• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I remember a time when people requested NINTENDO characters for Smash.

I hate to a nostalgic anus, but can we go back to that time, please? That'll be great.
Most of the bigger names are already in.

Though K. Rool, Inklings and Bandana Dee do have a lot of support.

:231:

D

Deleted member

I hate to a nostalgic anus, but can we go back to that time, please? That'll be great.
Banjo is a Nintendo mascot, pity you weren't around for it.

Would be nice to go back to those simpler times of the N64 era though, I agree. When people voted for Banjo, and kiddies didn't ***** about him not being Nintendo. :troll:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
"Until I see a Western character in Smash, then I won't believe it."

"Oh, but that one western character already in Smash doesn't count."

Yes, because yesterday M$ was totally NOT promoting the WiiU release of Minecraft.
Uhh Nintendo is a Japanese company Diddy is owned by Nintendo?

Wot

And im not implying kkr wont get in, because hes owned by a japanese company.

But as far as western company owned characters go, believe it when I see it. If Rayman didnt happen with ubisoft pouring in models and such...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The distinction was made because this game is still a Nintendo fighting game and Sakurai himself has said that the third parties have to be special cases. Also from a business standpoint the third party has to be worth the money spent to get the licence especially for dlc.
And Banjo qualifies for all of Sakurai's criteria, is a special case, one of the most requested character, has been considered by Sakurai, and would sell himself very well considering the buzz he generates.

Your point?

Uhh Nintendo is a Japanese company Diddy is owned by Nintendo?

Wot
And was created by Rare, a western dev. Yep. From England to be exact.

EDIT:
And the Rayman case is a false dichotomy that cannot be compared, since we know nothing ofvthe circumstances, or if he was planned to be playable at all.

Plus, Rayman is far less relevant to Nintendo than Banjo. Like far FAR less.

Last edited by a moderator:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
And Banjo qualifies for all of Sakurai's criteria, is a special case, one of the most requested character, has been considered by Sakurai, and would sell himself very well considering the buzz he generates.

Your point?

And was created by Rare, a western dev. Yep. From England to be exact.
Not saying western created characters cant get...

Just saying western own...

Theres a difference

Rare doesnt own Diddy...

You alright?

Half this board has oppositional difiance disorder, I swear m8.
Cant even post an opinion without being told your opinions wrong.

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Additional dimension for Steve's possible inclusion: Microsoft is publishing Minecraft on the WiiU in Japan. Like, they're publishing a Nintendo game. The whole Minecraft situation is pretty wild.

I'm going to lay off the Steve talk, for I'm not really a supporter of him but rather a supporter of wild picks we could probably never get otherwise.

But haven't every possible Nintendo character people wanted as a character been discussed to hell and back at this point? At this point, I'd love a Discord / IRC group chat or something to that effect about all sorts of meaningless speculation for Smash DLC.

Last edited:

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476

Your point?
My point is he's unlikely not impossible because people are starting to act like he is guaranteed after cloud was announced. Being owned by another first party company is a big hit on his chances. If he was owned by another company he would have better chances but I don't think Banjo has a good chance to get in.

D

Deleted member

My point is he's unlikely not impossible because people are starting to act like he is guaranteed after cloud was announced. Being owned by another first party company is a big hit on his chances. If he was owned by another company he would have better chances but I don't think Banjo has a good chance to get in.
And that would be YOUR opinion, and that's fine. But I disagree.

Personally, I've been saying Banjo's had a GREAT chance since Phil gave the OK, and he topped many polls for the ballots. In fact, the fact that there's ballots at all spelled great things for Banjo.

Now, all these recent happenings with Cloud and Minecraft futher support this possibility.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
And that would be YOUR opinion, and that's fine. But I disagree.

Personally, I've been saying Banjo's had a GREAT chance since Phil gave the OK, and he topped many polls for the ballots. In fact, the fact that there's ballots at all spelled great things for Banjo.

Now, all these recent happenings with Cloud and Minecraft futher support this possibility.
Fair enough I just never saw his chances as good even after the Phil Spencer tweet as pretty much anyone would allow their character in smash. I don't know why anyone wouldn't wan't their character in smash. Though lets move the discussion off Banjo because that can cause flame wars and we don't need this for another 5 pages. So does anyone think we'll get dlc game modes?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fair enough I just never saw his chances as good even after the Phil Spencer tweet as pretty much anyone would allow their character in smash. I don't know why you wouldn't. Though lets move the discussion off Banjo because that can cause flame wars and we don't need this for another 5 pages. So does anyone think well get dlc game modes?
I'll just go back to playing XCX and wait for that Luffy guy to gimme his reply, this discussion has been too distracting.

Latez.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I think the problem might be that we're running out of characters that people can agree to be important or noteworthy. If we assume that Mii costumes mean that the development team has no interest in making those characters (something that I don't believe, but for the sake of argument, let's assume this is the case), that rules out Inklings and K. Rool, two of the most popular characters. Sakurai seems to have his mind set for characters like Ridley and Toad, so at the very least, they likely won't happen this game.

Who does that leave? There's Dixie, who would make sense, but she isn't nearly as popular as K. Rool, so she doesn't get as much discussion. Characters like Isaac and Bandanna Waddle Dee can be divisive (Isaac being not relevant enough in some people's eyes, and Waddle Dee being too new for the tastes of some). There's veterans like Wolf, Squirtle, and Ivysaur, but some people are dead-set on not wanting any more veterans as DLC. Those seem to be the main ones that stand out, unless I've forgotten some.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Don't really understand why all of a sudden having ONE GAME on the Wii U makes a Minecraft character in Smash Bros. likely. Like what?

The next 3rd party coming to Smash after Cloud Strife is...Minecraft Steve? I don't really...yeah.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Don't really understand why all of a sudden having ONE GAME on the Wii U makes a Minecraft character in Smash Bros. likely. Like what?

The next 3rd party coming to Smash after Cloud Strife is...Minecraft Steve? I don't really...yeah.
If we were in The Phantom Tollbooth, this community would have already died from jumping to conclusions, and starving there.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

It's no different than say, Geno fans saying Geno is coming after Cloud getting in.

It's just the manipulation of circumstances to suit one's personal belief, and we're all guilty of this.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

No kidding. It's interesting, people are all over the minor, lesser-known Nintendo characters when Sakurai is adding them and they're "so unique" and "add diversity to the game because popular characters are boring." The second he flips to adding (two) third party icons (as DLC as safe picks for pre-ballot $$$), though, Smash suddenly becomes "Video Game All Stars, and it was never about Nintendo All Stars," and Nintendo is suddenly out of "so unique" picks to add.

Granted, you have to dig a little to see the interesting Nintendo newcomers left waiting in the wings, and not have them spoonfed to you via recent game appearances, but they're there if you care to look. King Boo, for starters, is one of my favorite dark horse picks that could blow many third party candidates out of the water with all the stuff he can do.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No need for that.

------------------------------------------

And more thing, from here on out, we will be infracting any posts which are unnecessarily hostile. The thread has had enough of it. If you can't have a calm mind during a discussion, please don't post here.

And PLEASE, do NOT reply to a post that is flaming or trolling you. Report it, and we will take care of that.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
No kidding. It's interesting, people are all over the minor, lesser-known Nintendo characters when Sakurai is adding them and they're "so unique" and "add diversity to the game because popular characters are boring." The second he flips to adding (two) third party icons (as DLC as safe picks for pre-ballot $$$), though, Smash suddenly becomes "Video Game All Stars, and it was never about Nintendo All Stars," and Nintendo is suddenly out of "so unique" picks to add.

Granted, you have to dig a little to see the interesting Nintendo newcomers left waiting in the wings, and not have them spoonfed to you via recent game appearances, but they're there if you care to look. King Boo, for starters, is one of my favorite dark horse picks that could blow many third party candidates out of the water with all the stuff he can do.
He'd be interesting to say the least.

Muddy Mole is my dark horse. Digging + Traps.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm kind of guilty about speculating on non-Nintendo characters myself, but there's a problem in discussing Nintendo-based newcomers...
Nobody can agree on anything. Whatever Nintendo character people will speculate about, you'll get at least one person saying "NO, THAT'S A DUMB PICK; MINE IS MORE LIKELY." Doesn't matter if it's Ridley, Impa, K.Rool, Dixie, Wolf or anybody else, it'll inevitably end up with some people crying foul on what you want, which can just cause debate and then threads get heated.

And good luck if you have a character that's not conventional or cool that you want with all your heart; you'll have about 5 seconds before getting ripped to shreds by people. The speculation "community" is more like a group of cults rather than an actual community, most of the time.
Granted, it's not nearly as bad on here as I've seen it on GameFAQs, but there's still that lingering cultist idea where we separate each other into groups soely based on which fictional characters we want in a video game.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Toon Ganondorf? From Wind Waker? Not a likely pick, but there are plenty of people who weren't happy with TP Ganondorf's style in Smash currently. If we had Ganondorf ripped right from Wind Waker, with twin swords and everything, we could have the best of both worlds.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Toon Ganondorf? From Wind Waker? Not a likely pick, but there are plenty of people who weren't happy with TP Ganondorf's style in Smash currently. If we had Ganondorf ripped right from Wind Waker, with twin swords and everything, we could have the best of both worlds.
Even then, you have people arguing for Ganon instead, or Zant, or Impa, or Midna, etc.

And just as there's people who dislike Falcondorf, many also like Falcondorf, too. You can't just **** on a whole group of people just because another group is whining about a moveset.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think a Trident wielding Ganondorf is a viable alternative to Sword Ganondorf thanks to Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wasn't talking about bring back :younglinkmelee: as a clone, that slot was completely taken by :4tlink:, I was talking about :younglinkmelee: returning with a completely, or almost completely, revamped moveset more based on a mix of his unique items and attacks from Majora's Mask and how he played in Hyrule Warriors, as a 2-Handed Sword User, only using the Great Fairy Sword or Gilded Sword instead of the enlarged Kokiri Sword like in Hyrule Warriors. His Final Smash would then be Fierce Deity Link, keeping his status as THE most formidable and nearly broken character in the History of the Zelda Franchise.

Doing it like I stated there would ensure that :younglinkmelee: would NOT play like :4tlink: or :4link: but rather have his own unique moveset while still feeling true to his character. If you were unaware, when :younglinkmelee: used the Great Fairy Sword in Majora's Mask and his moveset in Hyrule Warriors is based on how :linkmelee: used the Biggoron Sword in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which is also where Fierce Deity Link got his attack style.

Regardless of whether we used :younglinkmelee: or Fierce Deity Link, it would still be a 3rd Link and a new moveset based on the Biggoron Sword playstyle of :linkmelee: in Ocarina of Time.
If anything, YLink could pull a Roy if he were to come back by having his normal attacks changed up for the most part though retaining his neutrals from Melee only tweaked to a certain degree. I'm doubtful of his chances right now but I would accept him with open arms if he managed to get in the game.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that most Niny newcomers that were highly requested made it in Brawl? That's the case for me personally. I quite literally didn't care about (or in some cases didn't like) any of the newcomers in this game (sans third party and DLC).

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I'm not changing definitions, I'm addressing the fallacy in misusing the meaning of a term to make it purely subjective.

And in the second part of this, you're proving my point, relevancy is a purely subjective experience.
You used extreme examples (players who clearly dont play many Nintendo games) to disprove relevancy. Why bother evaluating relevancy with players that are scarcely gamers? Do you think these people will buy Smash DLC? They don't even apply to what makes a character iconic or relevant because they don't give a **** about video games. I already said they only recognized characters because they are pop culture icons.

This even applies for people who play on only one platform. They don't matter when it comes to evaluating relevancy because they don't even play games on other systems. If I can't recognize Kratos, can I really judge his importance (if any) to gaming? Do I care if he does/doesn't get into a hypothetical PSABR sequel?

Your claim for subjectivity actually is comparing a player group that really doesn't influence whether something is iconic (or relevant) to a player group that does.

Imagine if a game sold 20 million copies and had universal acclaim and I showed a picture of the main character to 20 prople who clearly had no idea who he was. Is that an accurate evaluation of his influence in gamimg?

What if I did this for a indie gamethat barely broke a million copies? Does that mean the 20 million copy icon is just as prevalent as the 1 million copy icon?

Is relevance referring to how recently a character has had a major release? Or to the impact within the industry? Mega Man for example qualifies in the latter and not the former, yet, you believe Master Chief to be relevant, thus, which is more relevant?
Relevancy to the gaming public is being remembered and appreciated. This isn't a superficial "I remember him". This is legitimately appreciating a game character years after he came out.

I used to love AVGN circa 2012-2013. But three years later he has fallen a little bit into obscurity and now that I'm older I kinda don't feel the same way I do before.

This is how people treat video games.

I'm not arguing that relevancy=having a recent game. I'm arguing that they still matter and have survived the test of time for the majority of players.
What about characters who'll have NO lasting appeal? Like Shulk. If you've played the XB games, you'll know he's only getting one game, and that's it. Thus, can we say he's relevat? And if so, how so?
This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. We don't know how popular Shulk will be in the future. Don't assume he has no lasting appeal without giving some form of evidence.
This is absurd.

Why would it apply to one and not the other? Why must there be a distinction?
Because Sakurai has explcitly stated that third parties have different criterion than First Parties. First parties are central to Nintendo's history. Third parties are not; they are optional "guest" characters.

Sakurai believes third party characters have to be gaming icons. It is incredibly unlikely that Sakurai will put in an indie character (for example) for this reason.
Again, this is just proving that "relevance" is just a purely subjective term. There are no objective grounds to define it. People merely make things up as they go, and they often times conflict with Sakurai's perception of things, leading people to say "oh, Sakurai just does what he wants" when in hindsight, a lot of Sakurai's decisions on the roster make a lot of sense.
You are simply arguing semantics. If you assume this is a false rule, please give some another reason as to why certain games/genres are "fads" (or conversely are overlooked in recent generations) that quickly fade into obscurity and some don't. Isn't relevancy an appropriate term for this?

But on what grounds do you claim to know what developers find popular, and how are you so certain that it aligns with what the fans find popular? We've already discussed a difference in taste due to generational differences. For a 90s kid like me, the likes of Rareware, SEGA and Capcom are far more important to the industry than Activision and Ubisoft, despite the fact the latter two dominate the current industry whole the former three mostly dwindled.
I do not believe developers always reflect what the community wants. However, they heavily influence how much exposure a character gets.

Also, I never stated I dislike Banjo-Kazooie as a franchise (rather I believe that his influence on modern gaming is not as prevalent to other third parties).
Many kiddies today genuinely believe Shovel Knight genuinely has a chance on the roster due to his current popularity, which to a younger mind, that doesn't have the perception of the full picture, that seems like a sensible conclusion. But to someone older, like me, I say, "not a chance in hell" because Shovel Knight is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Sure, he's relevant now, but in the big picture, actually not at all.

Do you understand now how "relevance" is entirely subjective?
It's pointless to argue the relevancy of new characters because it doesn't apply to them. They aren't icons because they haven't had time to become icons. It is incredibly difficult to distinguish fads and icons. Most of it tends to boil down to personal preference.

Characters like Mega Man and Cloud have been around for decades. It is probably easier to define where they stand in modern gaming.
Except this is entirely false.

Banjo and Kazooie have still remained incredibly popular and beloved among the fans who grew up with them.

How quickly Yooka-Laylee got funded, the wildfire caused by Phil's tweet, and the amount of support they got in polls for the ballot all stand testament to this, and disprove your statement. In fact, DESPITE not having a game in years, the fact that they still have this much support and admiration, and this strong a fanbase, simply stands testament to how big they were in their peak. And if a true Banjo revival were to happen, a quality one I should clarify, I guarantee it would very quickly launch the two back on the radar. Hell, when Banjo-Threeie was first teased for 360, people went crazy, and it was one of the most hyped reveals of that E3, alongside Snake in Brawl. So there's evidence for this already.

See, you're mistaken, Banjo's fanbase hasn't dwindled, it has no reason to. The only thing that happened is that the industry has grown much bigger in the 15+ years they've been absent. But even still, this has happened to other characters as well: :4megaman:

And their importance in the industry hasn't been any lower.
It hasn't dwindled? I mean certainly we can asusme that, but if the new title's sales equate to Indie titles, I think it is fair to argue that his fanbase has diminished. Only time will tell. Your Banjo-Threeie example is definitely compelling though. Although that was 7-8 years ago.

You say "lasting popularity" but again, I bring up Shulk, where us his lasting popularity?

And as I've shown above, Banjo has demonstrated a considerable amount of lasting popularity for a character who's been out of the scene for over a decade?

So, again, what criteria are you gonna use to measure thus?

Number of appearances =/= popularity either. It simply = exposure.
I actually forgot to mention this. Doesn't exposure influence popularity and relevancy of a character? Compare Mega Man who did strong for four generations to Banjo Kazooie who had two games that did well for one.

I would refrain from bringing up Shulk as he is 1. A newer character (which I explained above) and 2. A first party (also explained above).
Likewise, I don't see how that's dragging anyone down, since the perception one has of an icon is purely subjective. And one could argue the bear and bird are on over all equal standing as the blue bomber, especially since the rise and fall of 3D collectathons mirrors that of the rise and fall if 2D action platformers.

If anything, I've yet to see a convincing argument for why they wouldn't be on the same foothold as Snake.
Snake definitely is a fair example to compare. However, he has also made an impact for several generations and still has done incredibly well up until this Komami fiasco.

I don't think Mega Man has really fallen though. I guess his games are incredibly difficult so it is slightly arguable that he doesn't appeal to modern audiences. But he's the face of Capcom, for crying out loud. Can you argue that Banjo has the same popularity as him?
Regardless of details however, as a former Nintendo mascot, the face of one of the most reputable and critically acclaimed devs in the history of gaming, and the kickstarter for the massive wave of mascots-based 3D collectathons (which Rayman, Crash, Spyro, Jak, and so many others, all tried to copy), I think their spot on the roster is well-earned.
You're free to believe that. I'm simply not certain these collect-a-thon characters have an influence to be considered an icon on the caliber of other third parties in the game.

Well, there is no 3rd party out there as relevant to Nintendo (see now THIS is more objective due to being qualifyable, and well, actually using the word correctly as per its definition, rather than as a vague trait.) than Banjo, considering he was a former Nintendo mascot. Being owned by Microsoft means squat if he's had more games on Nintendo platforns, stood side by side with Mario, and is still remembered for his Nintendo games.
This comment was irrelevant to my opinion of Banjo. I was just saying it in general. It's probably more important to **** like Steve who's being discussed a lot after the reveal yesterday. I do feel Banjo would fit in Smash.

As for "how popular a character will be with the Smash community..."

Ha!!! Clearly Sakurai doesn't care about that all, considering Cloud, WFT, Ryu, Ridley, etc...

He only cares about this in regard to keeping vets, but he doesn't always listen to fan demands, hence Ridley.

And even still, the Smash community as far as Sakurai is concerned wants to see K.Rool, Isaac, and Banjo... So...
Seriously? I said what Sakurai feel is likely to be popular, not what he feels is popular. Remember examples of "characters we never knew we wanted until we got them" like Cloud and Ryu? Those aren't popular in our polls. They are popular in general.

I also said whether they would fit into Smash as well. Ridley? Sakurai didn't think he would fit as a playable fighter. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes

Yeah, definitely. There are neat Nintendo picks that can be made still, but it's hard for me to get excited over those when it's more fun to aim for the stars with most ridiculous propositions that still has some sort of chance of making it. I'm setting myself up for being let down, but then again, there are very few characters I would actually be disappointed with.

I'm kind of guilty about speculating on non-Nintendo characters myself, but there's a problem in discussing Nintendo-based newcomers...
Nobody can agree on anything. Whatever Nintendo character people will speculate about, you'll get at least one person saying "NO, THAT'S A DUMB PICK; MINE IS MORE LIKELY." Doesn't matter if it's Ridley, Impa, K.Rool, Dixie, Wolf or anybody else, it'll inevitably end up with some people crying foul on what you want, which can just cause debate and then threads get heated.

And good luck if you have a character that's not conventional or cool that you want with all your heart; you'll have about 5 seconds before getting ripped to shreds by people. The speculation "community" is more like a group of cults rather than an actual community, most of the time.
Granted, it's not nearly as bad on here as I've seen it on GameFAQs, but there's still that lingering cultist idea where we separate each other into groups soely based on which fictional characters we want in a video game.
And here's the reason why I'm not really discussing more sensible picks.. everybody is right, but nobody is right, when it comes to those. This is all speculation that will ONLY lead us to being let down if taken seriously.

So I don't.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Really, there's a lot of candidates that can be interesting; it's just a matter of how much you will be opposed when supporting a dark horse character(and personally, I don't believe in "popular characters are boring" as a reason to support underdogs), what with people throwing out statements such as "your character and/or series has a 0% chance of getting DLC because the series is dead/the character is lesser known/this character from said series is better/whatever", just as a means of decrying the one you want.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Everyone's too caught up in their 'preconceived criteria'...most of which hasn't even been confirmed...on the contrary, it seems with each newcomer announced one or more 'fan-rules' get broken anyway...

Still waiting for that 'Assist Trophies can't be playable' rule to be broken (not holding my breath obviously)...just the fact I always feel the need to add a disclaimer every time I mention the possibility of an assist trophy being added should show how much faith I have in some people's acceptance...

Most of these people don't even consider how such things can be dealt with as opposed to looking into the possibilities...

Before Cloud was announced...people always assumed that Banjo & Kazooie was nothing more than a pipe-dream despite Phil Spencer's tweet...they always have cynical views stating 'well of course he'd want him in it's free advertising' as well as assuming that Nintendo wants nothing to do with anything Microsoft or Sony...or that a mutual agreement between the two was impossible...instead of being more open to the idea...

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Really, there's a lot of candidates that can be interesting; it's just a matter of how much you will be opposed when supporting a dark horse character(and personally, I don't believe in "popular characters are boring" as a reason to support underdogs), what with people throwing out statements such as "your character and/or series has a 0% chance of getting DLC because the series is dead/the character is lesser known/this character from said series is better/whatever", just as a means of decrying the one you want.
Yeah. I think one matter at play is how people go about getting support for a character. There's a fine line between talking up good characters and ideas and taking it to a super extreme, churning out propaganda for them or declaring them a shoo-in. People who were around pre-release and saw all the rambling about Dr. Kawashima and Hanafuda Guy ought to remember the latter, heh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is also just a disclaimer:

Posts that consist of nothing more than "are you guys seriously discussing ______? What have we come to?" are not to be made; they add nothing to the discussion and may be treated as spam. If you don't like the current discussion, either try to change the subject by bringing up another topic, or don't post.

There have been too many of these posts as of late.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Even then, you have people arguing for Ganon instead, or Zant, or Impa, or Midna, etc.

And just as there's people who dislike Falcondorf, many also like Falcondorf, too. You can't just **** on a whole group of people just because another group is whining about a moveset.
I hoped to imply that Toon Ganon as DLC would allow Falcondorf mains and people asking for a better rep would both get what they want.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On that note, I'll bring this up, since it's always fun to discuss, mainly from how, in my opinion, under-discussed it is. As unlikely as it is to happen, what would be your reaction to Henry Fleming? Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. may not have sold too well, but Sakurai is a fan of strategy games, so I wouldn't say it's impossible that he'd see potential and go with it, but still. How would you react? How would you like to see it done?

So I want Bandana Dee and Paper Mario
Thoughts?
I'm not that into Paper Mario, personally, but Bandana Dee could be fun.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Yeah. I think one matter at play is how people go about getting support for a character. There's a fine line between talking up good characters and ideas and taking it to a super extreme, churning out propaganda for them or declaring them a shoo-in. People who were around pre-release and saw all the rambling about Dr. Kawashima and Hanafuda Guy ought to remember the latter, heh.
As far as I'm concerned, if you can balance out recognizing obstacles towards a character's inclusion while simultaneously providing logical points as to why they could get in and respecting the opinions of anyone opposed to your idea(I know there's a difference between disagreeing with someone's choice and outright flaming them for it, which should also be recognized) then really, there shouldn't be any issue.

I mean, look at me, I think my most wanted is woefully unlikely, plus anyone saying ermagherd 0% chances, but I can see why they think that and simply agree to disagree. Mutual respect(which sadly is a rarity nowadays when it comes to character speculation).

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Personally, I don't care for the many fans who claim there aren't a lot of good Nintendo characters left. There are, however, characters that at some point in the future might make for an awkward newcomer cohort.

If Isaac and K.Rool aren't added, and don't have a new appearance and or game, their inclusion in the next Smash (so think several years down the road) will seem off the wall based on the reactions of some fans who don't follow Smash as closely as we do. Wonder Red would also meet a similar fate. I can't really think of too many other characters who are truly standout options.

Inklings on the other hand have quite a bit of popularity and are probably going to stick around.

I mean...I guess I KINDA agree, but mostly disagree. No matter how you slice it, there aren't a TON of high quality candidates left with appeal in spades.

The thing with 3rd parties is that they were never meant to represent Nintendo. That was fan criteria. The additions of Ryu and Cloud show that the 3rd parties are meant to represent gaming. The rest of the roster represents Nintendo well. All but 5 characters come from Nintendo games.

Anyway, I think we're getting that broadcast either by the end of this week, or sometime next week. It won't be any later than that imo.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
Personally, I don't care for the many fans who claim there aren't a lot of good Nintendo characters left. There are, however, characters that at some point in the future might make for an awkward newcomer cohort.

If Isaac and K.Rool aren't added, and don't have a new appearance and or game, their inclusion in the next Smash (so think several years down the road) will seem off the wall based on the reactions of some fans who don't follow Smash as closely as we do. Wonder Red would also meet a similar fate. I can't really think of too many other characters who are truly standout options.

Inklings on the other hand have quite a bit of popularity and are probably going to stick around.

I mean...I guess I KINDA agree, but mostly disagree. No matter how you slice it, there aren't a TON of high quality candidates left with appeal in spades.

The thing with 3rd parties is that they were never meant to represent Nintendo. That was fan criteria. The additions of Ryu and Cloud show that the 3rd parties are meant to represent gaming. The rest of the roster represents Nintendo well. All but 5 characters come from Nintendo games.

Anyway, I think we're getting that broadcast either by the end of this week, or sometime next week. It won't be any later than that imo.
they are announcing some thing on Thursday

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think a Trident wielding Ganondorf is a viable alternative to Sword Ganondorf thanks to Hyrule Warriors.

Honestly I felt it was plausible even before Hyrule Warriors. :p Sure, only the Pig form of Ganon's ever wielded one, but at the same time the only way Robin's able to wield Nosferatu is in his Dark Mage/Sorcerer class, yet he does so in Smash as a Tactician. It just cements my belief that if one form can do it, the other should be able to, as well. :p

Plus tridents are awesome. Aquaman's so fun in Injustice.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I want SO MANY characters that the roster might double in size.

But I'm gonna pick 5 of them just like that because 5 is a number that makes sense;
  • Paper Mario
  • Wolf
  • Inkling
  • Bomberman
  • Snake

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I have confidence that we'll get a Nintendo newcomer sometime soon.

All that remains is the question of WHO. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom