• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

domriver

Smash Lord
You know I was wondering presuming he is actually in the game. Would the unveiling of Geno would be E3 wise or a Direct wise? I was thinking if it was a E3 deal it would be safe to assume that if they do that everyone would know who Geno is i guess which would make it appropriate to unveil him there. I don't know just a thought :) Would be it such a huge surprise is what I am asking i think.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
You know, this thread-

*clears throat*

Gives me wood.

Last edited:

Matthew "Demo" Rak

Bad at Smash
Slippi.gg
Demo#0
It's nice that you're doing this, but I can't support Geno. He's owned by Square Enix, and he's not famous.
He may be owned by Square, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo couldn't acquire the rights to the all the SMRPG characters.

You may think he's not famous, but he is way up there in terms of character wishlists. He was pretty close to the top of the Brawl polls if I recall correctly.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
He was high on the Pre-Brawl Popularity list. I hope he makes it in, and he does have a fractional chance, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Geno's pre-brawl popularity always baffled me. I guess it's an example of the echo chamber effect.

In any case, I'd love him to be in but he's by no means likely.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
It's nice that you're doing this, but I can't support Geno. He's owned by Square Enix, and he's not famous.
You see I never understood this concept. We can only support likely characters? It isn't really support so much as bandwagon jumping in that case. If I want a character in, I'll rally the troops for it, I'm not sitting back and watching chances dwindle.

Alas, some do not realize this, and drop support for characters they deem unlikely. As Conker the Squirell once said: "Guess it's true what they say, the grass is greener. Never know what you've got until it's gone... gone....... GONE."

Freduardo

Smash Champion
How was Geno able to appear in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga if Square owned him? I've never quite understood it, but was happy when I saw his cameo.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
How was Geno able to appear in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga if Square owned him? I've never quite understood it, but was happy when I saw his cameo.
Square-Enix was credited with ownership. That's the only way he was allowed a cameo. However, it does mean that both companies had him in mind. Hopefully, he will reappear soon.

I doubt Geno will be revealed tonight. I was hoping for a Mario Kart 8 direct, with Geno being revealed as playable (with Mallow) in that game. Then, a trailer with Geno in Smash.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
As big of a Geno fan as I am, I feel like he needs to be in something else before he gets into sm4sh. That being said if he does end up being in MK8 then that would be huge for him and imo greatly up the chances of seeing him in sm4sh.

domriver

Smash Lord
True that. Plus we still got E3 with Greninja bein revealed which caught me off guard who knows what else Sakurai has in store for us. jjejej :) I was really expecting Palutena, King K Rool, Bowser Jr or even Ridley. :p Mewtwo but none of those!.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
So are any other Geno supporters hoping this whole website link leak thing turns out to be legit becasue of the geno page? I don't usually let myself get excited for leaks, but this is the first one to give a nod to Geno. <_<;

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/*

I mean logic tells me it is likely fake. But... Hope is stupid like that.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
@ Darkfur Darkfur I would say it's fake. I believe Waybackmachine can be used by anyone with an account, and I don't know the legitimacy of actual web checks to see if the page is real or not.

Also, you can notice that the bottom half (including all of the non-existant pages) says :80 which is code for port forwarding. Not sure what's going on there.

Unlike the other fake pages, Ike's actually had an entry though. Still empty.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
@ Darkfur Darkfur I would say it's fake. I believe Waybackmachine can be used by anyone with an account, and I don't know the legitimacy of actual web checks to see if the page is real or not.

Also, you can notice that the bottom half (including all of the non-existant pages) says :80 which is code for port forwarding. Not sure what's going on there.

Unlike the other fake pages, Ike's actually had an entry though. Still empty.
Ah bummer. Thanks for the clarification though. =)

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
MK8, to me, is the best place to see Geno. I'd try and get the character for more than just one game. If he somehow appears in MK8, then I believe he will be in Sm4sh. I still have hope. But, I'm not going to be surprised if he isn't in.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
I'd prefer if Geno Whirl were his final smash. I mean, it does have the potential of being the strongest thing ever in the game and deals 9999 damage when timed correctly. But if Geno's in smash either way, then I wouldn't even care who else would get in. I'd preorder both of the smash games right then and there.
Well, maybe not preorder, as I'd prefer to download them on the eshop, but you guys get the idea, eh?

domriver

Smash Lord
MK8, to me, is the best place to see Geno. I'd try and get the character for more than just one game. If he somehow appears in MK8, then I believe he will be in Sm4sh. I still have hope. But, I'm not going to be surprised if he isn't in.
Was there some sort of indication that Geno can very well be in Mario Kart 8? Just wondering because I never heard such things.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Was there some sort of indication that Geno can very well be in Mario Kart 8? Just wondering because I never heard such things.
No indications whatsoever. More of my personal reasoning, so take note that it isn't developers, etc. that are talking about it. In my opinion, Nintendo may try and get the rights to Geno for more than one game. I would try to get more SMRPG cast and Geno for Mario Kart 8 to help build that game for older players, as well as Smash Bros. with Geno being revealed. Just my opinion. Square would gain a bit of profit from both. But, again, just my opinion.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
You know I was wondering presuming he is actually in the game. Would the unveiling of Geno would be E3 wise or a Direct wise? I was thinking if it was a E3 deal it would be safe to assume that if they do that everyone would know who Geno is i guess which would make it appropriate to unveil him there. I don't know just a thought :) Would be it such a huge surprise is what I am asking i think.
If he's was an unlockable as you might think he would be, I don't think he would be revealed at either E3 or in a Direct.
Just on smashbros.com a few weeks after SSB3DS is released.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
As unlikely as he is to appear, I would be VERY happy if he made it in. Good design, good moves, good history with the company, and Square DID let Ninty use Geno as a tutor of a minigame in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, so they are willing to share and cooperate.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I've been wondering how you guys would feel about Geno becoming an AT alongside a playable Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy character?

Would it still be great just to see Geno in the game, or would you be angry that he's effectively playing second fiddle to one of SE's flagship series'?

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Eh, I rather have him playable honestly, since he originates from a Mario game and thats representing much more ,,Nintendo history'' than any other Square character (and also representing the cooperation that Ninty and Square had back in the day)

Staarih

Smash Master
Yes, anything about Geno will do great for me. :D
Yeah, pretty much this. We just need to see him SOMEWHERE again, we can always build up on that. But surely I'd personally give him the priority of being the playable character even if Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are bigger names, because that's what we're rooting for (and it would get more complicated for Geno to climb his way to a playable character if there's someone in his way).

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I've been wondering how you guys would feel about Geno becoming an AT alongside a playable Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy character?

Would it still be great just to see Geno in the game, or would you be angry that he's effectively playing second fiddle to one of SE's flagship series'?
I don't think Geno stands a ghost of a chance, but that's because there won't be a single Square-Enix rep. Sakurai made it pretty clear how important a third party needs to be to be playable, and no one Square could offer qualifies.

Geno is only a special case because he's actually a Mario character. That said, I don't think Square will have a shred of presence in the game.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
What's the legal standing on other content from SMRPG, i.e., songs, stages, etc? I honestly forget since the rights of SMRPG are all over the place now. I think it's officially worse than Chrono Trigger. (the legal standings, that is!)

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I don't think Geno stands a ghost of a chance, but that's because there won't be a single Square-Enix rep. Sakurai made it pretty clear how important a third party needs to be to be playable, and no one Square could offer qualifies.

Geno is only a special case because he's actually a Mario character. That said, I don't think Square will have a shred of presence in the game.
This is not the thread to be discussing the importance of other characters from Square ENIX, but I must respectfully disagree with you all the same.

But still nice to see a half for half would be happier with that than not at all...

Last edited:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
This is not the thread to be discussing the importance of other characters from Square ENIX, but I must respectfully disagree with you all the same.

But still nice to see a half for half would be happier with that than not at all...
Nice. I'll remember not to abbreviate Square ENIX when Slime fans are about.

What's the legal standing on other content from SMRPG, i.e., songs, stages, etc? I honestly forget since the rights of SMRPG are all over the place now. I think it's officially worse than Chrono Trigger. (the legal standings, that is!)
Square ENIX owns everything that they invented for the game, I believe.

Top Bottom