• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
All this talk about the RPG soundtrack today got me thinking.

Geno's in the game as a (legendary) spirit, and a token icon.

Yoko Shimomura is already on board, and has remixed numerous tracks for the game.

There isn't a single SMRPG track in the base game.

I always felt that if we found any, Geno would be dead. But I never thought about the contrapositive potentially being true as well. Why wouldn't they include any music from the game, when they already got the character rights, and the original composer? That would've been so incredibly easy. If they had no more plans for Geno aside from what we got in base, then it wouldn't make much sense at all to leave it out.

You can also look at Isaac...While it looks like there was never any plans to make him playable (unfortunately), he still got a couple of tracks.

Maybe I'm just restating what people already know, but I hadn't really thought about what a glaring omission it was.
Considering each character dlc comes with more music tracks, it is a solid thing to consider.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here, save this everyone:

e28.jpg

I hate Hitagi and I hate Xenother, if I'm going to be honest. I'm caring less and less about spreading everything I heard. I'm not joking, people were openly sharing Verge's Enix list in large Discord servers, and then I get in trouble for putting it on Smashboard, LOL. Fine then. :)
>hating leakers as much as me
That is exactly why you are the king, man. They're jerks anyway.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Whenever I get familiar enough with a person online, I always imagine them as their avatar.

I mean, it makes sense, since alot of people choose their avatars because it connects to them to some extent, so...
This, and when they change their avatar it's like seeing them with a wildly different haircut, or having shaved a thick beard you've never seen them without.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm so happy Geno is a legendary class spirit. It makes me happy. Even if it is a bit odd to see him depicted as more powerful than Uber OP stuff like Bayonetta characters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm so happy Geno is a legendary class spirit. It makes me happy. Even if it is a bit odd to see him depicted as more powerful than Uber OP stuff like Bayonetta characters.
Truly, he is the Dragon Ball character of the Mario universe.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I get familiar enough with a person online, I always imagine them as their avatar.

I mean, it makes sense, since alot of people choose their avatars because it connects to them to some extent, so...
I have a confession. I'm not actually creepy stop-motion Lebron James.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
All this talk about the RPG soundtrack today got me thinking.

Geno's in the game as a (legendary) spirit, and a token icon.

Yoko Shimomura is already on board, and has remixed numerous tracks for the game.

There isn't a single SMRPG track in the base game.

I always felt that if we found any, Geno would be dead. But I never thought about the contrapositive potentially being true as well. Why wouldn't they include any music from the game, when they already got the character rights, and the original composer? That would've been so incredibly easy. If they had no more plans for Geno aside from what we got in base, then it wouldn't make much sense at all to leave it out.

You can also look at Isaac...While it looks like there was never any plans to make him playable (unfortunately), he still got a couple of tracks.

Maybe I'm just restating what people already know, but I hadn't really thought about what a glaring omission it was.
This. One of the things that still gives me hope despite being 50/50 on the Spirit is no music and missing Mii costume. I think Sakurai would've at least done that

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie
Somethin' I thought about earlier that's kinda interesting to consider that I'm kinda surprised people have been overlooking...Nintendo's president Shuntaro Furukawa was 14 when Dragon Quest came out. I don't have to tell you anything you don't already know about Dragon Quest's success and influence at the time when he still would've been a kid and around for all that.
So, what if he personally picked Dragon Quest for his own nostalgic purposes?
I highly doubt Nintendo's president didn't get at least one of the 5 picks.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Of the Mario remixes already in the game, which one is everyone's favorite? They knocked it out of the park with them so it's hard to choose. I like to call this one "TFW you're at Target and the Edibles Kick In." God, Dixie Land jazz was such a great choice for this mix.

You have such great taste. I mean, first you're kicking *** with these facts that's going with Geno's evidence as DLC, and now you're posting your favorite new remixes from Mario and want us to share our favorite new Mario remixes in Ultimate with everyone. Now THIS is the community I like - asking us what our favorite colors are, asking when we first played SMRPG, and asking us what our new favorite soundtrack is in Smash Ultimate. As I said before, good taste with the soundtrack, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . These two aren't too bad of a spoiler because we heard them in two Smash Directs already, so that's all on Nintendo. Here are my favorites, but I can't decide between the two:

Here, I might as well list all my favorite new remixes so far. Counting the Mario remixes I said up above, here are some of my new favorite remixes in Ultimate.
New Donkey Kong Country Remixes:
Gangplank Galleon
Crocodile Cacophony

New Legend of Zelda Remixes:
Termina Field

New Castlevania Remixes:
Divine Bloodlines
Bloody Tears
Vampire Killer
Out of Time

Miscellaneous Remixes:
Electroplankton/Hanenbow
Galaga Medley

I absolutely love all of these, they're my favorites so far. :)

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Somethin' I thought about earlier that's kinda interesting to consider that I'm kinda surprised people have been overlooking...Nintendo's president Shuntaro Furukawa was 14 when Dragon Quest came out. I don't have to tell you anything you don't already know about Dragon Quest's success and influence at the time when he still would've been a kid and around for all that.
The president of a company has more important things to do than to personally involve himself in the development of a product.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

i hate to admit i am not a vampire holding her cute princess gf while also being the cute princess gf at the same time :(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The president of a company has more important things to do than to personally involve himself in the development of a product.
from our understanding sakurai chose the fighters nintendo presented on them based on how he could make them work as fighters, regardless of the president's pick
Yeah, plus Sakurai's not buddies with him like he was with Iwata.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wanna believe in Geno so much, he is the most deserved newcomer at this point as he's been wanted from Sakurai since Brawl days and fans have been wanting him since then too. Everyone wants this dude but he's still not playable which baffles me.

I feel like if he doesn't get in this time his chance is gone. I really hope that isn't true though, please let us have Geno, he deserves to be in!

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

I do that with people even if I'm not familiar with them. You are your profile picture, in my head. (for me it works since its a drawing of me so)

Thani

Smash Cadet
Did Geno's Spirit stats get posted anywhere in the thread? If so, what are they and does his spirit come with a bonus effect as well like some other ones do?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm going to leave this here, and I'll maybe expand on it later with proof: Hitagi was never red herring'd, and they actually did not take back their names (besides maybe Katalina). Something else happened to them as Verge implied. Hitagi will be pissed at me mentioning this, but it's their fault for being rude to me and somebody else informing me of it. However, one of the names they mentioned may have been leakbait, all I'm saying is that their statement about being misled is actually a cover up. Something else happened.
I'm glad this is finally out there. Yep, apparently Nintendo's black bagging his buddies left and right and he figuratively tried to fake his own death to try to bounce off the radar.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I mean maybe? I doubt it. Unless it's a first party, I don't think that applies, as Dragon Quest cost a lot of money, and would only (presumably) sell in one region. I mean, I've seen people like Fatmannonice post the numbers in the West for Dragon Quest sales. Surely Nintendo knows that too, and I don't see them going for it as it's not profitable. That's why I said Crono if the Spirit means something or Geno isn't in, as at least through Nintendo's eyes he would make more money worldwide, no matter how iconic Dragon Quest is. Neither really make sense though, unless Crono gets a new game or is like Simon/Cloud where it's semi-retro. I know it's different than those two, still makes more sense than DQ. Dragon Quest deserves to be in, but I just don't see it happening, especially over other options

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm glad this is finally out there. Yep, apparently Nintendo's black bagging his buddies left and right and he figuratively tried to fake his own death to try to bounce off the radar.
Those Nintendo Ninja's man, they are good at what they do.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean maybe? I doubt it. Unless it's a first party, I don't think that applies, as Dragon Quest cost a lot of money, and would only (presumably) sell in one region. I mean, I've seen people like Fatmannonice post the numbers in the West for Dragon Quest sales. Surely Nintendo knows that too, and I don't see them going for it as it's not profitable. That's why I said Crono if the Spirit means something or Geno isn't in, as at least through Nintendo's eyes he would make more money worldwide, no matter how iconic Dragon Quest is. Neither really make sense though, unless Crono gets a new game or is like Simon/Cloud where it's semi-retro. I know it's different than those two, still makes more sense than DQ. Dragon Quest deserves to be in, but I just don't see it happening, especially over other options
Also, it seems kinda out of character for our new Nintendo President. I mean, I of course don't personally know the guy, but I don't think he would do that with how he has conducted himself and what he has made clear about future plans.

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie
from our understanding sakurai chose the fighters nintendo presented on them based on how he could make them work as fighters, regardless of the president's pick
Meant "suggestions" rather for the wording, but you get my meaning.
Another thing to consider is that we've known for a while now Sakurai is buds with Yuji Horii (Dragon Quest's creator) and there's still that old Nintendo Dream round-table discussion from August 2016 that I've had a hard time overlooking possible relevance to Smash way before Ultimate was ever even revealed.
I guess my point is don't jump the hype gun yet and assume Geno will be it.
We still don't know what's goin' on for sure and it's hard to ignore certain aspects and possibilities that could've made Dragon Quest get the nod.
"Hype responsibly" as the saying goes.

I'm neutral about who in that list is actually it (if true) since anyone from that list of Square Enix characters could actually be really fun and bring something different to the table for different fans.
Geno gettin' in would be cathartic, absolutely. But Dragon Quest gettin' in would be too for not just fans of the series, but people who feel it's just oddly missing among Smash's "video game history" aspect it has goin' on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom