Against the Wall" threads.

S.D

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS-aNuAmUBI&feature=channel_page

There is my latest vid on my Lucas. Please tell me what you think. There was a better vid, but it got deleted for whatever reason, and it was against a good DK ;_;
It looks alright, I was more impressed the first time around tbh but this was a better opponent and you used more appropriate moves most of the time. Better use of Pk fire and aerials in general. Try not to use falling dair close to the ground you will be punished for the ending lag and close range pkt1 can be easily powershielded then punished with a grab. This is very bad vs D3. Try not to premeditate. It looked like you were trying to get out that magent pull AT at the start of the match to the exclusion of anything else. Maybe I'm wrong, but try to react to the situation rather than planning what you want to do in advance.

EDIT: And I think this is a good idea Levitas, saves all the ****ing spam that fills up these boards. Maybe, if you can be bothered, update the first post with a list of the players wishing to be critiqued and maybe links to their vids?

lil cj

Smash Lord

There is my latest vid on my Lucas. Please tell me what you think. There was a better vid, but it got deleted for whatever reason, and it was against a good DK ;_;
U hav a pretty good Lucas...similar to mine actually:)
That DDD was below average though...a good D3 CGs more
My advice is to jab, ftilt, and dair more
Also, tether recover sometimes
Good job with the dtilt to fsmash KO in the 2nd stock:)
It kinda hard to say if u improved or not b/c D3 is such an easy opponent for Lucas and that match was so short
If u can get try to get that vid back of DK...that would show us if you really improved b/c DK is one of Lucas' Deadly 4.
Good job though...great Lucas overall

:094:

Chuee

Smash Hero
The DK wasnt bad but he did make some mistakes. Im suprised he didnt try and gimp you with bair. I dont think that matchup is really as tough as we thought it was. Your lucas has gotten alot better since the first vid.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Yep, you're getting better alright. :) You know your nair/dair combos, PK Fire at the right times. I'm still not seeing much jab or ftilt. For instance, when DK rolled behind you, you responded with a SH Bair. Which is extremely slow... Ftilt will quickly get your opponent away. Doing a pivot grab would be even better! :D And try to stop rolling towards your opponent. It's extremely easy to punish, and it can make you walk into a strong move. Such as DK's Giant Punch...... :urg:

Yoshi-Kirby can we play each other online? That way my Lucas can get rated. :) Nobody else here on the Lucas boards plays online, I think......

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace

Chuee

Smash Hero
Good job FK. You made a few mistakes (online ;_;) but came back with absorbing the Pk freeze =]. You good at zap jump, im the worst at that. I can only do it about 3 times out of 10 ;_; Your also good at teching, saw you do that a lot. Epic ending on the second match.

I need to find a dazzle, i want to make vid =(

Levitas

the moon
I'm gonna be detailed. Don't be offended, I WILL rip this video apart and find as many mistakes as possible. :)

:12 - you trip, he moves behind you, and you start utilting in front of his shield. Do a SH nair and move behind him for a safter option to pressure with. If he catches on that you move behind him all the time, start moving to be centered with him so that he has a harder time telling which way to grab, or end the AC nair with a jab combo or ftilt (depending on how soon you think he'll grab--later = ftilt, sooner = jab combo)

:25 - he lets you on the stage, rolls to the edge, and is cornered. you could have recognized that he is deciding to retreat and close the gap with a nair/dair combo, but instead decide to play it safe with pk fire. Next time, if you decide to use PK freeze, let it be when he's able to retreat from PK fire and has done so. Going into the air and closing in would have actually given the circumstance than 2x pk fire > pk freeze at that range.

:35 - you try to recover high. he sees this coming. ALMOST ALWAYS go for the edge first. it's really really really safe. You doubled your percent as a result of poor recovery. Once you have your footing, immediate PK fire > PK thunder. It works out, but PK thunder onstage against an opponent that isn't recovering is always a risk.

1:00 - the fact that you had to risk a hard PKT recovery here is due to you deciding to hold "back" as you passed the edge. technical error, probably. More edgegrabs = less damage for you to take = longer lives = better games.

1:04 - you descend with lucas's horribly telegraphed Dair against DDD's disjointed Uair. It works. WTF?!?!?! after that, the PK fire is well spaced.

1:18 - Pointless PK freezes will limit your options when they get closer. Fortunately, you still had time to Usmash. Feel free to do this any time your friend decides to ignore the edge from so high up again. bad DDD, bad.

1:28 - lol reverse magnet pull for the lulz

1:32 - he grabs you. That's why you land behind or in the middle of him. This could have gone worse.

1:38 - that PK freeze was more legit. The upsmash should not have hit, but it worked out. Fsmash would have been safer, and had they gotten the shield out, cool things would have happened like DDD getting pushed to the edge.

1:45 - Dtilt to Fsmash is good sometimes, if not reliable. Note that he only died because of terrible DI. Not your fault, but know that DDD has a better life expectancy than he's showing.

1:53 - Nice end of a nice string.

End. Lucky you. He SD'd because you screwed up your recovery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUm1pcyIhi8

YES! I recovered the DK vid somehow. This is my Lucas against a good DK mainer. I tried to do the best I could against him, but seeing as he is one of the Deadly 4, I'm not sure if I did that good.
:12 - DON'T land on those small platforms. They're a trap for you to get stuck in landing lag and have poor positioning.

:17 - good place to dsmash. Don't do it more than a couple times unless your opponent refuses to catch on.

:23 - DO NOT PKT there. Don't PKT onstage against an opponent that isn't recovering. Don't PKT into a constrained place where there are so many platforms to get in your way. Don't follow it up with an equally poorly thought out PK freeze. DO mix it up with PK fire retreats and aerial advances. Not sure what that reverse PK fire was later on.

1:07 - perfect example of why Nair is so useful on this stage in particular. That's the kind of stuff you want.

1:42 - it worked out, but rolling behind opponents is generally a bad call, unless they decide to always attack at specific times. Like always.

1:48 - you ignore the edge, and get hit back out again as a result. The edge is your best friend in recovery. Don't ignore it. Actually, it kills you. If you *have* to PKT recover, do it from farther away and you won't get spiked.

1:57 - Don't PK fire so close to people. It hurts lucas.

2:09 - look for more opportunities to trap people on those small platforms like that. Good utilt chain.

2:20 - you push your momentum, and crowd DK without using particularly safe moves. Try to manage yourself a little better to avoid getting hit just because you think it's a good idea to keep them reeling.

2:32 - if he starts pounding where you can't get in, go above and around to the other side/middle (where safe). Remember, you have projectiles here, so if he gets too close to a pillar, you can PKF him back.

2:58 - please stop jumping up past the edge. You're giving precious seconds to the opponent to close the gap and set up an edgeguard by doing this.

3:00-4:00 - you do some stuff. Nothing that I haven't commented on already.

4:05 - Don't try the same trick immediately after it working once (unless it will work). DK who's falling after being hit by a usmash isn't gonna see another one coming... oh, wait. yes he is.

4:24 - you land right in front of him. that would have been GG if he released the big punch.

4:27 - cut down on pointless usmashes

4:40 - lucky you. that could ahve gone poorly for you. I'm sure you were DIing up and ready to tech, though ;)

End - he zoned you to death. At the end it's important to not decide to just rush in any time you can. choose your moments better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x_SbG9MGUg

FireKirby7 wants to be critiqued in this vid. He is the Purple Lucas.
Unless you want me to go through both vids, I'm gonna do the first one. Just mention it if you want both.

:06 - take my comments with a grain of salt, I don't do online, so I'm gonna ignore that it is online.

:21 - I see you chose lucas to fight lucas with. Might I suggest marth? lolololololol jk

:25 - get off the lucas fair. PK fire does what you're trying to do better, and he's at 0, so magnet doesn't matter. Use fair for attacking lucas when he thinks he's gonna hit you from above and you're on the ground.

:38 - SH Dair = lag = bad. Full hop or do a nair, choose one. Probably not intended though

:42 - Don't do a nair to pressure someone that's half the stage away. Do it right on them.

:45 - aerial magnet is almost always worse than fair.

:57 - get rid of your habit of using moves for close range when the opponent is way across the stage or far above you.

1:34 - good idea.

I'm watching, but I don't understand what is happening for most of this. I can try to straighten out why your traps aren't working sometimes, but online is like latin to me, so I'll ask someone more qualified for online critique to post in my stead.

Ask again, and I'll do my best for that vid.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I now play offline quite a lot, and I can play equal (actually, better) as to how I play online.

Now that I do, I think people just have ****ty internet.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be detailed. Don't be offended, I WILL rip this video apart and find as many mistakes as possible. :)

Unless you want me to go through both vids, I'm gonna do the first one. Just mention it if you want both.

:06 - take my comments with a grain of salt, I don't do online, so I'm gonna ignore that it is online.
I saw some stupid stuff I did because of the lag. Random dash attacks to the other side? Not my fault. :urg:
:21 - I see you chose lucas to fight lucas with. Might I suggest marth? lolololololol jk
I highlighted the above text.
:25 - get off the lucas fair. PK fire does what you're trying to do better, and he's at 0, so magnet doesn't matter. Use fair for attacking lucas when he thinks he's gonna hit you from above and you're on the ground.
Yes, I know. Hard to forget it because I main Ness and Ness's fair..... You get the idea.
:38 - SH Dair = lag = bad. Full hop or do a nair, choose one. Probably not intended though
I would never do a SH Dair, I dunno how that happened...
:42 - Don't do a nair to pressure someone that's half the stage away. Do it right on them.
Alright.....
:45 - aerial magnet is almost always worse than fair.
Be more specific plz. Like in what situation. I used it there to stall in the air for a bit. Other random ones were predictions of opposing PKFs.
:57 - get rid of your habit of using moves for close range when the opponent is way across the stage or far above you.
A pivot grab was supposed to come out..... That's not one of my habits, trust me.
1:34 - good idea.
Yep
I'm watching, but I don't understand what is happening for most of this. I can try to straighten out why your traps aren't working sometimes, but online is like latin to me, so I'll ask someone more qualified for online critique to post in my stead.

Ask again, and I'll do my best for that vid.
Levitas, critique the second match please. :)
Yoshi-Kirby, thanks for uploading, later I can show you my Ness if you want.

Booseter Seat

Smash Cadet
This reminds me that I should probably, sometime soon, get a video up on YouTube and post it in here. Lately I've been wondering too many times if I would be a good Lucas against the average Brawler. Really the only challenge I get when I play is Level 9's, and those sure don't help me improve. If only I could play online without items or four people at one time, and have decent connection. :ohwell:

Levitas

the moon
This reminds me that I should probably, sometime soon, get a video up on YouTube and post it in here. Lately I've been wondering too many times if I would be a good Lucas against the average Brawler. Really the only challenge I get when I play is Level 9's, and those sure don't help me improve. If only I could play online without items or four people at one time, and have decent connection. :ohwell:
Play against people. PLEASE.

S.D

Smash Master
Needs to learn how to edgeguard. RAR Bair or pkt1 are way better options that dropping off pointlessly looking for an uair. The goal is to keep them off the stage not help them get back.

Approach more with SH nair which autocancels and FH dair. Both good options vs IC as it is difficult to be grabbed using these approaches.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I'm gonna give this a shot.

:024 - Edge guarding options. Ice Climbers get rocked by PK Thunder off stage. It's more than 70% of the time the best edge guarding option against them.

:027 - Don't do standing PK Fires. SH them. Standing has way too much lag.

:041 - Here, he charges in with a magnet hoping to get a full blizzard. BAD idea. This is a very common bait tactic for Ice Climbers, you'll probably never magnet a full blizzard, you'll have to jump cancel magnet into an already going blizzard. Your #1 main priority when fighting IC's is to NOT get grabbed.

1:07 - You had a lot better options than just trying to approach with a grounded PK Fire.

1:12 - Stop just blindly running off the stage to edge guard. @_@

1:24 - You approach with aerials, not blindly running around on the ground. Your best bets to approaching a single IC's are to defend yourself with ftilt -> SH nair, FH dair, or attempt to pivot or shield grab, since IC's aren't that fast.

1:54 - You really shouldn't recover with PKT2 unless you really have to.

1:57 - Do NOT just do a standing grab. Comes out on frame 13, and has the ending lag as if your rope was covered in molasses. ...Also, don't try to grab both IC's.

2:08 - Nice SH nair. Could see some more of these.

2:27 - PKT edge guard!!!

2:35 - Definitely an opportunity to grab. Make sure you pummel too, before throwing. Lucas has the highest DPS pummel in the game.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
Singles
PLUR(IC) vs AJ(Lucas)
(second fight)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZPjEZ3F24
0:09 - don't know what you were trying to do, but it didn't work and you got grabbed

0:16 - good use of dair as an antijuggling tool

0:18 - random fsmash, why? I use random smashes when i'm scared, were you? lol and i use dsmash, it has three hit, and more range, and you can react faster after the attack ends

0:25 - so far, you are using too much grounded pk fires, is ok to spam pk fire, but SH pk fire are way safer

0:30 - too early to use usmash

0:49 - you waited too much in the ledge, you had to go to the moving plataform and start the edgeguard

1:09 - grabbing the ICs is a bad idea

1:13 - you used fsmash to punish at 0%, and it was Nana, you had too many choices here, nair combos, dair combos, dthrow to utilt, even enough time to PKT2. Keep you fsmash fresh

1:15 - again, to early for usmash, you hit with it, but don't get used to using it that much

1:29 - usmash...

1:36 - yep, you were scared

1:38 - did you see how bad is Lucas' grab?

1:46 - why did you take too long to use SH nair?

1:55 - you used dair too close to the ground

2:02 - please tell me you wanted to use another move instead of PK Freeze

2:22 - utaunt induces trip XD

2:48 - man, what did you do there :( you had to land in the platform, or else use the tether

3:01 - running usmash is too predictable

3:22 - you died too early, after the ICs hit your PKT2, i would PKT2 again as soon as i can, aiming to the edge or the ground

3:24 - looks like you tried to grab the edge with tether, remember that if you are in "damagin state" (don't know how it's called >_>) if you press Z, you'll do an airdodge, to grab the ledge, press Z 3 times, it should be like this airdodge -> tether -> grab edge fastly

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Wow. Dtilt is so good. I gotta put that in my game. >_>
Your Lucas is still looking sharp! Still, your only problem is rolling towards your opponent. Gotta get rid of that habit.

And yeah, that last kill on Falco is siggable. :laugh:

Irsic

Smash Ace
Falco can easily get out of utilt juggling, so I wouldn't rely too strongly on that.

Chuee

Smash Hero
K heres my critique

:25- Dont use Magnet to try and attack
:39- Stay away from using Cancelled Dairs
:41- Like i said above
1:05- Dont use a PKF that close or you'll get punished
1:25- It not that good to dodge roll and charge a dsmash, too punishable
1:26- Like i said at :25
1:41- Try not to use a PKF when you have to shoot upward because your gonna get hit since it takes longer to get the Lightning down there.
1:45- Dodge roll from there will get you killed
1:53- Shouldn't have tried to approach him. He used DownB twice in a row so you shoulda predicted that
1:59- Dont dodge roll when your behind them its really risky
2:09- lol mindgame
2:16- Random fsmash no no no
2:21- shouldnt have attempted that grab
2:26- Random fsmash no no no

Overall great match and ending. Iloled

Top Bottom