• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Bruh. I'm wasn't around in the N64 era and even I know who Banjo is. His inclusion would break Jontron the internet and be probably more hype than half of the characters people are suggesting here. I mean Microsoft and Nintendo collaborating and bringing back a beloved fan-favorite character that everybody thought had no chance to one of gaming's finest celebration? The hype would be unreal.
I don't believe it would break anything. He's an obscure character when comes to popularity. Sure, people will recognize him, but you recognize your friends right? One outsider may recognize them too, but to the rest probably won't.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
Talking about Banjo's possibilities is a lot more productive than all this Steve from Minecraft bull**** that has been covered the last several days. At least Banjo is a lovable character and has a long running history with Nintendo.

This thread's stupidity is really making the wait till Tuesday THAT much longer... :facepalm:
Neither is productive because they both cause massive flame wars where people take an opinion of a character as a personal attack. We should just discuss things that are not as likely to cause this. So I'll ask you do you thinks we could get any new modes?

D

Deleted member

When where the last major Nintendo appearances of both Cloud and Ryu?
To this thread, the mediocre SFVI port for 3DS and Cloud's cameo in Chain of memories both count as "major."

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yo, @ManlySpirit , was Mega Man a character where there were people questioning his icon status before he got revealed?
Nope, in fact people's faith in his iconic status is why he was one of the most wanted character worldwide.
Plus people didn't care so much about it back then, I feel. >.>

D

Deleted member

Nope, in fact people's faith in his iconic status is why he was one of the most wanted character worldwide.
Plus people didn't care so much about it back then, I feel. >.>
Except you're wrong, go check out the old social threads on here.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Except you're wrong, go check out the old social threads on here.
If you know them so well, why don't you show me some examples yourself?
I'm fairly positive people thought Mega Man was an excellent choice. Otherwise he might not have been the most wanted character in the world, topping even the mighty Mewtwo, who was both a legendary Pokemon and a cut veteran, in polls.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
Except that literally no one has ever said that (I'm assuming at least)
See
Cloud was Theatrhythm, and Ryu was SF4:3D.

Link, please to specific examples. I'd love to see if people made the same argument about Mega Man's iconic status.
On my phone, and running out of battery, but feel free to ask the megaman supporters if you're so interested.

His inclusion was not unanimous. Especially during Brawl. And opposite to what Ana said, his name rarely came up for Melee due to being 3rd party. Banjo came up for Melee cause he was 2nd party then.

I'm fairly positive people thought Mega Man was an excellent choice. Otherwise he might not have been the most wanted character in the world, topping even the mighty Mewtwo, who was both a legendary Pokemon and a cut veteran, in polls.
Being "the most requested character in the world" means absolutely nothing since you're ONLY looking at the ideas of the Smash fanbase.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
To this thread, the mediocre SFVI port for 3DS and Cloud's cameo in Chain of memories both count as "major."
SFIV3D was a solid port and was the system's best selling game for a while, only beat by Nintendogs.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Street Fighter port does count I'd guess, but a cameo in not even a Final Fantasy game doesn't count for anything. Then again, Ryu actually had his golden age with Nintendo during the SNES days. Cloud has literally nothing.

And here people are just ****ting on Banjo and glorifying Goddamn Steve from freaking Minecraft. :facepalm:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To my defense, I'm just one guy, what I say is not the law or makes something entirely moot.
I can gladly retract my statement if everyone is okay with that. No need to debate over it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Being "the most requested character in the world" means absolutely nothing since you're ONLY looking at the ideas of the Smash fanbase.
By the same coin, you're basing your claim that people questioned Mega Man's iconic status from old forum posts on Smashboards.
It's the same thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To my defense, I'm just one guy, what I say is not the law or makes something entirely moot.
I can gladly retract my statement if everyone is okay with that. No need to debate over it.
Deal is, you're not the only one to say something like that.

SFIV3D was a solid port and was the system's best selling game for a while, only beat by Nintendogs.
A port of a game years after its release isn't a major appearance.

By the same coin, you're basing your claim that people questioned Mega Man's iconic status from old forum posts on Smashboards.
Because people defended my previous stance by claiming Megaman was unanimous and never questioned.

My point still holds true, Magaman then and Banjo now are in the same position.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
The same people who say Banjo-Kazooie is a minor character are the same people who think Shovel Knight, Shantae and other minor indie characters have a chance. These people say Banjo-Kazooie is an out of date character, but that's exactly what Shovel Knight and Shantae are going to be in a few years. Oh wait, Shantae was already an outdated character, until her minor new indie game released, in which case she will revert back to being obscure in two years

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The same people who say Banjo-Kazooie is a minor character are the same people who think Shovel Knight, Shantae and other minor indie characters have a chance. These people say Banjo-Kazooie is an out of date character, but that's exactly what Shovel Knight and Shantae are going to be in a few years. Oh wait, Shantae was already an outdated character, until her minor new indie game released, in which case she will revert back to being obscure in two years
The voice of reason has spoken!

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
cool story bro.
I do not think any 3rd party or 1st/2nd should ever be compared to Indies. It's a whole different category.

IMO, there's a lot of people who over exaggerate Banjo's 'icon' status. Characters like Bomberman, Rayman are above him. Someone like Cloud or Ryu is even higher. Legacy & sales alone paint a clear picture.

Last edited:

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
You claim this, yet you cite no evidence nor provide examples.
Neither have you, all you've done is make statements with out any proof.

But honestly enough of this, it's clear now that you have no intention of stopping with this inane argument, so I'm going to stop allowing it to perpetuate any further by contributing.

Before I change topics, let me say this: You're blinded by nostalgia and refuse to give credence to the idea that times have changed, and that B-K might not have lasted the test of time in terms of popularity. But that's all on you, you feel like need to defend B-K's popularity as if to delude your self that we still live in the 90's. Here's the thing: it's 2015, tastes have changed, the mainstream has changed, what may have popular in the 90's is not what's popular now. The fan base for those style of games will still exist but will never be at the same level of popularity as it was in it's hayday. let's be honest now, if you looked out side that insular fan base, you would see that you are a minority now. Instead of embracing that fact, you're embittered by how others have gotten away unchanged, like Mega Man. Mega Man built a legacy that spans decades; has fans, young and old, rooting for their blue bomber for years to make a come back and shine again. That's why he's in smash; to serve as an extension of his legacy. B-K fell into obscurity because of changes in consumer taste and piss-poor handling of the franchise, there's not much else to say.

But hey, if they make it into smash, I'll eat my words. It wouldn't be the first time:)

We'll see Tuesday

but enough of that

I hope to see Inkling, Impa, and/or Geno and get some nice tournament legal stages:laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want Impa to, but I disagree with just about everything else you posted...

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
But hey, if they make it into smash, I'll eat my words. It wouldn't be the first time:)
People disagreeing that's normal, I don't expect everyone to agree with me

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly, wasn't Mewtwo SLIGHTLY higher than Megaman? I might be wrong there, but I do know the demand for both was incredibly close.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That feel when people continue to ignore the impact of Rare Ltd. on an entire generation of gamers. And maybe characters like Bomberman are still "more" iconic, but iconic status isn't the *only* thing that's going to get them in.

Banjo is one of Microsoft's only ties to Nintendo, so he could easily be chosen as their mascot over another iconic Microsoft character like Chief for that reason. (And because Sakurai).

But who knows. The point still stands that no matter what, "whether something is an icon or not" is up to Sakurai.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Y'all biscuit heads aren't being reflexive with your arguments.

Banjo had 4 games iirc. Only one ever gets mentioned, nobody remembers the others
Firstly, Banjo as a series has 5 games, not 4 (Kazooie, Tooie, Grunty's Revenge, Pilot, and Nuts & Bolts).

Secondly, :4cloud:. Is it just me, or does no one seem to remember that FF7 didn't have a sequel? If Banjo's "one game that gets mentioned all the time" (bull, by the way) isn't enough to be iconic, Cloud's one game and one anime shouldn't be either.

"But Cloud's cameos-" Shut up, we've never taken those into account when discussing Smash characters. Besides, Banjo absolutely also has cameos. Remember Diddy Kong Racing?

Fun fact, FF7 and Diddy Kong Racing came out in the same year, 1997. Fun fact, FF7 came out early in the year on a console with a MUCH larger install base. Fun fact, Diddy Kong Racing got into the Guiness Book for being the "fastest selling game of all time."

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Y'all biscuit heads aren't being reflexive with your arguments.

Firstly, Banjo as a series has 5 games, not 4 (Kazooie, Tooie, Grunty's Revenge, Pilot, and Nuts & Bolts).

Secondly, :4cloud:. Is it just me, or does no one seem to remember that FF7 didn't have a sequel? If Banjo's "one game that gets mentioned all the time" (bull, by the way) isn't enough to be iconic, Cloud's one game and one anime shouldn't be either.

"But Cloud's cameos-" Shut up, we've never taken those into account when discussing Smash characters. Besides, Banjo absolutely also has cameos. Remember Diddy Kong Racing?

Fun fact, FF7 and Diddy Kong Racing came out in the same year, 1997. Fun fact, FF7 came out early in the year on a console with a MUCH larger install base. Fun fact, Diddy Kong Racing got into the Guiness Book for being the "fastest selling game of all time."
FF Franchise > FF7 > Banjo series

Banjo would also mostly appeal to the gamers that had a N64.

Last edited:

WECsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
WECsoul
3DS FC
0259-1277-6150
On Tuesday, either all my hopes become true and Banjo will be announced or they will die, probably forever...

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
On Tuesday, either all my hopes become true and Banjo will be announced or they will die, probably forever...
tbh as long as 1 character I want gets in, I'll be satisfied. And I've got a list of 14. :p

Last edited:

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
I feel you dude. Hoping for inkling personally, but we should all support each in our hopes.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
FF Franchise > FF7 > Banjo series

Banjo would also mostly appeal to the gamers that had a N64.
Let me use the same amount of effort that you used here to refute your logic:

Banjo > FF because what are you even talking about? Sales, iconic relevance, game quality? I rank Banjo higher because it has more honey in it which is, if we're allowing this much subjectivity, all I need to prove.

And, you don't think gamers that owned N64 aren't exactly the same kind that would own Wii Us?

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
IMO, there's a lot of people who over exaggerate Banjo's 'icon' status. Characters like Bomberman, Rayman are above him. Someone like Cloud or Ryu is even higher. Legacy & sales alone paint a clear picture.
IMO, there's a lot of people who over exaggerate Bomberman & Rayman's 'icon' status. Characters like Banjo-Kazooie & Crono are above them. Someone like Cloud or Ryu is even higher. Legacy & sales alone paint a clear picture.

... Boy that was easy

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
Hey guys what's your pipe dream for smash 4?

Mine is that we "Megalovania" from Undertale as a theme for final destination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom