• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Banjo-Kazooie still wins with 3.85 million units sold, while Rayman has 3.05 million and Bomberman has only 1.04 million. The numbers were right in front of you with the links provided.
Not to mention the Banjo figures aren't taking digital re-releases and Rare Replay into account.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
And what evidence do you have to show that Rayman has more fans than Banjo?
The fact the average person wouldn't know him unless they know his video games. Rayman has been represented through different media outlets and plus Rabbit fans

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
It's like saying Skylanders is popular because of Spyro. The series is basically totally unrelated to Rayman.

The Rayman franchise has 25 million in sales with the Rabbids included, so subtracting them it's 11 million for the main games, read the Wiki.
"The Rayman series does not include the Raving Rabbids series."
Straight from the wiki.

Last edited:

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
What's truly sad is that millennial kiddies genuinely believe that Rayman and Shovel Knight are more iconic than Banjo despite all the overwhelming evidence presented to them.

But I suppose we'll find out Tuesday.
So what you are saying here that a massive portion of the gaming community who don't think a character is iconic because he hasn't appeared in anything notable in a long time don't count. They don't know the character because his games have died out its a dormant franchise. If this doesn't change it doesn't matter how much you like the character it won't be iconic. Saying a younger generation opinions doesn't matter for something to be iconic doesn't work because they are a huge part of the community.

D

Deleted member

Shovel Knight can't be Iconic when it is relatively new and hasn't stood the test of time yet. Maybe you can claim it's an iconic Indie game, which I don't know since I am rather ignorant about Shovel Knight.

Rayman is disputable, and is still alive unlike Banjo
Question.

Why is Banjo "dead"?

When his main two games keep getting rereleased each gen...

In fact, Banjo has had an appearance as recently as this Summer.

If a port of SF on 3DS counts, then so does Rare Replay by all accounts. If he's still around in some way each gen, his last game was last gen... why is he dead?

Is F-Zero dead?

What about Metroid?

Morbi

Scavenger
The fact the average person wouldn't know him unless they know his video games. Rayman has been represented through different media outlets and plus Rabbit fans
That is not a fact so much as it is an assumption based on empirical knowledge.

So what you are saying here that a massive portion of the gaming community who don't think a character is iconic because he hasn't appeared in anything notable in a long time don't count. They don't know the character because his games have died out its a dormant franchise. If this doesn't change it doesn't matter how much you like the character it won't be iconic. Saying a younger generation opinions doesn't matter for something to be iconic doesn't work because they are a huge part of the community.
Oh, they count. But that does not detract from the notion that he is iconic. He is just not universally iconic.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
What's truly sad is that millennial kiddies genuinely believe that Rayman and Shovel Knight are more iconic than Banjo despite all the overwhelming evidence presented to them.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It's like saying Skylanders is popular because of Spyro. The series is basically totally unrelated to Rayman.

The Rayman franchise has 25 million in sales with the Rabbids included, so subtracting them it's 11 million for the main games, read the Wiki.
They're listed separately on Wikipedia, Rayman is 26 and Rabbids are 14, or 40 in total. That's actually more than Mega Man or Streetfighter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises#At_least_5_million_copies

I also saw someone mention that he's not that popular in Japan which I don't think is an Issue, at least he's in Japan at all like a couple of indies I could mention

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Straight from the wiki.
You aren't reading it right, dude. Learn to read more carefully. Look at this list

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

The Rayman series is at 25 million, including the Rabbids series. That's why the Rabbids series is highlighted in yellow.

They're listed separately on Wikipedia, Rayman is 26 and Rabbids are 14, or 40 in total. That's actually more than Mega Man or Streetfighter
Wow, are you folks serious? READ READ READ, this is why millennials are so oblivious and ignorant, they don't know how to read

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Summer best seller, and he's right on tbe cover.

I'm sure many people this gen got a chance to play his game for the first time.

Can we just stop bringing up sales numbers? It's pretty safe to assume Sakurai isn't looking at how much money these games made. It's about how much of an icon they are. Personally I think that Rayman and Bomberman are more popular than Banjo and Kazooie simply because while all 3 characters are from the old generation of gaming, BK is the only one that hasn't managed to stay relevant because Rare won't make them a new game. Rayman legends and origins made huge waves and made him a household name again and Bomberman has been constantly having random games be made for about every system there is.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Banjo-Kazooie still wins with 3.85 million units sold, while Rayman has 3.05 million and Bomberman has only 1.04 million. The numbers were right in front of you with the links provided.
I was doing something so I hoped you would do it for me. Thank you

I'll edit this post with something soon so you'll have to check back in a day.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
You aren't reading it right, dude. Learn to read more carefully. Look at this list

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

The Rayman series is at 25 million, including the Rabbids series. That's why the Rabbids series is highlighted in yellow.

Wow, are you folks serious? READ READ READ, this is why millennials are so oblivious and ignorant, they don't know how to read

Can you not read or??

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Bomberman games are still being made? Since when? At least Banjo still exists, according to Microsoft.

Summer best seller, and he's right on tbe cover.

I'm sure many people this gen got a chance to play his game for the first time.
...It's a pretty great collection, got it with my XBone the other day.

When was Rare Replay a best seller
http://www.destructoid.com/rare-replay-is-rare-s-first-uk-best-seller-since-the-90s-300608.phtml

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...ing-video-games-worldwide-in-week-32-2015.htm

I can find more.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Morbi

Scavenger
Can we just stop bringing up sales numbers? It's pretty safe to assume Sakurai isn't looking at how much money these games made. It's about how much of an icon they are. Personally I think that Rayman and Bomberman are more popular than Banjo and Kazooie simply because while all 3 characters are from the old generation of gaming, BK is the only one that hasn't managed to stay relevant because Rare won't make them a new game. Rayman legends and origins made huge waves and made him a household name again and Bomberman has been constantly having random games be made for about every system there is.
I suppose if you believe that sales figures equate to iconic status, that is evidence to support your claim. I do not believe that myself, but people are going to bring it up if they believe it helps their case.

When was Rare Replay a best seller
According to the post you are responding to... Summer. Summer of 2015.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Hasn't Rayman been around for 20 years? With fairly consistant game releases?

I'm far from a millenial, and I remember playing Rayman's first game in my early childhood in 1995.

Banjo's had five games in total. So yes; I would indeed say Rayman's more recognisable and iconic overall.

**** Shovel Knight forever though. How can something so young be considered iconic?

D

Deleted member

No.

Because, "personally" is YOUR opinion, and your opinion serves as anecdotal evidence, and is completely useless in this scenario.

I believe this =/= this is a fact

Raynan is NOT more iconic than Banjo, and saying "well I believe this" doesn't serve as any form of supporting evidence.

Well, I guess :4samus:and:4falcon: are totally dead francises then.

Hell, Metroid went an entite gen without a release, and Samus is still just as iconic and relevant as ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
There is no piece of evidence that could possibly indicate such. That is more or less your point; however, I figured I would save him the embarrassment and answer your question myself.
Except your post doesn't stop me from posting mine. Plus I wouldn't embarrass myself for a lack evidence for a question he asked me.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman

Can you not read or??
Did you not see what I typed that was in the wiki?
YELLOW – This color indicates a sub-series of a larger video game franchise. This does not necessarily apply for series that are not video game-based.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=rayman

A better breakdown so you can understand what colors and charts mean

It doesn't include digital sales, which is why the number is lower but it outlines the 25-14 million split, READ

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
YELLOW – This color indicates a sub-series of a larger video game franchise. This does not necessarily apply for series that are not video game-based.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=rayman

A better breakdown so you can understand what colors and charts mean
First of, VGChartz isn't reliable from what I know and even though it's labelled as a sub-series, the sales are still seperate as it clearly states

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's not saying much since he's sharing the spotlight with like 28 other games unlike say Mega Man who has a collection made up of him alone
Maybe, but being the most recognizable face from a rogue's gallery of fairly popular games spanning 30 years is pretty poignant.

Morbi

Scavenger
Except your post doesn't stop me from posting mine. Plus I wouldn't embarrass myself for a lack evidence for a question he asked me.
I was just trying to help you from digging yourself further into the "my opinion is fact" hole. I apologize.

That's not saying much since he's sharing the spotlight with like 28 other games unlike say Mega Man who has a collection made up of him alone
It is not saying MUCH. Regardless, he is still the highlight of the collection, undoubtedly.

Hasn't Rayman been around for 20 years? With fairly consistant game releases?

I'm far from a millenial, and I remember playing Rayman's first game in my early childhood in 1995.

Banjo's had five games in total. So yes; I would indeed say Rayman's more recognisable and iconic overall.

**** Shovel Knight forever though. How can something so young be considered iconic?
I did not recall that "age" was an aspect of "iconic."

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
That is not a fact so much as it is an assumption based on empirical knowledge.

Oh, they count. But that does not detract from the notion that he is iconic. He is just not universally iconic.
Exactly, which can be used for support until refuted. It's simply weaker than factual evidence. He provided evidence, and I'm insisting for more off of observation

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Exactly, which can be used.
I never said it could not be used, I stated that it was not fact and that you were misrepresenting information to better conform to your perspective because you do not have evidence that is not completely and utterly circumstantial at best.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I was just trying to help you from digging yourself further into the "my opinion is fact" hole. I apologize.

It is not saying MUCH. Regardless, he is still the highlight of the collection, undoubtedly.

I did not recall that "age" was an aspect of "iconic."
Is he really? Conker is further in front of him on the box art

No.

Because, "personally" is YOUR opinion, and your opinion serves as anecdotal evidence, and is completely useless in this scenario.

Raynan is NOT more iconic than Banjo, and saying "well I believe this" doesn't serve as any form of supporting evidence.

Hell, Metroid went an entite gen without a release, and Samus is still just as iconic and relevant as ever.
Never said my opinion was fact. What IS a fact is that Banjo hasn't had a new game (not counting re-releases) lately, while Rayman and Bomberman have. And New Game=Relevancy.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
No.

Banjo being more iconic than Rayman is an opinion though don't act like it is a fact. Also Fzero could be considered a dormant franchise. It hasn't had anything in a while and shows no indication of getting anything new.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Banjo-Kazooie has remained in the minds of players just as much as Rayman and Bomberman, that is the point. Banjo-Kazooie is still getting exposure through re-releases and is still mentioned in the gaming media. While Rayman has more sales and is still more active, Banjo-Kazooie is more closely related to Nintendo and has history supporting him. Besides, his last retail game was 2008, it wasn't that long ago. What counts as relevancy these days? Its not Banjo-Kazooie's fault that his game game out when most of you millennials were still in diapers or not even a twinkle in your fathers eyes

Morbi

Scavenger
Is he really? Conker is further in front of him on the box art
Conker is a great selling point as well. I am not sure which was intended to be the highlight in all honestly. I figured Banjo was just because they used three of his games. That being said, from a pure aesthetic point of view, I can see where you are coming from.

Never said my opinion was fact. What IS a fact is that Banjo hasn't had a new game (not counting re-releases) lately, while Rayman and Bomberman have. And New Game=Relevancy.
And what does relevancy entail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom