• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I believe Geno and Banjoe & kazooie are the last big two characters left. I'm feeling pretty confident about Geno and I think he would be a very cool character

Takasmash

Smash Ace
When I think Geno will be reveal at October I thought Simon will be announce at October but that was not the case. Thank god Im glade the Simon leaks is put to rest thank I need my Rayman or Geno then Im done.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
You know now that I think about it I think it's better that they revealed K. Rool Before Geno. it's like they are slowly breaking down the perceived boundries. like Ridley was relevant but Sakurai said no. King K. Rool wasn't relevant anymore but he's had multiple appearances back in his day. and then finally there will be Geno. I think if you switched the order people might expect other ones more.

it just feels optimized for maximum surprise. now question is will Geno be the final and biggest surprise or will they follow him with something like Banjo & Kazooie? a character straight from a competitor's system.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Well, for one, it proves indies can be in a role that affects game play, so that already helps out other indies. And while SK may be the poster boy, Shantae has decade plus history with Nintendo, is much more popular oversees than SK, they both did well in polls and were often close to each other, probably helped by the fact that both of their companies did massive calls to action when the smash ballot came. Heck, Yacht Club games is made up of former Wayforward developers, the people who make the Shantae games.
Okay, how long till people realize that this is irrelevant when it comes to 3rd parties? 3rd parties are picked based on legacy in the gaming industry, and Shantae has made no major impact in the gaming world unlike our other 3rd parties, barring Bayonetta. And as for Bayonetta, Nintendo benefits from having her in the game because they fund her games. And it's clear they go for the poster boy over the one with most connection to Nintendo. There's a reason why Cloud got in over FF protagonists who have history with Nintendo.

I keep hearing about her so called popularity in Japan. Is it recent? If so, it would have had no bearing on the ballot.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know now that I think about it I think it's better that they revealed K. Rool Before Geno. it's like they are slowly breaking down the perceived boundries. like Ridley was relevant but Sakurai said no. King K. Rool wasn't relevant anymore but he's had multiple appearances back in his day. and then finally there will be Geno. I think if you switched the order people might expect other ones more.

it just feels optimized for maximum surprise. now question is will Geno be the final and biggest surprise or will they follow him with something like Banjo & Kazooie? a character straight from a competitor's system.
Will Geno be the opening reveal or the closing reveal?

If Geno is the opening reveal he's going to be talked about in the direct. But I think he'd make more sense as a closing reveal.

The opening reveal is the hook. The character that's recognizable to the normies. The brand appeal character.

But either way, I'm guess at least one more Smash direct and it's gonna have Geno

TBone06

Smash Ace
Well, it wasn't as good as "SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!", but here:

Thanks man!

When I think Geno will be reveal at October I thought Simon will be announce at October but that was not the case. Thank god Im glade the Simon leaks is put to rest thank I need my Rayman or Geno then Im done.
You know, that's a great point I didn't think of. We can finally rest easy of all these leaks involving Simon, which is kind of nice. I guess now it'll open the door to all sorts of other new leaks. But I'm happy we can put the Simon ones to bed.

Will Geno be the opening reveal or the closing reveal?

If Geno is the opening reveal he's going to be talked about in the direct. But I think he'd make more sense as a closing reveal.

The opening reveal is the hook. The character that's recognizable to the normies. The brand appeal character.

But either way, I'm guess at least one more Smash direct and it's gonna have Geno
I think he's definitely a closer. He's the guy who is going to make you leave wanting more. I thought Simon was a great reveal, really cool trailer. I only tried Castlevania a few times, so I can't say I'm a fan, but I do like his inclusion. That being said, I was content seeing him, but I never really had any other thoughts about it. K. Rool and Ridley both left me wanting more, and I feel that's the same way Geno would be. Plus, he set a precedent, he needs his last reveal of his next direct/directs to be huge. I honestly only see Geno and maybe Isaac as someone who can do that (Banjo Kazooie too, but they are a special case). I see a Bandana Dee or new Pokemon rep a good opener.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Thanks man!

You know, that's a great point I didn't think of. We can finally rest easy of all these leaks involving Simon, which is kind of nice. I guess now it'll open the door to all sorts of other new leaks. But I'm happy we can put the Simon ones to bed.
Only potential characters that have been leaked are Isabelle, potentially Waddle Dee, and I heard a rumor about Skull Kid but I have a hard time believing it - Though I wouldn't be unhappy if it's true.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Only potential characters that have been leaked are Isabelle, potentially Waddle Dee, and I heard a rumor about Skull Kid but I have a hard time believing it - Though I wouldn't be unhappy if it's true.
Isabelle as an echo, Bandana Dee and Skull Kid would all make me happy. Isabelle came after my days of playing Animal Crossing, but that's my girlfriend's name, so it'd be kind of funny. Bandana Dee I have no attachment to, but I can agree I see merits with him. Skull Kid I think would be an amazing addition as we'd finally get a Zelda newcomer who isn't one of the main three. I'm cool with all of those, but I don't think any of them bring the hype that Geno does. As well, I don't know if I believe it either, but I always tend to err on the side of caution.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, how long till people realize that this is irrelevant when it comes to 3rd parties? 3rd parties are picked based on legacy in the gaming industry, and Shantae has made no major impact in the gaming world unlike our other 3rd parties, barring Bayonetta. And as for Bayonetta, Nintendo benefits from having her in the game because they fund her games. And it's clear they go for the poster boy over the one with most connection to Nintendo. There's a reason why Cloud got in over FF protagonists who have history with Nintendo.

I keep hearing about her so called popularity in Japan. Is it recent? If so, it would have had no bearing on the ballot.
I guess that's true, but Shantae is the oldest character considered an indie, even older then the often called first indie, Quote. As for her Japanese popularity, it was there during the ballot days, and I will say, Wayforward actually went thorough the effort of making potential Shantae alts if she were in Smash to drive up hype for Shantae voting. Also, neat fact I found out not to long ago, Ken Sugimori, the art director and character designer of Pokemon is a fan of the series. Does not really help her, but it's nice to know she has a big name fan.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Shantae is the oldest character considered an indie
Her first game was published by Capcom though. How exactly is that indie?

As for her Japanese popularity, it was there during the ballot days, and I will say, Wayforward actually went thorough the effort of making potential Shantae alts if she were in Smash to drive up hype for Shantae voting.
You believe that Shantae did well in the ballot, due to the fan polls, correct? Well every poll I've seen had Shovel Knight destroy her everytime. And guess who's an assist trophy?

Plus on any Japanese poll, I've never seen Shantae show up either.

Also, neat fact I found out not to long ago, Ken Sugimori, the art director and character designer of Pokemon is a fan of the series. Does not really help her, but it's nice to know she has a big name fan.
Sakurai and Itoi like Undertale. Sans confirmed, am I right?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Idk, but that is the mass consensus among the internet, and Nintendo themselves consider her a Nindie as well.
You believe that Shantae did well in the ballot, due to the fan polls, correct? Well every poll I've seen had Shovel Knight destroy her everytime. And guess who's an assist trophy?

I did not highlight fan polls here, just Wayforward's campaign. And I saw my fair share of polls Shantae got over SK.
I said it does not really help her out at the end, I just like showing off some neat facts.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Count me in as a supporter for Geno. I always wanted him but he was overshadowed by my need for Ridley and K. Rool. Considering the Mii Costumes and the fan service so far, I think it’s finally his time.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Anyhoo, I have a neat idea. How would you rank the 8 newcomers we have gotten so far, 1 being best and 8th being worst?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyhoo, I have a neat idea. How would you rank the 8 newcomers we have gotten so far, 1 being best and 8th being worst?
Ridley - K Rool
Richter
Simon (He's close but I like Richter more so I can't put them as even)
Inkling
Chrom - Dark Samus
Daisy

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

No, it should be Papyrus with Sans in his Final Smash

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Keep in mind, I like all these characters, there are some I just like more.
  1. Richter: I don't know, there is something I just like about this guy.
  2. Ridley: He is so tonally diffrent from everyone else, I love it. And it feels like he has the manga Ridley's personality, which is super neat.
  3. Chrom: He deserves it, he really does.
  4. Simon: I like him, just not as much as I like Richter.
  5. K.Rool: Happy for his fans and a new DK rep and villain
  6. Daisy: Happy for fans
  7. Inkling: Cool, but expected.
  8. Dark Samus: Ehh, Dark version with little personality.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Interestingly, while I like Richter better than Simon - I probably wouldn't have like it if Richter was the one and only Castlevania rep

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Interestingly, while I like Richter better than Simon - I probably wouldn't have like it if Richter was the one and only Castlevania rep
I like that they are representing both the NES(Simon) and SNES(Richter) era's of Castlevania. But really, you could not have had Castlevania come in without Simon leading the charge.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
K. Rool gives me a lot of hope for Geno but i still think he's far from being a safe bet.
Here's hoping though.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Square Enix has a perfect track record for either breaking my heart or infuriating me. But I am doing my best to keep hope alive.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Square Enix has a perfect track record for either breaking my heart or infuriating me. But I am doing my best to keep hope alive.
I am not even a big fan of FF or even own a PS4, and even I was slightly miffed by the whole FF7 Remake debacle.

WampaWreckage

Smash Rookie
Keep in mind, I like all these characters, there are some I just like more.
  1. Richter: I don't know, there is something I just like about this guy.
  2. Ridley: He is so tonally diffrent from everyone else, I love it. And it feels like he has the manga Ridley's personality, which is super neat.
  3. Chrom: He deserves it, he really does.
  4. Simon: I like him, just not as much as I like Richter.
  5. K.Rool: Happy for his fans and a new DK rep and villain
  6. Daisy: Happy for fans
  7. Inkling: Cool, but expected.
  8. Dark Samus: Ehh, Dark version with little personality.
I definitely agree with you about Richter! His design is fantastic and I love him for someone so unexpected. My brother is a big Castlevania fan, so I always heard his name, but never really looked him up. I think the Castlevania content in this game is amazing and I can't wait to try it out!

Also, kinda a lurker here, but decided to finally make an account and start posting! So this message is going to be really Noobish.

I just wanted to say that I'm a full supporter for Geno and, like most other people, I think he'll finally make his appearance in this game. I love his design and I think they could make an amazing arrangement of The Forest Maze.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I definitely agree with you about Richter! His design is fantastic and I love him for someone so unexpected. My brother is a big Castlevania fan, so I always heard his name, but never really looked him up. I think the Castlevania content in this game is amazing and I can't wait to try it out!
I just realized something amazing, Richter's Palutena's Guidance is gonna have so many Symphony of the Night quotes. If they quote Peppy and Reyn, they can do that. And Chrom's PG is gonna be amazing. Also, I hope they somehow acknowledge that they have the whole Captain N team in Smash now, that being Pit, Simon, and Mega Man.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Wow... 14 users and 18 guests. We've really skyrocketed here, haven't we?

I asked this question on my Discord, but if Geno is revealed, what would his splash music be? The obvious answer would be to go for something directly related to Geno, like Beware of the Forest's Mushrooms or Goodbye, Geno, but to be honest I don't think they'd be able to encapsulate the hype that would come from his reveal.

My choice is a remix of Fight Against an Armed Boss.

EDIT: I found a remix that would work perfectly.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I asked this question on my Discord, but if Geno is revealed, what would his splash music be? The obvious answer would be to go for something directly related to Geno, like Beware of the Forest's Mushrooms or Goodbye, Geno, but to be honest I don't think they'd be able to encapsulate the hype that would come from his reveal.

My choice is a metal remix of Fight Against an Armed Boss.

I actually think they would go for Fight Against Monster's. It feels more fitting to the reveal of a long gone hero of the stars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCvYVL1FySc&t

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

My choice is a remix of Fight Against an Armed Boss.

EDIT: I found a remix that would work perfectly.

It's going to be "Beware of the Forest mushroom". They know people consider it Geno's "unofficial theme". But it's possible it could start out as Geno's actual them and switch into Beware of the Forest Mushrooms

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
At this point, I'm almost certain that the only thing that could keep Geno out of Smash Ultimate is Square being difficult to work with. I mean, Sakurai considered addingg Geno back in Brawl, when there were a lot of important Nintendo and non-Nintendo characters yet to appear in Smash (Duck Hunt, Megaman, Pac-Man, Villager, Little Mac, Cloud, Rosalina, Bowser Jr...), so he doesn't seem to be a low priority to him. Now that all of those characters are already in the game and that he's had Square's collaboration from the beginning of the game's development (unlike in 4, when they got onboard for the DLC)... what's keeping Geno out of Smash?

K. Rool is the living proof of relevancy not being a problem anymore, there are a lot of characters in Smash who only have one important game in their resume (Shulk, Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers...) and Square already got their important boy in the game to represent their most important franchise, so their second rep could be a less well-known but highly-demanded character. They're not scared of lending him, as he already appeared as a Mii costume when they could have demanded a Dragon Quest or a Tifa Mii costume instead.

I dunno. Maybe I'm getting my hopes too high but I think that if Geno doesn't make it even now with all those things in his favor, the most disappointed person will be Sakurai himself.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At this point, I'm almost certain that the only thing that could keep Geno out of Smash Ultimate is Square being difficult to work with. I mean, Sakurai considered addingg Geno back in Brawl, when there were a lot of important Nintendo and non-Nintendo characters yet to appear in Smash (Duck Hunt, Megaman, Pac-Man, Villager, Little Mac, Cloud, Rosalina, Bowser Jr...), so he doesn't seem to be a low priority to him. Now that all of those characters are already in the game and that he's had Square's collaboration from the beginning of the game's development (unlike in 4, when they got onboard for the DLC)... what's keeping Geno out of Smash?

K. Rool is the living proof of relevancy not being a problem anymore, there are a lot of characters in Smash who only have one important game in their resume (Shulk, Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers...) and Square already got their important boy in the game to represent their most important franchise, so their second rep could be a less well-known but highly-demanded character. They're not scared of lending him, as he already appeared as a Mii costume when they could have demanded a Dragon Quest or a Tifa Mii costume instead.

I dunno. Maybe I'm getting my hopes too high but I think that if Geno doesn't make it even now with all those things in his favor, the most disappointed person will be Sakurai himself.
Sakurai didn't consider him in Brawl, he tried to get Square to let him use the character. It didn't work out. 4 worked out better and we got a costume. Obviously Cloud was higher priority for playable.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai didn't consider him in Brawl, he tried to get Square to let him use the character. It didn't work out.
Don't really understand your point, sorry! If he tried to get Square to let him use the character... he did consider adding Geno, right? I mean, it was in his plans, even if it didn't work out in the end.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Don't really understand your point, sorry! If he tried to get Square to let him use the character... he did consider adding Geno, right? I mean, it was in his plans, even if it didn't work out in the end.
He mentions wanting Geno in as a fighter for a long time, then mentions trying to get him in Brawl. We are never given the reason WHY, but we can easily assume that it's due to Square and Nintendo's status being at "It's complicated."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering means just looking at the character. He made an effort to make him playable. It was more than simple consideration.

But I do see how it's misleading. Bad wording and all.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Considering means just looking at the character. He made an effort to make him playable. It was more than simple consideration.

Oh, that makes more sense. Yeah, that is the big thing about Geno, it was not a simple case of "Oh, this character would be cool, but I think we have some better choices...," it was "I am going to talk to Square and see if they can let me use Geno." He went the extra mile.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman

Oh OK I totally see your point now. Sorry, I am not an English native speaker so I don't get a lot of those linguistic nuances!

But yeah, that's what I mean. Geno almost made it in a time when a lot of important characters were still out there. That says a lot about his chances.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh OK I totally see your point now. Sorry, I am not an English native speaker so I don't get a lot of those linguistic nuances!

But yeah, that's what I mean. Geno almost made it in a time when a lot of important characters were still out there. That says a lot about his chances.
I said it really poorly to begin with. Yeah, he did consider him. He just did more than that. Totally my fault.

I think he has a severely good chance, but any usage of him is pretty much the same licensing, so no matter what happens, Sakurai did his best.

Oh, that makes more sense. Yeah, that is the big thing about Geno, it was not a simple case of "Oh, this character would be cool, but I think we have some better choices...," it was "I am going to talk to Square and see if they can let me use Geno." He went the extra mile.
Indeed. He cannot do any work on the character without the licensing at all. That's basically stealing someone's IP. He either gets licensing, or he doesn't. This is why we don't see him as a Trophy in Brawl. If he had work done, he'd have something like that. It went nowhere. Why? Who knows.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I actually have a fun little idea after they showcased that mushroom status effect, what if they introduce an item(Or just some way) to inflict the scarecrow effect on players. As a scarecrow, you cant attack or use item's like in the original game, and you would be stuck that way for a few seconds.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to update the support list soon. I think I'm going to organize it by name to avoid adding the same person multiple times like I have already.

Remember to like the OP if you want to be added.

By soon I mean after work tomorrow. so it's going to be kinda late tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom