• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I have heard discussion about Geno and Skull Kid being revealed in the same trailer, due to their connection to possession and the forest. I think that would be a good way to tie them together.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I have heard discussion about Geno and Skull Kid being revealed in the same trailer, due to their connection to possession and the forest. I think that would be a good way to tie them together.
I would think Skull Kid would be deconfirmed with the Moon being an assist trophy. I couldn't imagine another final smash for him to have that did not involve the Moon crashing the stage.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would think Skull Kid would be deconfirmed with the Moon being an assist trophy. I couldn't imagine another final smash for him to have that did not involve the Moon crashing the stage.
It has kinfda resulted in the opposite, actually. Why was Skull Kid not there summoning the moon? And we have still not seen his past assist. And his final smash could easily be one of Majora's many forms from it's final boss.

domriver

Smash Lord
This i can see happening although it may not be the case. I think us trying to figure out who is tied to who is just nothing else but just speculation. Sakurai is going to do what he is going to do jeje. i.e Ridley was announced but no Dark Samus. Dark Samus was revealed along with Chrom.

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! Just wanted to make sure I was on the supporter list. I haven't been around these parts since pre-smash 4... though, I've been wanting Geno in for over a decade. I made a moveset for him a while back (Smash 4 ballot era) with a "Star Power" gimmick that might've been posted somewhere in this thread. Anyway, I'm throwing in my support and hyping Geno in the best way I know how... with doodles. So here's one!

I find that people often don't realize how many lines Geno has in SMRPG, he's actually teeming with personality.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I find that people often don't realize how many lines Geno has in SMRPG, he's actually teeming with personality.
He likely had the most lines out of any character in SMRPG. Sure, some of it was exposition, but still. He is basically the deuteragonist, and I think his abundance of lines is a result of Mario being silent.

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
Hey all. I've been stalking these forums for a while, but I've only now decided to make an account to show my support for Geno in Smash, and to share a bit of speculation on my part, some bad, but some good.
After yesterday's Smash Direct, I felt incredibly uneasy about Geno's chances in Ultimate after seeing the number of tracks for Final Fantasy: a measly two. It left a sinking feeling in my gut, because if even Konami could be generous enough to let 3 fighters (and 1 assist trophy) in so far, along with 34 music tracks from Castlevania, the apparent stinginess of Squeenix with just Final Fantasy made my heart sink a bit.

However, I also recently learned of a silver lining after reading around a bit more today: the mecha figure that Sakurai bought in 2016.

In an interview with Denfaminicogamer in December of 2016, Sakurai stated that he had recently bought a figure to use as reference for a new project he was working on, and this figure in question is actually of a very old school mech known as Vifam (not a Gundam, as some people incorrectly stated). However, what really set off the alarm in my head was when it stated he was only using the rifle as a reference. As soon as I found out about this, my inner mecha fanboy was fired up, and the gears started to turn, and it clicked.

This has to be for Geno, and here's my theory why. Vifam is a very old school mecha show, from 1983. It's rifle is a beam rifle, which is a standard thing in mecha, but Vifam's rifle is much simpler and rounder than one from a show like Gundam or Layzner from the same era. It's my theory that Sakurai is using Vifam's rifle as a reference for his team to base and model the laser for the Geno Beam attack, as the in game sprites themselves aren't very detailed, and there's no official art of the Beam in question; off the top of my head, there's only about 5 pieces of official art related to Geno that exist, and they're all of his weapons. Plus, the design of Vifam's rifle doesn't match up with the more machine gun looking arm cannon the Mii Gunner costume had.

While some people say that he might be referencing the rifle for a character like something from Custom Robo or Elma from Xenoblade X, neither of these make much sense to me. For one, both characters have official art to reference if they were being modeled, and two, both of them use different styles of weapons compared to something like the rounder, old school beam rifle from Vifam: Custom Robo uses blockier, boxier weapons, and Elma uses more angular, sharper dual pistols.

In addition, while the original Denfaminicogamer article didn't mention the project at all. I think there's pretty strong evidence it was related to Smash given the timing of the article. In a June 2018 interview article with Famitsu, Sakurai stated he put forth the first proposal for the game in December of 2015, and since the Denfaminicogamer interview was in December of 2016, I think it's within the realm of possibility that development of Smash Ultimate was already in full swing, and was probably still polishing out the roster.

Again, while yesterday's direct left me feeling a bit uneasy about Geno's chances due to the low FF Music, I feel a bit more confident in his inclusion as a playable character after I formulated my theory reading all of the above articles, and I'd figure it would be a good idea to share it with you all.

I'm gonna keep believing in him, with all my heart. Geno for Smash!

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Would it not be funny if Geno was some how connected to Rosalina and the Lumas? I can see nintendo make that connection and it would work. Geno is a high ranking warrior from Star Road. jejej I dont know just a thought.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Would it not be funny if Geno was some how connected to Rosalina and the Lumas? I can see nintendo make that connection and it would work. Geno is a high ranking warrior from Star Road. jejej I dont know just a thought.
I can't remember who said it, but someone on SOME board said what if he was the Luma that Rosalina carried around. I thought it was pretty interesting. I can definitely see a potential reveal trailer have something to do with Rosalina and Luma. It makes perfect sense. I think it would be an easy tie in. I think there is a lot of potential with that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can't remember who said it, but someone on SOME board said what if he was the Luma that Rosalina carried around. I thought it was pretty interesting. I can definitely see a potential reveal trailer have something to do with Rosalina and Luma. It makes perfect sense. I think it would be an easy tie in. I think there is a lot of potential with that.
What if he is basically what Pit is to Palutena? I don't see him as a luma, I still think he is some sort of space spirit/Marioverse angel.
Hey all. I've been stalking these forums for a while, but I've only now decided to make an account to show my support for Geno in Smash, and to share a bit of speculation on my part, some bad, but some good.
After yesterday's Smash Direct, I felt incredibly uneasy about Geno's chances in Ultimate after seeing the number of tracks for Final Fantasy: a measly two. It left a sinking feeling in my gut, because if even Konami could be generous enough to let 3 fighters (and 1 assist trophy) in so far, along with 34 music tracks from Castlevania, the apparent stinginess of Squeenix with just Final Fantasy made my heart sink a bit.

However, I also recently learned of a silver lining after reading around a bit more today: the mecha figure that Sakurai bought in 2016.

In an interview with Denfaminicogamer in December of 2016, Sakurai stated that he had recently bought a figure to use as reference for a new project he was working on, and this figure in question is actually of a very old school mech known as Vifam (not a Gundam, as some people incorrectly stated). However, what really set off the alarm in my head was when it stated he was only using the rifle as a reference. As soon as I found out about this, my inner mecha fanboy was fired up, and the gears started to turn, and it clicked.

This has to be for Geno, and here's my theory why. Vifam is a very old school mecha show, from 1983. It's rifle is a beam rifle, which is a standard thing in mecha, but Vifam's rifle is much simpler and rounder than one from a show like Gundam or Layzner from the same era. It's my theory that Sakurai is using Vifam's rifle as a reference for his team to base and model the laser for the Geno Beam attack, as the in game sprites themselves aren't very detailed, and there's no official art of the Beam in question; off the top of my head, there's only about 5 pieces of official art related to Geno exist, and they're all of his weapons. Plus, the design of Vifam's rifle doesn't match up with the more machine gun looking arm cannon the Mii Gunner costume had.

While some people say that he might be referencing the rifle for a character like something from Custom Robo or Elma from Xenoblade X, neither of these make much sense to me. For one, both characters have official art to reference if they were being modeled, and two, both of them use different styles of weapons to something like the rounder, old school beam rifle from Vifam: Custom Robo uses blockier, boxier weapons, and Elma uses more angular, sharper dual pistols.

In addition, while the original Denfaminicogamer article didn't mention the project at all. I think there's pretty strong evidence it was related to Smash given the timing of the article. In a June 2018 interview article with Famitsu, Sakurai stated he put forth the first proposal for the game in December of 2015, and since the Denfaminicogamer interview was in December of 2016, I think it's within the realm of possibility that development of Smash Ultimate was already in full swing, and was probably still polishing out the roster.

Again, while yesterday's direct left me feeling a bit uneasy about Geno's chances due to the low FF Music, I feel a bit more confident in his inclusion as a playable character after I formulated my theory reading all of the above articles, and I'd figure it would be a good idea to share it with you all.

We should really get this theory out there. For so long people have been assuming it to be for Elma, but this just makes way to much sense. And it was well said, so good job!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

This has to be for Geno, and here's my theory why. Vifam is a very old school mecha show, from 1983. It's rifle is a beam rifle, which is a standard thing in mecha, but Vifam's rifle is much simpler and rounder than one from a show like Gundam or Layzner from the same era. It's my theory that Sakurai is using Vifam's rifle as a reference for his team to base and model the laser for the Geno Beam attack, as the in game sprites themselves aren't very detailed, and there's no official art of the Beam in question; off the top of my head, there's only about 5 pieces of official art related to Geno exist, and they're all of his weapons. Plus, the design of Vifam's rifle doesn't match up with the more machine gun looking arm cannon the Mii Gunner costume had.

While some people say that he might be referencing the rifle for a character like something from Custom Robo or Elma from Xenoblade X, neither of these make much sense to me. For one, both characters have official art to reference if they were being modeled, and two, both of them use different styles of weapons to something like the rounder, old school beam rifle from Vifam: Custom Robo uses blockier, boxier weapons, and Elma uses more angular, sharper dual pistols.

The barrel of the gun was always what made me believe it helped our argument over someone like Elma.

I don't really think I have peace of mind until I realize what reasoning for the toy is. I want to see it in action so I am going to check out Vifam and maybe report back on how it fires to see if he truly wants to use the gun for Geno.

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
The barrel of the gun was always what made me believe it helped our argument over someone like Elma.

I don't really think I have peace of mind until I realize what reasoning for the toy is. I want to see it in action so I am going to check out Vifam and maybe report back on how it fires to see if he truly wants to use the gun for Geno.
You can see Vifam fire it's beam rifle at around 1:05 in the opening here. It's got a bit of kick to it, which reminds me of the recoil on the Geno Beam (you can see him get pushed back a bit in the animation).

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
So here’s an odd, probably controversial question; if he appears, and has a playstyle that you just absolutely can’t stand, will many of you still force yourself to continue to main him, or will you just be content with finally having him in and use him as a non-serious fun character only? I ask this because Shulk happened to be someone i was extremely excited for in 4, but when I got to finally use him I realized just how his playstyle didn’t connect for me. I was still absolutely thrilled about him getting in, but he ended up being just a “for fun” character for me and not someone I really wanted to push myself to get really skilled with. So I’m wondering how many people might have the same reaction with geno’s moveset.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I used to lurk on SmashBoards pre-Smash 4, and I was never very social. Coming back for Ultimate + trying to be more into the competitive scene, but right now I'm just really hoping we get Geno.

And honestly, I think things are looking good for him...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So here’s an odd, probably controversial question; if he appears, and has a playstyle that you just absolutely can’t stand, will many of you still force yourself to continue to main him, or will you just be content with finally having him in and use him as a non-serious fun character only? I ask this because Shulk happened to be someone i was extremely excited for in 4, but when I got to finally use him I realized just how his playstyle didn’t connect for me. I was still absolutely thrilled about him getting in, but he ended up being just a “for fun” character for me and not someone I really wanted to push myself to get really skilled with. So I’m wondering how many people might have the same reaction with geno’s moveset.
I would not be mad, and it is certainly possible. I would be glad he was there, and like you, I would play him for fun rather than competitively.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
That theory about the mech toy's rifle makes a lot of sense to me. It even looks similar to Geno Beam.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I would not be mad, and it is certainly possible. I would be glad he was there, and like you, I would play him for fun rather than competitively.
I’m the same way. I’m not a competitive player, so I can always just play for fun. Honestly, him being in is more important than him being a good character to play as. It’s the message of him being included is more important than my wants.

That theory about the mech toy's rifle makes a lot of sense to me. It even looks similar to Geno Beam.
I actually never looked into the mech toy rifle. I didn't know much about it, and I felt there were other characters it could fit. But JoeStronger JoeStronger good find and analysis on it! I can't say it's surefire evidence, but it definitely can't hurt.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm curious. I watched a bit of Elma's gameplay. The guns she used fire bullets. Can anyone confirm whether or not she uses guns that shoot beams like the character in that anime? It would make sense that Sakurai could find artwork based on Elma, or even use her model from the game since it's already a 3D model. But this actually has my gears turning.

Also, I never played Custom Robo, but I remember Ray's AT shooting missiles and such. Did he have any beam rifles either? I'm trying to think what other characters this could be for, and I can't imagine he'd be using it for a different game.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Also, I never played Custom Robo, but I remember Ray's AT shooting missiles and such. Did he have any beam rifles either? I'm trying to think what other characters this could be for, and I can't imagine he'd be using it for a different game.
He never had a beam. His AT more so had a burst fire of green arrow like lasers. Nothing like a beam though. His cannon is also nothing like the figure's rifle in question. The best way I can describe it is if you took the Black Box rocket launcher in Team Fortress 2 and put it as your arm canon.

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
I’m the same way. I’m not a competitive player, so I can always just play for fun. Honestly, him being in is more important than him being a good character to play as. It’s the message of him being included is more important than my wants.

I actually never looked into the mech toy rifle. I didn't know much about it, and I felt there were other characters it could fit. But JoeStronger JoeStronger good find and analysis on it! I can't say it's surefire evidence, but it definitely can't hurt.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm curious. I watched a bit of Elma's gameplay. The guns she used fire bullets. Can anyone confirm whether or not she uses guns that shoot beams like the character in that anime? It would make sense that Sakurai could find artwork based on Elma, or even use her model from the game since it's already a 3D model. But this actually has my gears turning.

ngl, my area of expertise on Xenoblade X and Custom Robo is a bit low, but for Elma, there's a lot of ranged arts shared between characters, and her two signature arts don't seem to evoke the beam rifle from Vifam.

Plus, adding on to the post from SSGuy above me, most of the rifles that Ray has had throughout Custom Robo are a bit too different from Vifam; later versions of Ray have super angular, jagged rifles.

EDIT: Images aren't working for me for some reason.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net..._(SSBM).jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090913175914
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...ision/latest?cb=20090709182344&path-prefix=en

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I speculated that one of the items revealed yesterday might have been used as reference for Vifam but then it turns out I have no knowledge at all about Kid Icarus

TBone06

Smash Ace
ngl, my area of expertise on Xenoblade X and Custom Robo is a bit low, but for Elma, there's a lot of ranged arts shared between characters, and her two signature arts don't seem to evoke the beam rifle from Vifam.

Plus, adding on to the post from SSGuy above me, most of the rifles that Ray has had throughout Custom Robo are a bit too different from Vifam; later versions of Ray have super angular, jagged rifles.

I guess the thing to think about too is all of these other characters have 3D models already, Geno never had that. So I can definitely see him wanting a reference. I know they just released the rage blaster as an item, but it doesn't really look like that mech. It's a really interesting theory that actually sold me on it. I mean I have my doubts, but I can certainly buy that it may not be for an Elma or a Custom Robo. I can't see him using it for a different game. I mean I'd think he must have been pretty busy with Smash over the past 2 years to have another project. The biggest thing to me though is why would he want this mech to use as a reference? The only thing I can think of is if it's because there isn't an existing model of a character that he wanted to use it for. Again, nice work on the analysis. It definitely makes you think.

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
I guess the thing to think about too is all of these other characters have 3D models already, Geno never had that. So I can definitely see him wanting a reference. I know they just released the rage blaster as an item, but it doesn't really look like that mech. It's a really interesting theory that actually sold me on it. I mean I have my doubts, but I can certainly buy that it may not be for an Elma or a Custom Robo. I can't see him using it for a different game. I mean I'd think he must have been pretty busy with Smash over the past 2 years to have another project. The biggest thing to me though is why would he want this mech to use as a reference? The only thing I can think of is if it's because there isn't an existing model of a character that he wanted to use it for. Again, nice work on the analysis. It definitely makes you think.
Sakurai is kind of a big nerd. He's got quite the collection of figures, and while most of them are actually of space ships from shooting games, he does seem to appreciate the occasional mecha. Vifam came out in 1983, and by that time he would've been 13, so I don't think it's much of a stretch to say he's a fan of things like that (plus the 80s were loaded with mecha shows, after the success of Gundam in 1979), so maybe getting the Vifam figure just lined up.

But again, this is all just speculation.

EDIT: The above figures are part of Sakurai's collection. Most of the ships are from the super cool Shooting Game Historica line.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sakurai is kind of a big nerd. He's got quite the collection of figures, and while most of them are actually of space ships from shooting games, he does seem to appreciate the occasional mecha. Vifam came out in 1983, and by that time he would've been 13, so I don't think it's much of a stretch to say he's a fan of things like that (plus the 80s were loaded with mecha shows, after the success of Gundam in 1979), so maybe getting the Vifam figure just lined up.

EDIT: The above figures are part of Sakurai's collection. Most of the ships are from the super cool Shooting Game Historica line.
I never knew this about Sakurai. That's pretty cool, and heck, might explain why he is attracted to Geno's gun arm specifically. He might be recalling those mecha shows he knew as a teen and would love to get some of that love into Smash Bros. Admitably, if you were to list off Geno's arsenal without saying anything about his size or being made of wood, it would sound like the equipment of a mecha.

Last edited:

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
Hey all, friendly K. Rool supporter here making the rounds to support my other wishlist characters now that the Croc is in. Wanted to stop in and say that SMRPG has always been one of my top three favorite games, so I would love to see Geno get added to Smash (and hear all the music that came along with him)!

I also wanted to note that we haven't seen anything about how regular trophies will work in this game, so the thought crossed my mind that it might make sense to reveal the trophy system alongside Geno, since he's just like Smash trophies in that he's an inanimate figurine who comes to life and fights.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490

What's the one at the bottom left? Looks like a Pooka from Dig Dug.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Howdy folks, K. Rool fan here.

I got my character yesterday and honestly I'm perfectly content from here on out until release, but I still wanted to lend my support to you guys. Super Mario RPG was one of my favorite Super Nintendo games when I was a kid, and I always thought Geno was dope af, I've been wanting him in since the Brawl days as well as K. Rool. With my #1 confirmed, it's high time for Geno to make it into the Ultimate Smash game! Best of luck to you, hope to see you guys on the other side :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, since we now know more about how the roster is being selected(Fan service wins over relevancy), we should revisit previous Geno rivals. And from the look's of it, Geno profited much more when it came to this direct.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Okay, since we now know more about how the roster is being selected(Fan service wins over relevancy), we should revisit previous Geno rivals. And from the look's of it, Geno profited much more when it came to this direct.
Geno is definitely in after yesterday's Direct. They only showed FF having two songs because they aren't ready to show off all the new Square Enix stuff they're putting in the game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Geno is definitely in after yesterday's Direct. They only showed FF having two songs because they aren't ready to show off all the new Square Enix stuff they're putting in the game.
That is a possibility. If that is not the case, I don't see another FF character except possibly a Cloud echo.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Thank you... finally someone put a positive spin on the FF music situation. That is a totally logical reason why they only have two. It very well could be they want to spend a direct to talk about Square.

That is a possibility. If that is not the case, I don't see another FF character except possibly a Cloud echo.
I agree that we won’t get another FF character, but we could get an assist trophy or item. They absolutely might want to put save that and announce it all together.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I am not sure how this direct changes Sora's chances. He would have fan service appeal, but his hype does not go that far beyond the ballot, and while that is a factor, a lot of newcomers are long requested. Him having a new game around the corner is not as big of a factor anymore. The direct did not change anything on what it would take to get him. I don't know how to judge this.

Last edited:

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
My heart's been toyed with before, but I could see a trailer or mini direct celebrating Square's presence in Smash in the near future. bear with me... this is "never going to happen" tier fanfiction, but I went ahead and wrote it anyway.

We open with One Winged Angel... Cloud is fighting Sephiroth on a stage that is an amalgamation of various Final Fantasy final boss locations. Mario is helping out. Sephiroth is gaining the upper hand. He knocks Mario and Cloud back, and readies a huge magic attack. It flies toward Cloud and Mario. A flash whites out the screen, smoke dissipates to reveal a buster sword having blocked the attack... but it isn't Cloud's.

Zack Joins the Battle!

The three of them charge at Sephiroth on wide, slow motion, fade out... Then we go to Sakurai, who explains the new stage and how it celebrates various FF locations. "Bosses from the series may appear here." Kefka, Sephiroth, etc show up as stage bosses. Sakurai then explains Zack a little and how he echoes Cloud with some differences here and there. We go through some more FF business; for the first time, there are a few items from the Final Fantasy series. Lightning or Warrior of Light or Noctis shows up as an assist. It's clear there's more content from Square than ever before, including music! Then as the presentation closes out, we go back to the battle between Zack, Cloud, Mario, and Sephiroth.

Both sides are tired, Zack and Cloud lean on their swords panting. Sephiroth stands up and readies Supernova... then we cut to Mario as he notices a twinkle behind Sephiroth. With a flash of light, Geno Whirl flies in to interrupt Sephiroth.

Geno Stars In Smash!

He leaps onto the battlefield as we cut to his gameplay features and final smash. He's got all the fun of his moves in SMRPG and looks really fun to play! Go back to the battle for one last sting as Sephiroth is being pushed back by the four heroes. A giant metal hand creeps out from the shadows behind Sephiroth. The looming figure of Smithy glares into camera, we cut back to Cloud, Zack, Mario, and Geno as they ready themselves... End!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

This has to be for Geno, and here's my theory why. Vifam is a very old school mecha show, from 1983. It's rifle is a beam rifle, which is a standard thing in mecha, but Vifam's rifle is much simpler and rounder than one from a show like Gundam or Layzner from the same era. It's my theory that Sakurai is using Vifam's rifle as a reference for his team to base and model the laser for the Geno Beam attack, as the in game sprites themselves aren't very detailed, and there's no official art of the Beam in question; off the top of my head, there's only about 5 pieces of official art related to Geno that exist, and they're all of his weapons. Plus, the design of Vifam's rifle doesn't match up with the more machine gun looking arm cannon the Mii Gunner costume had.

While some people say that he might be referencing the rifle for a character like something from Custom Robo or Elma from Xenoblade X, neither of these make much sense to me. For one, both characters have official art to reference if they were being modeled, and two, both of them use different styles of weapons compared to something like the rounder, old school beam rifle from Vifam: Custom Robo uses blockier, boxier weapons, and Elma uses more angular, sharper dual pistols.

Dude, that is the most convincing argument for the mecha figure being used for Geno that I have ever seen. Just, well done. Seriously. That rifle literally looks exactly like what a 3D modeled Geno Beam cannon would look like. It and Vifam are more cartoonish than realistic in style, which is clearly the direction one would go with Geno's style of weapons. I can see Sakurai thinking of that show he had seen as a kid when considering how to approach Geno's design. It all seems to fit.

One argument I heard in opposition was that the Vifam figure was meant to help get a clearer picture of a character moving and fighting while holding a rifle all the time, and that this could mean it was for Inkling. I'm not sure how valid an idea this is, though, as they could simply reference the Inkling's movement from Splatoon. What do you all think?

I actually went through the very same thing with Shulk. He was my most wanted, then I found out I sucked with him. But his moveset was just so cool, I decided to stick with him. After quite a while, I finally got good with him, lol.

I'd probably do the same for Geno. Granted, I imagine he will be pretty quick, and mostly projectile based, so I think I'd be fine with him anyway. I turned out to really like Mega Man and got pretty decent with him, so Geno should be at least that fun and then some.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm glad to see that other threads are receiving a lot of attention when the two biggest went down yesterday (My condolences to fellow Ashley fans, and congrats to fellow Kutthroats). It's also nice to know just how many people happen to also be big fans of other characters, or want other fan bases they see as deserving getting that sort of attention. Particularly with King K. Rool fans, it would seem with their confirmation a lot have come out to both Geno and Isaac to speak on their behalf as fellow long requested characters that deserve to be in.

My hype for Smash Ultimate officially went through the roof yesterday with my most wanted first party (King K. Rool), most wanted third party (Simon Belmont, I've mentioned I don't entirely view Geno as a traditional third party), and my most wanted Echo (Dark Samus) getting in. With more to come, the number of additional content revealed, and the clear indication of something that might resemble a campaign, I'm beyond ecstatic. To the point where I don't even care about going full hype for the characters left I support because I'm already so happy with the game.

So, yeah, Geno is now officially my most wanted character in Smash due to Rool's confirmation moving him up a slot, and I'm beyond convinced he has to be in the game. I was already looking at his chances as very likely given everything else. But yesterday, everything was for the fans. Simon Belmont was for the fans. Chrom and Dark Samus were confirmed to be highly requested characters as well. And the King speaks for himself.

My theory that Ultimate is a game for the fans and based upon their desires and playing the Ultimate fan service to them is edging closer to reality. Geno represents one of the last barriers to that realization overall I believe, and is certainly just another thing that would make the game Ultimate to me.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
One argument I heard in opposition was that the Vifam figure was meant to help get a clearer picture of a character moving and fighting while holding a rifle all the time, and that this could mean it was for Inkling. I'm not sure how valid an idea this is, though, as they could simply reference the Inkling's movement from Splatoon. What do you all think?
Yeah, I don't see why he would need the figure for the movement. Plus, the way Sakurai worded his reason for getting the mecha does not seem to fit that idea from what I recall.

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
You know, I am not sure how this direct changes Sora's chances. He would have fan service appeal, but his hype does not go that far beyond the ballot, and while that is a factor, a lot of newcomers are long requested. Him having a new game around the corner is not as big of a factor anymore. The direct did not change anything on what it would take to get him. I don't know how to judge this.
Here's the thing that people forget about Sora: he's technically not a Square Enix character, but a Disney one. So Nintendo would have to ask them, which I think is kind of innapropriate since Nintendo is still partnered with Universal for the theme park thing, last I checked. Plus Disney rights are probably even more expensive than whatever Square Enix is charging for Cloud...

I don't think that's a really great argument, because Vifam isn't usually on the ground, but flying through space. Plus there's plenty of pre existing animations from Splatoon for all the different weapons, and there's not alot of realism with how Inklings move with their rifles, since they have no bones and are kinda noodly; they move alot smoother than a robot.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
My heart's been toyed with before, but I could see a trailer or mini direct celebrating Square's presence in Smash in the near future. bear with me... this is "never going to happen" tier fanfiction, but I went ahead and wrote it anyway.

We open with One Winged Angel... Cloud is fighting Sephiroth on a stage that is an amalgamation of various Final Fantasy final boss locations. Mario is helping out. Sephiroth is gaining the upper hand. He knocks Mario and Cloud back, and readies a huge magic attack. It flies toward Cloud and Mario. A flash whites out the screen, smoke dissipates to reveal a buster sword having blocked the attack... but it isn't Cloud's.

Zack Joins the Battle!

The three of them charge at Sephiroth on wide, slow motion, fade out... Then we go to Sakurai, who explains the new stage and how it celebrates various FF locations. "Bosses from the series may appear here." Kefka, Sephiroth, etc show up as stage bosses. Sakurai then explains Zack a little and how he echoes Cloud with some differences here and there. We go through some more FF business; for the first time, there are a few items from the Final Fantasy series. Lightning or Warrior of Light or Noctis shows up as an assist. It's clear there's more content from Square than ever before, including music! Then as the presentation closes out, we go back to the battle between Zack, Cloud, Mario, and Sephiroth.

Both sides are tired, Zack and Cloud lean on their swords panting. Sephiroth stands up and readies Supernova... then we cut to Mario as he notices a twinkle behind Sephiroth. With a flash of light, Geno Whirl flies in to interrupt Sephiroth.

Geno Stars In Smash!

He leaps onto the battlefield as we cut to his gameplay features and final smash. He's got all the fun of his moves in SMRPG and looks really fun to play! Go back to the battle for one last sting as Sephiroth is being pushed back by the four heroes. A giant metal hand creeps out from the shadows behind Sephiroth. The looming figure of Smithy glares into camera, we cut back to Cloud, Zack, Mario, and Geno as they ready themselves... End!
This is what I've been thinking of ever since the Direct.

- Third-party echoes are possible.
- There can be more than two third-party characters per company, and more than one per franchise.

I believe we haven't seen any new Final Fantasy music because it would be too big of a hint towards something. Dracula's Castle has a whopping 34 songs on it's stage, and a unique newcomer and an echo to rep. It makes sense that Midgar hasn't updated it's songs since it was what Cloud debuted with. If, however, another Final Fantasy character joined the brawl, new songs would most certainly be brought with them. I am going to go with the crowd and say Zack would be the most likely and easiest Echo fighter to have for Cloud.

Geno is almost definitely going to show up, but this theory could be filling in the holes Geno could possibly fall into.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's the thing that people forget about Sora: he's technically not a Square Enix character, but a Disney one. So Nintendo would have to ask them, which I think is kind of innapropriate since Nintendo is still partnered with Universal for the theme park thing, last I checked. Plus Disney rights are probably even more expensive than whatever Square Enix is charging for Cloud...
I think in all of the discussion we have had about the hoops you would have to go through to get Sora, I don't recall us ever discussing the Universal partnership. Kinda seems obvious in hindsight, but it would be more than awkward to try and ask for Sora after Nintendo made deals with Universal. Not that Universal controls Nintendo, but it certainly does not help Sora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom