• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
If the blank spot isn't Plant, that's strange. Sakurai said in the article that no character was fully cut from the original project plan, and we know via it's placement it was a first party so like, who or what would that even be? Hm.

Geno would fit if he's considered a Mario character like in the Spirits selection but I don't know...
I feel like Geno is the only character it COULD be. Worked on for base game, cut early? Lining up with the SE character being known by Verge since summer, it has to be a SE character... but if it's not with the third party characters, Geno is the only one that fits.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Clarification:

The missing character CANNOT BE third party. Now if it were someone like Geno that could work from what I understand because he's classified as Mario. But PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS.

It was most likely Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Clarification:

The missing character CANNOT BE third party. Now if it were someone like Geno that could work from what I understand because he's classified as Mario.

That's the prevailing idea and what I pretty firmly believe, but with Plant's stats still being in the files despite everything else related to the slot being scrubbed, that adds a wrinkle that doesn't quite line up for me.

When Plant drops and fills that slot I'll accept it fully again. It's the most likely explanation. But it is very odd. That's why I say that IF it's not Plant, it's someone like Geno. But that's a heck of a lot of mental hoops.

EDIT: oh lol I saw your original post and didn't realize it was edited we Gucci

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Clarification:

The missing character CANNOT BE third party. Now if it were someone like Geno that could work from what I understand because he's classified as Mario. But PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS.

Yeah, the only way it could be a third party is if the "third parties are always last" thing means 3rd party FRANCHISES, in which case Geno is really the only 3rd party it could be. It's NOT Piranha plant, though (if I read this stuff right)

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I feel like Geno is the only character it COULD be. Worked on for base game, cut early? Lining up with the SE character being known by Verge since summer, it has to be a SE character... but if it's not with the third party characters, Geno is the only one that fits.
I could definitely see this possibility. If it was a first party Nintendo character, I think that the potential candidates are Geno, Elma (personal bias? But I do think it could be her as well), and maybe someone like Bandana Waddle Dee (since his amiibo had something in it's data that linked it to Smash, apparently?)

Pickings are kind of slim here, but honestly, there aren't too many possibilities for cut characters all things considered. If they weren't cut, however, that'd probably mean that they'll end up as DLC. All of those characters are possible for DLC in my opinion, with Geno having the highest chances. Also, to contribute to the music discussion, I'd like to see Fight Against Monsters, Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, And My Name's Booster, Barrel Volcano, and Weapons Factory, just to name a few.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like I said, PP has stat values already in the game so it's probably not them. I have heard people spit-ball Dixie too for no particular reason which would be so cruel on so many levels, particularly making her the only Smash character in the history of the series that's been cut twice. Which fanbase has gotten the bigger shaft in Smash history: Toad or Dixie?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I could definitely see this possibility. If it was a first party Nintendo character, I think that the potential candidates are Geno, Elma (personal bias? But I do think it could be her as well), and maybe someone like Bandana Waddle Dee (since his amiibo had something in it's data that linked it to Smash, apparently?)

Pickings are kind of slim here, but honestly, there aren't too many possibilities for cut characters all things considered. If they weren't cut, however, that'd probably mean that they'll end up as DLC. All of those characters are possible for DLC in my opinion, with Geno having the highest chances. Also, to contribute to the music discussion, I'd like to see Fight Against Monsters, Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, And My Name's Booster, Barrel Volcano, and Weapons Factory, just to name a few.
BWD amiibo thing was a false lead. Didn't actually relate to Smash. Don't know why we're considering Elma.

Again was probably Piranha Plant.

EDIT: Thank you for reminding me how good And My Name's Booster is.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
It was probably PP, Chun-Li, or Geno. Chun Li probably got as far as Chrom if they couldn't make a moveset for her, so she's probably not it. Geno would make sense if he was in fact planned way back when. Some other possible cuts or at least considered characters could be Dixie (easy echo/semi echo), Elma (relevant), Dee (popular), Chorus Kids (cut in smash 4, low priority).

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
BWD amiibo thing was a false lead. Didn't actually relate to Smash. Don't know why we're considering Elma.

Again was probably Piranha Plant.
Not to derail the thread, it was just more my hopes/speculation on Elma. Plus, there was some evidence that still hasn't had any deconfirmation in the Elma thread if you would want to look further into that. :drshrug:

Whatever the outcome, I do hope that the Treehouse guy wasn't just PR lip service. I sure hope that with all of the games that are fan requested like Prime 4 and the entirety of Ultimate, as well as the rollback of the Nintendo Creator's Program shows that they're actually listening to what fans want this time around.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It was probably PP, Chun-Li, or Geno. Chun Li probably got as far as Chrom if they couldn't make a moveset for her, so she's probably not it. Geno would make sense if he was in fact planned way back when. Some other possible cuts or at least considered characters could be Dixie (easy echo/semi echo), Elma (relevant), Dee (popular), Chorus Kids (cut in smash 4, low priority).
Not Chun because it can't be a third party character (if said character isn't classified as a first party).

beans

Smash Lord
That's the prevailing idea and what I pretty firmly believe, but with Plant's stats still being in the files despite everything else related to the slot being scrubbed, that adds a wrinkle that doesn't quite line up for me.

When Plant drops and fills that slot I'll accept it fully again. It's the most likely explanation. But it is very odd. That's why I say that IF it's not Plant, it's someone like Geno. But that's a heck of a lot of mental hoops.

EDIT: oh lol I saw your original post and didn't realize it was edited we Gucci
Are the stats named?
What implies that the stats are for Pirana Plant?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Are the stats named?
What implies that the stats are for Pirana Plant?
The stats are named. But besides stats, Piranha plant have no data. So it could very well be Piranha Plant's leftover

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
when you're trying to appeal to mainly kids and smash fans, sephiroths design just isnt gonna win too many over other than final fantasy fans
On what rubric? Who's to say that more kids haven't played FFVII or heard about Sephiroth, given his wide range of influence? Heck, he's shown up in more kid friendly stuff as well too.

Also, no knocks to Geno, but you're telling me kids wouldn't go crazy over Mr. Badass long coat and wickedly long sword just as much as him if not more?
so long term sales (which would most likely be kids getting the game throughout the switch's lifetime) wouldn't necessarily work out imo.
If FFVII weren't coming to the Switch, you might have a point, but wouldn't that be just as big an issue, if not bigger, for Geno?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Also, no knocks to Geno, but you're telling me kids wouldn't go crazy over Mr. Badass long coat and wickedly long sword just as much as him if not more?
thats something id see more 12+ year olds going crazy over compared to younger kids.
If FFVII weren't coming to the Switch, you might have a point, but wouldn't that be just as big an issue, if not bigger, for Geno?
i wasnt referring to game sales, i was referring to it based on the design. im not gonna act like design is all that matters but if youre looking for long term sales on a family console for dlc, more kids are probably gonna want the one that feels less edgy, at least from what i know with younger cousins/siblings. sales wouldnt even really be a problem for geno when snes classic sales were at 5 mil+ in march this year

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Also I'm just gonna say that the Chun rumor from what I recall had zero credibility and also it is absolutely ridiculous to think Sakurai couldn't think of a moveset for Chun-friggin-Li.

It also directly contradicts what he said about no characters cut from the project plan. She'd be sick for DLC though.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Also I'm just gonna say that the Chun rumor from what I recall had zero credibility and also it is absolutely ridiculous to think Sakurai couldn't think of a moveset for Chun-friggin-Li.

It also directly contradicts what he said about no characters cut from the project plan. She'd be sick for DLC though.
While the moveset things is ****ing dumb as **** since she literally have a moveset existing.

I also wonder how the **** you create the charging motion from a FG in a fast paced platformer fighter like smash-

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
While the moveset things is ****ing dumb as **** since she literally have a moveset existing.

I also wonder how the **** you create the charging motion from a FG in a fast paced platformer fighter like smash-
VERY CAREFULLY.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
thats something id see more 12+ year olds going crazy over compared to younger kids.
Bit assumptive, especially considering we're in a day and age where kids are even playing gritty fps games.

Besides, I highly doubt target age ranges like that are Nintendo and Square's priority considering what will sell the best for DLC. Normally the older folk are the ones such online buying capabilities more.
but if youre looking for long term sales on a family console for dlc, more kids are probably gonna want the one that feels less edgy, at least from what i know with younger cousins/siblings
Again, bit too assumptive. Also, classifying the Switch as strictly just a family console, doesn't mean there won't be stuff for all ages, different demographics and whatnot.

And given some of the more risque additions to Smash in the past decade, and the fact that it's been rated T before and nowadays E10+, I don't think things would need to be outright more bright to supposedly sell well and maintain momentum.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Not to derail the thread, it was just more my hopes/speculation on Elma. Plus, there was some evidence that still hasn't had any deconfirmation in the Elma thread if you would want to look further into that. :drshrug:

Whatever the outcome, I do hope that the Treehouse guy wasn't just PR lip service. I sure hope that with all of the games that are fan requested like Prime 4 and the entirety of Ultimate, as well as the rollback of the Nintendo Creator's Program shows that they're actually listening to what fans want this time around.
Elma would probably be someone I use though I am a huge fan of Tora! I would love Tora to be in Smash. His moveset would be fun and funny! Plus he loves food!

My ideal DLC for me would be:
1. Geno
2. Tora /Elma/ Rex
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. ??
5. ??
Honestly Geno is all I need - everyone else would be icing on the cake. Of course i would love other characters but Geno is the goal for me!

EDIT: 1
Unsure if anyone asked but what about Echos? Will those be free or what?

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, PP has stat values already in the game so it's probably not them. I have heard people spit-ball Dixie too for no particular reason which would be so cruel on so many levels, particularly making her the only Smash character in the history of the series that's been cut twice. Which fanbase has gotten the bigger shaft in Smash history: Toad or Dixie?
Honestly, I still feel like its Krystal lmao. The only difference between Krystal and Dixie is that the only reason Krystal isn't in is due to another character. She is consistently shafted by Wolf. EVERY. TIME.

Evil longcoat who killed a major character halfway into the game with a super long sword?

Or

heroic Doll come to life with literal handguns that shoot kamehameha waves?

For the KIDS? They'd prefer silver long sword over blue puppet?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Elma would probably be someone I use though I am a huge fan of Tora! I would love Tora to be in Smash. His moveset would be fun and funny! Plus he loves food!

1. Geno
2. Tora /Elma/ Rex
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. ??
5. ??
Honestly Geno is all I need - everyone else would be icing on the cake. Of course i would love other characters but Geno is the goal for me!

Echoes aren't DLC. As far as we know.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

1. Geno
2. Tora /Elma/ Rex
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. ??
5. ??

for me itd probably be
1. Geno
2. Marx
3. Banjo Kazooie
4. Isaac ( just for his fans )
5. Bandana Dee (just for the sake of completing the Kirby protag quintet)
Echoes aren't DLC. As far as we know.
it makes sense that theyd go the star allies route and give us some free echo dlc waves, but nothing is confirmed in terms of echo dlc

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
For the KIDS? They'd prefer silver long sword over blue puppet?
I don't claim to know what the kids absolutely want. I'm just saying, both Sephiroth and Geno have good arguments for visual appeal to the kids.

And given Sephiroth's longevity and vast appearances, he just may have more kids who know about him.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I don't claim to know what the kids absolutely want. I'm just saying, both Sephiroth and Geno have good arguments for visual as appeal to the kids.
i feel like geno appeals to the purely nintendo kiddos on the playground and sephiroth would appeal to the kid who talks about his kd ratio in halo 3 on the playground (do kids in elementary school still talk about that stuff?)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
i feel like geno appeals to the purely nintendo kiddos on the playground and sephiroth would appeal to the kid who talks about his kd ratio in halo 3 on the playground (do kids in elementary school still talk about that stuff?)
If my neighbor is any indication, all kids talk about now are Fortnite dances.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Sakurai came into the thread, personally confirmed Geno himself, and then proceeded to send enough money to everyone's PayPal accounts to go out and buy a six pack to celebrate. Sucks you missed it.
Gosh dang, I must've missed it as well, huh? Man, that sounds epic.

Anyways, aside from Fatmanonice Fatmanonice releasing his (brilliant) theory, what all had happened, if anything, regarding Geno while I was gone?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Well , since people are talking about ideal DLC ...

1 Geno.
2 Rayman.
3,4,5: characters with big fanbases since a longtime.

And if we could get echos , I would pick Louie and Dixie. Black Shadow is another good choice , and Ninten , if they don't want to give him an unique moveset. I just want more Nintendo characters as DLC tbh

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind Smash Ultimate is unlike other Nintendo games, that are targeted for kids. This game obviously favors older audiences, as the Smash fanbase consists of young teens/adults, so that argument doesn't help much (and like the other dude said, most kids just talk fortnite). DLC is also a whole different ballgame, where Enix thinks more cautiously when it comes to DLC (hence why I think Sephiroth is the superior choice long-term sales wise [strictly speaking SE], despite the very probable notion that Geno may outsell Sephiroth in Ultimate).

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I'm not gonna lie

Fortnite dances are funny
My god, could you imagine if Sakurai came out at the Game Awards just to floss, dab, and then walk of stage? All without taking his eyes off of the camera. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if he's gone insane enough to do it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ideal DLC for me?

1. Geno (of course)
2. Ashley (an actual witch character in Smash that fights with spells and status ailments sounds like a lot of fun to me)
3. Shantae (it's been amazing watching this franchise grow from a super obscure game to one of the most recognizable indie franchises)
4. Banjo (super nostalgic. Would be an amazing reveal)
5. Takamaru or Muddy Mole (my oddball picks since Brawl)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom