• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
(Also, just so Schnee117 Schnee117 doesn't hate me, I made this under the assumption that Lincoln piloting A.B.E. would be an Assist Trophy. :p)

Eagle Strike with "Red,White and BOOM!" is an acceptable substitute because A.B.E still has a presence elsewhere.
I loveMechs. sue me

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
One thing I have to wonder is, why did Sakurai drop a huge bombshell reveal like Cloud in November and not wait until later? If the December Direct is the last one devoted to Smash, how come Cloud wasn't revealed at that time? Does Sakurai have even bigger things planned for the Direct?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
One thing I have to wonder is, why did Sakurai drop a huge bombshell reveal like Cloud in November and not wait until later? If the December Direct is the last one devoted to Smash, how come Cloud wasn't revealed at that time? Does Sakurai have even bigger things planned for the Direct?
To get people hyped up for the presentation. He's the main course. I highly doubt we're going to get anyone with as much shock factor as Cloud.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
It either means there is someone bigger (or just bigger overall) or it was meant to get people more intrested and excited imho.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pink Gold Peach is popular in this Mario Kart too. Heavy characters are just generally better in Mario Kart 8.
Mario Kart 64 was a different story; Toad was top tier there.
Strange argument to use who is most used in each individual Mario Kart game as a direct correllation to popularity in general. People just pick the top tiers depending on the game.
Metals were outclassed at every angle in MK8, and even in 200cc when everybody was using lightweights we saw more Shy Guy, babies, Isabel and the smaller Koopalings over Toad who had the exact same stats as half of them. It's not about tiers.

Wait. Is Miyamoto really the one who prevented the Kremlings from getting into the 2010s DKC games? I think he was also the one responsible for convincing Intelligent Systems to remove TTYD aspects in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Honestly. I have no idea who will be added as DLC. Sakurai is just too unpredictable to the point that we can't take fan-made rules seriously anymore.
Yes, but it wasn't "exclude Kremlings" and more "make your own enemies and not ride on nostalgia." Also note the man convinced them to rehaul Prime into a straighter FPS with realistic Space Pirates from a TPS with "cartoony" enemies.

To get people hyped up for the presentation. He's the main course. I highly doubt we're going to get anyone with as much shock factor as Cloud.
People are going to hella disappointed if Cloud's the main thing. Would of been better to give us Wolf or whatever and then shatter our expectations.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I just expect to be surprised, one way or another during the anticipated comedy show. Smash presentations always made me laugh...especially that first direct that revealed Ridley as stage boss amongst other things.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I always thought it was because this was how the Ryu reveal should have been. Unlike with Ryu we had no kinds of hints saying that Cloud was coming. Not only that but the current leak that was going around during that time was saying that Shovel Knight was suppose to have been the next newest DLC character, that got proven false because it wasn't Shovel Knight. If anything he just wanted a reaction from us for a newcomer that no one expected and decided to drop an even more bigger bomb after Cloud with the broadcast if that is what he aiming for.

Last edited:

ShadyClash

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zachmobile
User was warned for this post
I think I've finally been able to pin down the most requested characters.

Mr. Krabs - Definitely someone who has earned a place in Smash. With two big, meaty claws and plenty of skill frying patties, he could offer a very unique moveset. For a Final Smash I can see him making the other fighters work overtime without any bonus.

My OC Slavic the Hedgehog - Just trust me on this one. He's much more worthy than Sonic, and he can move twice as fast as the speed of light, destroy planets by sneezing, and picks up lots of hot gurls like they're Pokemon. Plz vote for him.

Toadsworth - In his home game, Toadsworth is the God of Destruction. The beginning, and the end. Every time he doesn't like the way the Mario timeline is going, he destroys it and makes a new one. I can see Toadsworth getting in, since if Sakurai doesn't, Toadsworth will just obliterate the fourth wall and enter our world and kill him.

And if you believe any of these you're being silly.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Here's the thing with third-parties...

I really feel like Smash 4 is the time for third-parties. Let's be honest here, the chances of Ryu or Cloud coming back is very small. That's why I don't mind getting more third-parties because I believe the when a new incarnation of smash comes around they won't have priority over actual Nintendo characters.

Also, I personally think that getting Cloud announced and then getting a third-party such as Banjo, or Rayman would be more of a step back.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Fleming better not happen before Sami (especially after PM):

Honest, with Snake gone, it'd be nice to see ANYONE take over his moveset, and AW was an awesome series that could use a reboot.

In all honesty, it doesn't so much matter, reading the notes and posts, PM Sami was gonna be amazing, with her fighting style, and her badass punky attitude. Somehow I doubt Smash 4 would do her the same way.

Too bad she'll never see the light of day... ;_;

CodeBlue_ CodeBlue_ I'll reply to you later dude. Too much to cover, and I wanna play XCX :p
I'll just post my overall views on the impact of relevance and what I think it means in a more organized manner. Reply any concerns you have with my argument overall. I'm probably not clarifying it well.

FYI this doesn't have much to do with Banjo as much as it has to do with Third Parties in general. I should really ease on the Banjo detraction anyway :upsidedown:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Wait. Is Miyamoto really the one who prevented the Kremlings from getting into the 2010s DKC games? I think he was also the one responsible for convincing Intelligent Systems to remove TTYD aspects in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Honestly. I have no idea who will be added as DLC. Sakurai is just too unpredictable to the point that we can't take fan-made rules seriously anymore.
The Miyamoto thing is a rumor, not a fact. What we do know is that, when specifically asked which characters should be in Returns, Miyamoto's only answer was Cranky. Retro made the call to scrap everything else and make Hawaiian Goombas for enemies.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I fit neither into the "YEAH, MORE THIRD PARTIES!!" group, nor "We need more Nintendo characters!" group. I don't think that Cloud really broke the limit at all, and I don't think there are many other Nintendo characters to choose from, aside from the more popular character choices. Some say that we should "dig deeper" in order to find such Nintendo characters, but I already have, and I don't think they're popular for DLC. Such characters probably do not fit Sakurai's criteria for "fanservice", and I doubt people will care enough about such characters to even buy them.

But wait though, will people seriously not buy a character because they're not the character they wanted? I don't know about you, but I feel that's kind of a made up rule. Not to sound naive, but are fans really that entitled to not buy any the remaining characters because they didn't get what they want? I find this claim hard to believe, I mean I hardly see people here say that they won't buy any character unless if it's "X, Y, or Z". I want to believe that people here are open-minded enough to accept almost any character as DLC. I say almost because there will always be characters that just wouldn't work, lol that goes without saying.
I have a feeling that people will buy a character regardless, because even if they don't like the character, they might buy them in order to learn match-ups or use him or her competitively. Then again, it could just be me. I like to keep myself open-minded towards characters, even the ones I do not care for. I didn't care for Roy, but I bought him out of curiosity, and I had a blast playing as him. Also, I have hope for pretty much none of my characters; I do not expect any of them to get into Smash anytime soon, so I can't be angry or disappointed at Sakurai for not adding them in. My philosophy in life is to always have low expectations, until you hear the news you want to hear. That way, I can't be disappointed and angry at people for "killing" my hype. I was the one that "killed" my hype, because I expected way too much from something. Please don't think I'm taking a jab at you guys. I am just asking a serious question here.

Anyway, I downright refuse to actually speculate any characters in full detail until we get to the DLC announcement. I do not want to make myself look silly speculating for things based of mostly fan made rules. I'd rather remain neutral.
When I mean by speculating, I mean like hardcore speculating; basically speculating things based on your own biases and such. Ex: "I think Lip is going to be in this game because she has a new game out!", or speculating based on a slippery slope fallacy. I like to speculate in a logical sense, and I try my best not to use a lot of bias in such things.

On that note, I'll bring this up, since it's always fun to discuss, mainly from how, in my opinion, under-discussed it is. As unlikely as it is to happen, what would be your reaction to Henry Fleming? Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. may not have sold too well, but Sakurai is a fan of strategy games, so I wouldn't say it's impossible that he'd see potential and go with it, but still. How would you react? How would you like to see it done?
I don't even play Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and I think he'd be pretty dope. We don't have any steampunk based characters in Smash. I think he's pretty unique concept wise. That alone makes me want him in. Besides, that game needs more love. I'm a sucker for niche Nintendo series in Smash.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The Miyamoto thing is a rumor, not a fact. What we do know is that, when specifically asked which characters should be in Returns, Miyamoto's only answer was Cranky. Retro made the call to scrap everything else and make Hawaiian Goombas for enemies.
Retro rep: "There are no crocodiles. (Laughs)"

Tezuka: “Mr. Miyamoto didn’t focus so much on what he didn’t like about the previous series. It was much more about what elements he wanted to make sure stayed intact and present in this newest game... So it was more about what he wanted to see preserved, rather than what he wanted to see cut.”

So at the very least Miamoto didn't consider Kremlings as important as the other aspects of the originals...

Honestly, I still don't get the appeal of the Kremlings or why people think the Tikis or Snomads are generic compared to them.

But wait though, will people seriously not buy a character because they're not the character they wanted? I don't know about you, but I feel that's kind of a made up rule. Not to sound naive, but are fans really that entitled to not buy any the remaining characters because they didn't get what they want? I find this claim hard to believe, I mean I hardly see people here say that they won't buy any character unless if it's "X, Y, or Z". I want to believe that people here are open-minded enough to accept almost any character as DLC. I say almost because there will always be characters that just wouldn't work, lol that goes without saying.
I have a feeling that people will buy a character regardless, because even if they don't like the character, they might buy them in order to learn match-ups or use him or her competitively. Then again, it could just be me. I like to keep myself open-minded towards characters, even the ones I do not care for. I didn't care for Roy, but I bought him out of curiosity, and I had a blast playing as him. Also, I have hope for pretty much none of my characters; I do not expect any of them to get into Smash anytime soon, so I can't be angry or disappointed at Sakurai for not adding them in. My philosophy in life is to always have low expectations, until you hear the news you want to hear. That way, I can't be disappointed and angry at people for "killing" my hype. I was the one that "killed" my hype, because I expected way too much from something. Please don't think I'm taking a jab at you guys. I am just asking a serious question here.
This ain't a charity here. If people don't want to buy a character they think is weak or dumb, they won't. If you're that into matchups you either have a tournament scene or just find people on Smashboards.

Most of my close friends don't own any of the DLC simply because they don't like any of them. Most of them being seen as pathetic gameplay-wise isn't helping either...

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
This ain't a charity here. If people don't want to buy a character they think is weak or dumb, they won't. If you're that into matchups you either have a tournament scene or just find people on Smashboards.

Most of my close friends don't own any of the DLC simply because they don't like any of them. Most of them being seen as pathetic gameplay-wise isn't helping either...
Okay. I'm aware that there will always be a couple of people who won't buy certain DLC for certain characters, but I'm asking this as a whole: Would majority of the community not buy a character because it's not the one they asked for?

Most people I know have bought all of the characters. I don't think I know any people who haven't. If they haven't, it's either because they don't have enough money, or because they aren't hardcore fans of the series. Smash has a big fanbase, and characters are a big deal. Why else would character speculation be so popular? I think regardless of what character we'd get in, the fanbase will make it a big deal. If we ended up getting a nobody character, the fanbase would probably blow up simply because it's a nobody character. The nobody character would end up getting enough publicity to where I may end up seeing people buying the character ironically.

Not trying to say that we will get a nobody character. I'm just asking this question to see if majority of the fanbase would neglect a certain character for DLC. I can only see people not buying a character if he or she is a clone character, or just a generally well-hated character.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Okay. I'm aware that there will always be a couple of people who won't buy certain DLC for certain characters, but I'm asking this as a whole: Would majority of the community not buy a character because it's not the one they asked for?

Most people I know have bought all of the characters. I don't think I know any people who haven't. If they haven't, it's either because they don't have enough money, or because they aren't hardcore fans of the series. Smash has a big fanbase, and characters are a big deal. Why else would character speculation be so popular? I think regardless of what character we'd get in, the fanbase will make it a big deal. If we ended up getting a nobody character, the fanbase would probably blow up simply because it's a nobody character. The nobody character would end up getting enough publicity to where I may end up seeing people buying the character ironically. This is just a theory though. I can't speak for the entire fanbase. I am only going by what has happened in the past.

Not trying to say that we will get a nobody character. I'm just asking this question to see if majority of the fanbase would neglect a certain character for DLC. I don't know anyone who wouldn't buy a character unless if they just didn't like the character. I can only see this being the case if the character was really unpopular, like a retro character or a character who is not very well liked.
The internet could explode anyway whoever is the character (my opinion) :p

If is a unlikeable character: Because people would be shocked and wonder how that is possible

If is a "likeable" character: Because a lot of people would be happy and hyped about that character finally join to Smash.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Most people I know have bought all of the characters. I don't think I know any people who haven't. If they haven't, it's either because they don't have enough money, or because they aren't hardcore fans of the series. Smash has a big fanbase, and characters are a big deal. Why else would character speculation be so popular? I think regardless of what character we'd get in, the fanbase will make it a big deal. If we ended up getting a nobody character, the fanbase would probably blow up simply because it's a nobody character. The nobody character would end up getting enough publicity to where I may end up seeing people buying the character ironically. This is just a theory though. I can't speak for the entire fanbase. I am only going by what has happened in the past.

Not trying to say that we will get a nobody character. I'm just asking this question to see if majority of the fanbase would neglect a certain character for DLC. I don't know anyone who wouldn't buy a character unless if they just didn't like the character. I can only see this being the case if the character was really unpopular, like a retro character or a character who is not very well liked.
The majority of the Smash playerbase doesn't doesn't buy DLC. Communities such as Smashboards are the exception, not the rule. Most people would rather not sink extra money into something that already cost 60$ on a character they don't care for.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So are we even considering the ballot anymore or what? I mean, you can't say character popularity doesn't matter no matter how you interpret it. The ballot character isn't going to be Henry or Muddy Mole, for starters. Those are characters they'd put in the base game to start with because people wouldn't buy them separate.

Issac I don't think has a chance in the ballot because GS is pretty old, the last game killed it off, and to top it off Camealot has gone on the record multiple times to say that they'd rather make Mario Sports games because they're easier to make and actually sell. Likewise, I don't see Retro or Monolith touching Golden Sun because they'd rather make their own IP or continue Xenoblade. He's popular on forums, but the average Smash fan probably doesn't have an interest in him unless he looks OP. Probably won't either because he would be more about traps and stuff instead of spamming Fsmash.

K. Rool, again, hasn't had a major appearance in ages. His last appearances were Mario Supper Sluggers as a minor player and a difficult unlock in Barrel Blast. DKCR and TF has had no Kremlings at all, and since the decision was at Miamoto's word, it's a slim chance that we'll see them in the next DKC game. And that's assuming we're even getting another DKC game. He's a character that doesn't have a really appealing design either... When it comes to selling a DLC character that's a pretty import aspect.

Looking at more recent Nintendo characters... Impa's just another character in HW. People would rather play as Zant or Volga because, again, they're really cool looking. FE votes are divided, there's already five FE characters, and none of the choices have really good moveset potential. Bandana Dee and (Captain) Toad still aren't really interesting characters, although Dee has a bit of an advantage because he's been dubbed the only "possible" Kirby character. With Toad, well, Metal Mario probably has more votes. If we didn't already have three Marios already I'd say he has a decent chance.

Dry Bowser on the other hand is a pretty popular character and definitely somebody the younger crowd would want and play as, while also "predating" Metal Mario as far as most are concerned. A Sonic character, while technically not a Nintendo character, they already have the rights to Sonic and most characters as trophies. Sonic's fanbase is still pretty active though, and besides the votes being split between a bunch of characters it's probably more likely then most other "popular" Nintendo characters. They could count the votes by series as well, and that'd significantly boost the chances of a Sonic character.

Other then that... Inkling wouldn't be a bad bet if not for Sakurai probably wanting roster parity and wanting Inkling to be accurate, which is to say that Inkling wouldn't feel right with just a puddle of goo. You'd need to cover the whole stage for it to feel right. Only other idea is if they go by series and include a Pokemon, although it's hard to find a single Pokemon everybody could get behind since we have the big ones.

I mean, we're really running out of big characters here. Most, if not all of the Nintendo icons were present in Brawl.
>Issac
>Camealot
>People would rather play Zant and Volga (literally who) over Impa- the only non-Triforce Zelda character to actually ever even reappear in the series with a significant role
>Dry Bowser being more likely than King K.Rool

You are also the guy who started this 'Steve from Minecraft is an iconic gaming character' meme aren't you?

What a

of crap.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The majority of the Smash playerbase doesn't doesn't buy DLC. Communities such as Smashboards are the exception, not the rule. Most people would rather not sink extra money into something that already cost 60$ on a character they don't care for.
Obviously DLC isn't catered towards those people to begin with...If they are not going to buy it regardless, then it really doesn't matter which character is added...but when it comes to the others who are willing to spend the extra few bucks then it could matter...

The whole point he's making...For those who are willing to spend money on DLC, are there any characters they flat-out wouldn't buy or would they still buy them despite their displeasure towards said character?

As for myself, I'm pretty much gonna buy any character revealed...some more reluctantly...but there are very few I would flat-out refuse...at the moment the only characters I can think of that I would refuse to buy would be Adam Malkovich or Anthony Higgs...

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
That's because they're the casual fanbase. The casual fanbase probably consists of those who are too young to remember the past games or people who play Smash for entertainment reasons only and couldn't care less about any of the content in the game. For that reason, I doubt the DLC is even aimed towards them. The casual fanbase doesn't even know who half of the popular ballot characters are and they certainly couldn't care less.

Maybe I phrased my question incorrectly: Would the Smash fanbase (as in the hardcore fanbase) neglect a character simply because they didn't want the character?

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Not to sound naive, but are fans really that entitled to not buy any the remaining characters because they didn't get what they want?
How the hell does that make someone entitled? Why would you pay money for something that you don't want?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My off the wall musing aloud prediction: Sceptile will be revealed and shown in both Pokken and Smash during the Direct

Why? We have a new Pokemon fighter being shown soon and If the leaked image is correct it's probably going to be Sceptile. Hit two birds with one stone: show off Septile in Smash then segue into the fact that he is going to be in Pokken as well.

Not saying that's going to happen, but if I was betting on the Direct that's where I would put my money.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
How the hell does that make someone entitled? Why would you pay money for something that you don't want?
I say entitled because: We could have easily not gotten DLC at all, and because Sakurai never owed us anything; he never said that he was going to add a character in just because he or she was a popular ballot choice. Sakurai can add whomever he desires; if he wants a weird character, then he will add a weird character. This poll was mostly just a suggestion poll if anything. Sure, more popular requests will be noticed more, but the poll never said that we wouldn't be getting obscure characters either. Just food for thought.

Edit: And by the way, I was talking about the fanbase as a whole. Is the entire fanbase really that entitled to not try out a different character because they're not popular? If you like popular characters, that's fine; I have my fair share of popular characters I want in. However, if an obscure, yet interesting and unique character got in over my popularly requested character, I would give them a spin, and buy them anyway.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
On the subject of third parties, here’s one I think is an interesting wild card.

What’s important to note is that with every third party in Smash, all of them are noticeability famous worldwide and have international appeal. That’s something I think gives Crash Bandicoot the upper edge over something like Rayman, who basically barely exists in Japan. Not only were his games a roaring success on the PSX in the US, but also in Japan as well. The original game was the first non-Japanese title to receive a "Gold Prize" in Japan for sales of over 500,000 units. Plus, despite being most famous on Playstation, he’s had plenty of exposure on Nintendo consoles afterwards, if being associated with Nintendo is still a criteria of yours.

This isn’t necessarily a prediction, but when discussing third parties I think Crash is kind of interesting. That, and the notion of Smash Bros. getting both Cloud AND Crash while Playstation All-Stars couldn’t is pretty amusing in itself lol

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I say entitled because: We could have easily not gotten DLC at all, and because Sakurai never owed us anything; he never said that he was going to add a character in just because he or she was a popular ballot choice. Sakurai can add whomever he desires; if he wants a weird character, then he will add a weird character. This poll was mostly just a suggestion poll if anything. Sure, more popular requests will be noticed more, but the poll never said that we wouldn't be getting obscure characters either. Just food for thought.
Are you kidding? He's not entitled to having people buy things that they don't find interesting. Should people just buy whatever dlc pops up just because its there?

D

Deleted member

On the subject of third parties, here’s one I think is an interesting wild card.

What’s important to note is that with every third party in Smash, all of them are noticeability famous worldwide and have international appeal. That’s something I think gives Crash Bandicoot the upper edge over something like Rayman, who basically barely exists in Japan. Not only were his games a roaring success on the PSX in the US, but also in Japan as well. The original game was the first non-Japanese title to receive a "Gold Prize" in Japan for sales of over 500,000 units. Plus, despite being most famous on Playstation, he’s had plenty of exposure on Nintendo consoles afterwards, if being associated with Nintendo is still a criteria of yours.

This isn’t necessarily a prediction, but when discussing third parties I think Crash is kind of interesting. That, and the notion of Smash Bros. getting both Cloud AND Crash while Playstation All-Stars couldn’t is pretty amusing.
I won't deny the slim chance of Crash actually joining the fray, but I feel he's unlikely for two reasons:
  1. He doesn't seem to be highly demanded.
  2. Crash has been in limbo since 2010 (2008 if you discount mobile spin-offs) and his series' future is uncertain. It's also worth noting that his last game to be available in Japan was released in 2006, nearly TEN YEARS AGO.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And people keep sayinh Hyrule Warriors won't leave any impact on the overall series and would never be represented in Smash. :rolleyes:

Hyrule Warriors' Impa, when?
I don't think Hyrule Warriors Impa will appear in a mainseries game, but I do hope an able-bodied version of Impa gets a major role along with Sheik in Zelda Wii U.

(I suppose Linkle too but I'm not really into genderswap characters. Perhaps she'll establish herself as someone important in Zelda Wii U.)

This isn’t necessarily a prediction, but when discussing third parties I think Crash is kind of interesting. That, and the notion of Smash Bros. getting both Cloud AND Crash while Playstation All-Stars couldn’t is pretty amusing.
Crash feels like Banjo & Kazooie to me. Both were popular in the GameCube age, but kinda died out afterward. (Seems to be the case for Spyro until Skylanders happened. I hope Spyro gets a mainseries game soon.) I think he'd be cool to play if he had any abilities I didn't know about (Meaning anything other than spinning), but I'm kinda neutral on him.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Crash feels like Banjo & Kazooie to me. Both were popular in the GameCube age, but kinda died out afterward. (Seems to be the case for Spyro until Skylanders happened. I hope Spyro gets a mainseries game soon.) I think he'd be cool to play if he had any abilities I didn't know about (Meaning anything other than spinning), but I'm kinda neutral on him.
You mean the PS1/64 age, right? Those were the golden days for those characters, especially considering BK didn't get a console game during the sixth generation of video games. Another thing is you could argue that Crash would be less of a hassle to get due to well, not being owned by Microsoft.

But really the main reason I considered Crash to begin with is that he's seemingly one of the few western characters that actually had success stories in Japan, which I think is a positive considering every third party in Smash has been successful enough worldwide. How much did Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie sell in Japan?

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Are you kidding? He's not entitled to having people buy things that they don't find interesting. Should people just buy whatever dlc pops up just because its there?
Again, I'm talking about the entirety of the fanbase. Would majority of the fanbase downright refuse to buy an unpopular character? I actually think that it is more likely for us to get popular characters, anyway. I'm asking this because there is no rule saying that there won't be an obscure character from the ballot. I have yet to see people saying that they wouldn't buy a character because he or she isn't "X"

Eh whatever. I tried here but I don't think my argument was well thought out as I thought it was. I never had seen people question this "People won't buy X character because they aren't Y character" argument before, and now that I think about it, it's just common sense. Basic supply and demand.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You mean the PS1/64 age, right? Those were the golden days for those characters, especially considering BK didn't get a console game during the sixth generation of video games. Another thing is you could argue that Crash would be less of a hassle to get due to well, not being owned by Microsoft.

But really the main reason I considered Crash to begin with is that he's seemingly one of the few western characters that actually had success stories in Japan, which I think is a positive considering every third party in Smash has been successful enough worldwide. How much did Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie sell in Japan?
Yeah. I don't know why I said Gamecube.

Again, I'm talking about the entirety of the fanbase. Would majority of the fanbase downright refuse to buy an unpopular character? I actually think that it is more likely for us to get popular characters, anyway. I'm asking this because there is no rule saying that there won't be an obscure character from the ballot. I have yet to see people saying that they wouldn't buy a character because he or she isn't "X"

Eh whatever. I tried here but I don't think my argument was well thought out as I thought it was. I never had seen people question this "People won't buy X character because they aren't Y character" argument before, and now that I think about it, it's just common sense. Basic supply and demand.
I think you both have a point here. No, nobody has to, or should buy any character they don't want to, but people shouldn't immediately dismiss a character because of who he is, and should at least look into him/her/it, before not buying. (With the exception being that you despise the character and everything he/she/it stands for :b:)

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I think you both have a point here. No, nobody has to, or should buy any character they don't want to, but people shouldn't immediately dismiss a character because of who he is, and should at least look into him/her/it, before not buying. (With the exception being that you despise the character and everything he/she/it stands for :b:)
Yes! Thank you! That's what I meant. I'm not the best at wording things. Because of that, I may come off as a little mean and confrontational. I felt the word "entitled" was too harsh to use, and I regret using that term.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post
>Issac
>Camealot
>People would rather play Zant and Volga (literally who) over Impa- the only non-Triforce Zelda character to actually ever even reappear in the series with a significant role
>Dry Bowser being more likely than King K.Rool

You are also the guy who started this 'Steve from Minecraft is an iconic gaming character' meme aren't you?

What a

of crap.
I stopped paying attention to this dude since everything he says is complete bullplop. When he started talking about Toad being unpopular, is about the time I tuned him out. Plus, now he's acting like he knows DLC spending habits of people who own the game, claiming no one buys DLC except people on Smashboards. I'm a highly outspoken person and I understand my opinions are divisive, but at least I don't live in my own fantasy land

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
With all of the minecraft salt recently (seriously guys, it's not gonna happen, chill lol) I thought this video would be appropriate:

It's just Link with a model of Steve pasted over it, but it looks surprisingly okay. I used to play a lot of minecraft, so I wouldn't mind Steve.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Retro rep: "There are no crocodiles. (Laughs)"

Tezuka: “Mr. Miyamoto didn’t focus so much on what he didn’t like about the previous series. It was much more about what elements he wanted to make sure stayed intact and present in this newest game... So it was more about what he wanted to see preserved, rather than what he wanted to see cut.”

So at the very least Miamoto didn't consider Kremlings as important as the other aspects of the originals...

Honestly, I still don't get the appeal of the Kremlings or why people think the Tikis or Snomads are generic compared to them.
Snowmads are mostly beloved, it's the Tikis most people think are bland as hell. But that's another can of worms.

Looks like GoNintendo deleted the actual source where the bit about Miyamoto specifically wanting Cranky, but here's a FAQs thread discussing it. It matches up with what Tezuka said there. Which, it shouldn't really matter what Miyamoto thinks about Kremlings, just so long as he's not actively going around poo-pooing their return in DKC or Smash.

Side note, there are fan theories that Cranky Kong was designed to be a parody of Miyamoto in the original DKC, hence his snark about gameplay and the good ol' days. Maybe Miyamoto caught on and liked the idea, heh.

Last edited:

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
What if this new character was a rep for Xenoblade Chronicles X. That's the most hyped Nintendo property I can see right now. The other two option would be a Zelda (specifically Hyrule Warriors) rep, or even Wolf, as Star Fox Zero is coming soon.
If we're speculating on what I want as a fan, Shovel Knight or Snake would do me fine.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Edit: And by the way, I was talking about the fanbase as a whole. Is the entire fanbase really that entitled to not try out a different character because they're not popular? If you like popular characters, that's fine; I have my fair share of popular characters I want in. However, if an obscure, yet interesting and unique character got in over my popularly requested character, I would give them a spin, and buy them anyway.
I'd argue with the first point. People were really upset with the original roster, remember :4lucina::4darkpit::4drmario: were in and :4mewtwo: wasn't at the time. That didn't exactly rub people in a good way. If we hadn't gotten any DLC for a game that is capable of DLC, there would be some very unhappy fans and shareholders. Now for the second point, if Sakurai can add whoever he wants, why even bother having the ballot? I mean if you've already got a pre determined character, why bother having a ballot? Is it so he can use the ballot as an excuse to add that character and claim that the fans voted on that character? I can't wait for speculation to end, I'm getting sick and tired of it.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
With all of the minecraft salt recently (seriously guys, it's not gonna happen, chill lol) I thought this video would be appropriate:

It's just Link with a model of Steve pasted over it, but it looks surprisingly okay. I used to play a lot of minecraft, so I wouldn't mind Steve.
As a character, yeah, I doubt Steve will happen. I can't really come up with a good argument against him (And I haven't seen anyone else come up with a very solid one either), but I can't see him getting in over other popular, requested characters. He'd look bizarre in Smash, they'd either have to take a lot of liberties with his movements and animations (Steve isn't very limber in Minecraft) to the point that he wouldn't act like Steve, or they'd make him like he is in Minecraft, rigid with little animation, which would probably look extremely bad compared to other characters in the game.

Basically, gut feelings because I KNOW THINGS GUYS I PROMISE!!!

Now, as a Mii costume, THAT I could see happening. Either a Diamond Armor Swordfighter or a Creeper Hat, something like that would be perfect.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I'd argue with the first point. People were really upset with the original roster, remember :4lucina::4darkpit::4drmario: were in and :4mewtwo: wasn't at the time. That didn't exactly rub people in a good way. If we hadn't gotten any DLC for a game that is capable of DLC, there would be some very unhappy fans and shareholders. Now for the second point, if Sakurai can add whoever he wants, why even bother having the ballot? I mean if you've already got a pre determined character, why bother having a ballot? Is it so he can use the ballot as an excuse to add that character and claim that the fans voted on that character? I can't wait for speculation to end, I'm getting sick and tired of it.
What I can see though, is people got over it, or at least most people I've seen have gotten over it. About the ballot: There have been ballots before in the past, and there are times that characters didn't get in despite being popularly requested. I also don't remember Sakurai ever even saying that he added a character because people voted for them, and I highly doubt he will in the future. The poll is just a suggestion poll, a poll used to gauge characters basically. We may get a popular character and we may not get a popular character, but judging by the past DLC characters we've gotten, we might get a popular one in the end.

Lol, I wish the speculation would just end already too, to be honest with you. I'm only asking this question because I don't recall anyone trying to confront such an argument. I wish to challenge someone here by offering an unpopular opinion. Not trying to make you feel like crap for asking for a character that is considered popular, I'm trying not to do that.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
What I can see though, is people got over it, or at least most people I've seen have gotten over it. About the ballot: There have been ballots before in the past, and there are times that characters didn't get in despite being popularly requested. I also don't remember Sakurai ever even saying that he added a character because people voted for them, and I highly doubt he will in the future. The poll is just a suggestion poll, a poll used to gauge characters basically. We may get a popular character and we may not get a popular character, but judging by the past DLC characters we've gotten, we might get a popular one in the end.

Lol, I wish the speculation would just end already too, to be honest with you. I'm only asking this question because I don't recall anyone trying to confront such an argument. I wish to challenge someone here by offering an unpopular opinion. Not trying to make you feel like crap for asking for a character that is considered popular, I'm trying not to do that.
I want to move on, I just want to know if the characters I want made it in or not. If they don't get in I don't want Sakurai to give a stupid excuse as to why they didn't get in. Honestly that's worse than the character just not getting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom