• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Social Thread

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
DULUTH ******S

COME TO WABA WITH FIVE DOLLARS FOR GAS AND SLEEPY WILL TAKE US TO WOODSTOCK

TIME OF ARRIVAL - 3 PM

@biglou - i'll tell you if something changes.
This today? I can make over there myself if anything.

nevermind..that's woodstock. I phail at reading(with large words too lol). I'll try and head over waba tomorrow.

tubes

Smash Ace
I'll be there tomorrow.

and @ Dogy: so do you think if Snowday was properly advertised and more than just "that thing on page 3" It would have a decent turnout? I mean obviously its too late now but I'm just wondering like is it really a lack of decent tournaments or just lazy players?

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
Head count for monthly?

Me (hopefully)
Antic
Six
Diablo
TuRtL
Reflex
Kismet2
Biglou
Desu
fenix
billy (better be there if im there planning to team for like a month now >_< )
Yiff
Rayku
Zomb
I think ill be showin up to this

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
never mention sirlin mix to me ever again. and, ewww, Mike wants to learn Smash? i'll just tell him to stick to good games next time i see him... <_<
Please do. I told him I'd teach him some stuff but he'd probably hate it since I remember his gripe about SC4's frame system first time i went to East Point. I just had this hilarious mental image of telling him about a shine and the end result.

=o
somethin ******** like that
ill be at waba tomm so everyone come
And now everybody wants to go to snowday. *rolls eyes* Ah well.
and @ Dogy: so do you think if Snowday was properly advertised and more than just "that thing on page 3" It would have a decent turnout? I mean obviously its too late now but I'm just wondering like is it really a lack of decent tournaments or just lazy players?
Who knows? I'd assume no.

It's so easy to point fingers and blame a bunch of things; tournaments, people, etc etc. The fact of the matter is the melee community is nothing like it used to be. A good bit of the people who used to be around are, for the most part, gone for reason or another.

One of the easiest things to put the blame on is lack of decent tourneys. Realistically, there isnt a lack at all, but it looks like it because there are weeklies, but a $5 dollar tourney isnt worth it. A lot of people just dont want to waste the effort. Considering that the melee community is the one that has to do driving to get to waba, it makes sense. There's a reason why you dont see melee outside of the "usual suspects" in the area; having to fill up, drive, and potentially have a negative net gain is just not worth it.

The hardest thing to blame is "people being lazy". Realistically, that's just playing favoritism towards the game. There's plenty of reasons not to play melee; dont like the game, dont have time, have things you'd rather do, dont want to put forth the effort to not win, dont want to put forth the effort to barely win anything, etc etc. It's not like it's the only fun thing in the world to do. Heck, alot of people who play it and do well dont really consider it THAT fun.

__

I mean hell, I'll put myself on the spot just to prove a point. So i've been to a few monthlies, i cant really count how many I've been to. Havent gone to a weekly yet because I knowbelieve that the payout + frequency is going to turn people away from going.

I didnt go to monthlies in the beginning for pretty much the same reasons, plus the fact that I was still in Valdosta when this started. Monthlies were still $10 dollars at that point. Sure enough, I come back to Warner Robins, show up to a few monthlies during the transition from $10 to $5, and the attendence drops.

So for the few times I managed to win, I win something like $30 bucks. It costs me $30 just to get up there and enter, and I'm not including anything other than gas, door fee, and entry. Now, if the attendence gets smaller, what's my incentive to go? Mind you this is all under the assumption that I can win; Imagine I'm somebody who would go knowing they have no shot in hell of winning.

What's my incentive to drive for a $30 dollars?

The fun? Realistically, everybody can just stay in their area and play. "But why dont they go to the tourney to get better?" That's like asking people why they go to tourneys when they know they wont win. It's a matter of how you look at it.

I could go on and on about it, but the point goes like this.

You put those 2 main points together, and you have a pretty good scope of why people start dropping out. Money's not worth it, and if fun's really the case, why not just stay at home and save the time and effort. As it tricks down, more people start getting caught up in it. That's how we wound up where we are. I can think of quite a few people who havent shown up to any monthlies/weeklies, and who dont really go out of their way for tourneys because of those reasons. I fall into that category myself, I cant act like I dont.

That's how ANYTHING works.

Purple

Hi guys!
still, snowman didn't advertise his thread at all.

eh, usually hype and incentive to want people to come gets the amount of people going> When everyone's constantly asking "are you going to snowday this week". The showup amount gets larger, i wouldn't say it's completely based on one person's advertisement.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Dyno or VietG or someone with texture hacks

You must now make captain falcon into captain planet

right
now

(this is TOTALLY tournament talk, *****ez)

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Dyno or VietG or someone with texture hacks

You must now make captain falcon into captain planet

right
now

(this is TOTALLY tournament talk, *****ez)
idk how to make textures, but i will look for some really odd ones just for you ;) IFFFFF anyone brings a laptop, ill bring my external SD reader, but i wana swap texture hacks for tourney legit hacks

tubes

Smash Ace
Dogy's response
Makes sense but sucks for me not having these "people in my area" to play. Hopefully during the summer I'll be able to go to wherever it is these smashfests 2 or 3 times a week I hear about are as school will no longer prevent me from doing so. In the meantime I'll just hang on to the idea that there's still hope for a revival. I mean if we had like a Down South Jukin': Bimonthly edition that might solve some ****. By the way what the hell was it that made that tournament so successful? Was there some other factor involved or did the fancy name do the job on its own?

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
. By the way what the hell was it that made that tournament so successful? Was there some other factor involved or did the fancy name do the job on its own?
GAwes hosted it.

He's extremely good at advertising his tourneys too.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

So luis, when you going to teach me tetris attack so i can NOT enter it at wabapalooza and NOT give you my $5 dollars? XD
The next time we're around a setup, I'll be very happy to show you the ropes. It's mostly just experience, though.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
The next time we're around a setup, I'll be very happy to show you the ropes. It's mostly just experience, though.
I'll keep that in mind.

I've been meaning to get up on that and Puzzle Fighter forever, although I know Wabapalooza is running HDRemix. I dunno if I wanna **** with hard drops and new drop patterns for that game. >.>

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I will money match ANYONE in Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League, whenever, forever. <3

Rayku

Smash Lord
I wanted to, but there wasn't a setup at CoT4.

Online's not really an option for me.

I've heard wonderful things about him, though.
Watching him is just a pleasure.

Just have to mute it to get rid of Abra making that stupid sound effect, because you hear it so consistently.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Snowday 2 (waba melee weekly) singles bracket:

Teams were round robin, I only remember the best 2 records:

1st- The GA Boys (FullMetal+Soft)
2nd- DDDDDD (Chaddd+DashDanceDan)

tubes

Smash Ace
on foot option? The **** ***** *** version of Starfox 64 you playing boy? You mean landmasters? Those things are scrub tier!

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you don't remember? If you got medals in everything on the expert mode, you unlocked the mode to play in versus on foot. You had a blaster, and were faster than the landmaster, but couldn't charge(I think).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouEWkh8id20

sorry 'bout the bad quality. You were a tiny target when you were on foot. That's why I liked it.

I have SF64 on Virtual Console.

It is awesome.

tubes

Smash Ace
Holy **** I never knew this. Also I had forgotten how ****ty the ground looked in that game. Lol giant low quality city drawn on the ground.

Wouldn't on foot mode get ***** by lock-ons though?

Top Bottom