• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Melee into Evo 2013! (FOR REALS... maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
we just overtook guilty gear =O
And on our way to overtake Persona 4! :D

Also, a professionally written article would be awesome. Especially if it got featured on SRK somehow (even if most of the comments section SRK is filled with trolls, we know the REAL people that matter in the FGC don't act like that).

Revven

FrankerZ
Persona 4 BEATEN.

Remember guys, Evo 2k12 had 6 games (two of which were over a year old, Tekken 6 and MK9, and one that was only a few months old which was SCV), so making top 5 is really good. But that doesn't mean we should stop! :)

Should defo. be shooting for top 4! Let's try to get ahead of TTT2.

Max?

Smash Champion
What are the top 5 games right now and how can you tell? I want to advertise this properly. Also, what games that are "shoe-ins" have we beaten? And does anyone have any idea when this poll is finished?

v2.x

Smash Rookie
Voted.
This is amazing guys, truly amazing.
When I voted about 3 hours ago we had 600 votes.. Now we have over 1k and rising.
Not bad for a 10 year old kids game.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Everyone should use the "Ask Friends" feature to spread the word more effectively. I've already gotten 8 of my FB friends who don't post on Smashboards to go ahead and vote for Melee. Only invite FB friends who you know would vote for Melee!

Gea

Smash Master
What are the top 5 games right now and how can you tell? I want to advertise this properly. Also, what games that are "shoe-ins" have we beaten? And does anyone have any idea when this poll is finished?
You can't see the poll bars?

Right now it goes:

KoFXIII (totally deserves it)
UMvC3
SF4:AE
Tekken Tag 2
Melee
Persona 4 Arena

So it is ahead of Persona, Guilty Gear, and Mortal Kombat which all are fairly active communities that have seen EVO before (minus persona, but that's basically the successor to BB so...)

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, technically the only shoe-ins we've beaten so far were Persona 4/GG but... only one of those would really be in the line-up because they fall under the same category (anime fighters).

Evo Staff try to not have similar games in their line-up while also looking at how active the communities are and etc. So if GG is way more active than P4A by the time Evo rolls around then GG would likely take the spot instead. They try to have at least one anime fighter lately.

The definite shoe-ins are: UMVC3, SFIVAE2012, and KOFXIII. We haven't beaten any of those, KOF has 1,600 votes, with UMVC3 and SFIVAE having around 1,300-1,400 last I looked. TTT2 has 1,200 and would likelyyyyyy be the game to fill the 3D fighter community for Evo so I guess that's also a shoe-in in a way (pending on how active the community is by the time Evo rolls around).

A lot of the staff's decision is weighted on how active the community is, if the game is still thriving and hyped. The poll could definitely have an impact on their decisions, otherwise, I don't see why they'd make it if they already knew what games to have.

And probably why they're doing this is because of how many fighters have come out this year alone.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The King of Fighters XIII 1691
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 1481
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 1452
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 1223
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1110
Persona 4 Arena 1074
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R 1058
Dead or Alive 5 615
Mortal Kombat 9 599
Soul Calibur V 556
Divekick 544
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma 425
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 388
Darkstalkers 3 (Vampire Savior) 228
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code 167
MLP: Fighting is Magic 160
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 152
Why is Cross Tekken here? 141
Arcana Heart 3 104
Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring 89
Gundam VS Gundam EXETREME VS. 82
AquaPazza 51
Mario Party 2 46

Gea

Smash Master
To be fair, it's hard to write Melee off entirely as being upvote-spammed when we've had some pretty large nationals, all things considered.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
The King of Fighters XIII 1691
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 1481
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 1452
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 1223
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1110
Persona 4 Arena 1074
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R 1058
Dead or Alive 5 615
Mortal Kombat 9 599
Soul Calibur V 556
Divekick 544
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma 425
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 388
Darkstalkers 3 (Vampire Savior) 228
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code 167
MLP: Fighting is Magic 160
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 152
Why is Cross Tekken here? 141
Arcana Heart 3 104
Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring 89
Gundam VS Gundam EXETREME VS. 82
AquaPazza 51
Mario Party 2 46
People voting for Ehrgeiz, haaah. "Why is Cross Tekken here?"

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Thx for the update S4kurazaki/aisight.

The thing you guys have to realize is we have to beat the opposition by a drastic amount to be considered. If it was solely about which communities are biggest/most active, Melee would have been a staple for 10 years straight. Games like MK have a much smaller community but they have sponsors/developers willing to contribute.

The only way we can offset this is by showing our attendance is so significant that we're still more valuable than MK could ever be, sponsors or not.

We have the power to do that too. We have the numbers. We're a lot bigger than they are. We just have to get the word out so we destroy this poll.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
I think we will crimson, aside tekken the other games reach a dead end apart from people who attend anime expos or play it online

we are an active COMPETITIVE community who attend events, our votes should definitely count more since we would be attending rather than spectating from home

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I think Mr. Wizard and co. are trying to figure out the one or two "outliers," aside from the obvious big kahunas (AE, Mahvel, KoF, Tekken, et cetera). Every EVO to date has more or less had those kinds of games in the line-up.

...not trying to demean Melee's status as simply ****ing awesome or anything, but it's a matter of perspective from the FGC's POV.

Smooth Criminal

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I would think that trumping Mortal Kombat by over 500 votes is already pretty significant. Then again, EVO runs games on PS3's despite mass community preference just because Sony puts so much money toward them.

Revven

FrankerZ
If Melee appeared at Evo again, I have no doubt in my mind everyone would do their best to show up. Evo is still a name in the community that people have wished we could return to again as it brought us some of the best matches still to this day. Nobody has forgotten what 2007 was like and we absolutely want to recreate that magic in 2013 to show how much this game has grown since then.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
If Melee appeared at Evo again, I have no doubt in my mind everyone would do their best to show up. Evo is still a name in the community that people have wished we could return to again as it brought us some of the best matches still to this day. Nobody has forgotten what 2007 was like and we absolutely want to recreate that magic in 2013 to show how much this game has grown since then.
I would go to Vegas and compete if Melee made the line-up. I **** you not. I wouldn't even care if I got knocked out of pools super early or something. Just to be there at one of the BIGGEST convocations for competitive gaming would be enough, and to play one of my favorite games alongside of the community I still hold near and dear to my heart would be epic.

Smooth Criminal

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Quick update, missed the hidden ones. I'll only be showing games with over 100 votes from now on.

The King of Fighters XIII 1715
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 1503
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 1471
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 1239
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1158
Persona 4 Arena 1093
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R 1077
Dead or Alive 5 627
Mortal Kombat 9 604
Injustice: Gods Among Us 589
Soul Calibur V 560
Divekick 555
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma 436
Street Fighter X Tekken 419
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 402
VIRTUAL FIGHTER 5 FINAL SHOWDOWN 360
Capcom vs SNK 2 291
Skullgirls 282
Super Street Fighter II Turbo 259
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike 254
Darkstalkers 3 (Vampire Savior) 230
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code 168
MLP: Fighting is Magic 161
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 153
Why is Cross Tekken here? 145
Pokémon Black 2 126
Arcana Heart 3 104

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Everyone should use the "Ask Friends" feature to spread the word more effectively. I've already gotten 8 of my FB friends who don't post on Smashboards to go ahead and vote for Melee. Only invite FB friends who you know would vote for Melee!
I want to re-emphasize this. There is a limit to how many Smashboards users we can get to vote, but if you can reach out to your casual Smash friends on Facebook, it'll make a huge difference. We're only 70 votes behind Tekken and with more momentum, it's entirely possible we could land in the top 2 of this poll by the time it closes.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Put it this way, FC is the only major tourney I've ever been to, I'm not that great, I've gone to two tiny Minnesota locals and that's it and I don't really know people and such, and STILL I would either go to Evo or donate to player funds or SOMETHING just to do my part. Melee at Evo in 2013 would be several different dreams of mine all come true at once.

If any Evo people come read this topic (if they want to research the community or possible turnout or something), I officially pledge to buy at least one product belonging to every single one of your main sponsors if Melee makes the lineup. Unless they all cost like, several hundred dollars. :p

We're close to passing Tekken as of this writing (less than fifty votes behind). Keep it going. Anyone who loves this game, anyone who plays this game, anyone who wants this game back in the spotlight, vote. It takes two seconds to make a difference. Even if they don't include us, it'll send a message that we're a real, active community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom