• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I want to ask some questions to everybody.

1-¿What was the first character that you ever wanted for Smash?
2-Out of all the characters you have desired, ¿Which were the ones that joined the roster?
3-In case your most wanted character made it in, ¿Are you satisfied how it turned it out?
1.) I was really young when I started playing Melee, and during Brawl I wasn't much for speculation (I just wanted to play as Wario). The earliest character I can remember really wanting was Tom Nook. I was really salty when Villager got announced.

2.) :wario:,:squirtle:,:4shulk:,:4pacman:

3.) My most wanted character never made it, but Pac-Man made me really happy, and Shulk... I just liked his design, never played his game.
Squirtle was my favorite Pokemon when Brawl came out, but I remember thinking the Trainer mechanic was really lame. Still do, honestly.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Actually another character I'd like to express a bit of disappointment in is :4robinm::4robinf:

Not because of how they play or anything, it's the fact that they gave them a default appearance.
They made they default look have the hood down, the first Robin you see is :4robinm:
and because of that we have

Male!Robin has gotten all of this attention because they made him the default look when they should've had the hood up to conceal which Robin it was.

Female!Robin is as much of an afterthought as she was in her own trailer.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Actually another character I'd like to express a bit of disappointment in is :4robinm::4robinf:

Not because of how they play or anything, it's the fact that they gave them a default appearance.
They made they default look have the hood down, the first Robin you see is :4robinm:

Male!Robin has gotten all of this attention because they made him the default look when they should've had the hood up to conceal which Robin it was.

On the flip-side, she still gets more love than Male Wii Fit Trainer, who didn't even appear in WFT's trailer at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Those two characters may be well-known, but Toad is still much more iconic than them due to his greater exposure from a much more famous franchise. If any Nintendo character (that isn't playable) can be argued to be is as famous as he is, it's probably Meowth or some other incredibly famous Pokemon character.

And probably King K.Rool to

Arguement invalid

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Please come back, Snake
He's keeping us waiting...

I mean after playing Awakening based on some of the conversations Male Robin > Female Robin (she is a little annoying in comparison I don't even know why since they are supposed to be the same person just different genders), even though when I (on the rare occasion) play as Robin I usually play as female Robin in her Olivia colours...

I feel like they could release a female Robin amiibo, but it's hard enough to find male Robin as is let alone a second female Robin...They should've really been featured on the same amiibo IMO...or given the G&W treatment where you can switch between the two...

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I want to ask some questions to everybody.

1-¿What was the first character that you ever wanted for Smash?
2-Out of all the characters you have desired, ¿Which were the ones that joined the roster?
3-In case your most wanted character made it in, ¿Are you satisfied how it turned it out?
1- Dark Matter
2- I never really speculated until after Brawl, and literally nobody new I wanted got in Smash 4, so I'll say :4jigglypuff: and :4lucas:. I was worried to death before release that Sakurai might've given in to the vocal hatebase/minority that wanted Jigglypuff gone so I was beyond relieved when she was leaked. :4lucas:I could live without but I still am happy he made it back. I'm a bit disgruntled though that I haven't gotten anyone new that I really like much. (I'm overly jealous aren't I? I really shouldn't be so bothered by not getting anything I want but I see others get what they want and that somehow makes it different. Sorry for my selfishness.)
3- Somewhat satisfied, Lucas is fine I guess, and I'm really, really, REALLY grateful for Puff's inclusion but
I'm kind of sad that Puff's viability keeps getting neglected over and over again, first Brawl, then Project M where they balanced literally everyone to a close level except :jigglypuff: and :popo:, then Smash U where she keeps on slipping behind every patch, being ignored. And you know what else, a lot of other low tiers's have been trying to legalize their hope and savior, custom moves, which offers her exactly nothing of use, so if they were to be implemented she'd just slip even further behind. I get that not every character can be equal, but when a character is bottom tier in the game before this, it really should be a priority to make sure she doesn't end up that way the next game.
I really shouldn't complain too much about that though, life isn't fair and neither is Smash, and in the end, regardless of how crappy she ends up being, she's my main, I'm just happy she's here.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Expect Midna to be like one of the most highly requested characters (probably within the top 10) for Smash among the Smash fanbase if she ends up in Zelda Wii U and continues to be a major character from that point. Considering that she is a well-received and popular character within her own franchise and comes from one of the biggest franchises Nintendo has (and one many believes should have gotten a newcomer character), well... let's just say those are favourable combinations.

Rosalina requests only started getting big after her confirmation as a playable character in 3D World. Robin picked up steam after Rosalina's confirmation for Smash due to increasing confidence that he could be picked over Chrom due to diversity.

"Toad's an All-Star? They're the heroic version of Goombas!"

*In a hypothetical scenario where Toad ends up as a playable Smash character*

"Well, of course he makes sense, Toad's an Nintendo icon and one of Nintendo's more heavily promoted characters with tons of merchandise and exposure to casual gamers!"
Everything about this post seems wrong to me, in every way.
Every word.

Even "the."
Yeah, I don't think there's really any doubt that Toad is the most recognizable character to the general public yet tobe added, barring a couple of more recent additions like Isabelle and Inkling. I remember an ad in Japan (was able to find it again by searching 'hipster Bowser', ha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piaTT5DFltY) last year for the 3DS in general that featured what I can only assume are what they see as their most marketable and recognizable characters and the only two that weren't in Smash were Isabelle (assist trophy) and Toad.
Well, if we count Toon Link as an entity, then Toon Zelda...
EDIT to prevent double post: Pokemon is an odd series to represent because the actual fleshed-out characters (as fleshed-out as Pokemon characters are, anyway) in the main series are almost always humans but the only way they fight is through their Pokemon so they don't have as clear-cut a moveset as the (very popular!) Pokemon themselves. Recently I've gotten really fond of the idea of adding a Pokemon Trainer character who uses unrepresented Pokemon through summons along with just throwing Pokeballs at his opponent or something. Even better would be to have all the alts be different trainers from the games but I'm not going to press my luck.
Thank you. Jesus.
Maybe in time I wont be a silent singularity.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
New Sakurai column on video game updates themselves.

He doesn't mention Smash directly, but it's still very interesting to see Sakurai's insights on this topic.
What I gathered:
1- He wants to ensure people keep buying and playing the games for which he chooses to provide patches
2- He sees bugs as a problem. A form of the game which is an unrepresentative model of the creators vision. There may be a correlation between this and PM's sudden flee.
3- We are all his guinea pigs.

Expect Midna to be like one of the most highly requested characters (probably within the top 10) for Smash among the Smash fanbase if she ends up in Zelda Wii U and continues to be a major character from that point. Considering that she is a well-received and popular character within her own franchise and comes from one of the biggest franchises Nintendo has (and one many believes should have gotten a newcomer character), well... let's just say those are favourable combinations.

Rosalina requests only started getting big after her confirmation as a playable character in 3D World. Robin picked up steam after Rosalina's confirmation for Smash due to increasing confidence that he could be picked over Chrom due to diversity.

"Toad's an All-Star? They're the heroic version of Goombas!"

*In a hypothetical scenario where Toad ends up as a playable Smash character*

"Well, of course he makes sense, Toad's an Nintendo icon and one of Nintendo's more heavily promoted characters with tons of merchandise and exposure to casual gamers!"
Midna is just one character from one franchise. She may be popular but she is absolutely not something I perceive to be one of the top ten requested characters. Bias seen.

Rosalina was big since Galaxy. She was a space driven Peach. Her reveal in Smash did of course make her more of a wanted character, but this is no different than Ryu or Cloud. The latter two were dismissed from being impossible for one reason, and Rosalina was dismissed for being Peach (which visually is still undeniable, and a clear choice on the creators' part).

Toad is an all star. Sorry. He is the 6th amiibo character in Mario. It wasnt Rosalina or Bowser Jr. He's an All Star. This is just a fact at this point, and I suppose I'm tired of arguing the point, because it isn't my opinion anymore, it is acknowledged by Nintendo in countless ways. The only thing confusing about him is the fact that Captain Toad's creators try to claim it isnt Toad, even though that seems like a business move and not a story move, as otherwise, Toadette is just a roaming ****. Sorry, Toad is the Captain, and Toad is the 6th most iconic Mario character. I'm not interested in this debate, because I don't care who acknowledges this clear fact, any longer.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I predict the Direct will be sometime in mid-December. It would be the perfect time to generate hype and sales for Christmas.

Forgot to mention that the Pokemon Company has a lot to do with the roster choices. The Pokemon Company is very picky with their IP; notice how Pokemon amiibo missed the opportunity to be used twice. The Pokemon Company probably asks Sakurai to add only certain Pokemon, and I think that alone heavily affects the Pokemon roster.
I really wish the Pokémon Company wasn't so overprotective of their IP. The idea of something like a Pokémon course being in Mario Kart would be so cool, but it will never happen because of how stubborn they are... what a shame.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Honestly, I have no intere
I really wish the Pokémon Company wasn't so overprotective of their IP. The idea of something like a Pokémon course being in Mario Kart would be so cool, but it will never happen because of how stubborn they are... what a shame.
The Pokemon Company is totally going through their "teenage phase", from my view. They don't want to be tied to Nintendo, Mario Maker and Woolly World kind of make that clear. They are so stubborn and uncooperative with their Nintendo and even their own fanbase these days.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Honestly, I have no intere

The Pokemon Company is totally going through their "teenage phase", from my view. They don't want to be tied to Nintendo, Mario Maker and Woolly World kind of make that clear. They are so stubborn and uncooperative with their Nintendo and even their own fanbase these days.
Game Freak also refused to put that Tembo Elephant game on the Wii U.

Toad is an all star. Sorry. He is the 6th amiibo character in Mario. It wasnt Rosalina or Bowser Jr. He's an All Star. This is just a fact at this point, and I suppose I'm tired of arguing the point, because it isn't my opinion anymore, it is acknowledged by Nintendo in countless ways. The only thing confusing about him is the fact that Captain Toad's creators try to claim it isnt Toad, even though that seems like a business move and not a story move, as otherwise, Toadette is just a roaming ****. Sorry, Toad is the Captain, and Toad is the 6th most iconic Mario character. I'm not interested in this debate, because I don't care who acknowledges this clear fact, any longer.
I know that Daisy isn't as big as Toad, but I've seen quite a few people request her and say she's more deserving than other Mario reps.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
all of yall are gonna be ultra-salty when dec. broadcast rolls out and it's sakurai saying "cloud wolf pichu, also just maintenance and balance from here out, peace ya'll. pm nerds get btfo"

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Rosalina was big since Galaxy. She was a space driven Peach. Her reveal in Smash did of course make her more of a wanted character, but this is no different than Ryu or Cloud. The latter two were dismissed from being impossible for one reason, and Rosalina was dismissed for being Peach (which visually is still undeniable, and a clear choice on the creators' part).
I know she was a popular character since Galaxy. I was specifically talking about her fan-demand among the hardcore Smash fanbase, not about her general popularity.

I know. I was making fun of the fact that the only reason why people didn't see Toad's merits and are willing to dismiss him vocally is because he isn't in Smash and if he was in Smash, many of those people who argued against him would suddenly turn around and act as if they always believed in him. You know, hindsight bias.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Midna is just one character from one franchise. She may be popular but she is absolutely not something I perceive to be one of the top ten requested characters. Bias seen.
Maybe not now, but if she starts becomes a recurring character, even if it's one game, I 100% guarantee you this will change.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Maybe not now, but if she starts becomes a recurring character, even if it's one game, I 100% guarantee you this will change.
Yo.
If Midna becames more of a staple.
I'm gonna be really upset because then /She's/ the one with the most credentials to rival Ganon.
Currently, that's Tingle.
And I far prefer the Ganon vs Tingle match up than pitting him to Midna's fanboys xD

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yo.
I'm gonna be really upset because then /She's/ the one with the most credentials to rival Ganon.
And I far prefer the Ganon vs Tingle match up than pitting him to Midna's fanboys xD
You know that the mischeivous Imp Princess > the Pig Demon :troll:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yo.
I'm inclined to ask why.
Tingle get added would be the very first character I'd deem to be a "blemish" on the roster.
I'd really like if we got Ganon and Midna (or a comparably popular character, like Skull Kid or Tetra)

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Can we all just agree Metroid needs some more loving? And no, I don't mean Ridley. No need to re-open that can of controversy.
Fine then let's get
! Metroid Prime needs more love in general...her assist trophy isn't cutting it so let's make her playable!!!

and bring a Phendrana Drifts stage while we are at it!!!

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm inclined to ask why.
Tingle get added would be the very first character I'd deem to be a "blemish" on the roster.
I'd really like if we got Ganon and Midna (or a comparably popular character, like Skull Kid or Tetra)
Why is Tingle the most likely character for Zelda that isn;t Ganon currently?
Because a) he's become a fairly common staple who's not really changed. Nullifying the big matters for the likes of Skull Kid/Midna/Ghirahim who lack a prescence and Impa who keeps changing.
b) The only character besides Link and Zelda to be the protagonist of a game. Infact, he technically is the protagonist of 3 games.

My personal stance on it.

ShadyClash

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zachmobile
Fine then let's get
! Metroid Prime needs more love in general...her assist trophy isn't cutting it so let's make her playable!!!

For certain! Prime definitely got dealt a bad hand in Smash 4. But I feel as though if Prime was to make a comeback, Sylux would probably be the flag barer. Since it's going to be a major role in Prime 4.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Because a) he's become a fairly common staple who's not really changed. Nullifying the big matters for the likes of Skull Kid/Midna/Ghirahim who lack a prescence and Impa who keeps changing.
b) The only character besides Link and Zelda to be the protagonist of a game. Infact, he technically is the protagonist of 3 games.

I just think the fact Tingle has yet to actually be a prominent Zelda character hurts him.
His only noteworthy role is in The Wind Waker...in what is considered to be the worst part of game....

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

You know what else Tingle has that the other Zelda characters don't...a vocal hatebase...(Aonuma is aware of this and has even recommended Tecmo not to add him into Hyrule Warriors which they eventually did and got negative feedback in return)

For certain! Prime definitely got dealt a bad hand in Smash 4. But I feel as though if Prime was to make a comeback, Sylux would probably be the flag barer. Since it's going to be a major role in Prime 4.
I don't...Dark Samus is the titular character and main antagonist of the series and Sylux as of now is literally just a side boss...it's recently revealed future (which is still years away mind you) is not enough for it to stand as a representative of the Trilogy compared to that of Dark Samus...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I just think the fact Tingle has yet to actually be a prominent Zelda character hurts him.
His only noteworthy role is in The Wind Waker...in what is considered to be the worst part of game....
You know what else Tingle has that the other Zelda characters don't...a vocal hatebase...(Aonuma is aware of this and has even recommended Tecmo not to add him into Hyrule Warriors which they eventually did and got negative feedback in return)
Don't get me wrong.
He's unlikely by a wide margin.
And one who'd cause some massive flame spikers.
I just think that him actually having games of his own put him above a number of others people normally bring up for Zelda characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Don't get me wrong.
I just think that him actually having games of his own put him above a number of others people normally bring up for Zelda characters.
Well, I can agree with that.
I'm not sure that's actually why he got held back.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
It seems like Sakurai wants

1. All Smash veterans

2. Gamings greatest icons

Since this is his final Smash, it makes sense why he would be going for these. He wants to go out with a bang.

At this rate, I wouldn't bat an eye if Master Chief got in.
I really hope he wants to bring all the veterans back. Then smash would finally have every veteran back, and the ultimate battle could begin.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I guess people don't like him cause he's not serious enough...
7.8/10 Not enough edge.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
Can we all just agree Metroid needs some more loving? And no, I don't mean Ridley. No need to re-open that can of controversy.
I can certainly agree. Poor Metroid has been getting the shaft for quite awhile now. Not just in Smash Bros either.

Fine then let's get

Totally agree with more Prime stuff. I'd like Dark Samus and think she could be fun, but I've wanted the other three hunters from 3 for awhile now. I think Gandrayda, Ghor, and Rundas would all be really unique and fun fighters. Hard to implement and lacking in popularity maybe, but I think they'd be worth it.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
You know what Zelda character I want in Smash?

Vaati.

He'd be so cool. I mean, he's the most reoccurring Zelda boss aside from Ganon, so that must count for something, right?

ShadyClash

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zachmobile
I don't...Dark Samus is the titular character and main antagonist of the series and Sylux as of now is literally just a side boss...it's recently revealed future (which is still years away mind you) is not enough for it to stand as a representative of the Trilogy compared to that of Dark Samus...
Hey, to each their own. There's lots of ways to look at it and plenty of things Sakurai could do with Dark Samus and Sylux. But at the end of the day, I'm still gonna push for Sylux to get in. Not to say I'm against Dark Samus, though. She would be great! I respect your opinion.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
To be completely fair, Dark Samus' story is done.

Relevance matters to Sakurai to an extent, and considering that Dark Samus has been stated to be done for by Kensuke Tanabe, her relevance will drop like a rock between now and the next Smash should the next Prime come out by then. That and she ain't getting in this time.

Not that I think Sylux is extremely likely right now, mind you, and I'd accept any of the three as newcomers. There's a reality to be seen, though.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Don't get me wrong.
Even though Midna and Skull Kid each had one starring roles in the Zelda series they still have a bigger presence in the series compared to Tingle...Both have or are getting remakes of their respective games as well as playable roles and an involvment in Hyrule Warriors (though it is still yet to be seen if Tingle will have any active part in HWL as well) Midna has an amiibo (while Skull Kid was planned to have one)...

Well, I can agree with that.

I'm not sure that's actually why he got held back.
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/05/aonuma-told-the-hyrule-warriors-team-not-to-add-tingle/

I guess people don't like him cause he's not serious enough...
7.8/10 Not enough edge.
tbh Nintendo could do with more serious themes in more of their games...I'm not saying they should make their own GTA and M rated slaughter fests, but sometimes stepping out of their 'family friendly' mindset at times can be beneficial especially if they want to expand their fanbase (and actually start selling more console units) games like Xenoblade for example are a step in the right direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom