• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Just like how all that Geno posting from 'Insiders" lead to Geno being the next character oh wait...
That's not at all comparable. Everything that's come up regarding Sora has literally been: "Nintendo tried to get Sora but they couldn't." Irman Khan said it was because Disney of Japan didn't want to, and this guy is now saying it's not happening because Disney is too pricey.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Rogersbase eluded to something happening on the October 16th on the latest episode of Japan Time.

Does anyone know anything?
He was really emphasizing something was gonna happen that day too. Wonder what.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I just thinked and we should think on this way: If Banjo, Terry and Byleth amiibos will be launched in 1 year, why reveal it now and even giving a version to Sakurai's house? It's just too weird. We should use something called logic

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
The Partners Showcase reveal was one of the worst reveals in Nintendo history. We waited for months for a Nintendo Direct only to be greeted with 4 minutes of a WWE game. Great 😬
Lmao speaking of WWE, I was on the eShop the day before yesterday and it was the 19th best selling game.

The power of memes knows no limit.

Last edited:

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
I wonder if the amiibo date was just a mistake? It would explain why they deleted the tweet. They haven't released an updated version of the tweet though, so that's kind of odd.
Perhaps the date changed and they are seeing if they can release them sooner. But apparently Nintendo Canada still has the release date announced?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nintendo of Europe and Japan don't have the announcements for the amiibos either. The Nintendo of Canada post may very well be a mistake

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
If the rumors are true about Super Mario RPG2/remake, would they reveal Geno before announcing the new game or after?

On a side note, would it even get announced in a partner direct or a general direct?.... or just tweet shadow drop it....

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Listen, I'm probably the lone Sora supporter in this thread.

Mondo's rise to be an insider is hinging SOLEY on the fact that he's claiming to be an insider and agreeing with Imran about Disney blocking Sora... which is a broad claim ANYBODY could make.

It's like saying "Hey guys, I'm an insider here. So one of the names on Nintendo's list was Scorpion, but it was shot down pretty quick due to its violence and Mortal Kombat not exactly being a thing in Japan" Like... yeah, that's pretty obvious information, I just spun it to sound like a hot scoop

Anyone who's being honest knows Sora's chances are abysmal, it's something anybody could say and be reasonably right! I don't know why people are hanging on to Mondo's word just because he agreed with Imran (Who was speculating and even still thought Sora had a chance, but no one ever wants to remember that part), Mondo was also COMPLETELY wrong about the Steve presentation when he claimed Monster Hunter and Lloyd would both be Mii Costumes.
Just wanted to add that Sora is my 2nd most wanted character after Geno. I actually think the licensing issue for Sora is a little overblown. It would be beneficial for both Disney and Nintendo to have Sora in Smash, so I'm confident that if Nintendo wanted Sora in, they would get him.

I also think it's possible to get both Geno and Sora in the same pass. My only reasoning for this is just due to the sheer amount fan request for both characters. If this is going to be the end of Smash Ultimate, I could see Nintendo trying to fill this pass with as many fan requests as possible. Although, if we only get one of them, Geno is way more likely.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
So do you guys think if Geno makes it into Ultimate Square-Enix will allow him to return in Smash 6? I hope so that maybe we can get Mallow in the next game.
I think that depends on if Nintendo wants to go back to Square again, which they probably would. If Square would allow Geno being a costume and spirit, they’d probably be fine with him returning after already being added, though probably not without Cloud and Hero coming back as well.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
So I looked up the video where Imran mentioned Sora and he made a prediction that either Sora or Chief were coming.

A minute or two later they were talking about how talks for Sora almost certainly happened, then one of them asks if it might be Disney that would keep Sora from coming, to which Imran says it would be Disney of Japan specifically.

The fact that he predicted Sora just moments before, coupled with the "Disney vetoed Sora" talk seemingly being hypothetical makes me believe he wasn't confirming or deconfirming anything.

Here's the video so you can come to your own conclusions.

There is some swearing, so be aware I guess.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think that depends on if Nintendo wants to go back to Square again, which they probably would. If Square would allow Geno being a costume and spirit, they’d probably be fine with him returning after already being added, though probably not without Cloud and Hero coming back as well.
And it was heavily rumored that Cloud was the last veteran Sakurai got the rights to add into Ultimate as Square-Enix wanted him to be DLC again according to rumors. If true, "Everyone Is Here!" almost didn't happen and I think Salurai even mentioned it almost didn't happen as well.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
You say that Waluigi has a lot in his favor. Honest question: Could you list some for me? I know he's got a relatively large following, but aside from fan demand, what else does he have?
Sorry for the late reply, off the top of my head:

1. Obviously the big fan outcry for his deconfirmation in Ultimate. Which had major News outlets cover it.
Never happened before with any character that was deconfirmed for Smash.

2. Nintendo mentioning the "Waluigi for Smash" topic four times after said fan outcry, two of which were by then President of NoA Reggie Fils-aime who said he'll let Sakurai know of the fan support Waluigi has garnered, and then much later when asked about Waluigi appearing in the Fighters Pass couldn't give a straight answer, and simply said: "We’re not here to discuss that at this point in time".

3. Nintendo suddenly taking interest in Waluigi, giving him an alt before both of Luigi and Wario in Mario Kart Tour. And releasing an update to Mario Tennis Aces just to include a new (hastily made) intro focusing solely on Wario and Waluigi.
Also, there's currently an Event for Mario Kart Tour's 1st anniversary, and Nintendo chose Waluigi alongside 4 Main Mario Characters to promote it.
https://smashboards.com/threads/a-new-wah-volution-new-waluigi-support-thread.485216/post-24117003

4. Nintendo posting about Waluigi on a regular basis on their social media accounts since last year.

5. Removing him from certain polls on their Play Nintendo website after winning the 2019 Valentine's Day poll by a landslide with over 1 million votes against characters like Mario, Luigi, Peach, Link, Zelda, Kirby, and Isabelle.

6. Nintendo teasing about Waluigi in an article that was posted on their News Channel on Switch.
https://smashboards.com/threads/a-new-wah-volution-new-waluigi-support-thread.485216/post-24012269

7. The Paragon leak, which specifically stated that we're getting Undertale content (Sans + Megalovania) and Waluigi.
Was able to accurately describe Hero's alts and Banjo's trailer + leak BotW 2.

8. Nintendo shutting down Legacy XP which featured both of Geno and Waluigi, with the former being the main focus.

9. Assist Trophies can be disabled when certain conditions are met.

And finally

10. Waluigi being a veteran AT, having an already working model, and him being one of the most wanted characters for Smash while also being a 1st party Mario character.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So I looked up the video where Imran mentioned Sora and he made a prediction that either Sora or Chief were coming.

A minute or two later they were talking about how talks for Sora almost certainly happened, then one of them asks if it might be Disney that would keep Sora from coming, to which Imran says it would be Disney of Japan specifically.

The fact that he predicted Sora just moments before, coupled with the "Disney vetoed Sora" talk seemingly being hypothetical makes me believe he wasn't confirming or deconfirming anything.

Here's the video so you can come to your own conclusions.

There is some swearing, so be aware I guess.
Yeah i dunno why ppl are stupid enough to think he would predict a character and immediately deconfirm it lol, he was just answering who would be the people responsible for Sora not getting in if he doesn't get in, that's all. He still predicts either sora or chief will be the biggest hitter of the pass. It's so simple but people love twisting words for their own benefit, even if the words are crystal clear

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Papagenos made a pretty good point in his recent video re: the Bomberman Mii costume

Once it's being used, it's functionally identical to an AT upgrade. It's using the exact same render as the AT, and the things people say about having the same AT and character on the stage at the same time being "confusing" is equally applicable to this Mii costume.

So if they can't be on the stage at the same time, it means they don't mind toggling off ATs if that character gets upgraded. If they can be on the stage at the same time, it means they don't care either way and the "ATs can't be upgraded because it's confusing" rule is yet another fan rule unceremoniously cast aside.

I'd say this means Waluigi and Isaac are on the table moreso than they were before this. How cool would it be if there were bonus AT upgrades after the pass?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
You say that Waluigi has a lot in his favor. Honest question: Could you list some for me? I know he's got a relatively large following, but aside from fan demand, what else does he have?
Feel free to disagree, but I feel that what you stated here is the bulk of what Geno has in his favor. I think the main thing Geno has going for him right now is an enormous amount of fan demand. Outside of that, I think Sakurai's old interview and the absence of the Mii Costume is also in Geno's favor, but I believe the fan demand is the main thing Geno has.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Yeah i dunno why ppl are stupid enough to think he would predict a character and immediately deconfirm it lol, he was just answering who would be the people responsible for Sora not getting in if he doesn't get in, that's all. He still predicts either sora or chief will be the biggest hitter of the pass. It's so simple but people love twisting words for their own benefit, even if the words are crystal clear
He still predicts Chief even after Steve? I mean I'm not totally counting out Green Space Dude, but he seems a lot less likely now, at least until something like a Fighter Pass 3 becomes a thing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Feel free to disagree, but I feel that what you stated here is the bulk of what Geno has in his favor. I think the main thing Geno has going for him right now is an enormous amount of fan demand. Outside of that, I think Sakurai's old interview and the absence of the Mii Costume is also in Geno's favor, but I believe the fan demand is the main thing Geno has.
I agree. While I'm not the biggest Geno/SMRPG fan, I support his inclusion because of awesome people like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and papagenos papagenos . But does that mean I think Geno is a iconic character? No. He doesn't have the legacy that Ridley and K. Rool have being the main antagonist of some of Nintendo's biggest IPs or the legacy Banjo & Kazooie has being a N64/3D platforming icon. Geno will make it in due to solely Sakurai's biasness and his popularity and the fan massive fan support. But I will say due to how long and hard people fought for Geno's inclusion, he most definitely deserves to be a fighter in Smash.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I dislike leaks in general. Only 5% of leakers are actually being truthful, and the rest of the 95% is complete bs. The only thing they do good is that they give people something to talk about when there is nothing at all to discuss. And it gets even worse when people start justifying arbitrary leaks. Say someone predicts Mario Kart 9 comes out in November, but it actually comes out in January. "Well they were off because you know COVID and maybe their source didn't get a concrete date and maybe"

Right now, is there any actual leakers worth giving a damn about? As in, they have a legitimate track record of getting things accurate and truthful? Or are the biggest names in the scene right now just hitting the mark every now and then but aren't always completely accurate? I hate being riddled with "well they were wrong because of x y and z but we should still listen because blah blah blah."

I miss when leakers said something is going to happen and it'll happen at this date and then it happened. Now it's a game of moving goal posts and listening to a room of voices when the actual leakers with credibility are being drowned out. (Well, I guess it was always that way, but maybe recency bias is making me think it's worse nowadays). I want the truth!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't believe people have been requesting Geno since the "If there was a Smash 2 poll" Wild.
To be honest, I'm not surprised. The Melee poll was going on in 1999 and that was only 3 years after SMRPG came out. Geno was still relevant and new at the time so it would make sense if he got a good number of votes.

QQS

Smash Lord
Im not expecting reveal of Fighter soon, not even in November. If it’s going to happen in 2020, it will be in December. Hope it’s December rather than January.

But I still expecting Geno playable. For me Geno and Crash are a 100%. Lloyd a 90% and Hayabusa a 70%. I prefer these 4 over a Pokemon. The only exception I will love to happen is another NonTriforce rep (due to Zelda being my favorite franchise ever), another Sega rep (I root for Knuckles or Tails but I see most likely Eggman, which is fine also). Of course all these comments based on the reality, cause if it depends on me, give me Zero from Mega Man X (due to Mega Man being my second favorite franchise, and Mega Man Classic my most wanted ever before Geno).

Anyway, I’m done with Geno. Give me Geno and I can leave in peace.

GENO is happening 100%, remember that.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
My thing with Waluigi’s inclusion is simply that he’s a no-brainer for Nintendo.

Extremely High demand, 1st party, already modeled (heck, even lots of sounds), legacy-value, quirky kit-potential they can go off the rails with...

I’m figuring him as a surprise bonus at the very end. The biggest troll shock of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom