• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get your lucas critiqued here thread. post critique vids here!

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Less grounded PKF and abuse frame 2 jab. Becareful when throwing out random smashes. Using F-tilts at lower percents is better than throwing out f-smash.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
That's short XD
I try to do it, but against olimar it was on purpose to kill the pikmins on me.
no.

10no.

fsmash is laggy, the whole move lasts near a SECOND.

two dtilts would do the same thing and is much less punishable. two jabs will also work.

also hitting pikmin with fsmash would stale it, that's not what you want.

lil cj

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCkI5fVABtY
Posted in compendium thread, mostly because I didnt notice this thread, which seems a bit more concise.
Pretty good with limted pk fire. Dont use side smash so much or you'll make it stale. Side Smash is one of Lucas' best kill moves, use ftilt instead in lower %
You could have killed Diddy at :55 if you had side smash fresh.
Good job with bair spiking, you have the spacing right.
Dont ever recover with PKT2 when your above the stage, you will get punished...use psi magnet or air dodge back to the stage instead.

HelpR

Smash Ace
yeah, it kills incredibly early, it's just that despite the fact that it's easily the worst reflector in the game, I keep trying it to see if I can reflect diddy's banana back at him for a free hit, but I usually get punished.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PAGEbrawl

uploaded about 30 videos over the last 2 days, take a look, all from this week.

Kirby Yellow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5215-0158-8673
OniTheWolf: I saw some of your videos, and I like your Lucas. It's similar to my style =D

The only advice I think I can tell you is to try to vary more your recover. It was obvious that you will use Pk Thunder. Try to use more Zair to recover ;D

(My english suck up, if you don't understand something, tell me, and I'll try to explain)

I have no videos D=. I train with the CPU lvl 9(v.v) and posting videos agains the CPU is...a ****.

HelpR

Smash Ace
wow... get ***** >>

no but seriously, your lucas isnt too bad, just a few comments:

this is easily falco's best stage, and while lucas works pretty well here if you know how to use the stage (thundersliding comes to mind) the falco played a much more campy game then you did, running circles around you.

There were often times you were going under the stage to use PKF because you b-sticked it, try not to do that. if you go under the stage on jungle japes there's a chance that you'll be hit by the clap trap as had happened there. If you insist on doing it however, keep in mind that it spawns on the right gap of the stage at the 8th second of every 10 seconds. (ie: 58, 48, 38 and so on) moving slowly left.

Falco is really hard to gimp on this stage, i'd honestly just go for a straight kill if I were you.

use psimagnet more, but mix it up. it's unpunishable after you absorb a projectile if you shield/spot dodge or jump.

post another vid on a different tstage. we cant get a good idea of your skill if your only vid is of you getting ***** by the stage

Blue_Lightning

Smash Cadet
wow... get ***** >>

no but seriously, your lucas isnt too bad, just a few comments:

this is easily falco's best stage, and while lucas works pretty well here if you know how to use the stage (thundersliding comes to mind) the falco played a much more campy game then you did, running circles around you.

There were often times you were going under the stage to use PKF because you b-sticked it, try not to do that. if you go under the stage on jungle japes there's a chance that you'll be hit by the clap trap as had happened there. If you insist on doing it however, keep in mind that it spawns on the right gap of the stage at the 8th second of every 10 seconds. (ie: 58, 48, 38 and so on) moving slowly left.

Falco is really hard to gimp on this stage, i'd honestly just go for a straight kill if I were you.

use psimagnet more, but mix it up. it's unpunishable after you absorb a projectile if you shield/spot dodge or jump.

post another vid on a different tstage. we cant get a good idea of your skill if your only vid is of you getting ***** by the stage
Like I said that's all the footage that was ever uploaded, and it was only uploaded because of how badly and hilariously ***** I was. I'll ask King Funk and Flayl if they have recorded any other of our matches and ask if either of them could upload them. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Might as well ask, what's Magnet Crouch Cancel? Never heard of it

HelpR

Smash Ace
lol at hd option for a camcorder recording.

lessie. you know how to autocancel the nair well, gjob with that.

Splice in more dair, especially at higher percentages. it's a very high priority aerial, and sets you up for nice kills

like the jab to fsmash.

If you autocancel a nair in front of an opponent, dont try to utilt, either ftilt or jab. much safer as utilt is much easier to be punished, and the opponent will only have a 5 or 2 frame window respectively to punish you

spotdodge > roll. kirbys can easily punish a roll with fsmash. dont do it unless you're retreating, and even then it's a bad habit.

master the dtilt lock. it's a godsend for lucas.

you can absorb the last part of kirby's final cutter, just try it, it's loads of fun. Or alternatively, show that kirby you're not afraid and walk to him and fsmash. you wont hit with the fsmash, but you'll reflect it into his face. (this'll decay the fsmash, but in a friendlies I like doing it for the fun of it)

get more spot on with lagless pk fire

psi mag has alot of ending and starting lag. unless you're deliberately absorbing something or wavebouncing try to refrain from using it.

use uair more. alot more. easily lucas' best aerial close to the stage, autocancels beautifully on almost every frame up until halfway through, and will force your opponent away.

dont follow kirby off the stage, just dont. lucas is weak as hell off the stage.

I like your attempts to use PKT, try and get better with using it as it can be a good edgeguarding tool.

Not a bad lucas, you're obviously quite decent at spacing, just try to incorporate more dairs and uairs, they're both big parts of lucas' killing power.

edit: I dont like angering grammar nazis. :D

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Lol at the HD option for a camcorder recording.

Lessie, you know how to autocancel the nair well, good job with that.

Splice in more dair, especially at higher percentages. It's a very high priority aerial, and sets you up for nice kills

Like the jab to f-smash.

If you autocancel a nair in front of an opponent, don't try to u-tilt, either f-tilt or jab. They are much safer on block, as utilt is much easier to be punished, and the opponent will only have a 5 or 2 frame window respectively to punish you

Spotdodge > roll. Kirbys can easily punish a roll with f-smash. Don't do it unless you're retreating, and even then it's a bad habit.

Master the d-tilt lock. It's a godsend for Lucas.

You can absorb the last part of Kirby's final cutter, just try it, it's loads of fun. Or alternatively, show that Kirby you're not afraid and walk to him and f-smash. You won't hit with the f-smash, but you'll reflect it into his face. (This'll decay the fsmash, but in a friendlies I like doing it for the fun of it)

Get more spot on with lagless PK Fire

PSI Magnet has alot of ending and starting lag. Unless you're deliberately absorbing something or wavebouncing try to refrain from using it.

Use u-air more, alot more. It is easily Lucas' best aerial close to the stage, autocancels beautifully on almost every frame up until halfway through, and will force your opponent away.

Don't follow kirby off the stage, just don't. Lucas is weak as hell off the stage.

I like your attempts to use PKT, try and get better with using it as it can be a good edgeguarding tool.

Not a bad lucas, you're obviously quite decent at spacing, just try to incorporate more dairs and uairs, they're both big parts of Lucas' killing power.

edit: I dont like angering grammar nazis. :D
The grammar nazi has spoken.

Anyway, F-smash doesn't stale when you use it to reflect.

HelpR

Smash Ace
dont usmash so much. it's easily punishable and the risk generally isnt worth it.

use nair more, it autocancels whenever you short hop, and can follow it up with a nair, just keep in mind not to autocancel it in front of the enemy, as it's easily punishable.

If you're getting knocked away each time you approach, fall back a bit, you keep running in each time you take a lump to get another. the most egregious example of this was the start of round 2

dont decay fsmash. it's easily your best kill move. wait till 80 then whack MK with it, almost guaranteed to kill fresh unless you're too far from the blast zone

stop usmashing so much. unless it's wifi it's gonna get you killed. you seriously lucked out on the last stock of the first vid, a simple fsmash would have sufficed, not to mention that if you didnt land it, you wouldnt have gotten hit in the face with a dsmash from MK.

that MK was just pure garbage. he was shuttle loop happy and way too predictable. classic MK fodder.

jesus christ you lost to a ganon? I mean, it's jekyll and he's a legit ganon, but seriously. I thought that was physically impossible, especially since you could pk fire him away until he was off the edge, then just wall of pain him to death. ganon can be beaten very easily by apply a little bit of gay gameplay to the matchup. just pk fire and retreat each time he approaches. ganon has almost no options against lucas.

RC is a bad lucas stage. never go there unless you have a death wish.

>> reading through this I feel like a douche but I think most of it needs to be pointed out

tl;dr: Nice to meet you Kinryu, I'm helpr. In short, stop acting like a wifi lucas. srsly.

Kinryu

Smash Cadet
Honestly, that's a lot of what I usually tell him lol. Don't get the wrong idea, this kid is the best Lucas player I've ever seen or played against. No joke, definately the best in the midwest (lol at Tyr's self proclaimed greatness spam) But, the best critiques are your worst matches bro... what could you have told me if it was just a vid of him meteor smashing Jekyll 3 times in a row? Don't feel like a douche lol I'm the douche for putting bad vid's of my friend up in the first place. Ill be putting good vid's up soon though, after we get back into tourny play. For now, Ty for the honest response.

HelpR

Smash Ace
I wall of pained a pikachu using bair until he was in the bottom left corner, then used the bair one last time to spike him.

Then the game crashed. True story.

It's difficult to gauge the skill of a player from one or two matches. all you can do is look at the matches, point out what's wrong, and then try and improve using that knowledge.

I'm looking forward to those vids, and tell your friend good luck

pockeystick

Smash Apprentice
What are some grab combos that work at high percentage

It seems that d-throw sends opponents to high for me to combo and they attack me

HelpR

Smash Ace
pockeystick: isnt really a Q&A thread, but whatever.

lucas has no grab combos after like 40%, which is the latest you can expect dthrow to up air to work. It can work in percentages after that, but you should save your dthrow for in case the opponent survives past 120.

I generally try to dthrow --> utilt below 20% or pummel once, dthrow, upair until 40.

after 40%, I generally just pummel according to percentage, then throw in whichever direction.

hope that answered your question.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Can this be unstickied Leviatas? Since the other one is everyone uses is it really necessary to have two?

Top Bottom