• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
please tell me im not crazy but I see the inking in the background of smash boards just floating orange and stuff
But several other RPGs that came out before Super Mario RPG sold more than SMRPG did. Final Fantasy 5, 6 and two Dragon Quest games sold more than SMRPG did, and those games were a lot harder than SMRPG was. Even the other RPGs that sold less than SMRPG did such as Earthbound were more difficult but have American followings as big as if not bigger than SMRPG's. There's no basis for the claim that the game was deliberately nerfed to cater to American players, or that RPGs in general had to be nerfed to get Americans interested in them at all. It's just not true. If it was we wouldn't have any Final Fantasy games here at all.

I'm sorry if I sound mad or upset, I don't mean to. It just sounds like baseless reasoning that was made up on the fly to justify the imbalance when there doesn't need to be a reason at all. It just... is. The unbalanced battle system doesn't change the fact that Super Mario RPG is a great game, and just because SMRPG is a great game doesn't mean it is a perfect one and we cannot address or acknowledge its flaws at all.
well as I said I made that up as a kid pretty much when I first time played the game o.o it was to justify to myself... I was a weird kid

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
please tell me im not crazy but I see the inking in the background of smash boards just floating orange and stuff
Uuuuh nope you're not the only one O_o What is the meaning of this ?!

EDIT : I discovered something while looking around the forum to explain this "Squid invasion"--

There's a thread where they talked about Mewtwo "glitched custom special moves" (info : http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwos-unused-custom-moves-discovered.399235/ ) and it states that Mewtwo won't be able to unlock new moves...

That makes me think, as Mewtwo is a DLC... Does that mean that the DLC characters won't have any custom special moves ?!
We have to look out for Lucas and see if this is true.
And if it is.... Well Geno's moveset will be quite restricted.... :c

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman

Uuuuh nope you're not the only one O_o What is the meaning of this ?!

EDIT : I discovered something while looking around the forum to explain this "Squid invasion"--

There's a thread where they talked about Mewtwo "glitched custom special moves" (info : http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwos-unused-custom-moves-discovered.399235/ ) and it states that Mewtwo won't be able to unlock new moves...

That makes me think, as Mewtwo is a DLC... Does that mean that the DLC characters won't have any custom special moves ?!
We have to look out for Lucas and see if this is true.
And if it is.... Well Geno's moveset will be quite restricted.... :c
Surely Sakurai will eventually add a full set of custom for Mewtwo..... Well I hope so :( btw this squid invasion is scary XD

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Oh...My GOD-

Ok, I know this is not a big thing (ok yes it is but just read), I was watching CinnamonToastKen's recent Sushi Cat video and I went to stroll in the comments to read them (I like to read them, they are interresting and some managed to make me laugh hard)

I went to see the suggested video because I saw a funny one
AND guess what I saw, I will let this quick screenshot speak my reaction for me :

If you want to watch the video, here's the link but they don't talk much about their choices (I'm currently watching it, maybe they'll do in the end--) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7da_Xshxh8I

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
The possibility for Geno is the only thing keeping me playing Smash 4.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
P.S: The time is now to bring back Geno into the World of SMASH Franchise and #GenoForSmash!

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
The possibility for Geno is the only thing keeping me playing Smash 4.
I feel the same way. I actually didn't buy Brawl because Geno wasn't in it. Brawl's roster was already pretty lackluster to me, and without enough fan favorites like Geno or *insert popular third-party character here* it simply wasn't worth the buy to me.

I have played Smash 4 with friends who have Wii Us and I'm still with-holding my decision to buy one and Smash 4 until I see what the DLC roster is going to look like. If the same crap that happened with Brawl happens with the Smash 4 DLC I won't bother spending my money on it either. I just don't see the point in spending money on a game I wouldn't be happy with.

TailsFan92

Smash Cadet
Sorry I haven't been on in a few days. This is all really promising stuff! That means that even if Geno is not the first choice, he could still very well be in the game. I have a good feeling about this. Something came to mind recently. You know how Nintendo has been releasing all sorts of outfits for the Mii Fighters based on various video game characters? How would you guys personally feel if Geno did not appear as a playable character, but instead had a Mii Fighter costume?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Sorry I haven't been on in a few days. This is all really promising stuff! That means that even if Geno is not the first choice, he could still very well be in the game. I have a good feeling about this. Something came to mind recently. You know how Nintendo has been releasing all sorts of outfits for the Mii Fighters based on various video game characters? How would you guys personally feel if Geno did not appear as a playable character, but instead had a Mii Fighter costume?

I would see it as a cheap cop-out on Nintendo's part. I'd sooner take Assist Trophy status over that.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
After reading through various comments in this thread, I can safely say that the biggest issue is entitlement. There are very few Nintendo characters left who are deserving or viable to become fighters in Smash Bros.. Reading comments such as “I didn't buy Brawl because Geno was not in it and the fighter selection was already lackluster" is an unbelievably naive and entitled attitude. Brawl had an excellent fighter selection with iconic newcomers such as Diddy Kong, Wario, Dedede, Pit, R.O.B., Charizard, Meta Knight and Sonic, plus bonus fighters such as Wolf and Ike

Geno has always been a difficult character to support. Geno has never been a sure-fire or guaranteed newcomer. Geno exists in legal limbo and is an extended canon Mario franchise character. It would have taken a miracle for Geno to become a newcomer at any point in the history of Smash Bros., he was always highly unlikely. Geno supporters need to realize this and start acting mature about the situation. Its bad enough so many other support groups are adamantly entitled over highly unlikely characters

With that said, I have always been the biggest Geno supporter ever since the original Smash Bros.. I remember hoping Geno would be a fighter in Melee, at a time when most of us didn’t fully understand the painstaking process that goes into deciding upon newcomers. When Brawl was announced and we learned more about the process, I still knew Geno’s chances were slim. This continued with Smash Bros. For Wii U. Geno was always a newcomer with very small chances

Until now

Geno has only had one starring role. The amount of popularity generated from a single appearance is astronomical. We are fast approaching the twentieth anniversary of Super Mario RPG and even after all of the years, Geno is still as popular as ever. As far as Smash Bros. Goes, Geno has consistently ranked as a top requested character from fans. This high demand dates all the way back to Melee, and the polls and data are available to support this fact

The Smash Ballot is a miracle in itself. Now that the polls have been opened to the world outside of Japan, the support for Geno will be even stronger. A quick search on the most recent top requested characters reveals that Geno is clearly in the top ten amongst core fans. After removing votes to characters with zero chance from various forum polls, its clear that Geno ranks high

Unfortunately, the current legal status of Geno and his further descent into irrelevancy continues to hamper his chances. While the Smash Ballot has presented new hope, his chances are still slim. If worst comes to worst, at least the message will get across to Nintendo how popular he still is. Sakurai has just about hit the bottom of the barrel in regards to newcomers who are necessary to be added. The next Smash Bros. game could very well be completely made up of the Smash Ballot’s top voted for newcomers. If Geno doesn’t show up for DLC in this game, perhaps the next iteration will be entirely of fan requested newcomers

We can always hope Nintendo purchases the copyright from Square Enix. The copyright does no good for Square Enix but I personally feel that they are a shell of their former self and a completely trashy publisher nowadays. If Nintendo had full access to Super Mario RPG assets and copyright, just imagine the possibilities Geno, Mallow and the rest of the cast could bring to modern Nintendo

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
After reading through various comments in this thread, I can safely say that the biggest issue is entitlement. There are very few Nintendo characters left who are deserving or viable to become fighters in Smash Bros.. Reading comments such as “I didn't buy Brawl because Geno was not in it and the fighter selection was already lackluster" is an unbelievably naive and entitled attitude. Brawl had an excellent fighter selection with iconic newcomers such as Diddy Kong, Wario, Dedede, Pit, R.O.B., Charizard, Meta Knight and Sonic, plus bonus fighters such as Wolf and Ike
I take issue with this. Choosing not to buy a video game because a character someone wants in it isn't naivete or entitlement, it is a smart decision. Why in the world should we spend 60 dollars on a game we know we won't enjoy? Why are we obligated to "get with the program" like you're implying and buy something we don't want? Why are people not allowed to have their own boundaries or standards? Why are we obligated to buy a Smash game simply because they include other characters and not because of our own beliefs, preferences, or desires? Don't we have the right to choose what we do with our own money? Not wanting to buy Brawl because Geno isn't in it doesn't indicate a need to be mature or to accept the reality of a situation we are already well aware of, discuss every day and try to figure out solutions for. That's stupid.

But regardless, welcome.

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
Oh...My GOD-

Ok, I know this is not a big thing (ok yes it is but just read), I was watching CinnamonToastKen's recent Sushi Cat video and I went to stroll in the comments to read them (I like to read them, they are interresting and some managed to make me laugh hard)

I went to see the suggested video because I saw a funny one
AND guess what I saw, I will let this quick screenshot speak my reaction for me :

If you want to watch the video, here's the link but they don't talk much about their choices (I'm currently watching it, maybe they'll do in the end--) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7da_Xshxh8I
[/quote]
Jovenshire from smosh has good taste..... well dam XD

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, the current legal status of Geno and his further descent into irrelevancy continues to hamper his chances. While the Smash Ballot has presented new hope, his chances are still slim. If worst comes to worst, at least the message will get across to Nintendo how popular he still is. Sakurai has just about hit the bottom of the barrel in regards to newcomers who are necessary to be added. The next Smash Bros. game could very well be completely made up of the Smash Ballot’s top voted for newcomers. If Geno doesn’t show up for DLC in this game, perhaps the next iteration will be entirely of fan requested newcomers

We can always hope Nintendo purchases the copyright from Square Enix. The copyright does no good for Square Enix but I personally feel that they are a shell of their former self and a completely trashy publisher nowadays. If Nintendo had full access to Super Mario RPG assets and copyright, just imagine the possibilities Geno, Mallow and the rest of the cast could bring to modern Nintendo
I think that the legal issues aren't going to be a big problem for now. As it is now, Nintendo will be able to buy rights over characters, even if they don't belong to Nintendo. If we can get Square Enix to let Nintendo buy (at least) the cast of Super Mario RPG, then it'll give Geno a better chance.
I wasn't around when I was young (even if video games was a thing) so I don't know how they used to be, but I can see that they are very greedy about character rights (if Geno isn't proof already--).

Jovenshire from smosh has good taste..... well dam XD

I was so excited to see this ! And when I strolled down the comments, I saw some people wanted Geno as well ! Jovenshire helped boost Geno's awareness :D Plus Smosh Games is a quite popular channel (even maybe more popular than Smosh channel itself !) so it helps a lot ^v^

EDIT : So that nobody is confused, until I get a better avatar of my OC, I'll use Geno as an avatar (and promote him better that way :D)

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman

I was so excited to see this ! And when I strolled down the comments, I saw some people wanted Geno as well ! Jovenshire helped boost Geno's awareness :D Plus Smosh Games is a quite popular channel (even maybe more popular than Smosh channel itself !) so it helps a lot ^v^

EDIT : So that nobody is confused, until I get a better avatar of my OC, I'll use Geno as an avatar (and promote him better that way :D)
GENO BOOST.... sorry had too... I really liked your OC but hey that Geno picture there is very badass and it may help ^^

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
GENO BOOST.... sorry had too... I really liked your OC but hey that Geno picture there is very badass and it may help ^^
Haha yeah, you could say that :')

Awww thanks but I wasn't satisfied of how Neb' (name of my OC) looked on the avatar, plus it was a good reminder I needed to update my OC... But if I'm rooting for Geno, better have a Geno avatar for that ! :)

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I think that the legal issues aren't going to be a big problem for now. As it is now, Nintendo will be able to buy rights over characters, even if they don't belong to Nintendo. If we can get Square Enix to let Nintendo buy (at least) the cast of Super Mario RPG, then it'll give Geno a better chance.
I wasn't around when I was young (even if video games was a thing) so I don't know how they used to be, but I can see that they are very greedy about character rights (if Geno isn't proof already--).
Nintendo wouldn't have to buy out the character at all, all they really need is permission and cooperation from Square and they're good to go. As we have seen Alphadream didn't have much trouble getting permission to use Geno for the M&L:SS cameo and they didn't buy out the rights to him.

All Nintendo and Square need are the will to act.

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo wouldn't have to buy out the character at all, all they really need is permission and cooperation from Square and they're good to go. As we have seen Alphadream didn't have much trouble getting permission to use Geno for the M&L:SS cameo and they didn't buy out the rights to him.

All Nintendo and Square need are the will to act.
Well this is even better ! We just need to convince both parties to let this happen and we're good to go !
But again, not trying to sound negative, they seems to be hard to make them listen to us. There's been proof that Sakurai still knows about Geno but as you said, they need to have the will to act.
Hopefully this ballot will make it happen.
Though we are less then we used to, I think we're still a lot to ask for Geno to be in. (As I saw yesterday in the video I spotted)

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
By the by, does anyone have suggestions for charities we could donate raised funds to if we do the SMRPG Twitch stream marathon thing?

TailsFan92

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I suggested Child's Play, but I did not take the initiative to contact them because I thought that we hadn't come to a solid agreement over whether we should go with them or not. Should we bring it to a vote now? Are there any other candidates for the charity?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Yeah, I suggested Child's Play, but I did not take the initiative to contact them because I thought that we hadn't come to a solid agreement over whether we should go with them or not. Should we bring it to a vote now? Are there any other candidates for the charity?
I remember one person suggested breast cancer and another suggested the Make-A-Wish foundation.

And yeah, I think we should set up a poll somewhere, perhaps with an "Other" option so people can put in their ideas. Would you like to do it or would you like me to?

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
I remember one person suggested breast cancer and another suggested the Make-A-Wish foundation.

And yeah, I think we should set up a poll somewhere, perhaps with an "Other" option so people can put in their ideas. Would you like to do it or would you like me to?
I rather have you to do It, @ kiteinthesky kiteinthesky ! P.S: #GenoForSmash
geno sign.png

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Ok, I'll set the survey up so it asks some more pertinent questions from everybody, such as what date everybody would like the drive to be on and stuff.

EDIT: And it's done. Everybody here, answer the two questions on this survey so we can get the #Geno4Smash SMRPG Twitch Stream Charity Thing going! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KWMJD2D
I chose Make-A-Wish Foundation and it'll start on May 1st, 2015!

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
I can't do it on may first because I will be at disney land for the whole weekend. but may 9th seems good for me

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Could someone here help me find a non-animated Geno stamp for my signature please?
The reason is becuz I am trying to to merge all the stamps I have now in my Siggy to become one image, so I can add more character stamps (the whole Smashboards limiting to only being able to use 5 images per siggy deal)

I've looked here, on the old Geno brawl thread and Google images... I'm not looking hard enough I guess? ^^'
maybe... I can just replace the Paper Mario & Geno stamps with other character stamps that aren't gifs, then add them later...

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Could someone here help me find a non-animated Geno stamp for my signature please?
The reason is becuz I am trying to to merge all the stamps I have now in my Siggy to become one image, so I can add more character stamps (the whole Smashboards limiting to only being able to use 5 images per siggy deal)

I've looked here, on the old Geno brawl thread and Google images... I'm not looking hard enough I guess? ^^'
maybe... I can just replace the Paper Mario & Geno stamps with other character stamps that aren't gifs, then add them later...
Hold on, I think dA have at least an non-animated Geno stamp somewhere-- (Tho not as great as the one you have... Reminds me I have to find how you do that xD)

*looks through the browser*
The only decent one I found is this one : http://teeter-echidna.deviantart.com/art/Geno-Stamp-87136381 (Sorry if it's not what you're looking for.)

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Hold on, I think dA have at least an non-animated Geno stamp somewhere-- (Tho not as great as the one you have... Reminds me I have to find how you do that xD)

*looks through the browser*
The only decent one I found is this one : http://teeter-echidna.deviantart.com/art/Geno-Stamp-87136381 (Sorry if it's not what you're looking for.)
Thanks, but I already got the issue fixed now :)
you should be able to see 8 stamps in my siggy now instead of 5, and Geno is one of them .^ ^.
But I'm tinkering with Postimage.org now, so I'm gonna figure out how to add even more like I see some people doing and I might use that one in the future so you didnt waste your time~
thanks again buddy <3

Last edited:
Top Bottom