• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Nice. I'll remember not to abbreviate Square ENIX when Slime fans are about.

Square ENIX owns everything that they invented for the game, I believe.
why are we capitalizing enix

and that's a really gray area on some things, but I think mostly square peeps worked on the soundtrack. Well, this sucks. The worst part is Square isn't smart, see: PSABR

so unless we're lucky...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
why are we capitalizing enix
He's poking fun at me for poking fun at him...

And yeah, Squeenix are notoriously dense, though I think skipping out on PSASBR was actually a pretty good thing overall given how badly it was recieved and how much of a Smash rip-off it was (quite possibly justifiably) perceived to be.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I gotta ask. Maybe I just haven't been paying much attention, but it feels like the Geno support dwindled a lot after Brawl came out. I could be misremembering, but there was so much push to get him into Brawl that he was one of the most requested characters only under Sonic and Mega Man. I always see people saying things like, "Geno has no chance at all," and stuff like that, but I honestly don't know why they say that with such absolutism.

Keep in mind, I'm not really a fan of Geno. I like the character and think he'd make a great character in Smash. I just wanna know what happened. It may not be as dramatic as I make it sound, but he seemed like such a big figure back in the day.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how I would feel if Geno was in as a AT. I think Playable Character or not at all. But, that's just me personally. Having some SMRPG music would make me smile, as well.

Also, I think it has dwindled because of the huge letdown. If you go to the Pre-Brawl thread for Geno support, you'd be shocked at how much of a push there was for him. He was in Sakurai Poll, I believe in the Top 5. I could be wrong on that, but at least in the Top Ten. Crazy support for a once playable/once cameo character.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Correct me if I'm wrong but is it true that the copyrights for characters last 20 years after their use, meaning after 2016 Geno can be used by Nintendo?

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Yeah, Geno was pretty high on the poll.

D

Deleted member

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Yeah, Geno was pretty high on the poll.
Not poll.
List of mentions from fan-mail.

Xigger

Smash Lord
@ Giga Man Giga Man The support dwindled after Brawl mostly due to the fact that he didn't show up anywhere. Nothing from his game showed up, no trophies or stickers, only the game name Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars got a mention on the list of games in-game. That was it. We took the hint and realized that if the game wouldn't appear at all, neither would he.

On a separate note, if Geno were to appear in Smash, he would may take inspiration from the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games as well as Super Mario RPG. The way newcomers are nowadays, I would expect timed hits to be a gimmick.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
@ Xigger Xigger , That is exactly what I was thinking with the timed hits. With the newcomers having to bring something "different" to the table, this could be what Geno brings. I'm not sure how it would work, as I'm not very good at coming up with movesets, but Timed Hits is exactly what I was thinking.

@GoldenYuiitusin, Thanks. I didn't know if it was a poll or what. I see people throwing around so many terms that it can be hard to remember back to Pre-Brawl.

domriver

Smash Lord
Geno's Theme Song was in Brawl or at least a " Lost" song. Beware of the Forest Mushrooms. from Super Mario RPG. At least we know Sakurai has touched on Geno's area back in Brawl who knows if he will decided to make it happen this time around.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
@ Giga Man Giga Man The support dwindled after Brawl mostly due to the fact that he didn't show up anywhere. Nothing from his game showed up, no trophies or stickers, only the game name Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars got a mention on the list of games in-game. That was it. We took the hint and realized that if the game wouldn't appear at all, neither would he.
Which I don't understand. Why did everybody lose hope that easily? There wasn't any Megaman or Capcom content in Brawl, but he still made it in SSB4. Ridley fans never gave up hope. People even support Banjo-Kazooie still even though that franchise suffers similar problems to Geno's...

On a separate note, if Geno were to appear in Smash, he would may take inspiration from the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games as well as Super Mario RPG. The way newcomers are nowadays, I would expect timed hits to be a gimmick.
I demand that this be a thing.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Well, I like it how this thread is active and back on the first page again:)

But yeah, the dwindling support is sort of worrying, as it does make Geno seem like a one-off character who just happened to build hype around him at a certain time, which then just disappeared while the other big names still kept their support. I do agree that it's weird how everyone seemed to lost hope so easily. But I'm gonna try and remain strong, haha, and support our beloved star being till the very end! And even if he does not appear in Smash 4, I'll keep on hoping he'll make an appearance somewhere else and build from that, and maybe something good can finally happen in the future.

I also like the idea of Geno taking inspiration of the Mario RPG's as a whole, he could definitely represent all that (even though I'm a huge Paper Mario supporter too!). Geno has his specials pretty much fixed, but all the other moves are still pretty much open.

...now I have a sudden urge of playing SMRPG again, luckily it's the Easter holidays for me now!

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Nice to see the thread returning to its opening glory from my "Just Browsing" days.

In any case, Geno makes more sense now than before. If Mewtwo and Jiggs make it back for Pokemon, the chances of a 6th Mario character go up. (However if any series is going to have more reps than Mario it would be Pokemon, but flip it, these are my wishes.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
So, what do you guys think of the news about Sony selling their SE stocks? Sadly it's almost certainly too late to effect anything this Smash Bros, but if things don't go well for us SE fans it could mean some big waves in the next installment depending on how things pan out from here.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
So, what do you guys think of the news about Sony selling their SE stocks? Sadly it's almost certainly too late to effect anything this Smash Bros, but if things don't go well for us SE fans it could mean some big waves in the next installment depending on how things pan out from here.
Wait.... Sony did WHAT?! D:

Who bought it?

...Please don't say Microsoft.

*Now I actually click the link since my shock is done.*

Ohmigosh... This is terrible. Are Square Enix games not going to be published to Sony Systems any more? What exactly does this mean?

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Not to go off topic, but Sony has been doing a lot stuff like this lately. Firing people, selling buildings, selling stocks.... they seem to want to go all-or-nothing on the PS4, putting every last penny they can into it. Though this specific example is tied to SE stocks tanking, but still, Sony could have just kept supporting the company thats gonna deliver two PS4 system sellers (namely FF15 and KH3, and I know about the Xbone version of the latter, but honestly, people who buy that console wont even care about it), but oh well..... I mean, I wouldnt mind a WiiU port of these now that the Sony's ties have been somewhat severed... but thats just wishfull thinking on my part, since again, Xbone managed to get KH3 so its pretty unrealistic to expect anything to change.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Who bought it?

Ohmigosh... This is terrible. Are Square Enix games not going to be published to Sony Systems any more? What exactly does this mean?

Market Makers I believe or possibly SE themselves, you don't sell shares directly to another company (or individual) it has to go back to the parent company or through the market so that their worth can be re-calculated... That said these shares are basically not there at the moment, and all the other shares will drop 'till someone else else invests.

And, no, SE are now a free party from Sony, but that doesn't mean Sony wont support them. Whenever a decision was made before 8.25% of the share-holders vote was made by Sony (which shows how highly the rest of the share holder held Nintendo to make BD 3DS exclusive and DQX Wii/Wii U timed exclusives), now this isn't the case... but that 8.25% was not enough to make a game get onto PS4 on it's own so likelihood is they'll still develop for that system just as much as before... It doesn't help Sony's chances of getting SE games, but they clearly feel their console is strong enough to get those games anyway without the shareholding... or ofcourse they're worried SE won't be around much longer after FFXIV and KH3... which given the drop in SE's net thanks to this is a very valid worry.

(alternate readings are that Sony needed to make this sale because they don't expect their-selves to stay afloat long enough for the System to really get off the ground, and again this could be valid given their stock prices and need to significantly trim their business, but we'll never know how much they worry about that given their PR team)

And the chances of FFXIV or KH3 Wii U ports is still ludicrously low because Wii U uses an ARM processor making it much harder to port x86 games like those two over...

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yes, Geno related, this news sadly is WAY too late to let Geno be playable if he wasn't already started (imo), but it could make him an AT if a decision was close to agreement... especially given today's PotD meaning he could potentially be a Wii U exclusive AT if it's too late for the 3DS...

I'm sad to say I don't think this news has any real effect on Geno's playable chances for this game, but is information that is potentially relevant to discussion of his chances especially in future titles if he does not make it in this time!

Not trying to take this thread off-topic.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I was typing a reply, but then Smashboards crashed on me. Anyway, this is very interesting news that I have not heard. Thank you for sharing it, @ Cheezey Bites Cheezey Bites .

I hope Geno shows up, but I would be disappointed if he was only an AT. Then again, if he shows up in the Wii U version as an exclusive version AT, then it does give me hope that Nintendo is pursuing the SMRPG cast from SE.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Geno's Theme Song was in Brawl or at least a " Lost" song. Beware of the Forest Mushrooms. from Super Mario RPG. At least we know Sakurai has touched on Geno's area back in Brawl who knows if he will decided to make it happen this time around.
Actually the song was called "Mushroom Forest". The music was organized by series and came after a removed M&L song. So it could have been a M&L song, or this from Mario Party http://www.youtube.com/watchv=1irTQG6DQHE.

domriver

Smash Lord
Well thats very interesting. Hopefully Nintendo jumps on it Though im not sure if this particular event affects Geno's in any kind of way. I would love a RE-make of the Super Mario Legend of the Seven Stars. More Content etc etc.. would be nice to give all those characters a fresh look. Would be a good business proposition for both Nintendo and Square. If not a Re-make then at least a Sequel :)

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I actually prefer the look RPG had, anything else would probably ruin the game for me. I'd be glad to have him in another game but leave that one alone.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm sure they could come up with a different stylization, maybe not such as RPG but still not the traditional that would be a great medium and still look better in HD

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'd like Geno, he'd be a fun addition.

It still confounds me how Square Enix has made four Mario games in recent memory and has never added any nods to Super Mario RPG. It's a real shame.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
With Nintendo bringing back old school favorites like the koopa kids, it's only a matter of time before the awesome characters of Geno and Mallow reappear in the Mario mythos.

I think the series needs more unique characters that aren't mushrooms, plumbers, princesses or koopas

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
-sigh-

My roommate got me so hyped for Geno during the Brawl days. He made me play Super Mario RPG, but it's just so hard to root for a character that feels so unlikely.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
-sigh-

My roommate got me so hyped for Geno during the Brawl days. He made me play Super Mario RPG, but it's just so hard to root for a character that feels so unlikely.
Y-yeah who would want to do that? *Glances at Signature*
Hah hah hah...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well my most supported characters are Geno and Sukapon

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It still confounds me how Square Enix has made four Mario games in recent memory and has never added any nods to Super Mario RPG. It's a real shame.

It's only a nod though, and it still confuses me why they didn't go all the way given they had hidden character slots... Seriously though there are issues with the character choices anyway... I mean, no Rosalina, no DQ7 characters, or worse yet we have a property trading game and they don't use Torneko Taloon?!

Maybe when we get the inevitable 3DS/Wii U Itadaki Streets...

Last edited:

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I gotta ask. Maybe I just haven't been paying much attention, but it feels like the Geno support dwindled a lot after Brawl came out. I could be misremembering, but there was so much push to get him into Brawl that he was one of the most requested characters only under Sonic and Mega Man. I always see people saying things like, "Geno has no chance at all," and stuff like that, but I honestly don't know why they say that with such absolutism.

Keep in mind, I'm not really a fan of Geno. I like the character and think he'd make a great character in Smash. I just wanna know what happened. It may not be as dramatic as I make it sound, but he seemed like such a big figure back in the day.
The support has dwindled quite a bit. I think there are a few reasons behind that.

First off, we haven't seen the character in a major role in almost 20 years. He explained a mini-game in one of the M&L games, but other than that he hasn't made a single appearance. Other characters that people are requesting (Ridley, K. Rool, Pac-Man, etc.) have shown up in games more recently and this people are more supportive of characters they think will get in. Not to mention the fact that there was no mention of SMRPG in Brawl leads people to be disheartened that the character they supported wasn't even acknowledged.

Then there is that whole confusion as to who owns what for SMRPG. Some people think Nintendo owns things, others think Square owns most of it. That much of a gray area causes confusion and can lead people to just not want to support the character as it feels like too much work or it's too daunting.

The third thing and this one is a little more personal, but I have seen quite a few people come into this thread and berate other members for supporting a character. While it is immature, it can deter people from wanting to support a character. Luckily that has died down a lot more, but it still was ridiculous for a while.

There are probably more reasons, but I see this as being the big three right behind people just not liking the character.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Quick question about that petition that went around back in the Brawl days. From what I understand, Fatmanonice tried to hand-deliver it to Nintendo's corporate office but couldn't reach the execs because of security. Is that correct? Didn't anyone ever bother to mail that thing, or email it to anybody from Square or Nintendo? Were they just as closed-off then as they are now? Maybe the problem is that they just don't know how popular Geno and Mallow really are because they don't hear from fans directly.

I remember someone posted an article here where IGN interviewed the execs at Alphadream and told them how much people loved Geno and Mallow still. Maybe if we asked reporters from other big-name gaming sites like Kotaku or whatever, they'd pass the word along to the big-wigs we apparently can't reach. Maybe they'd even deliver that old petition for us. It's worth a try, right?

Last edited:

STARRRaptor

Smash Rookie
When I was anticipating the release of Brawl I would check my computer almost 3-4 times a day for updates wishing that Geno would make it. I had myself convinced! Then that day came along where the roster was released and boy was I disappointed. Many others too I bet.
Since the release of Brawl it seems less likely. I'm not 100% sure about the "hidden" mushroom forest track from the Brawl soundtrack, but if that was real and Geno was supposed to be in Brawl, and was cut near the end for copyright reasons, then it's very likely we won't see him in any other smash games... But I really wish we could, I would play him all day err day hands down. SMRPG = best game ever

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I could see Geno happening, in a way that would make everyone say "NO EFFING WAY?!" his demand has died down, which would make him the perfect out of no where but resulting in a huge celebration character.
I think his demand being low now may not hurt his chances, his demand was high when it mattered, it had to of been noticed by Sakurai which would have carried over to this iteration of Smash.
The whole 6th Mario rep thing, who knows anything could happen... even more unlikely things have happened...

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
The support has dwindled quite a bit. I think there are a few reasons behind that.
All good points, but having been around for the Geno support days of Brawl, the peak of his popularity stemmed from a screenshot that showed a trophy that, while blurry, looked a lot like Geno. It was tiny and in SSE, I believe, so I think that would have diminished his support, but it was actually stronger then than before. Once Brawl released and there was no Geno ANYWHERE in the game, Geno support dropped off massively. I'm behind him 100% - heck, I've got the GameFAQ's account 'Geno' that's been around since '01 - and I'd love to see him in Smash 4.

Having said that, it feels like Sakurai's deliberately been avoiding and under-representing Nintendo's RPG series for ages now, so I haven't been that vocal about anything RPG-wise this time around 'cause it feels like wasted time, sadly.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Quick question about that petition that went around back in the Brawl days. From what I understand, Fatmanonice tried to hand-deliver it to Nintendo's corporate office but couldn't reach the execs because of security. Is that correct? Didn't anyone ever bother to mail that thing, or email it to anybody from Square or Nintendo? Were they just as closed-off then as they are now? Maybe the problem is that they just don't know how popular Geno and Mallow really are because they don't hear from fans directly.

I remember someone posted an article here where IGN interviewed the execs at Alphadream and told them how much people loved Geno and Mallow still. Maybe if we asked reporters from other big-name gaming sites like Kotaku or whatever, they'd pass the word along to the big-wigs we apparently can't reach. Maybe they'd even deliver that old petition for us. It's worth a try, right?
Do you guys really think we can make Nintendo know how much the fans want Geno? I'd love to help in any way possible. With the social-networking of our time it seems likelier to get our message to Nintendo than back in the Brawl days.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do you guys really think we can make Nintendo know how much the fans want Geno? I'd love to help in any way possible. With the social-networking of our time it seems likelier to get our message to Nintendo than back in the Brawl days.
We made Geno's creator realize it

I wonder if there IS a way to spread it further.

Geno in Mario Kart

Top Bottom